Concert Reviews

Disco

Eagles, Twickenham 17/6/6

The day started at about 9.30 when the in-laws arrived to pick-up James and Mary and drop the two of us in town. After getting my repeat prescription from the Doctors (and getting it filled at the chemists), we got some food for the journey and caught the 10:40 bus to London which got us into London Victoria Bus Station at 2:50. From here, we made our way to Victoria Train Station and, after a quick stop-off, bought a couple of return tickets to Twickenham.

The initial part of the train journey, as far as Clapham Junction where we had to change, passed without incident (Unless you class passing Battersea Power Station, sadly minus a giant pig floating above it ). Upon arriving at Clapham, we crossed over to the correct platform which was packed to the gills with Eagles fans waiting for the Twickenham train. when it finally turned up, it was so full we decided to wait for the next which was due 10 minutes later. By the time this one arrived, the platform had filled arrived again and the train was quite full for the 45 minute journey to Twickenham.

Upon arrival at Twickenham Station, we were presented with a leaflet providing information for getting back to London after the gig (the organisation was fantastic but more on that later). Exiting the station, we had no problem finding our way to the Stadium as there was a constant stream of humanity on both sides of the road (according to the Twickenham web site, the capacity for concerts is around 50,000).

Upon arriving at the venue, we made our way to the correct gate and went inside. Twickenham is one of the biggest sporting venues in the country (being the home of the England Rugby Union Team) and neither of us were pre-pared for quite how big the place is.

At about 5.45, The Dixie Chicks, who were the support band, took the stage for a short set. I suppose the best thing I can say about them is that they were 'inoffensive' - nothing remarkable at all really. They, like most support acts, were hampered by the sound they got - as the stadium was still quite empty during their set, the sound echoed around the cavernous stadium meaning that the vocals in particular were pretty much lost. Fortunately, it was quite a short set and they were finished by about 6.20 although they were given a polite, if not exactly warm, response by the crowd.

It was 7.15 when the Eagles took the stage, still bathed in brilliant sunshine, with Take It Easy which immediately got the crowd in the mood, following it up with Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling and Pretty Maids All in a Row - the sort of opening to a set a lot of bands would probably leave to their encore. The sound, which for the Dixie Chicks and been boomy and echoing in such a cavernous setting, was soaked up by the bigger crowd and, as such, only needed a little fine tuning as the opening set progressed.

The band were in fine form (even if Joe Walsh's vocals tended to show a little strain during In the City) but, by the time that first set closer The long Run came around, the band were in a groove, playing tightly and with precision.

Set Two, following a brief procession of video clips from the band's history (how come Timothy B Schmidt doesn't seem to have aged?) began with a selection of acoustic numbers, some of which (Tequila Sunrise in particular were slightly marred by the over-intrusive horn section.)

However, once the mellow interlude was over, things got rocking with spirited run throughs of Life's Been Good (helmet cam included ), Life in the Fast Land and Heartache Tonight. Throughout all this, Joe Walsh proved himself the star of the show and, more than anything, showed that he is still a great guitarist.

When the encores came around, if Twickenham had had a roof it would have been torn away by the massed voices that greeted Hotel California. A great run though with some lovely guitar interplay between Walsh and Steuart Smith, who had impressed me throughout the night. Gutsy run throughs of Rocky Mountain Way and Already Gone kept the crowd dancing and singing before the final, emotive finale of Desperado finished a brilliant set.

Complaints (and these really are nit picks) are that I would have liked to have seen Henley's solo tracks Dirty Laundry and All She Wants to Do is Dance replaced by some of the better Eagles stuff that was missed like, for example, The Last Resort, Doolin Dalton or Get Over It. In addition, there were times when the horn section's sound did not quite balance and were a little over powering. However, as I said, these are minor quibbles and, all in all, it was a great evening putting The Eagles firmly as the second best live band I've ever seen (behind Rush but ahead of Queen).

The Journey Home

As you can imagine, 50,000 odd people can cause quite a headache when they all decide to head for home and, for me and the wife, getting back to Mansfield was an adventure all in itself.

As we exited the stadium, just after 10, we were greeted by a solid mass of people that were heading in two directions (this isn't counting the very small minority who had brought their own transport). Some of the crowd, upon exiting, turned left and headed for the shuttle buses that were to take them to Richmond underground station (I would hazard a guess of about 1/3, The rest turned right and headed for Twickenham station. With the wisdom of great experience, the police had closed off most of the surrounding roads and had posted mounted officers periodically along the route to guide the crowd. Once the road to the station was reached, the crowd were divided into two - one group who wanted trains to Reading and Ealing were directed to one platform while the majority, who were London bound, were shepherded towards another.

At the platform entrance, a Southern Trains employee was allowing only enough people to fill one train at a time onto the platform. As the trains were departing at 10 muinute intervals, the crowd was moving smoothly and with a minimum of fuss. Even so, it was after 11 before we were able to board the train (it had taken us an hour to move about 3/4 mile) to Clapham Junction where we had to change for Victoria.

The train arrived in Victoria at about 11:45, 15 minutes after the last bus of the evening to mansfield had departed. Not expecting to get there in time for this bus, we had booked seats on the next one departing for Mansfield. The only catch is that this did not leave London until 8:30 in the morning. The plan had been to get somethng to eat (by this time we were starving) and spend the night on the bus station. However, once we had eaten (Burger King was about the only place open), we made our way to the Bus Station only to find that they closed it for the night at about 1am. Undeterred, we decided to head back to the train station and spend the night there only to find that they closed that at 1am also, allowing people who had pre-bought tickets into the station 10 minuted before the train was due.

This left us in quite a quandry as we ha nowhere to spend the night. For a lack of anything better to do, we decided to go for a walk and headed in the direction of The Houses of Parliament and, from there, a little way along the side of the Thames until we reached The Hungerford Bridge which looks amazing at night.

We then walked along the River, past the London Eye, until we reached Westminster Bridge, which we crossed and decided to make our way back towards Victoria. By this time, it was getting on for 3am and started looking for somewhere we could settle down until the bus station opened at 5 am. Eventually, we elected upon a series of alcove type things just down the road from the station where Jess was able to grab a couple of hours sleep.

When the bus station opened its doors at 5am, we entered and got some breakfast and, more importantly for me, some coffee. As we had had 3 1/2 hours until the bus was due, we both did our best to get some sleep in the metal seats that are only really good for keeping you awake. It was with great joy that we were able to get on the bus at about 8:15 and both of us slept most of the way home.

altho *I* didn't go, i thought i'd still share...

last weekend my daughter went to the 89X birthday bash in downtown detroit..

specifically to see her favorite band MSI

they do a very interesting (to say the least) cover of 'Tom Sawyer'

here's 2 pics of her living her dream.... meeting the lead singer....Little Jimmy Urine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/01-Photo1.jpg

and then, she got a kiss!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/04-Photo4.jpg

she also caught a water bottle he had been drinking from, and then threw into the crowd... he signed it....

Just saw RADIOHEAD last night. I dont have much time to post a big review or pics as I have to be at work in 30 mins, but here was the setlist...

01 You And Whose Army

02 The National Anthem

03 15 Step [Thom says "Ok California" with an accent]

04 Morning Bell

05 Exit Music

06 Arpeggi

07 Videotape

08 I Might Be Wrong

09 Street Spirit

10 Nude

11 Down Is The New Up

12 Pyramid Song

13 Like Spinning Plates

14 Bangers 'N Mash [Thom "This fog is strange"]

15 There There

16 Spooks

17 Idioteque

Encore 1

18 A Wolf At The Door

19 4 Minute Warning

20 Bones

21 Lucky

Encore 2

22 House of Cards

23 Everything In Its Right Place

---

I just love how they arent sticking with radio hits and are going with a more obscure, and in my opinion a mostly better, selection of songs. I really wanted to hear them do a few select Amnesiac tracks like Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates and I Might Be Wrong, and I got to see all 3 of them in the same night. Tonight should be good as well, night 2 of 2 in Berkeley.

Edited by Moonraker

Saw Radiohead for night 2 of 2 at Berkeley last night. This setlist had a much better choice of Hail To The Theif material, as well as some really cool tracks from The Bends - Kid A they missed the night before. The crowd was also much more energetic tonight too.

01 Airbag

02 2+2=5

03 Where I End And You Begin

04 15 Step

05 Kid A

06 Dollars And Cents

07 Down Is The New Up

08 Nude

09 Paranoid Android

10 No Surprises

11 The Gloaming

12 All I Need

13 Climbing Up The Walls

14 Go Slowly

15 Myxomatosis

16 Bangers 'N Mash

17 How To Disappear Completely

Encore 1

18 Fake Plastic Trees

19 Arpeggi

20 Black Star

21 True Love Waits

22 Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 2

23 Bodysnatchers

24 The Tourist

Thanks for the review Slaine, I have friends who went who absolutely loved the show.

And those Radiohead setlists, to die for stuff.

Disco

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 14 2006, 03:56 PM)
Only took 1 pic because my phone is starting to get filled up with pictures, but last night at the Arctic Monkeys @ The Great American Music Hall was great. This place is small, only holding 600 people, so it was like seeing this really huge band in The opening band, The Spinto Band was kinda on the mellower side, but all the guys in that band were really getting into the music so it made it very enjoyable. Once Arctic Monkeys got on though, everyone started pushing up to the front. The crowd was very into the music, pushing and shoving to get to the front the entire time. Though it didnt quite live up to the hype in my opinion (which has been set so high that I dont think any band could do that), it was still an incredible show. A friend of mine got a drumstick, another got a setlist, I got a limited edition lithograph they made for the show (#43 of 100).

Heres my one picture when the singer came over to where I was standing and sung in the mic with the bass player
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo82.jpg

Can you believe that people were lined up at 11am outside to see this show, and that people were trying to buy scalped tickets for over $100?? It was a $15 ticket.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 26 2006, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 14 2006, 03:56 PM)
Only took 1 pic because my phone is starting to get filled up with pictures, but last night at the Arctic Monkeys @ The Great American Music Hall was great.  This place is small, only holding 600 people, so it was like seeing this really huge band in The opening band, The Spinto Band was kinda on the mellower side, but all the guys in that band were really getting into the music so it made it very enjoyable.  Once Arctic Monkeys got on though, everyone started pushing up to the front.  The crowd was very into the music, pushing and shoving to get to the front the entire time.  Though it didnt quite live up to the hype in my opinion (which has been set so high that I dont think any band could do that), it was still an incredible show.  A friend of mine got a drumstick, another got a setlist, I got a limited edition lithograph they made for the show (#43 of 100).

Heres my one picture when the singer came over to where I was standing and sung in the mic with the bass player
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo82.jpg

Can you believe that people were lined up at 11am outside to see this show, and that people were trying to buy scalped tickets for over $100??  It was a $15 ticket.

cool.gif

Kinda funny now, that bass player is no longer with them anymore.

Saw Roger Waters last Thursday night, it was remarkable. Nick Mason came on for the 2nd half and for all of DSOTM. Stunning show, 2 1/2 hours, venue packed.

Saw Robert Plant last night, same venue (Marquee, Cork), again astonishing show, Strange Sensation are a fantastic backing band. Roy Harper was at the side of the stage taking photographs!! Looking as mad as a leg of salmon.

Hard to say who was better.

Roger's show was very emotional, as you'd expect, particularly Southampton Dock and Fletcher Memorial Home.

Robert's was very spiritual, he was very shaman-like last night.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 6 2006, 11:20 PM)
Saw Roger Waters last Thursday night, it was remarkable. Nick Mason came on for the 2nd half and for all of DSOTM. Stunning show, 2 1/2 hours, venue packed.

Saw Robert Plant last night, same venue (Marquee, Cork), again astonishing show, Strange Sensation are a fantastic backing band. Roy Harper was at the side of the stage taking photographs!! Looking as mad as a leg of salmon.

Hard to say who was better.

Roger's show was very emotional, as you'd expect, particularly Southampton Dock and Fletcher Memorial Home.
Robert's was very spiritual, he was very shaman-like last night.

cool10.gif

Nice one (or two, I should say tongue.gif )

Just back from Oxegen.

No pics yet, but here's some ramblings on the music we saw.

Started off with Emm Gryner. We were heading for the Spinto Band, ducked in to see Emm for a minute, and her set was so captivating we stayed. Then out for a shimmy in the rain to Republic of Loose, an Irish soul/gospel/funk collective.

Then over to see Dave Couse and his band, including a fair few old 'A House' songs, including an updated Endless Art commemorating a host of deceased luminaries from Hunter S.Thompson and Chris Penn to Rory Gallagher, Nina Simone and The Ramones.

Next up was Regina Spektor. My first experience of her, and what can I say?. A whimsical amalgam of Bjork, Tori Amos and PJ Harvey is about the closest I can come to describing her. Superb.

A quick blast of The Magic Numbers in the rain followed by a detour to the Green Room tent for Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Country never sounded (or looked) so good. Hard to believe we saw her fronting Rilo Kiley last year Half way through the set, rain started cascading through two holes in the tent. Not many performers get to play in tents with built in waterfalls!!.

Gomez were Gomez, a nice mixture of new stuff from 'How We Operate' mixed in with the classics (No 'Here Comes The Breeze' though which was a shame). Caught about 15 minutes of the Arctic Monkeys outside at the Main Stage, where high winds joined the rain to severely compromise the sound. he crowds didn't seem to give a shot though.

Back in the tent, The Futureheads followed with a blistering set. Tighter than a three sizes too small pair of shoes, they concentrated on the new album, but suffered from iffy sound quality where we were standing, meaning new ones like 'Area' and 'Cope' didn't come across as well as they should have. Hounds of Love and Carnival Kids more than compensated though.

We went down to The Strokes, where I left Brendan after a bit so I could take in The Automatic. Monster is this year's indie summer hit, and brought the small New Bands tent down, but the rest of the set suggests this is no flash in the pan. Back outside, the rain is subsiding, and reunited with Brendan, we catch a little bit of The Go Team before taking our places for the main event of the evening, and finally answer the question...........Can Pete and Roger still cut it?.

Yes is the short answer.

A brilliant set from The Who with Roger swinging mics and Pete flailing for all he was worth, the set started with I Can't Explain, then second song in came the riff I've heard Alex play much more then Pete recently..The Seeker!!. Great version. The set finished with an extended My Generation (oh, the irony, but they pulled it off) followed by Won't Get Fooled Again. The encore was Substitute followed by a Tommy medley. Absolutely brilliant show, and any TRFers with lingering doubts, all I am saying, is give Pete a chance!!!!!!!.

It's now past midnight, so time for a quick run around the stages to catch a bit of Kasabian (last minute additions - brilliant version of Cutt Off and some really tasty new songs from forthcoming album 'Empire'). This is followed by the end of Richard Ashcroft and a bit of James Brown on the main stage before the 1.5 hour drive back to Bren's place and a lovely warm and comfy bed. The drive's a pain but Thank Christ we weren't camping. I'm too old for that shit anyway.

Sunday started with a vast improvement in the weather and a stunning set from Wolfmother. After a quick blast from Mumm-Ra in the New Band tent, Maximo Park were next and they were superb. Apply Some Pressure had the Main Stage crowd bouncing. Then, with thanks to Moonraker and Feelwithyourskin for the recommendation (and I always listen to what these august individuals tell me), it was back to the New Band Tent for Cut Copy.

Brilliant. Absolutely f***ing brilliant. The bastard love children of The Human League, Orbital and New Order, they were defintitely the discovery of the weekend for me.

Back to the Main Stage for Manu Chao. A scaled down show with only six musicians on stage with him, La Primevera, Machine Gun and Peligro suffered a bit from the iffy sound but it was a stormer nonetheless. After the obligatory feed of Japanese noodles, we hightailed it over to The Divine Comedy followed by The Zutons, both of whom played storming sets.

A quick taste of Corrine Bailey Rae was followed by The Kaiser Chiefs on the main stage. A blistering set with a smattering of new songs that suggest the next release will avoid any symptoms of second album syndrome. Only problem was some of the more drunken twats in the crowd (30,000ish) became a little too exhuberent, and I Predict A Riot threatened to become a self fulfilling prophecy, with shite being thrown by idiots suffering from a serious dose of missing the f***ing point.

Then Goldfrapp, complete with some of the sexiest dancers this side of the Moulin Rouge, although their set was severely truncated because Alison had a severe throat infection.

Back to the Green Room tent, where Rodrigo Y Gabriela played an incendiary gig that had a Rio like crowd reaction. It was a seriously difficult choice as to whether go to this or Sigur Ros, but I think we made the right choice. It appears to have been recorded for a DVD release. Who knows, I might get my ugly mug on TV yet. If you've never heard of them check out their web site Here . BTW, the video on the front page was shot in the same tent at Oxegen last year!!!!.

Then out for a half hour of the Chillis (looked and sounded good, By The Way and Californication were the best of what I saw) before the long drive home.

Great weekend!!!!.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 10 2006, 08:23 PM)
Then, with thanks to Moonraker and Feelwithyourskin for the recommendation (and I always listen to what these august individuals tell me), it was back to the New Band Tent for Cut Copy.

Brilliant. Absolutely f***ing brilliant. The bastard love children of The Human League, Orbital and New Order, they were defintitely the discovery of the weekend for me.

glad you enjoyed them smile.gif now go out and buy bright like neon love, you won't be disappointed. i opened my last show with saturdays, and closed with saturdays (reprise) and it went over well

the weekend sounds amazing, and this jerseyan is very jealous (though happy for you)

Incredible review Madra, very glad you enjoyed Cut Copy, their cd was stuck in regular rotation for me for months. I still have yet to see them though. Cant wait to hear the new Kasabian too.

Last friday, 07/08 I was suprised with a ticket to see NIN on the last stop of thier With Teeth tour, my 7th NIN show since early last year. I hadnt planned on going to this show at all, as it was a seated venue and every show I have seen them at so far has been in a pit. But when you are offered the ability to see the show from the 15th row for free, thats kinda hard to pass up.

I arrived too late to catch Peaches and Bauhaus unfortunatly. Peaches I have heard mixed reviews for and didnt mind missing, but I would have liked to heard Bauhaus again. NIN were definatly on top of thier game again for the last night, Trent threw a guitar and tamborine into the crowd for some lucky people. Towards the end during their cover of Dead Souls, Peter Murphey actually came out to take vocal command of the stage, and then once again for a Peter Ubu cover of Final Solution with NIN as backup. Trent was very vocal as well, thanking the fan, crew and backing band, which he credited to being the best backing band in NIN's history. I must say it was pretty amazing, and was very grateful to be able to catch this show as I had never even planned on attending.

This week has been crazy for concerts. Saw Bloc Party/ Broken Social Scene/ Two Gallants/ Mew last Friday, Loop!Station again last Saturday, The Editors last night. And plan on seeing Dirty Pretty Things twice tomorrow, The Subways on Thursday, Death Cab For Cutie/Spoon/Mates Of State on Friday and possibly again on Saturday for thier second night.

The Editors last night were amazing though, playing at the Fillmore. A bunch of the friends I went with ended up getting access to some afterparty upstairs after the show had finished, 2 had won from a radio station contest and another 2 got them simply by asking Tom (singer/guitarist) when he was walking around outside the venue before the show. Ha, had I not had to walk a friend to the BART station to make sure she got home safely, I would have been at that afterparty with them. Oh well, I got my ticket stub signed so it was ok, I dont need to be a groupie.

Apparently the friend I went to the Death Cab For Cutie/Spoon/Mates of State show the last 2 days had the weekend of her life after meeting Britt Daniel (singer from Spoon) finally and getting pictures with him. Spoon even opened up the first night with a song she requested when she first met them. Mates of State are pretty much stuck in my head now after thier show, they did an interesting cover of the Gnarls Barkely song, Crazy as an interlude to thier song Like U Crazy. I think I am finished for a while listening to Death Cab though, but the other 2 bands I am definatly more into after those shows.

This week was insane though, in the last 9 days I saw 7 shows. I NEED SLEEP!!

Yesterday, I caught the 2nd day of a 2 day summer event out here (Osaka, Japan). There were tons of musical acts playing on several stages. And each offered something different. Rock, metal, hip-hop, etc. I'm not really into hip hop at all but I did catch one act that was decent...their music wasn't to my liking but they did give a good performance and weren't too cheesy. The other acts were also okay.

Anyways, what I really came for was Metallica. I had never seen them before and love their stuff before the Black album. But even the Black album is good compared to Re-load (but that's another story). They opened up with Creeping Death, played ALL of MASTER OF PUPPETS (in honor of it being the 20year anniversary), gave a sneak preview to a new untitled song yet to be released on next years album (it rocks !! 1022.gif ), had 2 encores, and ended with Seek & Destroy. They sounded tight and the energy from the show was excellent. I'd love to see them again. Good stuff.

Just saw Gary Numan last night, incredible show. I dunno what it is about Numan, but people either have no clue who he is or are insane rabid fans. The crowd last night were one of the most enthusiastic shows I have been to this year, screaming and yelling at his every move. Most of the show consisted of him playing material from his last 2 albums (Jagged in 2006, and Pure in 2000), all of which has an extremely Nine Inch Nails influenced style of industrial to the material.

All of his show had this heavy industrial feel, as opposed to the light, simplistic style that made him famous with his song Cars back in 79. He did do a few older songs though, all with a completely reworked style to suit the rest of the show. Great energy out of Numan too, as he was constantly bouncing around the stage and giving evil demonic eyes to the crowd. He has kept himself in extremely good shape for someone who has been around playing live gigs since the late 70's. I even was able to get a setlist by the end, very cool show.

Setlist:

Pressure

Rip

Metal

Halo

Films

Slave

Down In The Park

Jagged

Are Friends Electric?

In A Dark Place

Pure

Haunted

A Prayer For The Unborn

---

Cars

Dark

Blind

Saw The Killers last night at Popscene, I think they overpacked the club to about 300 people because no one could move around at all. Leave it to me to make the foolish mistake of showing up 45 minutes after the doors opened, to see a huge line of people around the corner, all of whom already had tickets. Then again though, I wasnt about to skp 3rd day back in school just to stand in line and make sure I was in the very front. Apparently the club was sooo rabid against scalping that they had to name check everyone's ticket number with the name that purchased the ticket, to ensure the people that bought in for the show were the ones getting in. So when I got in, I wasnt able to stand with my group, who were all permanently fixed in the very front of the show (two of them showed up at 9:30 AM, the doors didnt open until 10PM).

Anyway the show was great though from the very back where I saw it, lol. Popscene is such an amazing and intimate venue that even if you are in the back, you arent any more then 30 feet from the stage. The set consisted of mostly new material, and of that a few sounded like they could be strong hits as a lot of thier first album had been. Maybe 5 songs or so of older material and about 8-10 new songs. A few I liked, a few I didnt, but that was the same with thier debut album for me, so maybe the masses will eat this new one up just the same. At least the guitar player managed to stay visibly sober for this show, not like the last show they did in the bay area where he fell over on 2 occasions, lying flat on his back, while a roadie had to come up to lift him to his feet. He did manage to keep playing throughout his falls though, so at least the show went on.

Normally The Killers wouldnt play a show like this anymore, as they have t gotten themselves all big and huge. But they have just released a new album and are preparing a US club tour this fall, so I think they did this show sorta as a warmup to prepare for that. That and it was Popscene's 10th anniversary (touted as San Francisco's Premier Indie Nightclub) and they wanted to get a rediculously special band to play thier birthday. Yeah, I think they got a decent act for that. Good show, but I am suprised I am still alive to type all this right now as I had 14 hours of school, in addition to 4 hours of strenuous dance classes, followed directly by The Killers show.

I went to see 'Horslypse' in Omagh last night. They're a Horslips tribute band with an average age of 17, all of whom got into the band through their parents' record collections.

What made last night's gig special was the fact that three members of the original band joined them on stage for a few songs.

First of all, Barry Devlin came out to sing Guests of the Nation and Furniture, then Jim Lockhart and Johnny fean came out for the big finish - Trouble with a Capital T, Sword of Light, King of the Fairies and Dearg Doom, and an encore of Shakin' All Over.

BBC preview of the gig Here

Got to see Eric Johnson this evening at the Orange Peel here in Asheville. This was the 4th time I have seen EJ dating back to 1990. As usual nothing short of amazing IMO. Well rounded setlist with all 4 of his studio discs well represented. He also played 4 new songs( Boston, Brillant Rim?, Morning Sun, and ?), which I thought was odd knowing how long between new discs he is.

He did an unknown to me, killer little country/western picking number ( think roy clark with attitude) right after a ferociously ripping rendition of Hendrix's Angel.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 30 2006, 11:11 PM)
Got to see Eric Johnson this evening at the Orange Peel here in Asheville. This was the 4th time I have seen EJ dating back to 1990. As usual nothing short of amazing IMO. Well rounded setlist with all 4 of his studio discs well represented. He also played 4 new songs( Boston, Brillant Rim?, Morning Sun, and ?), which I thought was odd knowing how long between new discs he is.

He did an unknown to me, killer little country/western picking number ( think roy clark with attitude) right after a ferociously ripping rendition of Hendrix's Angel.

So nothing from Alien Love Child - Live and beyond or Souvenir? He does a great version of Paperback Writer on Souvenir...

Glad you enjoyed the gig mate, I've been a fan for 20 years but never seen him live as he never tours over here, not even backing up Satriani...

trink38.gif

Shit, i hate to admit this but I did not know that Souvenir or Seven Worlds even existed. The good news is now I can go and buy them! I really need to check out the Electromagnets and Alien Love Child discs too.

a partial setlist....

Bloom

summer jam

cliffs of dover

Columbia

My back pages

trademark

SRV

bristol shore

Zap

Edited by tangdog