Computer Audio Trouble

Principled Man

For the past few months, I've been getting random buzzes from the sound system, which is hooked up to my Dell XPS desktop. I fear that it's my sound card, but I have no experience with that part of my computer. My current sound system is a small Logitech 5.1 system. I don't want to go buy a new set of speakers and then find out that it's my sound card.

Anyone have similar troubles? Are there any computer diagnostics that I can do to find out what's causing the buzzes? It's really irritating..... :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

• Like 1

Does the problem happen both when the laptop is plugged in and when it's running on battery? If it only happens when it's plugged in then you may have an issue with that circuit not being grounded correctly. Try plugging it in in another part of the house (different circuit).

Try swapping out the connecting cables to test if that is the problem.

Does the problem happen both when the laptop is plugged in and when it's running on battery? If it only happens when it's plugged in then you may have an issue with that circuit not being grounded correctly. Try plugging it in in another part of the house (different circuit).

Try swapping out the connecting cables to test if that is the problem.

It's a Dell XPS desktop.

I've had the speaker system for at least two years. The buzzing started a couple of months ago.

Edited by Principled Man

Try borrowing some speakers from somewhere or try your ones out on a different computer to see if they're not causing the problems :) . Do you know if your laptop desktop (SORRY!! But the same principles still apply whatever it is) drivers are up to date (you can find out on the Dell website)? Could it be your audio jack connection. They tend to get their wires pulled quite a bit. Edited by LittleRushmonkey

Try borrowing some speakers from somewhere or try your ones out on a different computer to see if they're not causing the problems :) . Do you know if your laptop l drivers are up to date (you can find out on the Dell website)? Could it be your audio jack connection. They tend to get their wires pulled quite a bit.

It is a DESKTOP.....not a laptop.

I am in the process of trying other speakers and checking all my wiring. Got my huge desk pulled out and I'm cleaning and vaccuming the computer and everything. It was overdue for a cleaning anyway...

This is turning into a major chore!! :doh: I will survive it...... :D :D

Yes, the easiest way to diagnose it would be to try other speakers and see if it does the same thing. If it's still buzzing, it could very well be the sound card. Maybe plug another computer (if available) into the same speakers and see if the buzzing persists.

Replacing a sound card is pretty easy if it comes down to that, probably one of the easiest things I've ever had to do with the tower.

I've had that on and off through my desktop speakers for years. Never have figured out what's up with it. Even a different computer and a different house. It only seems to last for a little while and then stops. I always chalked it up to solar flares. :D

I wonder why I thought it was a laptop? :oops:

Because people who buy desktops (such as yours truly) are all but extinct? :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Because people who buy desktops (such as yours truly) are all but extinct? :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

I'm a desktop girl!

I'm a desktop girl!

Don't let Sheldon hear that, he'll take it the wrong way.

I'm a desktop girl!

Deskboy, deskgirl

Roll your desk chairs round the world

Let your disk drives walk and talk

And set you free.....

;) ;)

• Like 2

I built mine last summer, thank you very much!

I'm a desktop girl!

Don't let Sheldon hear that, he'll take it the wrong way.

Sheldon takes everything the wrong way! :D

I'm a desktop girl!

Deskboy, deskgirl

Roll your desk chairs round the world

Let your disk drives walk and talk

And set you free.....

;) ;)

Wait, I thought the "worst lines in a Rush song" thread was over there ;)

• Like 1

I got onto some Dell troubleshooting forums, and other people have had the same problem.

Taking their advice, I uninstalled some Dell devices that were downloaded in the last couple of months. So far, I haven't heard any stuttering or buzzing.

Keeping my fingers crossed!! :) :) :)

• Like 1

For the past few months, I've been getting random buzzes from the sound system, which is hooked up to my Dell XPS desktop. I fear that it's my sound card, but I have no experience with that part of my computer. My current sound system is a small Logitech 5.1 system. I don't want to go buy a new set of speakers and then find out that it's my sound card.

Anyone have similar troubles? Are there any computer diagnostics that I can do to find out what's causing the buzzes? It's really irritating..... :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Same here,

Thinking its a wiring problem with the speakers. Never thought about it being within the computer.