Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 10 2011, 11:34 AM)
Last night I saw Deep Purple for free. Great show. Ernie and the Automatics opened and they were very good. Barry Goodreau and Sib Hashian of Boston are members so after doing a bunch of great originals, they played a medley of Boston songs from the first album which was cool.

Then Deep Purple came out. They had members of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra playing but they didn't really do much and when they did play, they were barely audible. My seat was about 20 rows back, but I stood right near the stage for most of the show, with about 4 people in front of me. The set list was very good. Steve Morse really stole the show. Even though he's not Richtie    Blackmore, he is the greatest live guitarist I've ever seen. Roger Glover was excellent and sounded great. Ian Paice is a monster on drums. One of the most underrated drummer ever. Ian Gillan sounded decent. I'm not sure if it was the venue or his age but his voice sounded much different live, but he still was able to belt out the songs. Don Airey is a decent keyboardist but I'd much rather of had Jon Lord there. All the members, especially Morse and Glover, looked like they were having a great time and they were full of energy. This show was one of my favorite concerts ever. Once I get my laptop back I'll post some pictures.

Steve Morse is probably my fav guitarist. Seen him live heaps with his solo band and Purple, but sadly, never with the Dixie Dregs. I saw Purple last year and it was a great show. No gimics, no great light show, just high energy awesome music played with passion and enjoyment. Fantastic concert. I basically was leaning on the stage all night, so got some nice photo's.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/7.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/3.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/2.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/shiftydog/5.jpg

Robin Trower was excellent! He only played for an hour and a half with no opening act, but the show was stunning. There were a few songs that I didn't recognize, but he played a bunch of stuff from Bridge of Sighs, Twice Removed From Yesterday, and the new album. His whole band is very good too. The venue was very small, so there were no bad angles. It was a little awkward being there, because I was the youngest person there. Kind of sad that in 20-30 years his music will practically be forgotten sad.gif Overall, great show!

I would post pics of this show and Deep Purple, but the pictures from my phone are horrible. Once I loaded them onto my laptop, they were very grainy and distorted.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Just got from The Beach Boys a few minutes ago. Guys are still great 50 years on. The Lettermen opened with a spectacular set and I'm really impressed by them. I was surprised that the main act wasn't even due on stage until 8:45! But they gave us a 2 hour set and I can't be any happier. Wish I brought my camera since I wasn't too far from the stage.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention...John Stamos joined in as a drummer and guitarist!

Edited by Oracle

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 24 2011, 02:23 AM)
^^^^^^Wait.

Did you say they played Man-Erg?

They played Man-Erg!!!???

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

I will die unhappy probably never hearing this song performed live sad.gif

OK, this is probably going to push you over the edge, but every time I've seen them play, they've played Man-Erg. And each time it's reduced me to a quivering blob of man jelly.

I know. I know.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 24 2011, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 24 2011, 02:23 AM)
^^^^^^Wait.

Did you say they played Man-Erg?

They played Man-Erg!!!???

fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif

I will die unhappy probably never hearing this song performed live  sad.gif

OK, this is probably going to push you over the edge, but every time I've seen them play, they've played Man-Erg. And each time it's reduced me to a quivering blob of man jelly.

I know. I know.

Oh man, this is so perfect fists crying.gif

Ah, well, I would love to see them either way and I'm glad I "get" this difficult band.

All I can say about last night is:

MIND = BLOWN.

Not as blown as RUSH or even REO Speedwagon + Three Dog Night a few years ago, but still, holy cow turned into a delicious beef burger!

Last night I, my best friend, my parents, and 62,500 other people trudged through the 95+ degree weather to that wonderful place called Memorial Park, hauling coolers and blankets and lawn chairs to the annual Bank of the West Celebrates America: Rockin' Omaha! concert. It was sweaty and of course the mosquitoes were pretty bad and it was too hot to get up and dance but oohh, it was SO WORTH IT.

The concert opened with a local group which had supposedly been "voted for" through Facebook or something. I was.. less than impressed. They sounded like an odd combination of Green Day and some indie band and their vocalist made me want to run home and hide my ears in my pillow. God! Complete with whiny lyrics and musicians who didn't really impress me. But, I don't know, just don't "Take Me to Vegas" with Take Me to Vegas.

In fact, guys, go back to Vegas.

..Wait, leave the bassist, he was pretty hot. wink.gif

But enough whining! The next band on stage was

38 SPECIAL!

I felt bad because I didn't know hardly any of their music but they were really fun to watch! Their lead vocalist (sorry, don't know names) was just having a ball up there, despite being probably as old as the RUSH guys and being on that hot, hot stage. He was having a lot of fun with that mic stand and the whole band was great at getting the crowd involved. They were all locked in and sounded great. I think I might need to go check out some of their music now!

After about an hour, maybe a little more, 38 Special left the stage and on came the headliner...

...CHEAP TRICK!

Now here was a band I actually knew. (At least a few songs.) Those four guys truly did not disappoint. Such a fun group to watch. And did I mention the epic TWELVE-string bass? No? Well it was up there. And it was amazing. (Bassist did not get enough screen time -- more on that later.)

And then I saw it.

The Five-Neck Guitar.

The second he pulled it out I had two thoughts:

"What is tha--?"

"HOLY --!"

Of course my dad leaned forward and yelled in my ear, "I want one of those for Father's Day next year!" but it was the coolest thing ever! I'd never seen anything like it before!! I would pay to go see Cheap Trick again just to see that epic guitar. I don't think the guy even used all the necks. He just stood up there and played it and looked freaking awesome during the encore.

(Of course he brought it out for "Dream Police".)

He also had a really neat guitar that actually said "Gonna Raise Hell" across the fingerboard, which he played during said song. My dad counted ten guitars for that guy throughout CT's performance.

That's what I call "boss".

The encore faded away and the concert ended with a magnificent fireworks display, which ended with Katy Perry's "Firework", which made me very, very happy, since that is one of her songs I actually enjoy. biggrin.gif They were, of course, fantastic, but I see those fireworks every year so.. Still, it was a nice closer to a fabulous night.

In terms of technicalities, this was the best Memorial Park concert I've ever been to. First of all, it was still free.. though they encouraged people to donate for charity (proceeds went to the Omaha Food Bank). They moved the stage further down on the hill so more people could sit and be comfortable -- after last year's crowd of 80,000 (I was there) for Kansas-Styx-Foreigner they realized what needed to change. Even though there were less people I could recognize the difference -- and actually see the stage this year. They also added two speakers further up from the stage so people in the back could hear, too.

Even with so many people the venue was fine. A few intoxication arrests for people who had a few too many drinks, but I didn't smell any weed and most people were pretty good. My biggest complaint was that the people in front of where my friend and I sat were smoking cancer sticks like freaking chimneys. Around their kids! I suppose it's their right, but I have a secondhand-smoke allergy and that did not make me happy. Besides we had a good spot this year and I didn't want to move.

Bathroom lines weren't too bad, which was good, considering the situation was disastrous last year.

The best improvement were the SCREENS!! Like at the RUSH concert they had cameras on stage panning between musicians so even if you were a ways back you could still see them. Freaking epic! I would've hated to have missed that five-neck guitar! My only complaint is that in all the bands they paid the most attention to the lead guitar and lead vocalist, respectively.

(However, for Cheap Trick when the drummer had a really neat solo in.. Gonna Raise Hell I think... they gave him a lot of face-time, and the bassist at times too.) So I hope they bring back the screens and appreciate the other musicians a little more next year.

It's always great fun and it's worth the trip.. especially if you live six blocks from the venue like me. It's free, it's fun, it's great for the whole family, and it's back every Fourth of July Weekend in Omaha, NE!

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 2 2011, 11:00 AM)
MIND = BLOWN.
Not as blown as RUSH or even REO Speedwagon + Three Dog Night a few years ago, but still, holy cow turned into a delicious beef burger!

38 SPECIAL!
I felt bad because I didn't know hardly any of their music but they were really fun to watch! Their lead vocalist (sorry, don't know names) was just having a ball up there, despite being probably as old as the RUSH guys and being on that hot, hot stage. He was having a lot of fun with that mic stand and the whole band was great at getting the crowd involved. They were all locked in and sounded great. I think I might need to go check out some of their music now!

It's always great fun and it's worth the trip.. especially if you live six blocks from the venue like me. It's free, it's fun, it's great for the whole family, and it's back every Fourth of July Weekend in Omaha, NE!

38 special is great. "Wild Eyed Sothern Boys" and "Special Forces" are two of their best albums.

Edited by bigmoney2112

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 4 2011, 02:17 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 2 2011, 11:00 AM)
MIND = BLOWN.

38 SPECIAL!

38 special is great. "Wild Eyed Sothern Boys" and "Special Forces" are two of their best albums.

Oh yeah? Well thanks for the suggestions. One thing I've always loved about the annual free concert is that it's a great way for me to discover new bands (well, new to me), for better or for worse. And, of course feedback from people who already know the bands is great!

Not to mention the price tag is very, very attractive. (Just so long as you're not a prude and drop in a five-dollar-bill for the Food Bank.)

I have seen Cheap trick 7 times (all fabulous shows!! especially when I was in front rows lol. it's easy to meet the band when they always see you in the front. )

Chicago- AWESOME. so unbelievable. I LOVE Chicago! met the whole band afterwards, too.

Alice Cooper- so amazing! ROCKED!!!!!!!

Styx- kicked ASS.

KMFDM- only went 'cause my friends invited me lol. it sucked. mosh pits ain't my thang.

Eric Clapton Crossroads guitar festival- didnt stay long enough to see Slowhand, but got to see one of my all-time favourite musicians, Robert Cray<3 <3 <3 wonderful. Doyle Bramhall II was just as fantastic.

NSYNC! MY FIRST EVER CONCERT!! hehe. I was 10 =D and yes. i still like them.

<3

I don't know if I talked about the Rush show I saw last month, but there are a few things that made this show great:

1. It was indoors.

2. It was indoors.

3. It was indoors.

4. It was indoors.

5. This was the best performance by Rush I have seen.

5. The bass in the arena was amazing - the floor literally shook during the Oberheim growls in Tom Sawyer.

So yeah, indoors Rush beats other Rush, especially when you live in the South and they play amphitheatres in the heat of June and July.

Been to a lot of shows this summer, but the one that was the best was Rush, FRONT ROW, DEAD CENTER on June 28, 2011 (Portland show). Absolutely fukking amazing experience and I am STILL high from it.

2.gif

1022.gif

2.gif

1022.gif

2.gif

1022.gif

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 01:30 AM)
last show I went to was dinosaur jr

doubt many rushers dig that group, but it was a killer show

Saw 'em last year, they were fantastic. BUT! Built to Spill blew them off the stage. That's how good BTS were.

A perfect Circle in San Antonio.

Brilliant, excellent concert. Opening band was decent, some Japanese chicks but very generic sounding and nothing like APC.

Maynard gave his all, and they played all my favorites. Billy is an amazing guitarist who knows what notes to play to really reach you. Orestes was sheer brilliance, lovely stuff. The show was quite psychedelic too, and maynard didn't hate us tongue.gif

Thanks Maynard and Billy, and the rest of APC, for putting on a marvelous show.

Saw Yes and Styx last night at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in St. Louis... or what should be called RIVERPORT, but I digress.

Yes was in good form. Age clearly is taking their appearance (Steve Howe looked very out of it at times) but not their ability to make music. Their new singer, Benoit David, does a convincing Jon Anderson. They played music from their new album, but the best crowd response came from classics like Seen All Good People, Starship Trooper and Owner of a Lonely Heart, which had the crowd singing along in parts.

However, clearly St. Louis is Styx country. The opener in their line-up was Blue Collar Man, and clearly the blue-collar population of St. Louis responds better to this. Almost every song... save for One with Everything... was greeted with the crowd on their feet, and the chorus' sung along with.

Styx blew Yes out of the water as far as crowd reaction, but I actually thought this was a very good double-headliner. Yes will entertain your intellect, then Styx will rock you out.

Good show by both bands.

This was my third time seeing Styx, and one of their best performances for sure. Nothing beats the first time I saw them (my first rock concert ever) at the Pageant in St. Louis, where I stood about 3 feet from the stage. JY threw a pic out into the crowd and it hit my friend in before bouncing to a luckier audience member. But still, being that close was mind blowingly fun.

Great show for Styx last night, still. Good show for Yes, but I don't think their music has aged as well in the live scene.

I saw the U2 360 Tour last night in Pittsburgh. Here is my review.

WOW! That was FRACKING AWESOME!

That's about all I got to say.

Here's a few pics of the crazy stage

http://bit.ly/pizBIy

(Also one random shot of the Mr. Rodgers statue that is in riverfront park by Heinz field.)

IRON MAIDEN 28th July, M.E.N. Arena

whew...what a night!!! 1022.gif

The arena was packed, both tiers, but I was part of the huge crowd in the standing area, which was where most fun was to be had.

First off, the support was Airbourne...yep them AC/DC clones...and they were good fun, playing some basic rock 'n' roll with plenty of fiery lead guitar work and running about.

Then came Maiden.

Opening with "Satellite 15...The Final Frontier", with rather a long pre-recorded opening to whet our appetites before they finally hit the stage. And once the hit the stage, it was sheer awesomeness from start to finish. The band were on absolute top form, and Bruce's voice was fantastic (specially given that they started the tour last year). Dickinson was, as ever, the master front man, giving it all the usual "Scream for me!" (my throat is still sore)

The setlist was a good mixture of old standards and new songs, and I thought all the songs off The Final Frontier worked great live.

The walk on Eddie came on during The Evil That Men Do, and was even given a guitar so he could join in. But even better was during Iron Maiden, when a giant hand rose up from behind each end of the stage and Eddie's head and shoulders rose up from behind the drum kit.

I found some videos of the gig, not taken by me tough (these were shot from the seating area on the right, while I was standing down in the midst of the action).

Enjoy 1022.gif

Edited by Your_Lion