Concert Reviews

Disco

Jethro Tull - St Albans Abbey (UK)

Although billed as Jethro Tull, this was really Ian Anderson and his band with special guests playing a Christmas, charity concert.

This has to be one of the most unusual concerts I have been to. Part rock concert, part carol service, including fairly predictable items: Tulled up versions of Bach and Christmas carols, A Christmas Song, Jack in the Green and Aqualung. However it also included a youth choir, church organ, poetry, rock and roll vicar in band T-shirt and clerical collar and special guests Marc Almond and Loyd Grossman! By the time they got to the encore with both guests joining in a rendition of Locomotive Breath I was beginning to wonder if I had had one drink too many. A hugely enjoyable evening and respect to all involved for donating 100% of the takings to charity.

• Like 4

Tedeschi Trucks Band. Just left and hour ago. Performance was at Bell Auditorium in Augusta, GA. Must see band for anyone who loves music.

Blues, gospel, jazz, soul, and rock n roll all tied into one amazing performance. This band is a lot like Rush in four aspects:

The songs are epic.

The performers are all consummate professionals.

The sound was perfect.

The band is willing to try different stuff.

Derek trucks has to be the best slide guitarist alive. Just my biased opinion. Susan Tedeschi can flat out sing and even played the blues herself.

2 drummers who did 2 solos, one time where they both looked away from their kits for 10 minutes.

Sax, trumpet, and trombone player, plus three harmonizers, and a bass player. Also, a pianist, who played the organ and flute.

The warm up band played 45 minutes and then after a break Tedeschi Trucks played 2 1/2 hours.

Venue was small and I was able to snag a 4th row aisle seat on a whim. It just so happened that my company told me to come to Aiken to grab a load tomorrow, so I was able to take my personal vehicle.

The only disappointment was the lack of black people at the show. I don't understand how an area that is 50% black, such as where I live, doesn't have any black people at a blues concert. Weird.

• Like 2

Tedeschi Trucks Band. Just left and hour ago. Performance was at Bell Auditorium in Augusta, GA. Must see band for anyone who loves music.

Blues, gospel, jazz, soul, and rock n roll all tied into one amazing performance. This band is a lot like Rush in four aspects:

The songs are epic.

The sound was perfect.

Derek trucks has to be the best slide guitarist alive. Just my biased opinion. Susan Tedeschi can flat out sing and even played the blues herself.

2 drummers who did 2 solos, one time where they both looked away from their kits for 10 minutes.

Sax, trumpet, and trombone player, plus three harmonizers, and a bass player. Also, a pianist, who played the organ and flute.

The warm up band played 45 minutes and then after a break Tedeschi Trucks played 2 1/2 hours.

Venue was small and I was able to snag a 4th row aisle seat on a whim. It just so happened that my company told me to come to Aiken to grab a load tomorrow, so I was able to take my personal vehicle.

The only disappointment was the lack of black people at the show. I don't understand how an area that is 50% black, such as where I live, doesn't have any black people at a blues concert. Weird.

Killer version of Sugaree from them here...

• Like 1

The songs are epic.

The sound was perfect.

Killer version of Sugaree from them here...

Yeah, they played that one last night! Great value for the $ for that show. I love smaller venues. Better sound, less riff raff.

Steven Wilson – Hammersmith Apollo (London).

Awesome evening with SW and the band playing for 3 hours minus a 20 minute interval.

The first half comprised Hand.Cannot.Erase in its entirety with Ninet Tayeb present and performing vocals on Routine. I won’t give any spoilers but the second half consisted of a variety of music new and old from Wilson’s solo career and other collaborations.

The sound was generally good, and the band seemed totally at ease and completely in control. Steven seemed relaxed and was very chatty and funny; the atmosphere was quite intimate for such a large venue. Admittedly I’m a total fangirl, but this concert had me transfixed for the whole 3 hours.

• Like 2

tool and primus on monday. I was more excited for primus, but thanks to traffic and getting lost, I got there as they were playing "too many puppies." I quickly walk past the sea of tool fans standing around looking confused by what they're hearing and enjoy the rest of primus, luckily I got to hear 4 songs. they were great

I've always liked tool but never been a super fan, but I have to give them credit - great set, great stage show, tight playing, and they opened with a cover of no quarter. I amused myself thinking that at least one tool fan in that arena didn't know it was led zep.

maynard was hiding in the darkness, and when you could see him he looked like he was dressed as the f***er from the halo games, but he sounded fine. I don't like that he hides from his fans, but it didn't really alter my experience. I prefer his stage persona from before I was born, however.

killer show!

• Like 2

Steven Wilson – Hammersmith Apollo (London).

Awesome evening with SW and the band playing for 3 hours minus a 20 minute interval.

The first half comprised Hand.Cannot.Erase in its entirety with Ninet Tayeb present and performing vocals on Routine. I won’t give any spoilers but the second half consisted of a variety of music new and old from Wilson’s solo career and other collaborations.

The sound was generally good, and the band seemed totally at ease and completely in control. Steven seemed relaxed and was very chatty and funny; the atmosphere was quite intimate for such a large venue. Admittedly I’m a total fangirl, but this concert had me transfixed for the whole 3 hours.

Me too! Fantastic gig - totally hypnotic. I posted about it over in the 4.5 thread - should've come in here instead :LOL:

• Like 1

Saw Symphony X at Islington Assembly Hall on Friday night. They are great live, and Russell Allen's a brilliant vocalist and front man. He really gets the crowd going and the atmosphere was fantastic as a result. For me, as they only played for 90 minutes, I would rather they hadn't played all of the new album, Underworld, and mixed in more old stuff, but we did get Out of the Ashes, Sea of Lies, and Set the World On Fire. An excellent gig in a very decent venue. One of the support bands, Myrath, were very good too. The other lot, Melted Space, were bloody awful. I've never seen a band with four - four - lead vocalists before, and I'm pretty sure I never want to again :LOL:

Black Sabbath - MSG New York - Feb 27, 2016

Started: 8:45pm

Ended: 10:30

I thought the show could have been a little longer but the quality was there. HEAVY !!! Perfect sound/mix from the band and Ozzy's vocals were ON. Great crowd, a lot of headbanging and pot smoking, and it was just a fantastic evening in New York City listening to Black Sabbath's last show ever in Madison Square Garden.

SPOILER

Here is a quick youtube link of a song last night taken from my phone. I'm seriously thinking about seen them again in August.

Opening Act: Rival Sons Very Zeppelin-ish

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Queensryche W/Dokken 2/28/16 Pompano Beach Florida

I took my son to see them for his first ever Ryche show. We sat front row on Michael Wilton's side. Needless to say James LaTorre who recently replaced (2013) original lead singer Geoff Tate was in top form. It very well may be one of the 3 best ever metal vocal performances I have had the pleasure of seeing and hearing live in my life. He absolutely was on fire from start to finish, reaching notes I don't think Tate could ever nail in his own heyday. It was that good. The set list was flush with classics and just 2 new songs from a very solid Condition Human and 1 song from their debut album with La Torre (thankfully the best tune from the album in my opinion In This Light which was fantastic). The crowd was loving every note. My son was blown away.

A great venue, a perfect night (68 degrees and no humidity) amazing seats, amazing set.

Here was the set list:

Guardian

Operation Mind Crime

Best I Can

Damaged

The Killing Words

The Mission

Bulletproof

Empire

Anybody Listening?

In This Light

Queen Of The Reich

Jet City Woman

Take Hold Of The Flame

Encore

Screaming In Digital

Eyes Of A Stranger

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

I took my son to see them for his first ever Ryche show. We sat front row on Michael Wilton's side. Needless to say James LaTorre who recently replaced (2013) original lead singer Geoff Tate was in top form. It very well may be one of the 3 best ever metal vocal performances I have had the pleasure of seeing and hearing live in my life. He absolutely was on fire from start to finish, reaching notes I don't think Tate could ever nail in his own heyday. It was that good. The set list was flush with classics and just 2 new songs from a very solid Condition Human and 1 song from their debut album with La Torre (thankfully the best tune from the album in my opinion In This Light which was fantastic). The crowd was loving every note. My son was blown away.

A great venue, a perfect night (68 degrees and no humidity) amazing seats, amazing set.

Here was the set list:

Guardian

Operation Mind Crime

Best I Can

Damaged

The Killing Words

The Mission

Bulletproof

Empire

Anybody Listening?

In This Light

Queen Of The Reich

Jet City Woman

Take Hold Of The Flame

Encore

Screaming In Digital

Eyes Of A Stranger

Sounds like a great show!! I have never seen either band so your review was really interesting. That being said, how was Dokken??

Saw The Who with Joan Jett opening at Madison Square Garden on Thursday, March 3rd.

For those who might have wondered if The Who could sell out MSG the sign outside said it all. "Tonight, The Who live in concert. Sold Out".

Its the 2nd time of I have both groups and the only other time was last spring in Brooklyn.

Joan Jett was good. Played her big hits and can still sing. The guitarist she had with her was darn good.

For The Who all I can say is WOW!!!. Even after Rogers recent illness they can still play. What they must have been like in their prime... I have DVD's & CD's of them back i the day but I am certain that live they were even better. They can still rock big time.

As for a set list, it was basically the same as the Brooklyn show and the same as the Hyde Park CD / DVD they released recently. With 1 or 2 changes the most notable of which was their playing an instrumental from Quadrophena titled "The Rock" - if I heard correctly. Whatever it was, it was excellent. Zach S. is one very good drummer.

The crowd was really into the show and a very interesting group. As you might imagine, a lot of gray hair. I am 49 and got talking with the couple next to me and they were 55 & 63. However, a lot of younger folks were there. The guy in front of me was their with his teanage son and 3 of his sons friends. The guy, who was in his 40's was not supper crazy to be their but the son and his friends were 100% into the show. They had pushed the dad into taking them to the show. Also, a couple was off to one side with 3 teanage girls. The parents were ho-hum about the show but the girls where on their feet for the entire show. Dancing in place. Another couple, who I think were Indian, but might have been middle eastern, were also sitting in front of me. They were in their early 20's and they were totally into the show - esp. the girl. She was on her feet, dancing in place through almost the entire show, air guitaring & air drumming. I guess thats great music in NYC for you!!!

If you get the chance see The Who. They are still great in concert.

• Like 2

Here was the set list:

Guardian

Operation Mind Crime

Best I Can

Damaged

The Killing Words

The Mission

Bulletproof

Empire

Anybody Listening?

In This Light

Queen Of The Reich

Jet City Woman

Take Hold Of The Flame

Encore

Screaming In Digital

Eyes Of A Stranger

Sounds like a great show!! I have never seen either band so your review was really interesting. That being said, how was Dokken??

Musically the band ripped through just about all their hit's but curiously left out a song my son really loved called Dream Warriors.

As far as Don? His voice is shot. He sounded good for the first 2 songs....then he went limp. He just can not sing anymore. The band helped him a lot with their back up vocals. They were very tight, and it was a fun nostalgic set, but Don Dokken's vocal limitations were really apparent. A strong opening act though and the crowd was into it.

Edited by Todem

I've got a double dose of concert reviews here, but I'm gonna try to be a bit more succinct and less in-depth focused as I usually am. This past Tuesday I saw Intronaut headline at The Marlin Room at Webster Hall and the day after that I saw Maiden sell out the arena at the Garden (that's Madison Square Garden I'm referring to btw if you don't know).

I'll start with the Intronaut show first. They had a trio of great support acts with them that night. The first band to hit the stage was a local band from Brooklyn called Family who have a record coming out in July, who had a sludgy/prog metal/classic rock hybrid sound which I dug. The second band was North who I was quite familiar with as I had bought their Metanoia/Siberia CD in January in preparation for Tuesday night as well as enjoying their newest/recently released album Light The Way for the past few weeks. Their set was only a half hour long which I was kind of upset with cause I totally dug their vibe and was getting into it. The last band to hit the stage before Intronaut was Scale The Summit. They were an instrumental prog metal/djent band and while I never listened to them prior to that night, I was very impressed by them. I'd describe their vibe as being very adventurous while being quite technically proficient while at the same time being so into it and not stoic on stage which was a welcoming surprise. They also have live visuals for every song and had the names of the song shown at the beginning of each video which was also another welcoming surprise. One of the guitarists, Chris gave me a pick at the end of the set which was so cool.

Finally Intronaut hit the stage and with their trippy, psychedelic/stoner light show and Neurosis (pre-2012)-esque live visuals, they pummeled through their newly released magnum opus from last year, The Direction Of Last Things in its entirety and in running order. TDOLT was my favorite metal album of last year, and to see it live was just a thrill! They did a 3 song encore of a cut each from their previous 3 albums Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words With Tones), Valley Of Smoke and Prehistoricisms. At the end of the set, I shook hands with guitarist/lead vocalist Sacha and greeted him a belated happy birthday (his b-day was two days prior to the NYC show). Post-show while I was at North's merchtable, I got into a really good convo with their drummer Zack about stuff like their European tour with Rosetta, Mamiffer, SUMAC and (well Aaron Turner in general) his solo project. I bought a tanktop (quite unusual since I don't have many of those) a pair of buttons, and a pair of North related cassettes but Zack threw in the other 2 cassettes they were selling for free which was an unexpected and class act of him. That was rather nice of him.

And finally the Maiden show...wow. What else can I say about Maiden? They f***ing ruled! :haz: It was quite a special and emotional night for me personally cause when I graduated high school 4 years ago, the first thing I did after I graduated was see Maiden that July in Newark on the Maiden England Tour. Fast forward 4 years later, as my college life draws to a close, Maiden come in to help close the book end of sorts. Though the peak of my fanaticism with Maiden was throughout the latter half of high school, I still love them a lot and they hold a special place in my musical personality. Throughout the show, I felt I was 16 all over again and having that youthful enthusiasm/enthrallment of hearing Maiden and being blown away. The stage show was spectacular, I really loved that inflatable Satan devil goat that appeared in the backdrop during TNOTB. The setlist overall was awesome. I can't complain honestly cause it was a great dose of most of my favorite songs off The Book Of Souls, their hits and a pair of moderately deeper cut tracks (Children Of The Damned and Powerslave). Bruce had a fun time interacting with the crowd and since it was 6 years ago since they last played at the Garden he jokingly commented "I remember you! I remember you! You don't look familiar, I don't know you!" and brought a lot of laughs in the audience throughout the show during his crowd talks in between songs. I'm very glad that I got to see Blood Brothers live cause for a long time (since I became a Maiden fan when I was 16), to hear a song from Brave New World cause that's one of my favorite modern Maiden albums ever and of course despite it being the staple song off of my personal favorite Maiden album, I'll always enjoy hearing Wasted Years live.

Unfortunately, all of the wonderful things I'm saying about Maiden can't be said about their opening band The Raven Age. Personally, I just couldn't get into them...I forced myself to try to find something to dig, but no...nothing. I had to get a draft of Stella Artois during their set just to pass time cause I wasn't missing much.

Though I'd love to see Maiden every time they come to the NJ/NYC area, if this were to be the final time I'll be able to see Maiden for whatever reason, I'd be perfectly okay with this show being it.

• Like 3

David Gilmour MSG NYC April 11, 2016

Start: 8:10pm

15 min intermission at 9:15pm

Ending: 11:00pm

Section C; row 9 ( 9 rows from the stage ).

What a great show from David. Before David came on stage and during the intermission, sound snippets from DSOTM, Grandchester Meadows and other oddities was subtly played over the sound system to provide a spacey atmosphere to the venue. I loved it.

The crowd was mostly 'older' and we all sat down for most of the show. The sound was perfectly mixed with the PF round disk dominating the center of the stage with a fantastic light show.

Spoiler alert

It seems the youtube police are removing posts or the soundtrack of David's 2016 concerts so I have a sample on dropbox.

Enjoy because I sure did.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zxrjn9wxf9aqmc/IMG_2483.m4v?dl=0

• Like 1

Dream Theater, The Astonishing! Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA 04/22/2016

Ok, finally got to see Dream Theater, but “unfortunately” it was an entire performance of ONLY their new album… NOT that I’m complaining, but I love going to shows where I KIND of know the music…this one hasn’t been out long enough for me to really have a handle on it, and the studio version of it has the most GOD-awful sounding snare drum on it! It actually gets tiring when you listen to it for long stretches of time…but that’s just me…. ANYWAY…This IS an amazing band! I’ve been following them since I got their first album back in about 1991. I remember reading about them in a Rush “Fanzine”, and the person reviewing the album said that they were the next coming of Rush…ok...maybe not QUITE that good, but good nonetheless… (my opinion was this is what Rush would have sounded like if they stayed more “metal” than proggish) But I liked the first album, and when the second album came out, I was hooked! (and hitting the online forums checking them out…in fact they were so NOT famous yet that Mike Portnoy and their original lead vocalist (Charlie Domeneci) were avid followers of the old AOL music forums, and would just hang out online and be dimwits with the rest of us…but I digress… No I don’t…Kevin Moore left, and Derek Sherinian got into the band, and formed my FAVORITE era of the band, but that was short lived, and Jordan Rudess (after playing a one off show a few years earlier) got into the band full time and they did Metropolis Part II. Which was great, but in my opinion was when the band got into some different stuff, and sort of lost my interest. (although Train of Thought was a great album) After Mike Portnoy had some crazy years doing different projects, and wanted to take a break, they FIRED him, and started a quest for a new drummer and ended up with Mike Mangini. (and lost my interest as a “go to” band) First album with him, seemed too “pre-planned”...next album was just “ok”….

Now when I heard they were doing another complete concept album, I (being a prog freak and thinking that concept albums were cool) was intrigued, and followed the hype online, and got a copy of the album, and as I said…that damn snare drum was just TOXIC! A friend called and said “DT is coming to the Tower, you wanna go?” So I thought “why not!” As the weeks of their tour wore on, I figured that someone somewhere would tape the show, and I’d be able to tell if that awful snare drum was part of the live production…thankfully it wasn’t, and I actually sort of enjoyed the “bootleg” of the concert! So AS we got closer to the show I listened to another version of it and thought…ok…tolerable! So here we are!

I got picked up, the guy driving was familiar with the area (Daughter goes to Villanova, and has been to more concerts than anyone I know) and we got there in record time. This was my first show at the Tower and I thought it was cool! (I’ve been to a lot of shows in the Philly area, and it was great to finally get to one here) As we walked into the theater, we were CONSTANTLY reminded that we were NOT allowed to take ANY pictures whether with a camera, a phone, or whatever at any time or we would risk being ejected, the band has strictly forbid this! Ok…WTF? I’m not one of those people that constantly stands with my cell phone raised and snapping every ten seconds, but I LIKE to take a souvenir here and there for myself…(which usually looks like crap and I delete it anyway) But these “ushers” were being very annoying about it. OK…phone stays in the pocket...no biggie.

The show started ON TIME! Most of us that go to concerts knows that 15-20 minutes late is a usual thing…nope…8:00 the lights dimmed! A few minutes later the overture started and we were off!

I won’t go crazy into the show…(because it’s a new one on me…I may have heard the entire show four or five times before now, and never in one sitting) But it was good, REALLY good, these guys play their butts off…Petrucci is off the charts, and seemed to be on the seven string most of the night…Myung is looking old and tired, and was on his HUGE six string bass all night, in fact, every time he walked back on stage it looked like he was carrying a lance! ….Rudess is like a freaking wizard up there, and just playing stuff you can’t imagine. (on his usual single keyboard rig that’s integrated into the stage décor) His single keyboard rig turns, and dips so you can see him playing, he’s an amazing musician! Magnini is a “good” drummer…but I’m not impressed…sorry for those that are… Watching him, you can see that he has stuff all over the place left, right, center...and his playing is “convenient”. Meaning that it seems no matter where he throws a stick, a sound comes out. I’m not detracting from his “convenience” drumming because, why make things harder for yourself…but I’m just not a fan of having four to five hi-hat set ups placed in different parts of your kit, and his “independence” tom-snare-cymbal set up…but again…”whatever works for you” but I’m more impressed with other drummers…and what he’s playing isn’t the greatest stuff I’ve ever heard with this band! (I’ll leave it at that, I know people are drooling over this cat, I’m not)

LaBrie’s vocals were tough to hear because the sound system (in my opinion) didn’t compliment him. He was a tad lower in the mix than he should have been. The guy I went with was a little annoyed that he couldn’t hear the vocals, and I have to slightly agree…shame on the sound guy (and we were only about four to five rows in FRONT of them, so that’s NO excuse! He should have been pristine!)

The stage show itself was cool, they had some great video, and lighting, and it really was a great part of the entire show. BUT the fact that the band constantly entered and exited the stage during the show was a little confusing. The beginning of the show, it was just the instrumentalists…and when he “came in” LaBrie entered the stage and started singing…but EVERY time he had more than a few bars of rest, he’d walk to the side of the stage, or OFF stage behind one of the video boards, then if it was a piece with just him and Rudess, the rest of the band would walk off…and then it was a production for Myung to carry his long necked bass back on stage…Mangini to jump back up on his drum riser, and Petrucci to re-enter…sorry…STAY ON STAGE! To me it was just too confusing seeing who was on, off, walking back or off…but honestly LaBrie was the worst…sing two words, and walk off stage… I don’t get it.

Back to the part about the taking pictures….a kid in front of me pulled his phone out…snapped a picture or two, then shot maybe 10 seconds of video…an usher came up whacked him on the back and said “DON’T DO THAT, OR I’LL HAVE TO REMOVE YOU!” So he shrugged, and put his phone back in his pocket… really? What was that going to hurt? Anyway...

So to SUM up….. GO SEE THIS SHOW! Don’t take my complaints to heart, I’m a tough sell…but it’s a great show with excellent musicians, and a cool stage show, The “annoying things” aren’t enough to detract from Dream Theater’s “Wall”, “Tommy”, “2112”, “final cut”, “Tales From Topographic Oceans”…etc…add your favorite… It’s a great album, and once the live version is released you’ll love it even more! I’m glad I finally got to see this band in one of its incarnations after all of the years I’ve been following them in various states of fan-dom!

So this is out of the normal concerts. I attended my first solo classical concert last night. Renowned Irina Kulikova from Russia, classical guitarist. I have been to the symphony a few times where they highlight a violinist or Cellolist but never a solo performance. She was mesmerizing. Flawless. The unique feature of her performance was that she gave a small story behind the piece she was going to play and what it meant to her. Afterward she showed how down to earth she was by talking to us at the post performance reception.

• Like 1

So this is out of the normal concerts. I attended my first solo classical concert last night. Renowned Irina Kulikova from Russia, classical guitarist. I have been to the symphony a few times where they highlight a violinist or Cellolist but never a solo performance. She was mesmerizing. Flawless. The unique feature of her performance was that she gave a small story behind the piece she was going to play and what it meant to her. Afterward she showed how down to earth she was by talking to us at the post performance reception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Bnk5W_iXc

That's off the charts awesome!

• Like 1

I had to come home and confess to my wife that for two hours I was in love with another woman. :P
  • Like 1

I had to come home and confess to my wife that for two hours I was in love with another woman. :P

That's the other thing...she's not bad!!! :drool: