Security Versus Periscope

tomhealey

Greetings All. I have two quite amazing seats for the Chicago show Friday night, and even though I am an absolute, uncontested caveman on technology and social media, I set up a Twitter account, to return the Periscoping favor that so many have bestowed on me. I even tried it out and got it to work fine.

So my first question is, has anyone heard any stories about anyone being shut down while Periscoping during a show this tour? I haven't, and given Geddy's past comments about his mixed feelings about bootlegs, perhaps the band doesn't much care. Have people seen anyone told to put down a phone?

Second question (purely a fan preference question), if I'm unable to 'scope the whole show, what few songs should be my focus? My preference is second half of second set, but thought I'd solicit comments. Maybe, since I'll be likely getting Setlist C, I focus on YYZ and Natural Science? Other thoughts?

• Like 2

Are correspondents allowed to submit material for YBG?

Most certainly.

On a serious note...to think management is not aware of what we do hear seems naive. Call me crazy. But maybe they won't care. A risk for sure. If you do get caught, show them your YBG press credentials. Most assuredly they will back off.

I can't imagine that security would do anything more than ask you to put your phone away, and that seems unlikely to me. Remember, there's no way for them to tell if you're taking a picture, making a video or using periscope.
  • Like 2

And I'd vote to start recording right after Tom Sawyer and going for as long as you can. Having said that, I love the crowd reactions to RTB and would want to see that if possible.
  • Like 2

And I'd vote to start recording right after Tom Sawyer and going for as long as you can. Having said that, I love the crowd reactions to RTB and would want to see that if possible.

So RTB and then skip to after Tom Sawyer? That would work... :dweez:

I can't imagine that security would do anything more than ask you to put your phone away, and that seems unlikely to me. Remember, there's no way for them to tell if you're taking a picture, making a video or using periscope.

Correct.

The main things that are asked of security is just to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. At concerts this would mainly be making sure folks in the crowd are acting too rowdy, trying to start fights (not likely at a Rush show) look out for drunk/high people who are causing a disturbance, or any assholes that might be causing one for whatever reason. Fans standing on chairs is a big safety hazard as well, so they need to put a stop to that if they see it. People using their phones at concerts is all too common now and it's not really seen as a big issue unless you draw attention to yourself by constantly holding it up over your head and blocking the view of people behind you or you're holding it out way in front of you. Even then, with how dark these venues are, it will be hard for them to see what you're doing unless somebody points it out to them. Just don't draw any attention to yourself while periscoping and you should be fine.

Don't be obvious and security wont bother you at all.

I was in my seat the entire CBus show, had the phone fairly close to my chest and just peeked at it once in a while to make sure the framing was good and I got the entire show 'scoped.

Also make sure to turn the brightness allllll the way down on your phones display.

1. it'll save you a butt-ton of battery

2. you wont be like a little mini-sun in the middle of your section attracting the security flies ;)

• Like 2

Most certainly.

On a serious note...to think management is not aware of what we do hear seems naive. Call me crazy. But maybe they won't care. A risk for sure. If you do get caught, show them your YBG press credentials. Most assuredly they will back off.

Heheheh, yes, that would be incredibly naive! :LOL:

• Like 2

Most certainly.

The second I saw the Tulsa show on periscope I had to get tickets to VA and Philly. I knew the two NYC area shows were not enough!

Driving 900 miles and spending cash I otherwise would not.

Big thanks to periscope and...that awesome band and crew!

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

I have it on reasonably good authority that my efforts to scope the whole show will not be entirely welcomed. So per the thoughts above, I'll try RTB in the first set, then try Natural Science in the second set and see how far I get.

Most certainly.

The second I saw the Tulsa show on periscope I had to get tickets to VA and Philly. I knew the two NYC area shows were not enough!

Suck up

Most certainly.

Look at it this way - no one is going to stay home and not buy a ticket just so they can scope. So Rush or any affiliates aren't losing any money by letting people scope.

• Like 2

I can see how doing a 'scope on the floor could be distracting to others around you but if you're in the lower bowl with a decent sight line you can simply hold your phone close to your chest and nobody will even know you're 'scoping...

... I know this because that's what I did in CBus... only checked the phone every once in a while to make sure I was still framed reasonably well and still enjoyed the show.

Nobody, including security had a clue what I was doing.

• Like 3

I just hope you're not the seat ahead of me with your cellphone constantly in my sight-line.

Great point.

PLEASE keep your phone down by your face/chest...

Speaking from someone who paid too much for floor seats in Atlanta, only to have the bozo in front of me constantly holding his phone over his head (and in my sight line), this can be extremely annoying.

Most certainly.

Suck up

Gladly, since 1979 ;)

seriously, folks have a point about periscope frm the floor, cell phones are constantly blocking the view. But that's taking pics also, which tons of fans do. It is better to scope from the lower bowl so views are not as much blocked.