Concert Reviews

Disco

One of the more unexpected ones coming from a Rush fan...

I went with a few of my friends to see Kanye West last night at the Memorial Coliseum. I had never been to a rap/hip-hop concert before. I was surprised...he actually put on a really good show.

Maybe later I'll write up a full review of it.

I saw Robert Plant last night in the Olympia Theatre, Dublin. He was absolutely fantastic!

I've seen him twice with Jimmy, but last night topped the lot.

He played about 1/2 of Mighty Rearranger, 4 songs from Vol4, 2 from Vol2 and 1 from Vol3, a cover of 7 and 7 is and Hey Joe.

When the Levee Breaks was out of this world, and he closed with a killer version of Whole lotta Love.

The other highlight of the night was seeing all the R30 tour shirts dotted around the theatre. It was good to talk to some like-minded individuals, including one guy who was at the Frankfurt show.

I told him about the R30 Europe Viewing party, I hope he joined in.

A great night.

Probably not in line with most people's taste here but I just got back from the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam in Asheville, NC and it was absolutely fantastic!! Plus it is all for a good cause. All the profits go to Asheville's Habitat for Humanity. Lots aof great artists/bands playing and guesting with each other. The Jam started at 7:00 and went till going on 4AM. Gov't Mule was the final band and they played some great covers like Living Loving Maid, Lively Up yourself, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Tomorrow Never Knows and a really great Hunger Strike>Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hunger Strike! Before Mule Warren announced some new guys on the scene called Serial Pod and it turned out to be Trey Anastasio and Mike Gordon from Phish along with Bill Kreutzmann from the Grateful Dead. They were also great playing some Dead and Phish tunes along with Nirvana's On A Plain, Hendrix's Angel and Van Morrisson's Sweet Thing. Lot's of other great artists throughout the night including Hot Tuna (electric), John Scofield with John Medeski and Stanton Moore, Marty Stuart, Dave Schools from Widespread Panic, Drive By Truckers, Bluegrass great Ralph Stanley and more.

What a great, very long night of music for only $41! cool.gif

My first live gig ever was Pink Floyd at London Arena, in 1989, simply jaw-droppingly good!

Only matched by Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour I caught in 1992.

I saw Foo Fighters recently (for the 6th time), their current show is amazing (lasers and everything!).

They even teased a cover of YYZ. How's that?! biggrin.gif

Here's the pics I took with my phone.

Edited by Melll

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 5 2006, 02:08 AM)
My first live gig ever was Pink Floyd at London Arena, in 1989, simply jaw-droppingly good!

Only matched by Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour I caught in 1992.

I saw Foo Fighters recently (for the 6th time), their current show is amazing (lasers and everything!).

They even teased a cover of YYZ. How's that?! biggrin.gif

Here's the pics I took with my phone.

Sweet!!! I seen the Foo Fighters about 6 times myself. They never had lazers when I saw them though. It sucks I missed them this tour, that looks cool!!

Nice Pics!!

Not enough bands use lasers, in my opinion. I've seen the Foos two times on this tour (headlining Leeds Fest, and on their arena tour). The show is amazing.

This is my fave pic of the FF laser show, taken at Sydney:

http://www.foofighters.com/blackbox/pictures/2005_12_01_sydney/images/DSC_0145.jpg

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 5 2006, 12:08 PM)

I agree - I was at that show.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!.

The bed crashing into the stage was one of the most amazing effects I've ever seen.

Just saw Thomas Dolby last night, the first time he has been on stage in 14 years, and his first solo concert in 25 years. Various analog and digital synthesizers were used, no organic instruments. I am not entirely familiar with his full body of work, but he played for about 40 minutes, all older songs. During She Blinded Me With Science, his 14 year old daughter came down, dressed in a mans suit and glasses (to look like he used to?) and helped put the music together. Very good show though, I feel kinda privledged to have seen the first show of this new wave pioneer in a quarter century.

Two shows stood out to me this past year -

Bauhaus

San diego -

Front row right in front of peter - Murphy is as close to god's voice as you can possibly get - Daniel Ash is such an underrated guitarist, he was both flawless and animated -

Crowd was insane - dude next to me got Ash's jacket all i got was a set list from peter -

Mars Volta

Hollywood -

It's amazing how much energy omar and cedric manifest on stage -

Saw the legendary Bob Mould last night in the Roisin Dubh, Galway.

Just him and a guitar.

Played a perfect mix of solo, Husker Du and Sugar.

Night was almost ruined by a drunken asshole(aren't they always?) trying to get bob's attention. Bob gave him his trademark 1000 yard stare a few times, until this prick tried to take down the mic stand.

Bob then said, "seeing as you've been the centre of attention all night, it's only right that you're the first person to leave tonight. What do you think"?

Crowd: Yeah!!!

Along come security, who were far too slow off the mark all night, and ejected aforementioned asshole, to the tune of "Cheerrio, cheerio, cheerio"!!

Bob then launched into Makes No Sense At All, and left us.

What a guy.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - An Grianan Theatre, Letterkenny 24/2/06

I've seen it with my own eyes, and I still find it hard to comprehend a drum solo can be played on two classical guitars.

R&G are a Mexican couple who came over to Europe to busk about seven years ago after playing in a trash metal band as teens in Mexico City. They ended up settling in Dublin for about two years, and are huge in Ireland right now. Today, their new album became the first ever totally instrumental album to top the Irish album charts.

Both are classical guitar virtuosos, playing their own style with Rodrigo concentrating on melody and Gabriela on what can only be called percussion/rhythm. The bulk of what they do is self composed, but snippets of Metallica, The White Stripes and others make their way into tunes, as well as a straight cover of Floyd's Wish You Were Here which the audience sang and a classical interpretation of Stairway To Heaven which makes Jimmy Page seem pedestrian.

There's a video clip from last year's Oxegen Festival on their website Here (I'm way over on the left somewhere in the heaving masses). If you go to the music page, there's a few free mp3s, including their amalgam of Metallica's One and Dave Brubeck's Take 5 from the Live in Manchester and Dublin album.

(One interesting thing, on that version, the crowd is muted during the Metallica bit and reacts to Take 5. Tonight, the crowd was mostly under 30, and went apeshit for the One segment).

If you get the chance to see this crew live, take it!!!!!.

http://www.rodgab.com/images/widepic_oxegen.jpg

Edited by madra sneachta

Only took 1 pic because my phone is starting to get filled up with pictures, but last night at the Arctic Monkeys @ The Great American Music Hall was great. This place is small, only holding 600 people, so it was like seeing this really huge band in The opening band, The Spinto Band was kinda on the mellower side, but all the guys in that band were really getting into the music so it made it very enjoyable. Once Arctic Monkeys got on though, everyone started pushing up to the front. The crowd was very into the music, pushing and shoving to get to the front the entire time. Though it didnt quite live up to the hype in my opinion (which has been set so high that I dont think any band could do that), it was still an incredible show. A friend of mine got a drumstick, another got a setlist, I got a limited edition lithograph they made for the show (#43 of 100).

Heres my one picture when the singer came over to where I was standing and sung in the mic with the bass player

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo82.jpg

Can you believe that people were lined up at 11am outside to see this show, and that people were trying to buy scalped tickets for over $100?? It was a $15 ticket.

• Like 1

Interesting that this thread is here. I recently went through a LOT of old photos, ticket stubs, etc. and finally started to scan and organize everything. You can see my list of shows (some with reviews and pictures) here:

http://www.solarfederation.net/images/concerts/concerts.htm

It's a pretty diverse list, so be warned! laugh.gif

well i finally saw dream theater last night and wow was it worth the wait. i sat sat 3rd row center stage and 2 rows in back of me was fellow trf er spike . of coarse i introduced myself as tick and being the bonehead i am , i cant remember her real name. unsure.gif anyways i asked if she knew what jawk jaw was and she said "how could anyone not." tongue.gif so the show opened with the root of all evil , from octavarium and then they played a song or two from each album spanning 20 years of music. the stand out moments for me were when they played "the glass prison"and the show stopper was "octavarium" which is a 25 minute song that left me speechless. (prolly cause i lost my voice from screaming.) now the shades of rush part. mike portnoy during the middle of his solo brought up a personal friend of his , the drummer from a band called "shadow falls" the two of them played duel solos for about 15 minutes playing signatures parts from bands like metallica (and and justice for all) portnoy being the clown he is started singing ,"darkness imprisioning me all that i see .... then came van halen (hot for teacher ) , led zepelin (i think the ocean)and others , (i know im forgetting stuff) while the band was out of site but joining in on each track as they played . then then started jaming some rush . first there started with cygnus x1 and went into yyz and finished with the signature part of tom sawyer. what made this so cool is the band was out of site jaming along with them and these two guys were smiling from ear to ear as they were playing. they reminded me of a couple guys jaming in there garage totally oblivious to the audience. the fun they were having made it fun to watch. the show ended with metropolis part 1 , from images and words . they played about three hours and it wasnt enough. well thats the scoop on the show , my first dream theater show !

p.s. all the haters , please dont bore me with all the blah.gif blah.gif blah.gif

Edited by tick

ill be in chat around 5 or 5:30 to talk about the show . (if your listening larks) great one it was.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 30 2006, 09:24 AM)
well i finally saw dream theater last night and wow was it worth the wait. i sat sat 3rd row center stage and 2 rows in back of me was fellow trf er spike . of coarse i introduced myself as tick and being the bonehead i am , i cant remember her real name. unsure.gif anyways i asked if she knew what jawk jaw was and she said "how could anyone not." tongue.gif so the show opened with the root of all evil , from octavarium and then they played a song or two from each album spanning 20 years of music. the stand out moments for me were when they played "the glass prison"and the show stopper was "octavarium" which is a 25 minute song that left me speechless. (prolly cause i lost my voice from screaming.) now the shades of rush part. mike portnoy during the middle of his solo brought up a personal friend of his , the drummer from a band called "shadow falls" the two of them played duel solos for about 15 minutes playing signatures parts from bands like metallica (and and justice for all) portnoy being the clown he is started singing ,"darkness imprisioning me all that i see .... then came van halen (hot for teacher ) , led zepelin (i think the ocean)and others , (i know im forgetting stuff) while the band was out of site but joining in on each track as they played . then then started jaming some rush . first there started with cygnus x1 and went into yyz and finished with the signature part of tom sawyer. what made this so cool is the band was out of site jaming along with them and these two guys were smiling from ear to ear as they were playing. they reminded me of a couple guys jaming in there garage totally oblivious to the audience. the fun they were having made it fun to watch. the show ended with metropolis part 1 , from images and words . they played about three hours and it wasnt enough. well thats the scoop on the show , my first dream theater show !
p.s. all the haters , please dont bore me with all the blah.gif blah.gif blah.gif

i forgot to add that spike made signs to hold up that said "jacobs ladder please." biggrin.gif

Saw Switchfoot tonight. Had 2nd row center. These guys were excellent! Great live sound, excellent song reproduction. They really were as good as our favorite band at reproducing their sound live. I was very impressed. The rockers, such as "Meant To Live" were powerful and in your face and the slower songs like "Daisy" were tastefully understated and very well done. As far as showmanship, Jon Foreman is a tremendous front man with a ton of charisma and a great voice.

Overall, a killer show. If you get a chance, go see Switchfoot.

The Machine

THey Played

Fearless

Mother

Fat Old Sun

Welcome to the MAchine

Terrapin

The Gnome

Seamus

Us and Them

Two suns in the Sunset

Shine On Pts 1-5

Astronomy Domine

Coming Back to Life

Breathe

Time

Pigs on the Wing Pt 1

Pigs (Three Different Ones)

THe Final Cut

Money

Wish You were here

Run Like Hell

Aslo, Norbert Satchel, Roger Waters' sax player was there fro a handful of songs.

Okay

It was the best concert ever