Will Rush Add More Shows

Shemp

We're debating different points. I agree they should stop touring whenever please, like professional athletes they leave it all on the field. As you age the physical gets harder. My point is shedding a tear on touring because they are separated from the families is a lesser deal. Family and friends can join them on tour dates, they can sneak home during the tour.

Maybe you got the wrong idea from my posts. It had nothing to do with being separated from their families even if that did come at a high cost. Thankfully, all of them were with the right kind of woman. I would say most women couldn't do it.

The only point I am and have been trying to make is the physical and mental toll it takes on them. Even in the eighties, Geddy had said how after one tour, it might have been Grace Under Pressure or Hold Your Fire, how they (he and Alex) came home sick and very tired and how their families had become strangers to them. It was at that point that they decided to cut Europe off when it came to touring, and to take a ten day vacation to go back home every few weeks during a tour.

Edited by Lorraine

Exactly, people think the whole rock star thing is easy peasy, glam wine women and wealth.

It can be that.

But it's grueling. Much harder on the body and mind than most vocations. Not all. But most.

Playing your guts out night after night in front of 20k people for 40 years?

Try it.

You'd be lucky to last 10. Much less near a half century.

And comparing touring to deployment is hardly a fair nor appropriate comparison. Geez. Nothing trumps active duty on the ground during wartime, duh. Using that as a watermark is ridiculous.

Edited by Bard
  • Like 2

Even in the eighties, Geddy had said how after one tour, it might have been Grace Under Pressure or Hold Your Fire, how they (he and Alex) came home sick and very tired and how their families had become strangers to them. It was at that point that they decided to cut Europe off when it came to touring, and to take a ten day vacation to go back home every few weeks during a tour.

Sounds like smart solutions to the touring problem. I wasn't there so I'm asking. How much of that could have been caused by life style choices they were making touring back then?

Bard, they have not been touring for 40 years. I'm not commenting on stage performing each night either but let's not kid our selves. These guys aren't riding around in converted old school buses.

They tour in comfort? Now they do. That's recent. How about the decades they went from city to city, town to town, in a bus? How about the very long time they slept five or more in a room?

You don't think touring takes a toll. You do it. Go on a major tour with a band. Let's see how you do.

My wife and I did a road trip last month on the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to Seattle. Very enjoyable. But the different hotel every night got old and I really really really missed my dog. So yeah road life sucks after a while no matter how comfortable.

And comparing touring to deployment is hardly a fair nor appropriate comparison. Geez. Nothing trumps active duty on the ground during wartime, duh. Using that as a watermark is ridiculous.

Yep. Reminds me of that idiotic statement made years ago by Kellen Winslow Jr comparing a football game to war... :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Even in the eighties, Geddy had said how after one tour, it might have been Grace Under Pressure or Hold Your Fire, how they (he and Alex) came home sick and very tired and how their families had become strangers to them. It was at that point that they decided to cut Europe off when it came to touring, and to take a ten day vacation to go back home every few weeks during a tour.

Sounds like smart solutions to the touring problem. I wasn't there so I'm asking. How much of that could have been caused by life style choices they were making touring back then?

Bard, they have not been touring for 40 years. I'm not commenting on stage performing each night either but let's not kid our selves. These guys aren't riding around in converted old school buses.

Touring is a grind. It takes a heavy toll. You're just romanticizing it, which is fine. But the travel requirements alone are enough to break the average joe, believe it. That's one of the main reasons why there's only a few bands at the arena level who've done it consistently for over 25 years. It takes a unique breed to do it, even more unique to do it successfully.

• Like 1

So I'm curious have they actually said this is the final tour? Only last tour of this magnitude right? And the interviews have literally avoided stating that these are the final shows. So if Occam's Razor states the answer with the least assumptions is the correct answer than the correct answer is this isn't the end.

I personally have no idea, the world kind of works that way. The fact that anyone in here is saying they know for sure is pretty funny. But hey, when it's anonymous on the internet who cares what you say. Right, Bard?

With logic and basic reasoning of information while using the least amount of assumptions it seems to be no, this isn't the end. But at the end of the day anyone claiming to know anything for certain is probably the least correct.

If you knew what has been happening "behind the scenes", you'd have a very different take on it. This IS the end. Neil will NEVER tour again. Take that to the bank.

This still isn't official and can never be official, you understand that right?

I am pretty sure you don't work for the band I think it's your friends with someone who does? Even if you do it's still hearsay and that's why it can't be taken to the bank. Because you aren't Rush.

Stage 1: Denial

Maybe? But if August 1st was Rush's last show, I would not mind. I'm good with it, what a great tour it's been. I am just confused when the only official word is they don't know. Why are people who aren't the band pretending they know? That just seems really disrespectful to me. Really rude towards Geddy, Alex and Neil. When you make guesses about the world and the future you're supposed to use hard fact and the least assumptions. I'm doing that and the hard fact is they haven't said they are done and we don't know. People claiming to know the future without a doubt have already admitted they don't understand it.

I think this is a very underrated post. You're absolutely right.

Thank you it seems like a lot of people missed the main point I was trying to make. How disrespectful it is to be close to the band and then blab on the internet about their personal feelings and to be sure of what they are feeling without being them. It obviously goes against what they want said since they are saying vague things in interviews. But maybe they don't care that their friend is talking about them on a forum and speaking for them. I would if someone who worked for me did, but maybe they don't care. I don't know how they think or feel about everything. And I don't pretend to know.

But everyone replied, you're so selfish for not wanting the band to end.

How can people not realize they won't say when they are retiring?

Maybe not directly but I think they were arguing points that very few people were making in recent posts.

• Like 2

Thank you it seems like a lot of people missed the main point I was trying to make. How disrespectful it is to be close to the band and then blab on the internet about their personal feelings and to be sure of what they are feeling without being them. It obviously goes against what they want said since they are saying vague things in interviews. But maybe they don't care that their friend is talking about them on a forum and speaking for them. I would if someone who worked for me did, but maybe they don't care. I don't know how they think or feel about everything. And I don't pretend to know.

Maybe not directly but I think they were arguing points that very few people were making in recent posts.

Anybody that knows the future, or whether or not there is one for the band is full of shit. Bard is talking out his ass and others that cling to every little tiny word of Geddy or Alex are doing the same

Anybody that knows the future, or whether or not there is one for the band is full of shit. Bard is talking out his ass and others that cling to every little tiny word of Geddy or Alex are doing the same

Ah, if only you knew what is known.

An interesting perspective is why any fan would advocate for retirement.

Think about it. It's not too hard. ;)

Tons of people have advocated retirement for the band. For the past ten years on here everyone has been saying after each tour "Time for them to hang it up, the next tour is probably the last" This year doesn't feel that much different to last year. People we're saying they were for sure done after the 2013 leg. I was saying no way, you're an idiot, to those people. Now I'm saying you may be right to you. But that doesn't make you less arrogant or annoying thinking you know something we don't. I'm going to try and be as amazing as you and reach into the minds and harness the feelings of Alex, Geddy and Neil. What I mean by that is I bet if they saw you speaking for them like this they probably would think you're an arrogant jackass. Especially if you knew them personally, that would make it so much worse.

But actually my bet is worthless because I have no clue how they would handle it, just like you.

Edited by kentpilot
  • Like 1

They tour in comfort? Now they do. That's recent. How about the decades they went from city to city, town to town, in a bus? How about the very long time they slept five or more in a room?

You don't think touring takes a toll. You do it. Go on a major tour with a band. Let's see how you do.

I'm a big music fan and I still can't comprehend how bands are able to tour all the time. Especially, the ones who haven't reached the status of Rush and have to travel on a tour bus from town to town. Which is still the vast majority of them. Imagine how messed up your body clock would be for the whole tour. When you eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, shower, do your laundry, etc. must be so out of wack that I can't imagine how they deal with it. Being away from home and on the road for so long has to drive most musicians insane. No wonder so many of them are out of their minds and turn to drugs and alcohol. That's the only way most of them can deal with it.

Touring is brutal. I'm sure it's nice that bands get to travel and see a lot of places that they normally wouldn't otherwise. Traveling is only part of it though after all those miles between shows, the band still has to summon the energy to go up on stage and play a set. Whether they're opening or headlining, that's a lot to give each night. It's certainly not a job I would want.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I'm a big music fan and I still can't comprehend how bands are able to tour all the time. Especially, the ones who haven't reached the status of Rush and have to travel on a tour bus from town to town. Which is still the vast majority of them. Imagine how messed up your body clock would be for the whole tour. When you eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, shower, do your laundry, etc. must be so out of wack that I can't imagine how they deal with it. Being away from home and on the road for so long has to drive most musicians insane. No wonder so many of them are out of their minds and turn to drugs and alcohol. That's the only way most of them can deal with it.

Touring is brutal. I'm sure it's nice that bands get to travel and see a lot of places that they normally wouldn't otherwise. Traveling is only part of it though after all those miles between shows, the band still has to summon the energy to go up on stage and play a set. Whether they're opening or headlining, that's a lot to give each night. It's certainly not a job I would want.

I often wonder what it is like being them.

Can you imagine how it must feel to get on stage and look out at ten, fifteen, twenty thousand people sitting there - just for you?

Edited by Lorraine

Enlighten me

• Like 1

How many bands make it to 40 years? A tiny miniscule percentage. One of the reasons we all love Rush is that underneath all the rock star stuff, they seem like pretty normal guys - foibles and all. That is probably one of the big reasons that they lasted. They have been able to laugh at themselves when required and not take the rock star life too seriously. Relating to an earlier post, Rush has been a big part of my life for longer than most on this forum. I was into them at age 14 and I am now 54. But they owe me nothing - I owe them actually. If this is it, I will be just as happy as if they announce they are going on. Maybe one of the reasons they don't announce it is because saying it definitively is VERY tough and very sad for them. It has to be huge for them to admit this to themselves, let alone to us.
  • Like 1

Maybe one of the reasons they don't announce it is because saying it definitively is VERY tough and very sad for them. It has to be huge for them to admit this to themselves, let alone to us.

I'm guessing that's part of it, especially for Geddy. Actually saying it's over, voicing that finality leads to another level of emotions that they may not be ready to deal with yet. Especially when they're still trying to put on upbeat, entertaining shows. They probably made a deal to not discuss the future until after the tour, even though they know Neil has already decided.

• Like 1

Maybe one of the reasons they don't announce it is because saying it definitively is VERY tough and very sad for them. It has to be huge for them to admit this to themselves, let alone to us.

I'm guessing that's part of it, especially for Geddy. Actually saying it's over, voicing that finality leads to another level of emotions that they may not be ready to deal with yet. Especially when they're still trying to put on upbeat, entertaining shows. They probably made a deal to not discuss the future until after the tour, even though they know Neil has already decided.

I keep wondering what goes through their minds when they keep getting asked over and over if this is the last tour.

• Like 1

Tons of people have advocated retirement for the band. For the past ten years on here everyone has been saying after each tour "Time for them to hang it up, the next tour is probably the last" This year doesn't feel that much different to last year. People we're saying they were for sure done after the 2013 leg. I was saying no way, you're an idiot, to those people. Now I'm saying you may be right to you. But that doesn't make you less arrogant or annoying thinking you know something we don't. I'm going to try and be as amazing as you and reach into the minds and harness the feelings of Alex, Geddy and Neil. What I mean by that is I bet if they saw you speaking for them like this they probably would think you're an arrogant jackass. Especially if you knew them personally, that would make it so much worse.

But actually my bet is worthless because I have no clue how they would handle it, just like you.

It really doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not. I know what I know, and I know Rush is hangin' it up after this tour. If you can't read the signs, that's okay. It's up to each individual to decide how they want to process it.

Couldn't agree more. Touring is a BEAR.

Enlighten me

This is the last tour.

You're welcome. :)

Enlighten me

This is the last tour.

You're welcome. :)

head-up-ass.jpg

• Like 3

I keep wondering what goes through their minds when they keep getting asked over and over if this is the last tour.

i guess it would depend on who is being asked the question. Geddy would probably like it not to be. Alex is probably in the middle. And Neil has his mind made up.

• Like 1

i guess it would depend on who is being asked the question. Geddy would probably like it not to be. Alex is probably in the middle. And Neil has his mind made up.

Sure, but I was thinking more in an emotional way. After doing it for so many years there has got to be some feelings behind it.

Even though he has made many of his feelings clear through the years, Neil is a very passionate musician, this idea he 'has made his mind up' seems to go against how involved he has been in the art of drumming. This is also an important part of his life I think. Some of this feels a little too funeral like and I guess it just seems to diminish how much creating and making music must mean to them. Nonetheless, I made plans to take in as much as possible this time, all the way to the Forum!
  • Like 1

Even though he has made many of his feelings clear through the years, Neil is a very passionate musician, this idea he 'has made his mind up' seems to go against how involved he has been in the art of drumming. This is also an important part of his life I think. Some of this feels a little too funeral like and I guess it just seems to diminish how much creating and making music must mean to them. Nonetheless, I made plans to take in as much as possible this time, all the way to the Forum!

It's sad, no doubt. I'm sure they all have many other interests OUTSIDE music they'd like to pursue, as well a little something called family.

• Like 1

So I'm curious have they actually said this is the final tour? Only last tour of this magnitude right? And the interviews have literally avoided stating that these are the final shows. So if Occam's Razor states the answer with the least assumptions is the correct answer than the correct answer is this isn't the end.

I personally have no idea, the world kind of works that way. The fact that anyone in here is saying they know for sure is pretty funny. But hey, when it's anonymous on the internet who cares what you say. Right, Bard?

With logic and basic reasoning of information while using the least amount of assumptions it seems to be no, this isn't the end. But at the end of the day anyone claiming to know anything for certain is probably the least correct.

If you knew what has been happening "behind the scenes", you'd have a very different take on it. This IS the end. Neil will NEVER tour again. Take that to the bank.

This still isn't official and can never be official, you understand that right?

I am pretty sure you don't work for the band I think it's your friends with someone who does? Even if you do it's still hearsay and that's why it can't be taken to the bank. Because you aren't Rush.

Stage 1: Denial

Stage 1 is anger:

"f***in' captain Ed! Joint sucker, f***in' cocksmoker!"

"Probably not even a captain"

"Did you see how f***in' fat that f***in' lardass was?"

The second stage is denial.

• Like 3