The Official LeStudio Thread

YYZ Working Man

If they had any sense they would sell it to someone who would fix it up as a museum or something.

I think at this point it's way beyond fixing up. It would cost a small fortune and its location is kind of out of the way of any real tourism to recoup the costs. It was in bad shape when I visited there last June. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Yeah I know, it was just wishful thinking.

• Like 3

Here is a current picture of the SSL 4000 console that once had a home at LeStudio. A few Rush albums were recorded using this console including Moving Pictures. It is now in use a Tree Sound Studios in Atlanta. The studio it is part of is called "Studio 11" after the serial number of the console.

http://www.jd-photography.net/pics/number11.jpg

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 3

Its a shame that this place was left to rot. Would have loved to see it turned in to some kind of resort or hotel. Of course its so dilapidated now, its future is basically sealed.

Here is a current picture of the SSL 4000 console that once had a home at LeStudio. A few Rush albums were recorded using this console including Moving Pictures. It is now in use a Tree Sound Studios in Atlanta. The studio it is part of is called "Studio 11" after the serial number of the console.

No kidding - a friend of mine worked at Tree studios about 10 years ago and I visited there. Any idea how long it's been at Tree?

• Like 1

No kidding - a friend of mine worked at Tree studios about 10 years ago and I visited there. Any idea how long it's been at Tree?

Just texted my friend and he confirmed he worked on this console; I probably touched it and never knew it!:

Yes I did... quite a lot. Rush's Moving Pictures (you can see it in the video for Limelight), some Triumph records, and bits of The Police's Synchronicity. It's the eleventh overall SSL console made (hench Studio 11) and 2nd "E" series. It was at Le Studio for about 7-8 years then ended up in Atlanta at Cheshire Sound before Tree Sound owner Paul got in the early 90's. Putting that room together at Tree was one of the first things I got to do as an intern waaaay back in '98.
  • Like 3

Just texted my friend and he confirmed he worked on this console; I probably touched it and never knew it!

You "touched it"?! Holy shit!

A few years back, I went to the Orbit Room, drank some beers, then took a piss a few times. I probably pissed in the same urinals that Lifeson has used!

:poke:

• Like 2

Just texted my friend and he confirmed he worked on this console; I probably touched it and never knew it!

You "touched it"?! Holy shit!

A few years back, I went to the Orbit Room, drank some beers, then took a piss a few times. I probably pissed in the same urinals that Lifeson has used!

:poke:

I know, right! hahaha

• Like 1

Just texted my friend and he confirmed he worked on this console; I probably touched it and never knew it!:

Yes I did... quite a lot. Rush's Moving Pictures (you can see it in the video for Limelight), some Triumph records, and bits of The Police's Synchronicity. It's the eleventh overall SSL console made (hench Studio 11) and 2nd "E" series. It was at Le Studio for about 7-8 years then ended up in Atlanta at Cheshire Sound before Tree Sound owner Paul got in the early 90's. Putting that room together at Tree was one of the first things I got to do as an intern waaaay back in '98.

I live about an hour from Tree Sound. I tried to see if I could visit to see the console but had trouble getting a visit scheduled. I was going to take them a small piece of the LeStudio floor I picked up when I visited there last June.

• Like 2

There is a person on Facebook that is collecting money to fix it up and people are donating to it. It doesn't belong to them so whatever money they're collecting sounds like it's going in their own pocket.

I thought triumph did all their work at metal works in mississauga. Gil Moore ( Drummer ) still owns it.

When did they mix on the SSL at LeStudio??

The console was installed at LeStudio between PeW and MP and was there until 1985. Tree Sound acquired it in 1991. I guess it changed hands a few times between 85 and 91. Basically LeStudio just broke it in for Tree Sound. I'm sure the console has much more of a legacy at Tree Sound. They have a pretty impressive client list....except for Rush!

Edited by Mr. JD

There is a person on Facebook that is collecting money to fix it up and people are donating to it. It doesn't belong to them so whatever money they're collecting sounds like it's going in their own pocket.

Yeah, I just saw that. The person doesn't even have up how they intend to do it or anything; it pretty much seems like a scam. :( :(

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Yeah, I just saw that. The person doesn't even have up how they intend to do it or anything; it pretty much seems like a scam. :( :(

You probably saw some of my comments as well. I can't believe people are donating money to this guy. He's posted all over the groups.

• Like 1

You probably saw some of my comments as well. I can't believe people are donating money to this guy. He's posted all over the groups.

After reading some of his comments, I should say, it looks like a huge scam! :o The things that people donate to, it makes you wonder.

• Like 1

After reading some of his comments, I should say, it looks like a huge scam! :o The things that people donate to, it makes you wonder.

I'm seriously surprised that the admins for the groups aren't getting rid of the posts.

• Like 1

I'm seriously surprised that the admins for the groups aren't getting rid of the posts.

Who Richard Baxter??????????????????

• Like 1

Umm, yes.

Umm, yes.

He has been trying to raise money to "rebuild" for a long time. His efforts never really got any traction.

Umm, yes.

He has been trying to raise money to "rebuild" for a long time. His efforts never really got any traction.

That is interesting, I wasn't familiar with the name. He is providing people with a t-shirt for a donation, but I just feel like if a person is serious about something like that, file the right paperwork for a non profit etc and set it up correctly so that people know where their money is going and what is planned. Otherwise they are just selling t shirts. I guess most of the people donating to the crowd funding place realize that; but maybe some don't?

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Umm, yes.

That is interesting, I wasn't familiar with the name. He is providing people with a t-shirt for a donation, but I just feel like if a person is serious about something like that, file the right paperwork for a non profit etc and set it up correctly so that people know where their money is going and what is planned. Otherwise they are just selling t shirts. I guess most of the people donating to the crowd funding place realize that; but maybe some don't?

I think most probably don't. The whole thing just seems suspicious and the way he types like a used car salesman doesn't help.

• Like 3