Will Rush Add More Shows

Shemp

I get the feeling they've known this is the end for several months but are not comfortable outright saying it. The seagull and the Exit Stage Left outro video seem prophetic. Ditto the tour book.

There are a vast array of indicators giving quite clear evidence that this is the last run. I have no idea why people want to stick their heads in the sand about it. I get that the passing of eras is difficult for some, but it's a natural part of life. Nothing lasts forever. :)

The thought of Rush retiring makes a lot of people uncomfortable because it makes them look at their own mortality.

That's too bad. Everyone has to die of something some day, and nothing, nothing, lasts forever. We are all on borrowed time.

Just because it's inevitable doesn't make it any more enjoyable to think about.

Too bad.

So I'm assuming by your comments you're looking forward to your death?

To all who are holding out hope for more tour dates either in the US or abroad, now, or anytime in the future - IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Stop torturing yourselves and accept it. Howard knows it and tells it like it is. Geddy & Alex, for some reason, don't want to come right out and say it, but in their hearts, they know it's true. The Emperor, I mean... Neil, will NEVER make a formal announcement about it, but this is it for him, forever.

Only problem is that Al explicitly said that he's open to short tours and limited performing.

That's just interview talk.

They're not the kind of band that's going to officially announce retirement. No matter how many of you insist it should be otherwise.

Sometimes people just want to head into retirement without fanfare. What makes any of you think that the members of Rush, given their humility to date, aren't like this?

LOL, the only way some of you are going to accept their retirement is when one of them is absolutely no longer able to play, apparently.

Why the f**k would he even entertain the f***ing idea then? I swear, you're more of a downer than me.

Think about it for a while, Geddy and Alex are both super sweet dudes, Neil's nice too but his shyness gets in the way. How f***ing douchey would it be for all three of them to dissapear off the face of the goddamn earth after this tour with not as much as a goodbye after explicitly stating that this is not "the end" of Rush as a band? No. They would NOT do something as low as that and I believe Alex on this, (Why wouldn't I, he's kind of A MEMBER OF THE BAND)

Edited by fraroc

I get the feeling they've known this is the end for several months but are not comfortable outright saying it. The seagull and the Exit Stage Left outro video seem prophetic. Ditto the tour book.

There are a vast array of indicators giving quite clear evidence that this is the last run. I have no idea why people want to stick their heads in the sand about it. I get that the passing of eras is difficult for some, but it's a natural part of life. Nothing lasts forever. :)

The thought of Rush retiring makes a lot of people uncomfortable because it makes them look at their own mortality.

That's too bad. Everyone has to die of something some day, and nothing, nothing, lasts forever. We are all on borrowed time.

Too bad.

I'm glad I'm going to die someday. If I were immortal, I'd most likely be bored to death (pun intended) at some point.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 1

To all who are holding out hope for more tour dates either in the US or abroad, now, or anytime in the future - IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Stop torturing yourselves and accept it. Howard knows it and tells it like it is. Geddy & Alex, for some reason, don't want to come right out and say it, but in their hearts, they know it's true. The Emperor, I mean... Neil, will NEVER make a formal announcement about it, but this is it for him, forever.

Only problem is that Al explicitly said that he's open to short tours and limited performing.

They're not the kind of band that's going to officially announce retirement. No matter how many of you insist it should be otherwise.

Sometimes people just want to head into retirement without fanfare. What makes any of you think that the members of Rush, given their humility to date, aren't like this?

LOL, the only way some of you are going to accept their retirement is when one of them is absolutely no longer able to play, apparently.

Why the f**k would he even entertain the f***ing idea then? I swear, you're more of a downer than me.

Think about it for a while, Geddy and Alex are both super sweet dudes, Neil's nice too but his shyness gets in the way. How f***ing douchey would it be for all three of them to dissapear off the face of the goddamn earth after this tour with not as much as a goodbye after explicitly stating that this is not "the end" of Rush as a band? No. They would NOT do something as low as that and I believe Alex on this, (Why wouldn't I, he's kind of A MEMBER OF THE BAND)

LOL, I dunno if I"m more a downer than you, skip.

Why do you believe quiet and humble retirement is a douchebag way to go? They're not going to disappear, they're going to stop playing live. Why do you feel like Rush 'owes' you an explicit good bye? Do you feel that's necessary for anyone who stops what they've been doing for years, or are you holding a higher standard to three men you've never met?

You sound pretty worked up over the idea. It's a rock band, dude. Focus all those energy reserves on something more important than the retirement of Rush. Like a better world, helping the less fortunate. Not crying and whining about a band who's lasted far longer than most. Appreciate what you have received. You look ungrateful and greedy if you expect more than what they've already shared with the world.

Too bad.

What am I going to do? Try and run from it? Be consumed by fear of it?

And what if I am looking forward to it? Not everyone is an atheist you know.

Edited by Lorraine

Too bad.

What am I going to do? Try and run from it? Be consumed by fear of it?

And what if I am looking forward to it? Not everyone is an atheist you know.

That's a discussion for somewhere else, but I was just curious.

Why do you believe quiet and humble retirement is a douchebag way to go? They're not going to disappear, they're going to stop playing live. Why do you feel like Rush 'owes' you an explicit good bye? Do you feel that's necessary for anyone who stops what they've been doing for years, or are you holding a higher standard to three men you've never met?

You sound pretty worked up over the idea. It's a rock band, dude. Focus all those energy reserves on something more important than the retirement of Rush. Like a better world, helping the less fortunate. Not crying and whining about a band who's lasted far longer than most. Appreciate what you have received. You look ungrateful and greedy if you expect more than what they've already shared with the world.

I'm not saying Rush owes us shit, but it would be a classier move if their next tour was an official farewell world tour so everybody from NYC to Rome to London and to Rio can all say goodbye to Rush as a touring band all together, YYZumbi, Segue Myles, and everyone else from Europe won't be left out and I can say I saw them more than once.

I'm not saying Rush owes us shit, but it would be a classier move if their next tour was an official farewell world tour so everybody from NYC to Rome to London and to Rio can all say goodbye to Rush as a touring band all together, YYZumbi, Segue Myles, and everyone else from Europe won't be left out and I can say I saw them more than once.

Yeah, that's simple fan greed.

They've toured Europe a lot over the years.

You saw them once.

Which is better than not at all.

Sometimes things pass before we get a chance to fully embrace all that we would, given a choice. Acceptance is easier than lament. I myself WISH I'd gotten to see the Doors or Zeppelin live. But I didn't. Things passed before I was able to do so. C'est la vie.

The band owes you nothing, and if you don't like the way they're saying 'good bye', well...there are worse things in the world. Like genocide in Africa.

Priorities, man. Make some.

So appreciate what you've gotten.

• Like 2

I went out of my way to see them four times this tour. They were beyond awesome. I am thankful and fulfilled, although I will miss their records and shows immensely. I am sad yet accepting of the fact that they may never again play a show east of KC.

Two mini critiques. First, They have spoken at length about future possibilities. Euro is important to Ged n Al, three examples of residencies, citing Gilmours use of 18 show mini tours and on and on. If this is the end, none of this should have been spoken about. Something this important to them and us, there are no excuses for giving fans false hope. Simple answer, "we are dealing with various ailments, and we really don't know what the future holds." Next question. Simple answer. The point of an interview is to communicate with your fans, especially from a band famous for integrity in music and life.

Second critique, if it really is the end, they did not give enough advance notice. They cite us as the reason they are in the Hall, so let's not just throw this reason in the trash. Plenty of folks got screwed as vacations and budgets were already spent and set. Three guys does not a rock band make and Three months notice does not cut it for a once in a lifetime, End of career event. (Edit...technically it was ZERO months notice, as the famous last tour of this magnitude comments were released at the same time tickets went on sale...)

It's obvious by the comments above they told their crew to plan accordingly regarding their future plans. A full crew for a full tour, it's obvious that the band does not want the crew holding out hope for future employment with Rush. But based on the reasons I have cited, and the stunningly overwhelming response Rush has received this tour, the roadmap of their future that they have provided to us, there is a slight door left ajar.

Sometimes I don't know or we don't know fits perfectly.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

There is no mandated requirement or directive that dictates in what manner a band should say good bye, or how they should conduct their interview responses with exact specifics.

Geez, some of you are entitled.

• Like 1

Two mini critiques. First, They have spoken at length about future possibilities. Euro is important to Ged n Al, three examples of residencies, citing Gilmours use of 18 show mini tours and on and on. If this is the end, none of this should have been spoken about. Something this important to them and us, there are no excuses for giving fans false hope. Simple answer, "we are dealing with various ailments, and we really don't know what the future holds." Next question. Simple answer. The point of an interview is to communicate with your fans, especially from a band famous for integrity in music and life.

The problem with the interviews you cited is that none of them were with Neil. Ged and Al can hope for and speculate about all kinds of things that could happen, but if Neil doesn't feel like doing them, none of them will happen.

It sounds like he's made up his mind, and the best we can hope for is that he has a change of heart at some point and decides he misses creating music and performing live. The ball that is the future of Rush is 100% in his court. :(

There is no mandated requirement or directive that dictates in what manner a band should say good bye, or how they should conduct their interview responses with exact specifics.

Geez, some of you are entitled.

OK, now you really ARE sounding like you're Neil. ;)

• Like 1

But I'm not. :)

Still, the point holds.

There's no money in albums anymore. It's extremely unlikely that they'd drop an LP and skip the touring behind it.

It's far more likely that Geddy will possibly work on another solo album.

The problem with the interviews you cited is that none of them were with Neil. Ged and Al can hope for and speculate about all kinds of things that could happen, but if Neil doesn't feel like doing them, none of them will happen.

It sounds like he's made up his mind, and the best we can hope for is that he has a change of heart at some point and decides he misses creating music and performing live. The ball that is the future of Rush is 100% in his court. :(

Neil has said -

He does not want to be the sole reason Rush is no longer a band

Another Neil factor, his daughter, so the story goes, loves what her dad does for a living. In two years she is eight? I see plenty of eight year olds at shows this tour. Just wait til she is eight and finds out what magnitude really meant! Unless the injury is severe, and he has said his injury was not an issue this tour. There is reason to say "I Don't Know"

I am fulfilled, happy, appreciative, accepting and sad. They can retire, I will miss them, but life goes on. The reality here, is they have spoken at length on this topic.

• Like 1

I don't think they will tour, but will probably still play selective one off dates or special shows or extended dates at one venue. No need to put up with the rigors of a major tour at this stage in their lives / career.

I think the problem is that even if he wants to still play at some point in the future, will he be able to physically? Drumming is the most physically demanding of the instruments apparently, so every show is a physical undertaking for him. Aging sucks. I am 44 now, and wish I could run as fast as I could when I was 20, but I just can't.

See, this is why I think Neil - IF he really has decided that he's completely done after this tour - will need to say so in some official way at some point in time. Otherwise, people (including Alex and Geddy, apparently) will continue to assume the door is still slightly open and endlessly speculate like we're seeing.

See, this is why I think Neil - IF he really has decided that he's completely done after this tour - will need to say so in some official way at some point in time. Otherwise, people (including Alex and Geddy, apparently) will continue to assume the door is still slightly open and endlessly speculate like we're seeing.

Alex and Geddy know the truth already. They have just decided to not make any definitive announcement just in case something happens in the future that might change their collective minds.

Geddy (or Alex) already said in a recent interview that there is nothing more embarrassing than bands announcing farewell tours only to start touring again at some point because they need the money. So, Rush wasn't going to do that so they could spare themselves any embarrassment in case they ever changed their minds about touring again.
  • Like 5

A residency in Vegas would be ideal for them. A month of shows, and back home. I could see that happening.

I really can't, Neil's written about his disdain for the Vegas strip...isn't gonna happen. Now a month near Moab he might be up for...he loves the hiking and scenery in that part of Utah, problem is its 4 or 5 hours from Salt Lake City, closest venue they could play.

Edited by Stan Getz

By all indications this does seem to be it. A couple posters here are obviously involved with the band and haven't been inaccurate yet.

Is it possible at some point they'll play again? Yes. But it seems exceedingly unlikely. It sounds like Neil is ready to move on. He isn't the type to do anything half-assed, so doing just a couple shows doesn't seem viable unless there is a ton of cash thrown at them. Plus, the only "one off" they've done is the SARS Fest thing - but they were a lot younger then. Honestly, I'd say it's probably 10% we'll see them again.

Dr. Seuss had it right: be thankful it happened.