Concert Reviews

Disco

Metric- awful. That could have partially been due to the fact that most of the people interested in them were eighteen year old drunk girls. But not a great live act.

Weezer- not a fan of their music, but live, they were very funny and amusing.

MUSE- no words. Probably one of the greatest bands to see live ever. Amazing in every sense of the word. I am ready to see them again (although I highly doubt I'll ever be that close to the stage again).

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Sep 27 2010, 10:20 PM)
I just want to say how happy I am that I went to the second night of Muse at Staples Center. I thought hearing MK Ultra was incredible the first night.

I've seen them twice so far on the Resistance tour (Oakland, Coachella) and 6 times combined but these past two nights (specifically night 2):

I have NEVER seen the band like this before and if this is the kind of show they treat their U.K fans to nightly then I have to say that I am incredibly jealous. Matt and Dom both talked a lot over the course of both nights and the crowds were incredible.

Bliss
Ruled by Secrecy

The outro to Stockholm Syndrome on night 2 (The longest Muse jam in history) was so heavy and amazing. Matt was tearing shit up. Even Neutron Star Collision was great. Absolutely incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpzvUPbbivQ...player_embedded
Stockholm Syndrome Outro

They didn't talk at all Friday night, but I think that's because New Orleans had no idea how to handle them. I'm not kidding when I say most of the concert I was the only one singing and jumping up and down and air guitaring/bassing it. Matt actually looked right at me during MK Ultra because I was the only one doing anything (I was in the fourth row). There were some cool fans that I think like them, but one of the fans bet with me to get closer and I said, "Okay, sing Sunburn for me" and he had no idea that was even a song by them or that Showbiz was their debut album. And don't even get me started on the girls around me complaining to their boyfriends... I elbowed a few of them to get them out of my way. But whatever. I had the time of my life. I've waited a decade to see them and it was worth the wait.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Garbo/40136_461335405736_517040736_6027806_5836684_n.jpg

Well 4 great gigs in a little over a week.

Robert Plant and the Band of Joy at the Sage in Gateshead. Percy was in top form and let the band go. Buddy Miller - what a guitarist! The Zep numbers were so unusual that it a joy (no pun intended). Tangerine, Houses of the Holy, Misty Mountain Hop, Gallows Pole and Rock and Roll. The highlight had to be Monkey though, so f**king haunting.

Wishbone Ash at the Academy, Newcastle. Fabulous tunes, but the band lack a front man with a set of pipes.

Nils Lofgren back at the Sage. His acoustic set. If someone had said 30 year ago that I would be screaming myself horse having watched 2 guys perform with keyboards and an acoustic guitar, I'd have told them to p**s off! The naivety of youth. Nils started on a harp! I've never seen one played live before. Top stuff. The there is the tap dancing - I kid you not!

Finally, it was the Black Keys back at the Academy. Is there a harder working band! If there is at the moment I want to see them. The sound wasn't great early on, but it got better and the whole place was bouncing. We should invoke a ruling that if ALL the band members don't come off stage covered in their own sweat, they have to play on until they are.

QUOTE (garbo @ Oct 31 2010, 11:38 PM)
They didn't talk at all Friday night, but I think that's because New Orleans had no idea how to handle them.  I'm not kidding when I say most of the concert I was the only one singing and jumping up and down and air guitaring/bassing it.  Matt actually looked right at me during MK Ultra because I was the only one doing anything (I was in the fourth row).  There were some cool fans that I think like them, but one of the fans bet with me to get closer and I said, "Okay, sing Sunburn for me" and he had no idea that was even a song by them or that Showbiz was their debut album.  And don't even get me started on the girls around me complaining to their boyfriends... I elbowed a few of them to get them out of my way.  But whatever.  I had the time of my life.  I've waited a decade to see them and it was worth the wait.

When I saw them in Atlanta back in February, the crowd was pretty into it, though the setlist was pretty hit-heavy and didn't really dig deep. It sucked being in a seat and not on the floor, the people on the floor were mad into it. I tried to jump during the more exciting songs (New Born, Plug in Baby), but the crowd around me was pretty dead. It sucked that they didn't really dig deep for the setlist, but then again, I didn't know all of the words to their stuff then so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Monday: Stone Temple Pilots.

Scott didnt seem too wasted, though he definitely didnt look like he had very much energy going through the set. Other than that, they crunched through a very solid set of some new songs mixed with some great older ones.

Tuesday: Gary Numan

He played the entire Pleasure Principle album, as well as some of his best tracks in recent years. Amazing show! I also managed to snag a setlist along with the free poster at the end of the night.

I hope it's acceptable to give a review about seeing Cesar Millan Nov. 2. A few seconds of music was played during the slides , so that should legitimize my post.

It was great to see Cesar, aka the Dog Whisperer. His show was about dogs, often delivered in a stand up comic manner. His imitations were hilarious, especially the way he portrayed a cat or a dog in heat. There was also local dog owner participation. The most touching was the autistic teenager who was non verbal as a child and was paired with a dog. Now, he has blossomed, is speaking and helps train dogs for other autistic children. That dog changed his life.

Another neat moment was watching a dog with a toy obsession. He was transformed by Cesar's calm and assertive energy.. literally took only minutes, just like on the TV show.

I enjoyed this 'concert'.

Saw Gregg Allman tonight touring for his new album. It was great, he played a few new songs and some old solo songs. He also played a bunch of ABB songs that they didn't play when I saw them in November like Whipping Post, Dreams, Melissa, and Statesboro Blues. I caught a pick during the encore, and it was awesome! Jaimoe's Jasssz Band opened, and they were good also.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 12 2011, 05:49 PM)
Just got back from Blue Oyster Cult. Eric Bloom was apparently sick, so he couldn't make the show but they played anyway with 4 members. Buck Dharma was great, and sang most lead vocals. The setlist was good, and it included all their hits and standards.

Would love to see that setlist dude. All hail the Cult 1022.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 12 2011, 06:14 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 12 2011, 05:49 PM)
Just got back from Blue Oyster Cult. Eric Bloom was apparently sick, so he couldn't make the show but they played anyway with 4 members. Buck Dharma was great, and sang most lead vocals. The setlist was good, and it included all their hits and standards.

Would love to see that setlist dude. All hail the Cult 1022.gif

I don't remember the exact order, but they played The Red and The Black, Then Came The Last Days of May, Don't Fear The Reaper, Godzilla, Burnin' For You, Shooting Shark, Hot Rails To Hell, Buck's Boogie, and a few more that I don't remember. I tried looking up the setlist online, but I coldn't find it anywhere. If I do find it, I'll post it here.

What really impressed me was that they were still able to put on a great show despite Eric Bloom not being there. Rudy Sarzo's bass solo was excellent and Buck Dharma sounded great. 1022.gif

Just saw Danko Jones on Saturday Feb 5th at The Mod Club in Toronto. This was such an amazing show! We were right at the edge of the stage, beside the speakers. After witnessing two "rocking" opening bands, I knew we wee in for a treat.

Danko and the band appeared on stage in the darkness and the room (which was eerily devoid of fan cheers all night) suddenly exploded as the rest of the ticketholders filed in through the door. The band kept looking straight at us occasionally all night as the played some kick-ass tunes. These guys never take it easy or slow their energy down - they just wallop you over the head with pure rock n roll.

It's like a band utilizing the image of Thin Lizzy, mixed with the rock n roll of Jimi Hendrix, mixed with the speed of Motorhead. Absolutely terrific.

Danko is also very funny. My sides were hurting from laughing at some of the things he was saying - commenting on how our concert had to be shortened due to the impending "club night" which forces all of us out and causes an early show. It was just simply hilarious.

Terrific band for how cheap the ticket prices were... 16 bucks apiece!

You rock, guys!

Saw Billy Cobham at Ronnie Scott's in London on Friday. First time I'd seen him although I know of Neil's admiration for him. And I can see why. The guy is in his mid-60s and still has a kick like a mule, fantastic rhythm, dexterity etc.

He played stuff off 'Crosswinds', 'Palindrome' (his latest) and others I didn't know. Fantastic band too including Michael Mondesir on bass and Junior Gill on steel drum and percussion.

Neil is good but Cobham is a gateway to another place.......man.

Saw Heart on Feb 18th at TCU place in Saskatoon. Even though they are my second favorite band ever, I was hesitant to go because I was a bit worried Ann might not be as impressive a singer as I had hoped - keep in mind this is my favorite vocalist ever...I place her on a pretty big pedestal. Sort of like seeing your favorite boxer at the end of their career get pummeled, I just didn't want to go if it was going to suck. Anyway a few friends, including one Heart hater (!) and I went after forking over $93 for good seats in a really nice auditorium.

Well, I can say I am very glad I went. Is their new band as good as the original lineup, or even the mid 80's crew? Nope, but they are still good. Are Ann and Nancy poster material? Uh, no, I don't look at them that way anymore lol it isn't 1985. Can they still bring it? YES! Once they hit the 2nd half of the show Ann really decided to crank it up and blew the place away. Her voice is so loud, in a good way, it is simply unreal. She has lost some ability to hit the high notes and her speaking voice has become quite gravely as if she smoked a box of cigs before the show, but even at 60 she is amazing to hear. Nancy played great as to be expected, and it was quite obvious that the Wilsons still enjoying performing live.

They started off with Cook with Fire" and played most of the usual numbers, a couple new songs off Red Velvet Car , and great covers of "Gimme Shelter", "Love Reign o'er Me", and "What Is and What Should Never Be". Sadly missing for me was "Little Queen" but overall there was nothing to complain about.

If anyone is a fan I suggest trying to see them as it is a great show. No it won't have the cool dresses from 1977 or the cleavage of 1985, but you will see two legends perform that can still deliver with the best of them. Even the hater we went with was impressed..she admitted that Ann is something special. What better endorsement is there than that?

Due to circumstances, we totally missed The Red Stick Ramblers and didn't stay for The Avett Brothers (I nearly passed out due to the heat), BUT we saw Mumford and Sons (YAY!) and The Subdudes at JazzFest.

My review is linked here at my blog

The rest of the pics (all 110 of them, ha) are up on my facebook. If anyone would rather I copy and paste I can, but I don't think there are many or even any M&S fans on here. Shame.

My Chemical Romance/Thursday/The Architects - May 11, 2011 - The Tabernacle, Atlanta GA

When I was first becoming a MyChem fan in early 2008, they were finishing a tour, so I couldn't see them, so these past few years have been a period of waiting.

Well, the wait is over.

My Chemical Romance put on a great show at The Tabernacle on Wednesday night. In the span of an hour and a half, MCR played new songs from their latest album, performed a reworked version of an older song, and played two songs from their first album, all to the joy of the 3,000 or so souls inside the venue. The crowd was pumped, yet peaceful, as no fights or moshing happened on the floor, and Gerard's control of the crowd was ace.

First opening act The Architects surprised me. I hadn't heard anything by them before, but they sounded good, a nice mixture of blues-rock, with some classic pop thrown in. Thursday, who were in the middle, were also good, and it was nice to hear their keyboard player using a Minimoog Voyager biggrin.gif and the rest of the band were good, too. It was their last night opening for MyChem, whom Thursday have known for over a decade, both bands hailing from New Jersey.

Personally, I found the songs to be performed well. Gerard's voice sounds better than ever, and the one MCR song that I'm not terribly fond of - "Summertime" - sounded fresh in a live setting. Was it a perfect show? No, but it was pretty damn close.

Setlist

Na Na Na

Give 'Em Hell, Kid

Planetary (GO!)

Hang 'Em High

Mama

The Only Hope for Me is You

House of Wolves

Summertime

I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

Vampire Money

DESTROYA

Welcome to the Black Parade

The Ghost of You (New Version)

Teenagers

Vampires Will Never Hurt You

Helena

Encore

Our Lady of Sorrows

Bulletproof Heart

(p.s. I'm a terrible writer, that's why my review sucks laugh.gif)

I saw Danzig on Friday and he freaking blew me away. I love Danzig, but I wasn't expecting him to sound that good and be so full of energy. He played a good mix of old and new stuff, and I love his newest album so that was cool with me. Randy from Lamb of God came out at the end and did Tired of Being Alive with him during the encore. One of the best crowds I've ever seen at any show, which always makes it more fun.

Wotan's Procession

SkinCarver

Twist of Cain

Hammer of the Gods

Her Black Wings

How the Gods Kill

Do You Wear the Mark

Ju Ju Bone

Thirteen

Deth Red Moon

On a Wicked Night

Black Angel, White Angel

Mother

Am I Demon

Tired of Being Alive

Soundgarden July 3rd John Labatt Centre with Coheed & Cambria opening

Return To Forever/Zappa Plays Zappa August 19th Meadowbrook Ampitheater

Foo Fighters September 19th The Palace Of Auburn Hills

Joe Bonamassa October 29th Fox Theater Detroit

Last night, I saw Buddy Guy live. The tickets were free and I wasn't expecting much but the concert was great. I never realized how great he was until I saw him last night. He played guitar with a handkerchief, behind his back, and every other way possible. Not only was the music great, but he joked around and told stories as well. His backing band was good too and his voice is in good shape for someone his age. There were 2 local bands that opened, Bronze Radio Return and the McLovins, and they were decent. Overall, it was a great concert and I'd see him again.

Last night I saw Deep Purple for free. Great show. Ernie and the Automatics opened and they were very good. Barry Goodreau and Sib Hashian of Boston are members so after doing a bunch of great originals, they played a medley of Boston songs from the first album which was cool.

Then Deep Purple came out. They had members of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra playing but they didn't really do much and when they did play, they were barely audible. My seat was about 20 rows back, but I stood right near the stage for most of the show, with about 4 people in front of me. The set list was very good. Steve Morse really stole the show. Even though he's not Richtie Blackmore, he is the greatest live guitarist I've ever seen. Roger Glover was excellent and sounded great. Ian Paice is a monster on drums. One of the most underrated drummer ever. Ian Gillan sounded decent. I'm not sure if it was the venue or his age but his voice sounded much different live, but he still was able to belt out the songs. Don Airey is a decent keyboardist but I'd much rather of had Jon Lord there. All the members, especially Morse and Glover, looked like they were having a great time and they were full of energy. This show was one of my favorite concerts ever. Once I get my laptop back I'll post some pictures.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 15 2011, 10:03 AM)
I saw Danzig on Friday and he freaking blew me away. I love Danzig, but I wasn't expecting him to sound that good and be so full of energy. He played a good mix of old and new stuff, and I love his newest album so that was cool with me. Randy from Lamb of God came out at the end and did Tired of Being Alive with him during the encore. One of the best crowds I've ever seen at any show, which always makes it more fun.

Wotan's Procession
SkinCarver
Twist of Cain
Hammer of the Gods
Her Black Wings
How the Gods Kill
Do You Wear the Mark
Ju Ju Bone
Thirteen
Deth Red Moon
On a Wicked Night
Black Angel, White Angel
Mother
Am I Demon
Tired of Being Alive

Yep, I saw him back in October and he sounded awesome! Still has the voice. I didn't get Am I Demon or Do You Wear The Mark. Still a completely amazing performance from one of my favorite vocalists and a f***ing living legend! 1022.gif