Possible set additions (Spoilers)

I have a question. Besides Losing It and The Big Money, are there any other songs rumored for addition into the R40 set?

I have so far heard rumors of:

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa

Kid Gloves

Red Sector A

Limelight....

How true are any of these? Also, are there others? I personally heard Losing It at a soundcheck on this tour (Houston) and was kinda bummed they didn't do it at the show. Still a fantastic show. Made even better with Meet & Greet passes and 8th row center seats!

thank you,

Judah

• Like 1

I have a question. Besides Losing It and The Big Money, are there any other songs rumored for addition into the R40 set?

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa

Kid Gloves

Red Sector A

Limelight....

A rumor is only as good as its source.

There has been consistent talk of "Losing It" being heard in soundcheck. Maybe it means they are going to play it, maybe it serves some other purpose for them in soundcheck. It seems to me there would be a certain bittersweet irony in them playing that song at this point in their career, considering all the talk of Alex's arthritis and Neil's tendonitis and how they've seen better days etc. They may be playing it in soundcheck personal reasons that we are not privy too. Maybe it's just their odd sense of humor at work.

I love the title track from AFTK but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that they may play it this tour.

I suspect there will be some surprises during the recorded shows and at the last show.

The only one I heard anything about on that list before the tour started was Kid Gloves. It's possible they rehearsed the song but had to cut it from the final set. Limelight they could bring back at any point since it's a song that they probably wouldn't have to rehearse in order to play it.

Where did you hear the rumors about those songs?

Edited by J2112YYZ

It sounded amazing.

PLAY IT!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Big ups on La Villa (can't see how they can walk away without giving that one a spin a few final times) & what is gonna be a really heavy Losing It (last show on tour - bring a hankie).

Kid Gloves is good stuff but Countdown or Red Lenses haven't been played in forever. Also wouldn't mind The Weapon coming back...do Fear Trilogy on lark maybe next year on 2nd US leg (plz?)

As for Limelight or Red Sector A - don't hate em but have been over-Limelighted out and there are better songs off G/P (Between The Wheels was a masterful call...works with their new style so well).

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa

Kid Gloves

Red Sector A

Limelight....

How true are any of these? Also, are there others? I personally heard Losing It at a soundcheck on this tour (Houston) and was kinda bummed they didn't do it at the show. Still a fantastic show. Made even better with Meet & Greet passes and 8th row center seats!

thank you,

Judah

I heard a few tours ago that they tried AFTK and it was too hard for Geddy to sing, so I don't imagine it will see the light of day this tour.

I could see "Limelight" replacing TCE at some point and "Big Money" replacing either DEW or BTW. But that's it.

Agree that "Losing It" is most likely only for the DVD, maybe even just a sound check version like "Limelight" was last time.

• Like 1

One of the reasons, maybe the main reason why Rush would perform Losing It is that it was the winner - the number one choice on the most recent Rushpetition.com poll where the only songs that could be nominated this time were songs that had never before been played live. Rush has visited that site in the past to view earlier poll lists to choose some songs that they ended up playing on those earlier tours. It has nothing to do with "self-pity".

Rush never came across as a self pity band I don't see them playing Losing It

Everybody over thinks when it comes to this band I do not get it

One of the reasons, maybe the main reason why Rush would perform Losing It is that it was the winner - the number one choice on the most recent Rushpetition.com poll where the only songs that could be nominated this time were songs that had never before been played live. Rush has visited that site in the past to view earlier poll lists to choose some songs that they ended up playing on those earlier tours. It has nothing to do with "self-pity".

I agree it has nothing to do with self-pity. Or, overthinking. Geddy is actively saying (not speculation) during this current tour (not past, or rumor) that they are playing Jacob's Ladder because we, the fans, wanted it. Where do you think he gets that information? From people driving up to his house and saying, "Hey, Geds, could you guys play Jacob's Ladder? That would be cool." No. He (or most likely Pegi or Ray or somebody in the management or family) has seen the results of Rushpetition or heard the requests on message boards and stuff, where Losing It has also been requested a lot.

In addition to that, they are (not speculation) actually playing Losing It on this current (not past, not rumor) tour during sound check. They could play a hundred other of their own tunes or a cover or anything if they were just doing it for fun, without playing something that requires them to play along with something pre-recorded, like the violin part.

And, in addition to that, Jacob Szekely, one of the actual string players from the last tour, discussed in an interview, that he had spoken with the band about that very song.

So, that's a bit like saying 2+2 = 4 is overthinking math, if they play it. They may or may not play it because the lyrics have particular meaning for them now at this particular part of their professional lives, but to pretend that they haven't thought about those lyrics resonating with them now is silly. When Neil wrote the lyrics

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

he had already considered that philosophical question.

Rush never came across as a self pity band I don't see them playing Losing It

Everybody over thinks when it comes to this band I do not get it

Just wanted to say that upon further review I believe you are correct - they won't play Losing It during an actual show.

Not only are they not much for pity-pots, they've never really been the most sentimental of bands. I mean, how long did it take before Neil actually wrote something that could be considered a "love song" (Time Stand Still?).

I also think they've let the cat out of the bag that the main reason to retire from the rigors of touring is their physical limitations - all of them are as engaged and driven by playing music together as ever, but age is catching up with at least Neil & Alex (the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, indeed).

So knowing that we know why they are about to hang up the saddle (and how much we know every song inside and out practically), they wouldn't want to put people in an emotional situation in public. Hell, I got choked up over Geddy singing emphatically the chorus of RTB (weird to me too) and actually shed tears of joy and wonder at the end of Jacob's Ladder (and again a little watching Neil solo for possibly the last time) - no way would I be able to get through Losing It without literally doing that to some extent. Guys in band know this is a landmark tour in the winter of their career and will keep us from getting too distraught.

It makes much more sense that they are honing it to perfection to put as a bonus soundcheck track on the inevitable R40 Live DVD.

• Like 1

I WANT COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know it brother!

My first show was Signals Tour - I don't even have pubes yet and my older sister was trying to get me into music that wasn't all Top 40 or new wave. She played Hemispheres, 2112 and Moving Pictures all the time but I still didn't really get into the band, just liked what was on pop radio at the time.

She got us tix to see them on the next tour at the San Antonio Convention Arena. I was pretty ADD-ed out kid back then and don't remember much of the show except Countdown (that and people smoking pot....including sis going up to top of upper level with her friend).

I was born on the Space Coast and my Dad worked for Air Force around there (though not directly for NASA) He got press pass for one of the later Apollo launches when I was just out of diapers (Mom thought I would freak out and cry but I was jumping up in the air and yelling). Obviously I was really into the Space Shuttle when it got manned spaceflight started back up so this tune was like talking to me during the show. Anyway, all I really remember is the sound FX and how they made the launch so loud it felt like the building was shaking along with the huge video of the launch. Totally blew me away and definitely made an impression. I still think it's a really under-rated song off Signals.

Doubt they'll pull it out but we can still dream.

Edited by UnsilentBob

I WANT COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know it brother!

My first show was Signals Tour - I don't even have pubes yet and my older sister was trying to get me into music that wasn't all Top 40 or new wave. She played Hemispheres, 2112 and Moving Pictures all the time but I still didn't really get into the band, just liked what was on pop radio at the time.

She got us tix to see them on the next tour at the San Antonio Convention Arena. I was pretty ADD-ed out kid back then and don't remember much of the show except Countdown (that and people smoking pot....including sis going up to top of upper level with her friend).

I was born on the Space Coast and my Dad worked for Air Force around there (though not directly for NASA) He got press pass for one of the later Apollo launches when I was just out of diapers (Mom thought I would freak out and cry but I was jumping up in the air and yelling). Obviously I was really into the Space Shuttle when it got manned spaceflight started back up so this tune was like talking to me during the show. Anyway, all I really remember is the sound FX and how they made the launch so loud it felt like the building was shaking along with the huge video of the launch. Totally blew me away and definitely made an impression. I still think it's a really under-rated song off Signals.

Doubt they'll pull it out but we can still dream.

I wish so hoping for it in Houston - since it has so much history with NASA, but as we know, they didn't do it. Hopefully they will do it in Kansas City, although why on earth would they do it there if not Houston so the chances are slim. Countdown in there top 5 best tracks ever if not their best IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To do the OP Kid Gloves, Red Lenses and even Bangkok, Malignant Narcissism was rumoured by a guy who said he knew someone that knew where they were rehearsing. Who knows if it is true and then during the tour a guy said he saw a set or whatever at the main audio/video control booth which had kid gloves, la villa, big money listed. This added more speculation to that rumour but I couldn't tell you how true any of this stuff is. When it comes to rumours once one starts others just pick up on it and it continues.

Big Money has some credibility because it was listed in the tour book along with something called Ask Al which I would really love to know what that was. But bottom line I think the only new thing that will be added at select shows is Losing It.

They really need to play a great song from "Hold Your Fire" on this tour!

1) "Turn the Page"

2) "Lock & Key"

3) "Mission"

4) "Time Stand Still"

5) "Prime Mover"

6) "Force Ten"

(That's my order of preference) :)

Don't forget "open secrets"

- was revisiting hold your fire couple days ago, and forgot about this one - has all the hallmarks of a classic late 80's rush song - wished they would have done it live for asoh!