Impartial Fan Reviews

Rush85dude

Maybe the third leg should be "Rush, the Jam Band Tour"

I think Ged hasn't gone for a lot of those high notes since 1981 ;)

Edited by Gabrielgil513

The other thing to consider is that we are much more aware of all the mistakes now at each show because of the Periscope thing.

I think there is more access to each show, both as it happens and very shortly afterwards, than ever before. Plus, we are all aware that they are aging and that Alex and Neil have physical issues, so that colours what we perceive. My best guess is that they may be making slightly more mistakes than before, but nothing more than the natural arc. In other words, this tour has slightly more mistakes than the CA tour, which had slightly more mistakes than the TM tour, which had slightly more mistakes than the S&A tour, etc.

• Like 1

Honestly, and I've said this before, they could have skipped ALL of Clockwork Angels, except Headlong Flight, which they should have opened with, IMO. I love The Anarchist and The Wreckers, but would have gladly exchanged for Ghost Rider and something from Test For Echo, like Virtuality, or Totem.

A lot of the songs were out of place, particularly Lakeside Park. They shouldn't have opened the second set with Tom Sawyer, but The Spirit Of Radio.

I would have loved to have heard Red Tide, from Presto, and, like Narpski said, Natural Science.

Over the course of several weeks and the various periscope sessions, I've seen the entire set. The only thing I have a problem with is the way they're playing Xanadu. I'm certainly glad they are playing it, but the intro has lost all of the feel on this tour. It looks like Alex is using a volume pedal and some delay to play that intro, but I can still hear him picking each note. I know it's a small thing, but it annoys me a little bit as hearing those notes fade in is what the intro is all about. Dropping the ending off is also annoying. If you're going to play an 11 minute song, what benefit is there to cheapening the whole thing by dropping the last 20 seconds or so.

Other than that, I think they've sounded great.

I do think that they should have had each album represented in the set.

Over the course of several weeks and the various periscope sessions, I've seen the entire set. The only thing I have a problem with is the way they're playing Xanadu. I'm certainly glad they are playing it, but the intro has lost all of the feel on this tour. It looks like Alex is using a volume pedal and some delay to play that intro, but I can still hear him picking each note. I know it's a small thing, but it annoys me a little bit as hearing those notes fade in is what the intro is all about. Dropping the ending off is also annoying. If you're going to play an 11 minute song, what benefit is there to cheapening the whole thing by dropping the last 20 seconds or so.

I do think that they should have had each album represented in the set.

This doesn't cover every album, but would have cured some of the lulls in the show:

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels

Far Cry

Leave that Thing Alone

Dreamline

Roll the Bones

Force Ten (alternate with Time Stand Still)

Big Money

Distant Early Warning

Subdivisions (alternate with New World Man)

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Drum Solo

The Trees

Closer to the Heart

2112 Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Presentation

Soliloquy

Finale

Bastille Day

Anthem

Working Man

That way the casual fan is invested by the 4th song of the opener and throughout the second set. That would have been magnificent. I love Xanadu but not on this tour.

When it comes to the mistakes, I think that in a sense, Rush have fallen victim a bit to the ridiculously high standards they've set over 40 years of performance. As fans, that's the standards we've either consciously or subconsciously trained our ears to expect. Hell, even all the live albums don't have any mistakes on them...either by fixing things in the studio or cherry picking mistake-free songs from different shows.

Also, to a large extent, Geddy set the standards of a vocal tone that age was destined to betray. Also see: Plant, Robert and Halford, Rob.

The Periscope perspective is a valid one as well...if one listens to enough bootlegs of part tours then you'll notice that mistakes aren't new, but when you have the ability to actually listen to performances night after night, then everything changes.

Out of nothing but pure curiosity, I checked out a nicely shot vid of the Stones opening night a couple weeks ago. They opened with Jumping Jack Flash, Keith Richards walks out and starts playing the riff and I think he makes three or four mistakes in the first 30 seconds, but...no one really cares, heh.

There's a lot going on emotionally with this tour, the band is fighting age, we're all coming to grips with the fact that all of us are fighting age, and we're all in new territory...what longtime Rush fan has every really had to come to grips with it all actually ending? So, what's left is...this is where the band is, warts and all, and it all makes us cringe at times.

• Like 5

I was 29th row on the floor in Tampa and mostly surrounded by diehards. They went nuts for JL. However, to the left of me were 4 guys who looked like they just came from a shift on their A/C truck. They really only got animated for the radio hits at the beginning of set 2.

Also, when set 2 began, I couldn't hear any bass until Cygnus. The guitar and drum mix drowned Geddy out.

That having been said, the energy as set 2 progressed just built and built. Great stuff.

As for the setlist changes wishlist, keep in mind that these songs are positioned where they are to give Geddy's voice a break. You can't just replace instrumentals/easy to sing songs with anything in their catalogue at any spot.

• Like 1

Geddy can't hit those high notes anymore

alternate with Time Stand Still

BEEDA BEEDA BOOP. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

• Like 1

Out of nothing but pure curiosity, I checked out a nicely shot vid of the Stones opening night a couple weeks ago. They opened with Jumping Jack Flash, Keith Richards walks out and starts playing the riff and I think he makes three or four mistakes in the first 30 seconds, but...no one really cares, heh.

Because nobody expects anything from a crackhead or whatever that is now :)

And 99% of the people going to those shows are of the same "make and model"....

• Like 1

And 99% of the people going to those shows are of the same "make and model"....

It wasn't a judgment on what shows people go to, was making a parallel as to expectations.

Nobody cares if he makes mistakes because there's no preconceived standard of performance excellence.

I do think that they should have had each album represented in the set

Can't figure out the ending either.

Edited by londonguy

Some Rush fans are a trip, find crap to complain If you must, but the Tampa show was the best I have seen in 30 years of attending Rush shows. Memorial weekend show on the 24th of May...kind of appropriate they played LP! The crowds at the Tampa shows are always rowdy, this one rocked from from song one, highlight of he first set surprisingly was DEW, that song ROCKED, Animate a close second. The band played very well, and enthusiastic, including Mr.Peart who was witnessed smiling on several occasions.

second set was a dream for this fan, and we got the extra song NS which was cool, Alex actually messed up the solo on TS, I guess we should have all gone home since they weren't perfect LOL. Xanadu was the highlight of the second set, the double necks were a nice surprise although I don't think Ged played both necks, Alex however sure did. Its worth noting that Alex used about 10 different very bad arse les pauls during the show, plus the obligatory Strat, and Tele. VERY COOL! Neils solo defied logic, even Ged led the crowd in an enthusiastic cheer after that one. Geds voice was quite good all night, including the 70s cuts, I cant say I have ever left a Rush show judging it by how well Ged sang, no he didn't sound like he did when he was thirty because.. well... hes not.

The encore was incredible, if they had given me a pen and said pick four, I would have quickly wrote down LP, ANTH, WYD and maybe In The Mood instead of WM but Alex shredded that solo. Never thought TTM show would be topped, I was wrong.

I prefer the outdoor AMP for shows, but THIS light show belonged indoors, and it seemed much louder which I liked, problem is if your not on floor seats (17th row center for me) the sound can suck which I heard from a couple people post show.

How these three can still perform like that for 2 1/2 hrs with THAT set list boggles, it was pretty darn cool to see full blown proper old school arena rock show, you could see the band and crowd feed off each other, it was special night.

^ THIS

Maybe the third leg should be "Rush, the Jam Band Tour"

I think Ged hasn't gone for a lot of those high notes since 1981 ;)

I remember when I was little hearing the "older kids" who had seen them on the Signals tour in 82 or 83 bemoaning how Geddy couldn't do Temples like "in the old days".

That's not to say that his voice hasn't deteriorated over the past 4 decades of course (it has, especially over the last ten years), but I thoroughly enjoyed the ATL show, especially the second set, and will be seeing them again on this tour at least once more.

It was an open air venue and it was raining hard until just about a half hour before show time. I'm sure that was a buzzkill for folks on the lawn, experiencing Woodstock 2015 to some degree, lol.

I agree that the crowd was kinda dead during the first set. But it seemed to me that people were a lot more excited and up on their feet during the second set. In particular it was interesting to see how a lot of the younger kids who were clearly brought along unwillingly by their parents and sleeping through the first set were electrified by the older material. And people were very amped on the way out.

I had a blast.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Hey TRF, occassional lurker, first time caller. I hit that Alpharetta show and have some takes that I hope are balanced (with my tastes and POV).

Show started late (8:30 I think) because of the rain. It had actually stopped the hard stuff (pounding thunderstorms with heavy rain) in that area an hour or two before show time (I work in office park behind amphitheater). Got a nice vibe from that sunset mid first set and how we didn't get a drop on us during the show.....Rush works in mysterious ways, no doubt.

As far as the show presentation - first off, sound was dialed in on the lawn. Geddy was way out front on the bass and they filled the place with a clear distinct mix that may have had best sound I've ever heard at a show of theirs (note - I was little off-set towards Alex in middle - 3/4 way up lawn). Really liked the big screen in the middle and how they mixed in graphics like Geddy "burning" during OLV (looked almost satanic, cool effect).

I'll let everyone know now - I REALLY liked CA (Album Of Year!) and still play something off it at least once-twice a week going to or from work. My favorites happen to be Headlong Flight, Anarchist and the title cut so I had zero complaints. I agree with the O(riginal) P(oster) that their energy coming out of the gate was intense and they do love playing these new songs. I felt that same passion seeing them with the string section in Nashville on the CA Tour and thought it was an

amazing set of music to open a 2nd set with (little too much 80s in first set - no spoilers going into it for me that night - but at least they played the songs with gusto).

I've heard Far Cry on a few tours in a row now and I would've preferred Armor & Sword or Way The Wind Blows from S&A instead. I do think that Main Monkey Business is the best of the instrumentals on that record so that was great to hear again - got a very psychedelic screens & vibe on this one, don't remember the silly monkeys back on S&A Tour which I thought ruined the whole feel of the song. Not as big a fan of OLV (cool special FX besides) as other songs like Earthshine or Secret Touch off VT but I thought they rocked it out. Band was definitely riding a good consistent energy by this point and seemed really confident. Don't recall Geddy having vocal issues on this one like some have said but I was so far pretty impressed with the show.

Animate was alright - was never a huge Counterparts fan but they got a nice groove going on this one that got people moving around a bit (yeah, they'd been sorta sleeping up until that point). I will always maintain that the rapping in RTB was a crisis of conscience for me in the early 90s. They'd pushed the synth stuff as far as it could go but to this? However, what really astonished me is how Geddy turned this tune (of all tunes - no Bravado this tour) into the anthemic ballad part of the set. The way he sang so hard into chorus after chorus:

"Why are we here?

Because we're here

Roll the bones

Why does it happen?

Because it happens

Roll the bones"

To hear him emphasizing that seemed to say while they did commit to dedication to perfecting their craft, put in the countless hours both in rehearsal and on road...all of it started by taking a chance on fate and pushing it as far as three regular guys from Toronto could go. It also may have never even happened - as if an alternate reality exists where they didn't get anywhere and never became anything (yeah, forget that right?).

Maybe you had to see him digging into the lines with passion but I got the weirdest lump in my throat during this tune (well, buzz had definitely kicked in too) - you know, the same one with that....actually you had to like the Trailer Park Boys and the cameos galore getting into the rap thing. I still cringe when I hear it but at least the rest of the song blew that away. And yes, crowd was mos def into the show by now and really letting the band know.

I seem to remember a minor flub in DEW but they still kicked it down and having the old video with Alex's son on the cruise missile had to make you smile. Remember seeing that video at least 3-4 times a day back when MTV actually played music videos. Signals had a video too but I don't remember it as much as DEW (and Big Money vid was popular for a while too). Seeing scenes from a proto-Freaks & Geeks and then the kid seeing Rush on TV. Brilliant marketing! Everyone seemed to get into the ending with the subdivision diagrams and Tempest video game action - so very 80s. I guess Subdivisions makes a

good enough set closer but I kinda wished they did Countdown before it because that's an unsung tune off Signals that would be a definite bustout. I noticed no PW or HYF tunes too but I think Big Money is kinda played out and they just did Marathon a tour or so ago. Mission would've been welcome to these ears again as that's one of their best songs period off an otherwise so-so album (too many synths synths synths!).

I honestly think they've over done the pre-set silly video intros. I realize the guys are pretty much just nerds with their own really odd senses of humor (as we all are I suppose in our own weird way) but some of the jokes get too inside I guess. Seemed like they played every one of those vids during the 2nd half of the set break. Myself I preferred the simply R40 clocks with that great prog rock tribute they played (gotta love Watcher In The Skies - seemed like they hit most of the

big prog bands of the era too).

You could see Tom Sawyer coming from a mile away and I suppose they are destined to play it at every show from here till the train stops (they actually spooked me a bit in Nashville when they didn't play it until the encore). The song is just simply them, it crystalizes into pop-song format what they do and is arguably their peak as a band (hey, lots of mountains in this range folks). Not unlike how Stairway defines Led Zep, this is the quinessential Rush song. Actually laughed at the

monkeys playing on the vid screen since the band (or at least Neil) acknowledges it's the hardest song they play (morphing into themselves then switching roles what cool too). Anyway, to agree with the OP again I think they came out swinging for the fences with this set opener as well - defiant, almost savage energy coming off that stage.

Red Barchetta was the first Rush song I ever really connected with and had to hear again and again (even more than Sawyer). The Exit Stage Left version was played a good bit on MTV back in day too and I remember stopping to watch it every time til sister got me a tape for my birthday (I think). Never liked the downshift in the middle of the jam but that's OK.....Geddy and that outro solo with the extended jamming, so brilliant. Sure it would've been cool to catch Natural Science again (got it on S&A though) but since this is quite possibly the last time I may see the guys, Barcheta was so apropos and made the whole history for me come full circle.

Spirit Of Radio is another one of those hits I guess they're gonna play most every show (not unlike Sawyer or Subdivisions) though I thought they kept the energy going pretty good for the most part and this position in the middle of the set caught my attention whereas usually it's a set opener or closer that goes right on by. Big song for the guys back in the day and they relished it.

I'd made the mistake of checking out a story at the beginning of the tour and got spoilered on Jacob's Ladder (I immediately killed that page wanting to keep any other surprises) but that didn't minimize my appreciation of it by any stretch. Got off to a funny start with how Geddy intro'd it by saying "this next song is one you guys have been asking to hear for years now...and I simply do not know why." May not have been one of his favorites but they built this one so beautifully, totally made me realize how perfectly structured this tune is. As they worked through the progression in the second half of the song, the screens started showing buildings, skyscrapers and the like then projecting out with the "heavenly" light display. "Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams..." was given a whole new meaning in terms of man looking up to see his opportunity and fortune in tall structures of a city (uh, Camera Eye lyrics anyone? Also linked the architecture concept with "I walk through their beautiful buildings, And I wish I had their dreams" lyrics in Mission). I try not to let stuff get to me too much in public but no lie....tears streamed down my face when that realization hit me, distinctly remember that moment. I can go home now - I got what I came for, this is IT with what I admire and love the most about Rush.

To be honest, tears came from the steady (but pacing) buzz from literally NO beer lines at the top of the hill. Wasn't sloshed out drunk but definitely in mood for some passionate music. We celebrated Jacob with another tall boy and as you can imagine, the show gets a bit more hazy from here on out ;-).

Hemispheres was a nice treat - hadn't heard that since mid-90s (Counterparts Tour) and the fact that they played the whole thing out. My over-riding emotion through the rest of the show was how they put in the practice on almost every change (though it seemed liked the jumped the gun on some things - trying to get to a resting point I'm sure after the immense effort they were expending at this point) and just deepened my admiration for what they're doing on this final(?) tour.

Blasphemy I know but I was never all that blown away by Cygnus X-1 though bringing it back and, as I said, playing every change was inspiring enough. They did rock the hell out of this stuff and then Neil's solo was its usual amazing self. He just never stops creating the new while reminding us of the classics (floating snare). Bug or something may have got in my eye as I wondered if this is the last time I'll see The Professor work his magic. He's simply the best, folks. Lots of other great drummers no doubt, but there will always be only one Neil. Still the heavyweight champion of the world even at the end of his career in these eyes (I'm fine with his decision to retire while on top too).

Alex slammed into the end of Cygnus and that was what really kicked in the end of the show - very nice peak there! Xanadu is another old favorite of mine and seeing the double-neck guitars - they really were going back in time - and the extended intro gave me some goosebumps. I got into this one just fine as I should but may have preferred La Villa instead in retrospect. Still that final Alex solo made those hairs on back of neck stand up when it really hit me - so much soul pouring out of that Les Paul. Classic song I'm proud to say I got to see one last time.

They did 2112 on CA Tour and I've heard it enough times over the years that it didn't have quite as much power this go-around. Perhaps a bit of fatigue was setting in as well (seem to remember Neil stumbling at one point but Geddy going over to give him some head banging nods to keep him going) but Alex tore out all the stops at the end and while I can tell he wasn't his usual jovial/joking self due to his own punishment put on a body over the years (a lot of the time he was looking more serious like Neil does), the guy left it on the field when it came to playing the guitar that night. Speaking of individual awards.....is Geddy ever going to stop? Sure his voice isn't what it was all those years ago (and I was never a fan of the banshee anyway), his playing seems to be getting even better (when he was already the best) and his enthusiasm and confidence was something to behold. If he wants to continue on with his own endeavors (perhaps a tour with Danny Carey of Tool and maybe like Buckethead or someone gonzo like that) I am there to support him 100%. He certainly didn't look ready to stop in Alpharetta.

The encore was fun, maybe going a bit too far back for my taste (silly Eugene Levy vid did not help - again, not my thing though the whole "high school gym" look was cool) . Lakeside Park didn't really light a spark with me (or anyone around me) but I gotta admit, they nailed those old tunes with a last release of energy. Alex all over that Anthem and if the feeling that barrell-roll through Working Man hit you is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I hung out on the lawn and took in the folks who all seemed fairly blown away - noticed a LOT of kids that look like they see Phish, Widespread Panic, moe., etc. "jambands" walking around with twinkly eyes and cratered craniums (must've been quite the show, maaaaan). For all my complaining about the vids, I should say I did very much like the Exit Stage Left outro video and it seemed to give a sense of closure sitting there on the lawn; really felt like you saw them, through all those years in terms of the experience of the entire show.

Well, that's my take - I like a LOT of music and I have a lot of "favorite bands" (probably rotate like the seasons) but the one that will stand out as the most consistent, most compelling and gave me the most bang for my music & concert buying buck is most definitely Rush.

Thanks guys for an awesome night! (and for reading if you got this far.....great forum!)

• Like 5

Shoulda reviewed before I posted.......uh, took a quick visit to the (also freely available with no lines) portajohns during Closer To Heart. Got back in time for end jam and then into Xanadu.

Not a drop tonite, I swear.

• Like 1

Shoulda reviewed before I posted.......uh, took a quick visit to the (also freely available with no lines) portajohns during Closer To Heart. Got back in time for end jam and then into Xanadu.

Not a drop tonite, I swear.

Very nice review, Bob. It was a good read, I'm glad you enjoyed the show and welcome to the forum, that was a hell of a first post

Edited by Union 5-3992

"Got off to a funny start with how Geddy intro'd it by saying "this next song is one you guys have been asking to hear for years now...and I simply do not know why."

He said that because Jacob's Ladder is about storm clouds passing over, and it had rained all day, delaying the show.

Edited by rftag

"Got off to a funny start with how Geddy intro'd it by saying "this next song is one you guys have been asking to hear for years now...and I simply do not know why."

He said that because Jacob's Ladder is about storm clouds passing over, and it had rained all day, delaying the show.

Derp! I thought he was making a comment like "Why you guys like Jacob's when Natural Science is better jam?" but that makes more with the weather that night - at 5:45PM I was looking out a 5th story window right behind the venue watching it just come down like no tomorrow and recall having other bands stop sets or whole shows when it was hellish like that at the Verizon (pushed that mojo with us for sure).

Saw other blog where Peter Collins was in attendance at Alpharetta and I remember Geddy saying something early in first set about "welcome our friends from England out there tonight" which I thought was cool (wondering who he was talking about).

Saw other blog where Peter Collins was in attendance at Alpharetta and I remember Geddy saying something early in first set about "welcome our friends from England out there tonight" which I thought was cool (wondering who he was talking about).

I was wondering why he had said that myself ("welcome to our friends from England"); thanks for the info.

So for me I don't mind the mistakes too much. It makes it more "live". If I want to hear it flawless I can pop in the CD. The mistakes also makes each show unique which is nice if you see multiple shows.

I really loved that the show was stripped back. I don't even notice the backing videos during the show but watch them after on the DVD.

Edited by hcm