Concert Reviews

Disco

I saw Blue Oyster Cult tonight. They were incredible! Richie Castellano and Danny Miranda especially were both very energetic. You could tell they (as well as Buck and Eric) were having a great time. This was my fourth time seeing them. They played four songs that I'd never seen them play before, one of which was Dancin' In The Ruins.
  • Like 4

Posted this in the DT thread too.

Okay, so glad I listened to Count Of Tuscany right before the show. It made an incredible encore! Also very glad I got through Train Of Thought and Systematic Chaos yesterday in preparation. Not only do I now love those albums, but Ministry Of Lost Souls and Endless Sacrifice turned out to be among my favorite songs from either record on first listen, as if purely by chance, and of course those are the two they played! Endless Sacrifice in particular was just.... astonishing. Absolutely one of my favorite moments of the night, and I only first heard that song yesterday! Oddly enough, About To Crash wasn't really a major highly for me, even though I love 6 Degrees to death. I think it's just because the tracks from the 6 Degrees suite all just work better in their correct context. Maybe that's the next full album retrospective tour they should do! Also, my seat was like, right at the very edge of the orchestra, four rows in, so I had a spectacular view of JP (when the couple of guys in front of me weren't standing up with little regard for the many seated people behind them), but it was a very muddy place to sit sonically. Some songs were clearer than others, but overall I got a lot of low drums and bass and not enough midrange guitar/keys/vocals. Still absolutely spectacular show though. James was killer all night! True, very little of the setlist was demanding by his standards, but he played it really smart and even surprised me with a long rising high note hear and there, always knowing what to emphasize. Very smart vocalist. The two songs I knew the best going in were both highlights for me. 6:00 was an energetic blast, and Bridges In The Sky might have been the peak of the whole concert. That chorus is just too epic for its own good. That leaves all of the new album material. Would I have preferred some of the new album tracks to be swapped out for others? Sure, in theory. I definitely have more love for Sleeping Giant than Awaken The Master, and I find Answering The Call a much cooler song than Invisible Monster. Also Transcending Time is just so good, I'd have replaced almost any other new song with it. But! In practice, everything they played was killer, and there's not really all that much separating the best from the worst on the new album. Invisible Monster was actually a bit of a sing along, which was really great in unifying the audience! Awaken The Master has that way evil wah wah riff and it killed live, The Alien made an excellent opener and segued into 6:00 extremely well, and of course the title track has grown on me quite a bit since I first heard it. It's a very smooth composition, and the really wicked cool changes can kind of pass you by if you're not paying attention, but of course I was paying very close attention, and it was excellent, especially the more atmospheric parts. Good way to close the main set while still leaving room for Count Of Tuscany to finish the job in the encore. And... that's it? The opening band, Archecho, was absurdly talented. Compositions were maybe a bit too freeform for my taste, but a couple of the guys in that band could definitely keep up with the guys in DT on a technical level. Looking forward to the next time DT comes back around already! (and maybe next time they'll pick more songs I already know! :P)

Saw Styx at the Beacon on Wednesday night, they FINALLY did the full Mission album that had been post-poned twice since March 2020.

Their beloved (21 years of service) drum tech Paulie died from pneumonia caused by Covid on Wednesday morning. We all saw the news as we were all headed to the show. I had met him a few years back at Westbury. Super nice guy, but then again, all the crew is really nice and very down to Earth.

They put on a great show as always, but having seen them so many times and mostly always quite close up, the grief was evident. Given the circumstances though, they still managed to rise above and there were many great moments, as there always are with them. The did the full Mission album, one of my favorites, and even though they hadn't played it from start to end in over 2 years, it was as good as the first two times I saw it back in 2019. Todd was a beast during Red Storm as always.

JY has started wearing a hat and it suits him, lol. Will Evankovich adds SO much energy and enthusiasm to the band, his interactions with them all are so much fun.

Chuckie was there, unfortunately looking older and more frail, but I guess that's not a surprise, he's not been in good health for years.

All things considered, it was fantastic, I love this album and this band and wish I could see it again, but don't know that they'll perform it again. They also did a few from Crash of the Crown and some other regular old stand-bys (Renegade, Paradise, Roboto) in the second half.

I was lucky enough to be elbows on the stage in front of Tommy. Always a treat!

• Like 7

I saw Jerry Cantrell in Toronto last night. He played at a somewhat new venue called History, which is great. The setlist was a mix of Alice in Chains material with songs from his three solo albums. Really cool set, and it was great to see such a young crowd interested in a type of sound that came up more than ten years before they were even born.
  • Like 5

We just got home last night from the Europe, Foreigner, Whitesnake triple threat in Glasgow on Thursday night.

Firstly i must comment on how great the sound was for all three bands.

The audio was clear and well balanced. I have seen all three bands before but probably not sounding as good as this.

4E6X6w.jpg

Firstly Europe. A slightly shorter set than Foreigner and Whitesnake (around 50 mins) but packed with goodies like Rock The Night and Cherokee.

A real lively performance with Joey Tempest in great voice. As good as I have seen them. Unsuprisingly the crowd went wild for the encore of The Final Countdown.

0mRh3L.jpg

It amazes me how many hits Foreigner have had! Every song in the set was instantly recognisable.

Kelly Hansen has proven to be a tremendous front man for the band.

Mick Jones only came on for the last couple of songs. He is starting to look worryingly frail.

ay4HXm.jpg

Finally Whitesnake. Hmmmm .... mixed views here. Without doubt Coverdale has built a superb ensemble of musicians

behind him. Every one of them was great, but a big call out to Tommy Aldridge ...... what a drummer!!

The real issue I have is with Coverdale himself ..... his voice is just shot. The whole of the rest of the band (except Tommy) did backing

vocals, and pretty much carried the main man.

David, you really do need to call it a day after this tour...... go with a bit of dignity for frick sake!

However it was a great set of songs, expertly played.

All in all a fine night of hard rock .

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 5

I saw Paul McCartney last night in Syracuse. It was an incredible show. The performance was top notch. Paul and his band are great. He also had a three-piece horn section, which was a nice touch. I thought it was really cool that he had live horns. The setlist was pretty good overall. He played quite a few songs that I'd never seen him play before. My only complaints would be that he didn't do Yesterday, and while he played Mrs. Vandebilt during the VIP soundcheck (which I didn't attend), he did not play it at the show.

Here's the setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2022/jma-wireless-dome-syracuse-ny-73b4f615.html

• Like 3

On 6/5/2022 at 10:06 PM, Super25Smasher said:

I saw Paul McCartney last night in Syracuse. It was an incredible show. The performance was top notch. Paul and his band are great. He also had a three-piece horn section, which was a nice touch. I thought it was really cool that he had live horns. The setlist was pretty good overall. He played quite a few songs that I'd never seen him play before. My only complaints would be that he didn't do Yesterday, and while he played Mrs. Vandebilt during the VIP soundcheck (which I didn't attend), he did not play it at the show.

Here's the setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2022/jma-wireless-dome-syracuse-ny-73b4f615.html

Where were your seats? Was it a straight-forward setup, I mean, just the main stage and nothing else? Getting tickets for here next week and trying to figure out what's best.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Laurabw said:

Where were your seats? Was it a straight-forward setup, I mean, just the main stage and nothing else? Getting tickets for here next week and trying to figure out what's best.

It was just one stage. My seat was pretty high up, but I was still able to see well enough

• Like 1

So, yeah. Presently in parking lot waiting to leave from the Paul McCartney concert tonight. not only did Bruce Springsteen show up but Jon Bon Jovi did as well and Paul himself was pretty darned good.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Laurabw said:

So, yeah. Presently in parking lot waiting to leave from the Paul McCartney concert tonight. not only did Bruce Springsteen show up but Jon Bon Jovi did as well and Paul himself was pretty darned good.

I saw that! That's awesome that they showed up to wish Paul happy b day!

• Like 2

So Paul was great, he did a lot of Wings songs. Apparently it's a similar setlist, but having not seen him in 30 or so years, it was new to me. He seems to be in good shape, he moves well for a now 80 yr old. He struggled on a few songs, which is natural too. He's still a great showman though! Singing Hey Jude with 60K people was awesome. It started raining towards the end. But only for Live and Let Die and Hey Jude. 

Then Bruce came out and they did Glory Days and Bruce sang I wanna be your man. He sounds great and is clearly ready to tour.

Then Bon Jovi came out in the encore to wish him happy bday. And both came out to sing the last song, the medley and The End.

Paul said "what else is there to say but see you next time!"

I hope so!

• Like 5

We went to Anfield Stadium last night to see The Eagles. The band were impeccable sounding as always and put on a crowd

pleasing set of great hit songs. Vince Gill slots so well into the band - a proper Eagle now in my books.

Support band were Little Big Town who presented a pleasant set of country based sounds.

Not sure how many years The Eagles have left in touring but it was great to see them again.

tAFLZp.jpg

FOXcRe.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, zepphead said:

We went to Anfield Stadium last night to see The Eagles. The band were impeccable sounding as always and put on a crowd

pleasing set of great hit songs. Vince Gill slots so well into the band - a proper Eagle now in my books.

Support band were Little Big Town who presented a pleasant set of country based sounds.

Not sure how many years The Eagles have left in touring but it was great to see them again.

tAFLZp.jpg

FOXcRe.jpg

Are you back for good?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zepphead said:

tAFLZp.jpg

FOXcRe.jpg

Did you buy a half Eagles, half Liverpool scarf? :laugh:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Did you buy a half Eagles, half Liverpool scarf? :laugh:

You mean kind of a Liver Eagle?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Wasn`t that a bad sitcom that treeduck probably loves? 

Ah! .... I remember it .... Nerys Hughes looking rather fetching in a very short mini skirt!

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, zepphead said:

We just got home last night from the Europe, Foreigner, Whitesnake triple threat in Glasgow on Thursday night.

Firstly i must comment on how great the sound was for all three bands.

The audio was clear and well balanced. I have seen all three bands before but probably not sounding as good as this.

4E6X6w.jpg

Firstly Europe. A slightly shorter set than Foreigner and Whitesnake (around 50 mins) but packed with goodies like Rock The Night and Cherokee.

A real lively performance with Joey Tempest in great voice. As good as I have seen them. Unsuprisingly the crowd went wild for the encore of The Final Countdown.

0mRh3L.jpg

It amazes me how many hits Foreigner have had! Every song in the set was instantly recognisable.

Kelly Hansen has proven to be a tremendous front man for the band.

Mick Jones only came on for the last couple of songs. He is starting to look worryingly frail.

ay4HXm.jpg

Finally Whitesnake. Hmmmm .... mixed views here. Without doubt Coverdale has built a superb ensemble of musicians

behind him. Every one of them was great, but a big call out to Tommy Aldridge ...... what a drummer!!

The real issue I have is with Coverdale himself ..... his voice is just shot. The whole of the rest of the band (except Tommy) did backing

vocals, and pretty much carried the main man.

David, you really do need to call it a day after this tour...... go with a bit of dignity for frick sake!

However it was a great set of songs, expertly played.

All in all a fine night of hard rock .

Thanks for these informative reviews

👍😎

It’s a shame that’s DC’s voice is now completely shot .. we have to remember he’s only human and is now 70 years old.

To be honest , he’s voice was already on the decline when I saw Whitesnake live way back in ‘96, so that’s why I resisted the temptation to get a ticket for this show. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

👍😎

It’s a shame that’s DC’s voice is now completely shot .. we have to remember he’s only human and is now 70 years old.

To be honest , he’s voice was already on the decline when I saw Whitesnake live way back in ‘96, so that’s why I resisted the temptation to get a ticket for this show. 

Yeah ... but the band he had around him were fantastic. So in a lot of ways it was still an enjoyable set.

• Like 1

YYNOT was a blast Saturday despite the craziness and problems.

Started with seating.  I arrived early as I wanted a beer and dinner beforehand. They scan my e-ticket at seat me at the bar forward of stage left.  After downing a fried shrimp po' boy and getting into my second beer,  I'm asked to have my ticket rescanned, after which they ask for my name.  On checking its "oh crap, we put you in the wrong area, you're supposed to be stage right bar" (seating only).  They advise the bartender to transfer ny tab to one of the waitresses, and I'm moved, with apologies.  No biggie, Billy is just of to my right.

The Funky Biscuit is a wide arcing room, much shorter from front to back, with little or no echo.  Stage is sparse, and  due to "problems" Billy only has Les Paul, a Strat, and an Epiphone acoustic mounted on a guitar stand.  Tim has 1 Jazz Bass, a small keyboard and a Roland PK-5 midi pedal bass. Aside from a single amp, Tim's other sound reinforcement equipment is mounted in what appears to be a Leslie speaker cabinet.

10 minutes after I'm reseated YYNOT hits the stage.  After a short instrumental intro they  blast into "Bastille Day", and the rollercoaster ride is on.  Very loud throughout, although Patty could have used more volume on her mic just counter the instruments.  During song breaks Billy has adjusments to electronics he is wearing, problems with his in-ear monitor system.  But the band plays on, two solid sets including "Body Electric" Digital Man", "Free Will", and some original instrumental pieces.

During a number of songs  I am not only hearing these roaring bass notes, but actually feeling them vibrating in my head and up and down my spine.  They're coming from Tim's pedal bass unit, amazing tones!

During the 2nd set Patty comments on the current state of affairs and requests we all sing along as the band plays "Closer To The Heart", and we all join in.  The show closes with "The Spirit of Radio" and a mash-up of "By-Tor And The Snow Dog", and "2112-The Grand Finale".

Afterwards the band conducted a meet and greet outside the venue, with apparel being sold.  Patty had announced a problem prevented CD's from arriving and advised any online orders with a code word would be shipped for free.  I query Tim about the vibratory tones from the pedal bass.  He breaks into a huge smile and says "That was Jeff, my tech.  He tuned that thing perfect tonight!". We shake hands, and I head off into the night, and home.

All in all a good night-LOUD, but good.  I would love to see YYNOT playing a proper auditorium or hall to get a better picture of their performance.  The Funky Biscuit didn't seem to do them justice.  Perhaps others can comment further.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 4

After two cancellations due to Covid,  Santana and Earth Wind & Fire are on their tour and I got to see them finally together in Salt Lake City.  Usana Amphitheater is where I saw two of my Rush concerts and it can be very warm.  We had temperatures forecasted to top triple digits so I was concerned how uncomfortable it was going to be. 

We caught a break when the day started out overcast and in the 80's, we got there early (place is a nightmare to get to, have missed opening acts because of the traffic) and as soon as we got in line, wind and rain.  It quickly stopped and the breeze felt wonderful. It stayed cloudy and breezy.

First up Earth Wind & Fire and they were fantastic.  I had never seen them live before and it was note perfect to their recordings.  Even with the passing of Maurice White, his replacement was top notch and hearing Philip Bailey was so good.  They have so many good songs, they could have played a whole concert set themselves.  I also learned that EWF had played as an opening act for Santana in their early days.  Santana has wanted to team up with them again and now they got to do it.

Santana started off with Soul Sacrifice and it just kept getting better.  His music is one of those that make me smile and want to dance.  It was great seeing so many different age groups there just dancing and grooving out.

After about 3 songs, Santana addresses the crowd.  While he talks the sky has become darker and lightning is flashing to the southeast of the arena.  He keeps talking about how healing and joy is what he wants to give the world with his music.  Last time I saw him he urged the crowd to come down to the front and just dance, shake off all your troubles.  Last night, he said we need to protect ourselves from all the fear that is being broadcast nowadays.  The crowd laughed so loud when he said thank Tesla for the remote control so I can just turn that shit off. (Obviously Tesla didn't invent the remote but you get the reference).

He goes back into playing and has some new songs he recorded over the pandemic with other artists.  He played one he collaborated with Chris Stapleton called Joy, was so lovely.  Didn't get to buy the album at the concert but going to since it has the last song Chick Corea recorded before he passed away on it.

After all those beautiful vibes, the storm just blew past us and we got a lovely evening to finish out the concert.  It was a lovely gift and I am still feeling so happy today.  Music is truly healing.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

👍😎

Whitesnake cancelled the rest of their European tour last week.  Coverdale has sinus and trachea infections. The guitarist Reb Beach and drummer Tommy Aldridge were also under the weather.  They have an American tour scheduled to start at the end of next month.  It's still on as far as I know.  Their keyboardist Dino Jelusick is getting really bored during their downtime.  He was jamming with Steel Panther a few days ago.  It must be really frustrating for their crew.  I don't know how the band and crew get paid.  Some of them probably got laid off or furloughed. 

Edited by Krystal