Concert Reviews

Disco

The Devin Townsend Project f***ing slayed last night at the Webster Hall. I already spoiled myself with his setlist thanks to the webstream of the entire DTP/Animals as Leaders Chicago show but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the show whatsoever. As usual Devin cracked numerous jokes throughout the set such as the monologue where he cracked a joke about Beav the bassist, wanting to get screwed that night which had the audience who came for him (such as myself) in stitches and had some who've never heard of him before looking at each other in complete bewilderment going "What the f**k is this guy on?". Some fan had a letter to Dev which he threw on stage and in the middle of I think the 2nd or 3rd song, he picked it up and gave a gesture of "I'll read it later" to the fan. I saw a couple of fans with Ziltoid puppets (including one a fan made herself which caught Dev's attention) and unfortunately they didn't sell any of those at the merch table otherwise I would've bought one myself. At the end of the show, he came down on stage to shake hands with the people in the front and I was super fortunate enough to be in the front and shook hands with him! :haz:

However, I really have to give a big hand to Animals as Leaders who totally won me over by the end of their set. I heard one song or two of theirs prior to the show/tour and I really loved what I heard but I was banking on not listening to more of them in the hopes of me being totally blown away by them live. Fortunately, my gamble worked and they put on a really awesome show. They were completely tight the whole night. With each passing song, I was loving them even more and by the end I was cheering louder and mustering up whatever I had left of my voice that night to scream out a "Yeah!" or "Woo!" Based on the audience's reception that night, AAL was the band that most fans were there to see (or either both DTP and AAL). Before the encore, Tosin the lead guitarist gave a speech about how awesome it was for us to be there that night especially after all the stuff that's been going on recently and remarked how much diversity the audience there was (literally!) and joked "especially since this is a Prog Metal show". I thought they were that awesome, the encore they played was actually one of the songs that I listened to prior to seeing them, I literally lost my s**t and I moshed for the very first time and had fun doing so. I bought their latest CD, The Joy of Motion at the merch table and gave it a spin today and I immediately recognized most of the songs as a good chunk of their set was of the newer songs. The album pretty much catapulted itself to one of my top 10 favorite releases of this year so far.

Monuments was the opening band last night, and I thought they were pretty good but I felt bad for them cause this was their hometown show and the audience particularly in the front wasn't as animated and adrenaline pumped as they were during DTP and AAL's set. I remember during one of their songs the frontman asked everyone to kneel down and then on his count, he wanted everyone to get up and jump to the rhythm of the song. Well to my (and I bet the whole audience's) amusement, we did kneel down, but I'd say about half of us started jumping when it came time to do so. I jumped for about 5 seconds before stopping to save my energy for later in the night. He did come down and shake hands with the audience at the end of their rather short set, and I did thank him for putting on a good show even if we sort of weren't as lively as we were later that night. Will try my best to not forget these guys and check them out a bit more.

Possibly the most "progressive" concert I've seen and literally the most diverse audience I've been a part of in my life but a good one IMO. If I had one thing to complain about it was that I noticed how several people in the audience around me was too tied into their phones and social media sites. I even saw one person in the audience was on his Nintendo DS in between Monuments and DTP's set and left at the end of Dev's set. He looked a bit sad and miserable also. A bit bothersome sight to see at a concert, but it definitely didn't get in the way of enjoying the show. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite shows I've seen this year. :haz:

• Like 1

I saw trans-Siberian orchestra again last night. Another strong show from them. I've seen them a few times since I know someone connected to the band pretty well. If you haven't seen them they always have players with great chops and this year they had a female and a male singer (they use several singers in the show) that were absolutely great. It's a great show and a lot of fun.
  • Like 1

I saw Steve Hackett several nights ago in Vancouver.

During Supper's Ready, during the flute solo that opens Apocalypse in 9/8, the power went out. It came back on less than a minute later, but goddamn that was kinda scary. So as the techs are getting everything back together, Steve tries to address the audience but is unable to do so at that point. He then walks behind the microphone to the very front of the stage, and begins doing push-ups. Did I mention he's about 64? So out of the blue and hilarious. Afterwards, stage lights start coming back on, and the techs give them the go ahead to start back up, and in the meantime some of us are shouting out ridiculous requests and suggestions of starting the whole song, and then the whole show, all over again. Great times. And so they start back at flute solo, and the show goes on.

Best comeback from a technical failure since Rush in Boston 2010 and "Still No Guitar!".

• Like 1

Alice Cooper and Motley Crue at Atlantic City , October 24, 2014

My first time seeing both bands and was not disappointed. I had VIP standing ( all tickets were standing ).

Alice Cooper played all of his hits and his band was tight. Bravo Alice... Loved the show.

Motley Crue... Loud, flames and many girls swinging their blond hair.

Would I go see either band again... absolutely

watch to the end of this video... shows how close I was.

http://youtu.be/R5xYt3gLaSg

flames explosions

http://youtu.be/Vmqc4vqzcdM

i saw the same show in Detroit. I had seen Alice Cooper before.... MANY years (coughdecadescough) ago and he still puts on a good drama filled show!

First time seeing Motley Crew. All I can say is Tommy Lee's drum solo was off the flippin charts man ! loved it!! recorded the whole thing too!!

Saw Bob Seger with the J. Geiles Band open last night at Madison Square Garden.

J. Geiles Band was (IMO) just an opening act and not much more, Crowed seemed to like them though.

Bob Seger - wow. Just wow. I saw him about a year or 2 back at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and that show was one massive sing a long. Unfortunately for me, I had a bunch of drunks sitting around me at that show so it somewhat marred my enjoyment of the show.

This show, thankfully, no major drunken jerks sitting ear me so I could enjoy the show. And man was their a lot to enjoy. His classic stuff is just that - classic. His new stuff is good enough I may go purchase the album.

His voice is still very strong. Hey, at 69 years old (close to 70) the guy can still sing and put on a great live show. If you get the chance to see him on this tour do not miss him. Take advantage of the opportunity and see him. He is just amazing live and (IMO) could keep playing live for a few more years if he wants to. Give that he is out on tour and this is like the 3rd time in the last 3 or 4 years that he has played the NYC area he clearly has some creative energy left and appears to continue to have some, limited, interest in touring.

These 2 show have convinced me that I have badly underestimated Seger through the years and that he is a real treasure.

The crowed had a lot of gray hair / white hair and bald heads in it but that did not seem to matter. They were great and full of energy. Seger introduced one of his songs as "A song that has not been played live in MSG in 30 years" and it turned out to Like a Rock. The crowed went nuts.

For another song he introduced it as "a song I wrote in 1970". You could see him just shaking his head and saying to himself "Shit, that was 44 years ago." That song turned out to be "Turn the Page" and entire crowd just sang along. Almost a religious experience. Thats how magical the show was.

Great show. MSG was close to sold out for it. If you get the chance to see Bob, don't pass on it.

The Who London O2 Arena 22 & 23 March 2015

Back from London after attending this couple of The Who shows, originally planned three months ago and then postponed for last minute Roger's throat problems.

For those of you having tickets for the forthcoming US tour and for the bunch of summer European dates, let me first say that Roger sang greatly and didn't spare a single breath.

As you will see on the links below, setlists include some 60s gems not played since dinosaurs walked on the planet and a lot of their classic tracks are obviously present.

Being shows in London, Pete and Roger indulged often in their usual comedy moments, both between themselves and with the front rows (it's the main reason why I love seeing them there).

I have really enjoied both nights, even though I find their 2013 shows stronger, but that's due to the fact that two years ago they played whole Quadrophenia in the first 90 mins

Here you can find the setlists:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/the-o2-arena-london-england-4bcb2b7e

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/the-o2-arena-london-england-7bcb2620.html

And here words wiser than mine:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/the-who-join-together-with-02-faithful

• Like 1

The Who London O2 Arena 22 & 23 March 2015

Back from London after attending this couple of The Who shows, originally planned three months ago and then postponed for last minute Roger's throat problems.

For those of you having tickets for the forthcoming US tour and for the bunch of summer European dates, let me first say that Roger sang greatly and didn't spare a single breath.

As you will see on the links below, setlists include some 60s gems not played since dinosaurs walked on the planet and a lot of their classic tracks are obviously present.

Being shows in London, Pete and Roger indulged often in their usual comedy moments, both between themselves and with the front rows (it's the main reason why I love seeing them there).

I have really enjoied both nights, even though I find their 2013 shows stronger, but that's due to the fact that two years ago they played whole Quadrophenia in the first 90 mins

Here you can find the setlists:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/the-o2-arena-london-england-4bcb2b7e

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/the-o2-arena-london-england-7bcb2620.html

And here words wiser than mine:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/the-who-join-together-with-02-faithful

• Like 1

Wow...went to see Brit Floyd tonight... Great stuff! I'm not usually a big fan of tribute acts, but these guys are on par with The Musical Box as far as presentation! (And they played great as well!)

Highlights were Echoes, and side four of The Wall! They also did (the song) the final cut, which has always been one of my favorite (Roger Waters solo) albums!

If you get a chance, I recommend seeing them!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Saw Nightwish the opening night of its tour supporting its new album in NYC.

The first opening act was Delain - decent, good, enjoyable.

The 2'nd was a Swedish Group named Sabaton. They are to heavy for my overall taste but what a live performance they put on!!! They kicked ass big time!!!! The place was going nuts for them.

Nightwish (first time I have eber seen them live) was very good. Thomas H. is an amazing songwriter, Floor has a great stage presence (what is she 6 foot? 6 foot 3?) and she has a great voice. She had said on Nightwish's website that the new album challenged her to sing in all kinds of ways - high, low, hard, soft, slow, fast -and she definitely can. Big time respect to both her vocal abilities and Thomas with his song writing to get the max out of them.

Having Sabaton open up for Nightwish was sort of like having Judas Priest open for Rush. Different music and one works the crowd more than the other so it kind of hurt how Nightwish came off - IMO. But they were still very good.

Very loud concert. Even with earplugs my ears are still slightly messed up. Hopeing things will get better, esp. as I get over the bad head cold I got a day after the show. This has happend to me once before but it took a while for things to get better. Its why I try to avoid in door shows.

Saw Primus last night...I was always sort of a casual fan, a friend that saw them open for Rush years back loaned me some of their stuff, and I liked it so I went and got my own... When they announced this being so close to home, I HAD to go see them, especially since they were doing their whole "Chocolate Factory" album...(and living in Hershey, this was kind of ironic!)

Great show! They started with some oldies as a three piece Those Damn Blue Collar Tweakers, Jerry was a Race Car Driver, My Name is Mud, etc... then took an intermission...

The curtains were closed and they started with Hello Wonkite's, and played the whole Chocolate Factory album (complete with big Oompa Loompa's during the appropriate tunes) The stage set was like the chocolate factory, and had a big screen that played parts of the movie at the appropriate moment...it reminded me of a Pink Floyd concert! Very cool stuff!!

After that they then came back and did an encore with Mr. Knowitall, Southbound Pachyderm (which was freaking amazing, always loved that song!), and Here Come the Bastards!

Les is probably one of the most intense bass players I've ever heard...the sounds he gets are amazing, and his fingers are all over the place! A few times he played a bass that looked like a "Dobro" guitar, which was kind of cool! Ler had some great solo's throughout the night, and hearing Herb play on the albums, and a few boots I've heard, I thought he'd be a crazy force behind the kit, but he's VERY conservative and intense! Plays the CRAP out of that wild kit!

If you get a chance to see them, you HAVE to go! It's just an great show to see!!!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Herb has been in and out of the band since '96. Depending on when the bootlegs you've heard are from, it could also have been Brain or Jay Lane. Personally, Jay is my favorite Primus drummer (nothing against those other guys). He was actually there first...before Herb.

Saw Primus last night...I was always sort of a casual fan, a friend that saw them open for Rush years back loaned me some of their stuff, and I liked it so I went and got my own... When they announced this being so close to home, I HAD to go see them, especially since they were doing their whole "Chocolate Factory" album...(and living in Hershey, this was kind of ironic!)

Great show! They started with some oldies as a three piece Those Damn Blue Collar Tweakers, Jerry was a Race Car Driver, My Name is Mud, etc... then took an intermission...

The curtains were closed and they started with Hello Wonkite's, and played the whole Chocolate Factory album (complete with big Oompa Loompa's during the appropriate tunes) The stage set was like the chocolate factory, and had a big screen that played parts of the movie at the appropriate moment...it reminded me of a Pink Floyd concert! Very cool stuff!!

After that they then came back and did an encore with Mr. Knowitall, Southbound Pachyderm (which was freaking amazing, always loved that song!), and Here Come the Bastards!

Les is probably one of the most intense bass players I've ever heard...the sounds he gets are amazing, and his fingers are all over the place! A few times he played a bass that looked like a "Dobro" guitar, which was kind of cool! Ler had some great solo's throughout the night, and hearing Herb play on the albums, and a few boots I've heard, I thought he'd be a crazy force behind the kit, but he's VERY conservative and intense! Plays the CRAP out of that wild kit!

If you get a chance to see them, you HAVE to go! It's just an great show to see!!!

Thanks for the review. I've always wanted to see them mainly to see Les. He's a nut but a great bass player. :)

• Like 1

Herb has been in and out of the band since '96. Depending on when the bootlegs you've heard are from, it could also have been Brain or Jay Lane. Personally, Jay is my favorite Primus drummer (nothing against those other guys). He was actually there first...before Herb.

Yeah...I know of the other guys...I like how he plays, though...some pretty cool riffs coming out of him.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. I've always wanted to see them mainly to see Les. He's a nut but a great bass player. :)

Yeah, I've followed a few of his things (Frog Brigade and Oysterhead) as well, and he plays like crazy! I just pulled the bootleg from last nights show off of Dimeadozen and I can't wait to burn it and play it to hear it again...great stuff!

I always loved the one comment during an interview with him and he was talking about his audition for Metallica,he said at one point he asked if they "wanted to play some Isely Brothers!" and they didn't know how to "take" him!

• Like 1

Yeah, I've followed a few of his things (Frog Brigade and Oysterhead) as well, and he plays like crazy! I just pulled the bootleg from last nights show off of Dimeadozen and I can't wait to burn it and play it to hear it again...great stuff!

I always loved the one comment during an interview with him and he was talking about his audition for Metallica,he said at one point he asked if they "wanted to play some Isely Brothers!" and they didn't know how to "take" him!

I bet that would have been funny to see the looks on their faces.

Yeah...I can only imagine with their "intensity"! He's WAY too good for that band! He would have changed them (well for the better) and they wouldn't be the same "METAL" act! He's more inclined to play in King Crimson if Tony Levin ever gave up! (in fact...Primus always sort of reminded me of KC but in a more "alternative/modern" mode) (which was probably why I always liked their stuff)

Yeah...I can only imagine with their "intensity"! He's WAY too good for that band! He would have changed them (well for the better) and they wouldn't be the same "METAL" act! He's more inclined to play in King Crimson if Tony Levin ever gave up! (in fact...Primus always sort of reminded me of KC but in a more "alternative/modern" mode) (which was probably why I always liked their stuff)

Oh yeah I agree. He wouldn't have been a right fit for them. They needed the gorilla they ended up with.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I agree. He wouldn't have been a right fit for them. They needed the gorilla they ended up with.

I actually LIKED Jason Newstead, and was impressed that he did the Gov't Mule "Bass project" after Allen Woody passed away (another great Bass player!)

• Like 1

Listening to South Bound Pachyderm from the bootleg from last night...and was reminded of the section where Les traded solo licks with the guy that was playing mallet percussion (from the Fungi Ensemble) Talk about some crazy stuff! I wasn't overly thrilled with the guys technique...but he played some great stuff! (Vibes and xylophone) (not to mention Tabla, and some other stuff...timbali's...)

I AM serious...if this show gets to your neighborhood GO SEE IT! It's wild!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Listening to South Bound Pachyderm from the bootleg from last night...and was reminded of the section where Les traded solo licks with the guy that was playing mallet percussion (from the Fungi Ensemble) Talk about some crazy stuff! I wasn't overly thrilled with the guys technique...but he played some great stuff! (Vibes and xylophone) (not to mention Tabla, and some other stuff...timbali's...)

That would be Mike Dillon. He's from New Orleans and has been doing projects with Les for probably around 10 years now. Awesome player. I'm not crazy about vibes in general, but he kicks ass.

That would be Mike Dillon. He's from New Orleans and has been doing projects with Les for probably around 10 years now. Awesome player. I'm not crazy about vibes in general, but he kicks ass.

Yeah, I looked him up, amazing player!! Coming from a "percussion" background, I LOVE seeing guys like that out playing in these types of situations...but I wasn't sure of his technique...a little more drummer-like than percussionist...must be my marching percussion background..he was really BASHING the instruments, so I thought that MAYBE that was the reason,but he's in an amplified situation, and when I played outdoor percussion we had to bash too...but kept technique...just bugged me I guess...

I actually LIKED Jason Newstead, and was impressed that he did the Gov't Mule "Bass project" after Allen Woody passed away (another great Bass player!)

yeah, trujillo and newstead are both really talented bassists. you just can't tell from listening to their work with metallica.

trujillo's peak was infectious grooves and suicidal tendencies in the early 90s.

yeah, trujillo and newstead are both really talented bassists. you just can't tell from listening to their work with metallica.

trujillo's peak was infectious grooves and suicidal tendencies in the early 90s.

I like Jason Newsted's work outside of Metallica. Nothing he ever did with them ever really impressed me .

Saw Nightwish last night in Vancouver. With opening acts (Delain, Sabaton) and intermissions, 4 hours. Longest show I've ever been to, and probably the most intense (with the partial exception of Rush). I'm so fracking sore....

Having Sabaton open up for Nightwish was sort of like having Judas Priest open for Rush. Different music and one works the crowd more than the other so it kind of hurt how Nightwish came off - IMO. But they were still very good.

Agreed. There were people at the show who came almost specifically for Sabaton. Not really my sort of thing, but they're awfully nice guys, very fun.