Will Rush Add More Shows

Shemp

To all who are holding out hope for more tour dates either in the US or abroad, now, or anytime in the future - IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Stop torturing yourselves and accept it. Howard knows it and tells it like it is. Geddy & Alex, for some reason, don't want to come right out and say it, but in their hearts, they know it's true. The Emperor, I mean... Neil, will NEVER make a formal announcement about it, but this is it for him, forever.

Only problem is that Al explicitly said that he's open to short tours and limited performing.

That's just interview talk.

They're not the kind of band that's going to officially announce retirement. No matter how many of you insist it should be otherwise.

Sometimes people just want to head into retirement without fanfare. What makes any of you think that the members of Rush, given their humility to date, aren't like this?

LOL, the only way some of you are going to accept their retirement is when one of them is absolutely no longer able to play, apparently.

Why the f**k would he even entertain the f***ing idea then? I swear, you're more of a downer than me.

Think about it for a while, Geddy and Alex are both super sweet dudes, Neil's nice too but his shyness gets in the way. How f***ing douchey would it be for all three of them to dissapear off the face of the goddamn earth after this tour with not as much as a goodbye after explicitly stating that this is not "the end" of Rush as a band? No. They would NOT do something as low as that and I believe Alex on this, (Why wouldn't I, he's kind of A MEMBER OF THE BAND)

Seriously, shut the f**k up. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 4

Geddy (or Alex) already said in a recent interview that there is nothing more embarrassing than bands announcing farewell tours only to start touring again at some point because they need the money. So, Rush wasn't going to do that so they could spare themselves any embarrassment in case they ever changed their minds about touring again.

I'm a huge Stones fan and I've thought many times/tours since 2004 ( Charlie Watts announced he has cancer ) that they are finished touring. Here they are today currently on tour. They've never announced a farewell tour and never will. The Stones are in their 70's and Rush in their early 60's. I hope things work out for Rush and they keep it going.

R50

• Like 5

Yeah, that's simple fan greed.

They've toured Europe a lot over the years.

You saw them once.

Which is better than not at all.

Sometimes things pass before we get a chance to fully embrace all that we would, given a choice. Acceptance is easier than lament. I myself WISH I'd gotten to see the Doors or Zeppelin live. But I didn't. Things passed before I was able to do so. C'est la vie.

The band owes you nothing, and if you don't like the way they're saying 'good bye', well...there are worse things in the world. Like genocide in Africa.

Priorities, man. Make some.

So appreciate what you've gotten.

Eat your peas, there are starving children in China, son. Used to walk ten miles to school in six feet of snow in patent leather shoes. Thanks to Rush you got it good son so let it just be the provided and predecided opinion that Rush can do whatever dern well they please and you got no gad-dern right to complain or speculate about it, boyz 'n girlz. :codger:

• Like 1

To all who are holding out hope for more tour dates either in the US or abroad, now, or anytime in the future - IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Stop torturing yourselves and accept it. Howard knows it and tells it like it is. Geddy & Alex, for some reason, don't want to come right out and say it, but in their hearts, they know it's true. The Emperor, I mean... Neil, will NEVER make a formal announcement about it, but this is it for him, forever.

Only problem is that Al explicitly said that he's open to short tours and limited performing.

That's just interview talk.

They're not the kind of band that's going to officially announce retirement. No matter how many of you insist it should be otherwise.

Sometimes people just want to head into retirement without fanfare. What makes any of you think that the members of Rush, given their humility to date, aren't like this?

LOL, the only way some of you are going to accept their retirement is when one of them is absolutely no longer able to play, apparently.

Why the f**k would he even entertain the f***ing idea then? I swear, you're more of a downer than me.

Think about it for a while, Geddy and Alex are both super sweet dudes, Neil's nice too but his shyness gets in the way. How f***ing douchey would it be for all three of them to dissapear off the face of the goddamn earth after this tour with not as much as a goodbye after explicitly stating that this is not "the end" of Rush as a band? No. They would NOT do something as low as that and I believe Alex on this, (Why wouldn't I, he's kind of A MEMBER OF THE BAND)

Seriously, shut the f**k up.

Wow.....

So much for thinking we were friendly with each other in the chat.

Edited by fraroc

Bard loves bringing everybody down

You're too young to care. :)

I'm roughly the same age as him (21) and I agree with you. We're acting all entitled and as I have posted before, watch the first half of this:

People here are going on about the very specific word choices the band chooses in interviews about very open ended topics. Some are declaring statements of doom and hopelessness while others are a bit more optimistic. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to just accept that the future is open ended. Don't expect anything, be happy if they do. They owe all of us nothing at all. They've given us 40+ years of entertainment. Anything after 1997 is just a bonus considering the band could still be dead. I once made peace with the idea that I'd never see them since I lived too far away. I've now seen them 3 times and I'm very happy that I have. I'm not depressed at the idea that they may hang it up after this, but happy to at least see them off, something denied to many people this tour. If they record again, great. If they choose to settle down, also great. If they're happy and doing what they want to, that's the only thing we should want from them.

• Like 3

I'm roughly the same age as him (21) and I agree with you. We're acting all entitled and as I have posted before, watch the first half of this:

People here are going on about the very specific word choices the band chooses in interviews about very open ended topics. Some are declaring statements of doom and hopelessness while others are a bit more optimistic. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to just accept that the future is open ended. Don't expect anything, be happy if they do. They owe all of us nothing at all. They've given us 40+ years of entertainment. Anything after 1997 is just a bonus considering the band could still be dead. I once made peace with the idea that I'd never see them since I lived too far away. I've now seen them 3 times and I'm very happy that I have. I'm not depressed at the idea that they may hang it up after this, but happy to at least see them off, something denied to many people this tour. If they record again, great. If they choose to settle down, also great. If they're happy and doing what they want to, that's the only thing we should want from them.

I agree. They owe us nothing. But for some "older" fans, it is a little harder to accept. Rush has literally been a part of my everyday life since I was 14, and I'm 55 now. The thought of no new music or touring is a tough pill to swallow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNaEEj7gCqM

I agree. They owe us nothing. But for some "older" fans, it is a little harder to accept. Rush has literally been a part of my everyday life since I was 14, and I'm 55 now. The thought of no new music or touring is a tough pill to swallow.

I have a bit of hope for new music based on interviews, but it isn't an expectation.

Edited by Union 5-3992

I'm not even sad about the possibility (emphasis)of Rush breaking up after this tour anymore. But it's exactly that, a possibility that we won't see them anymore, Bard is just too thick skulled to admit that absolutely nothing is set in stone yet. Hell, Alex Lifeson himself said that he was open to performing again after this tour in a David Gilmour short tour style or a residency, why would Alex lie? If Alex thought Rush was done, that possibility wouldn't even be entertained.

I mean, Alex says Rush isn't done but Bard still denies it? That's a special kind of thick skulled right there.

Edited by fraroc

Why do you have to go and make sense and ruin everything?... :D
  • Like 1

I'm not even sad about the possibility (emphasis)of Rush retiring after this tour anymore.

Fixed and there is a BIG difference. In light of the recent sad passing of a legend this week and always member of a band who's music will never die, we should be happy we have them to see and talk about at all in 2015. I know I am... :codger: :sigh: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I'm not even sad about the possibility (emphasis)of Rush breaking up after this tour anymore. But it's exactly that, a possibility that we won't see them anymore, Bard is just too thick skulled to admit that absolutely nothing is set in stone yet. Hell, Alex Lifeson himself said that he was open to performing again after this tour in a David Gilmour short tour style or a residency, why would Alex lie? If Alex thought Rush was done, that possibility wouldn't even be entertained.

I mean, Alex says Rush isn't done but Bard still denies it? That's a special kind of thick skulled right there.

Though I disagree with some of Bard's more dire predictions, you're one of the people that has helped fuel the doom and gloom up until your revelation at the concert. Bard is being a bit more of a realist but at least he isn't moping around like some of the other dopes here.

• Like 3

Though I disagree with some of Bard's more dire predictions, you're one of the people that has helped fuel the doom and gloom up until your revelation at the concert. Bard is being a bit more of a realist but at least he isn't moping around like some of the other dopes here.

I honestly don't see how flat-out denying something that a band member says is considered "realism".

I honestly don't see how flat-out denying something that a band member says is considered "realism".

Nor do I get how people bend reality to say they are definitely touring after this. Or how you say it's an insult not to tell the fans it's a final tour. I have no clue what will happen and neither does anybody else. The only real hard claim he's making is that there will be no dates after and that this is the final tour ever. The dates being added at this point is a bit of a longshot but they may certainly play later, and they have indicated that they're open to residencies and mini-tours. And if you're quoting Lifeson on it, it's easy to doubt what he says because he's said a lot of things before that usually turn out not to be very true.

Edited by Union 5-3992

Well, fraroc, you do realize that Alex doesn't have the best track record when it comes to these things, right? Bard is being very blunt, but I think he may be right. But I hope he isn't.

• Like 1

You're just a kid. You know nothing yet about possibilities. But someday you will. :)

That is not precisely what Alex said. Some of you fanboys are taking certain statements as actual hardline projections, when all they are in truth is answers to interview questions 'nicely' redirecting an outright proclamation of retirement. You're young. Thick skulled is thinking they should carry on just for your own sake, not theirs.

Enough information has been given to clearly indicate pending retirement. It's up to the individual to hope for otherwise, of course.

But it's a fool's errand in this particular case. Time will show all, won't it. Nope, nothing is set in stone, the only thing in life that is, is we all get to die. Short of that, anything's possible.

But it's not likely.

I dunno how a 21 year old Rush fan would lament such a thing anyway. We all get to miss flashpoint events that happened before our time. You are no different. Get over it and yourself.

Edited by Bard

Other band members - and inner circle band people - have indicated the exact opposite. In no way has Alex outright claimed that Rush will go on. Nor will he.

He simply theorized a possibility, and only that.

Neil and Geddy and Ray know exactly what's coming, so does Alex, and so should you.

It's not the end of the world, man. That's why albums are great. They last forever.

• Like 1

I'd rather trust Alex over someone like f***ing Gene Simmons.

You're trusting in one sound byte from a band member?

Note that you're disregarding all the rest of the bytes from various sources clearly indicating pending retirement. Including as accredited sources as Alex.

No need to stretch that much, kid.

Just be happy you have the albums and that you got to see them live even once.

It's more than many get.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to just accept that the future is open ended. Don't expect anything, be happy if they do. They owe all of us nothing at all. They've given us 40+ years of entertainment. Anything after 1997 is just a bonus considering the band could still be dead. I once made peace with the idea that I'd never see them since I lived too far away.

:goodone: Just wait & see, as much as I'd like to see them live, I won't be disappointed if they never play concerts again after this tour because I'm not really expecting anything.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to just accept that the future is open ended. Don't expect anything, be happy if they do. They owe all of us nothing at all. They've given us 40+ years of entertainment. Anything after 1997 is just a bonus considering the band could still be dead. I once made peace with the idea that I'd never see them since I lived too far away.

:goodone: Just wait & see, as much as I'd like to see them live, I won't be disappointed if they never play concerts again after this tour because I'm not really expecting anything.

99% of the time we don't even think there's going to be another tour (let alone another album) when they finish one tour... I'd be willing to bet that the "this may be it" think was accidentally leaked by someone (or used as a "marketing tool") and they were planning on ending a tour, then putting something out at some point saying "we're old, we're done, buy this next box-set!"

So if Hugh Syme and rushisaband were TRF members, they'd probably get ridiculed and blasted endlessly. Although me being fulfilled and appreciative of the enormous effort of R40, I am much less optimistic, as I hold out the slightest of hope for a few residencies in NA and Euro in 2017, here are others takes ( these are their thoughts, in no way shape or form do I think they are predictions)-

Rushisaband, the excellent online blog that has been spot on about most Rush news and not only about that special song, but the specific metropolitan areas it would be played and other detailed specifics about this detailed news story more than a month in advance-

"There's still no word on whether the band will be extending the tour at some point, but the buzz in recent band interviews and within the Rush camp is promising; there's a lot of talk about how great the band feels and how much fun they are having. Keep your fingers crossed! "

And Hugh Syme, longtime artistic collaborator with Rush-

"My feeling is there's going to be some kind of demand from Europe, and they always get such a great response when they go to Rio. So if they get the right kind of offers they may just do it because, what the hell, they want to and they can. But that's just me thinking out loud. I think as a band, letting go of their entire career and closing the doors is an improbability. I just don't see them kind of going gently, just ignoring music. I think something's going to happen in a couple of years, even if they're deluding themselves into thinking this is a swan song. I think they will do another album -- I just happen to believe that. ..."

Edited by Gabrielgil513

So if Hugh Syme and rushisaband were TRF members, they'd probably get ridiculed and blasted endlessly. Although me being fulfilled and appreciative of the enormous effort of R40, I am much less optimistic, as I hold out the slightest of hope for a few residencies in NA and Euro in 2017, here are others takes ( these are their thoughts, in no way shape or form do I think they are predictions)-

Rushisaband, the excellent online blog that has been spot on about most Rush news and not only about that special song, but the specific metropolitan areas it would be played weeks in advance-

"There's still no word on whether the band will be extending the tour at some point, but the buzz in recent band interviews and within the Rush camp is promising; there's a lot of talk about how great the band feels and how much fun they are having. Keep your fingers crossed! "

And Hugh Syme, longtime artistic collaborator with Rush-

"My feeling is there's going to be some kind of demand from Europe, and they always get such a great response when they go to Rio. So if they get the right kind of offers they may just do it because, what the hell, they want to and they can. But that's just me thinking out loud. I think as a band, letting go of their entire career and closing the doors is an improbability. I just don't see them kind of going gently, just ignoring music. I think something's going to happen in a couple of years, even if they're deluding themselves into thinking this is a swan song. I think they will do another album -- I just happen to believe that. ..."

That makes me laugh. What do you want them to say? "We're having an awful time. It's a real drag touring when you're over sixty. We're worn out. Neil is in pain. Alex is in pain and keeps flubbing on his guitar on account of his fingers not being able to move well. This tour is taking a lot out of us and we are glad it's only 35 cities."?

What does this mean: "So if they get the right kind of offers they may just do it.."? What kind of offers? Money?

• Like 2