Concert Reviews

Disco

Saw an awesome show last night: The Idan Raichel Project at the Dead Sea. Totally exceeded my expectations. The crowd was great. Most of the people there were my age - lots of students and gorgeous girls. The music was great and everyone was happy, just really wonderful energy the whole time.

The Project blends elements from Middle Eastern, electronic and African music, and the final product is exciting and refreshing.

Here in the photo you see Idan on the left; to his right is seated the oud/bouzouki player; to his right is the percussionist. Then there's a white woman who was absolutely phenomenal. I was transfixed by her voice and how she danced on the stage. Really a beautiful and talented girl. Then there's a black woman and a black guy, immigrants from Ethiopia. The girl is considered the main attraction of this band, but I thought she was just good. The guy had a much stronger presence on stage, and I thought he did a great job. To their right's the drummer, and to his right (not in the picture) is the bassist.

We sat seventh row. 1022.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/amirror/PICT0110.jpg

Heh, I usually just start a new thread when I want to get into a mega review for bands, but I like this idea too. I can give little mini reviews without feeling like I have to write a novel of a thread, lol. I think I might pin this one.

I saw The Red Elvises last night at Slim's. They are all Russian, from Siberia, and play surfer music. The novelty definatly works and it was a very high energy show. By the end of the night my voice was completely cracked and I couldnt yell anymore, but it was a blast. One of the coolest things about this band is the bass player doesnt play a bass, but this HUGE red balalaika, which is really cool to watch. The singer/guitarist was constantly getting the crowd to yell in enthusiasm for the band, and at one point there was a drum solo in which all 6 members in the band were playing on the drummers kit, took turns doing solos for each person, followed by an insane drum solo. Their drummer is like Neil Peart good, just a completely different style.

Anyway, if I would highly recommend this kick ass rock'n'roll from Siberia, check them out. The Red Elvises, Your Favorite Band!

Edited by Moonraker

My high school had a benefit concert for our Brother school that was wiped out by Katrina.

The concert featured four bands, three of which were highly reknowned local high school bands. The fourth was called Got Soul? and was compiled of the high school Spanish teacher and series of musicians that didn't have a band. They had a funk/jazz sound and opened the show nicely.

Gnar Dogs Revenge was a punk/ska band. They had so much energy, it wasn't even funny. They 8 had guys on the stage: Trombone, Vocals, Keyboard, Tenor Saxophone, Bass Saxiphone, drummer, guitar, bass. There music was pretty intense, but without the show they were putting on up on stage, it would be nothing. Their fans would run aorund in circles and in random intervals the trombone palyer would jump off the stage and play and run around with them.

Runaway Summer was an emo band. They were a bit boring, but the drummer was extremley talented in my eyes.

The Glory Beats were the best of the four. Their lead guitarist played an acoustical guitar, with a ryhtym electric. They had a saxophone player that alternated between 4 saxophones, and lead vocals who is the best singer in the school. They covered "All for You" by sister hazel and did it justice. They ahd a few original songs, which were kinda pop rock, but better. They did some reggae original stuff too. The saxophone player played the tune from the Mario Bros. Video games, and the drummer use a hip hop beat, and every body in the audience was dancing like it was a club! rofl3.gif And they finished with a cover of Gavin Degrwa's "Chariot" and they did it ten times better!

I'll tell you what little I remember of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Dallas, April, 1969. We lived in Fort Worth, and my parents took us to the venue, and later picked us up. I was with my brother and sister. We were in the nosebleed seats, but center. The opening act was Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) with lots of musicians and tons of horns. They were great!

Then The Experience took the stage. There were only three of them, but they were HUGE! Don't even ask me what they played. But it was the Electric Ladyland Tour, so they had a sizable catalog to draw from. It was, simply put, amazing. There would be all these overlayed sounds, and you would look at Jimi and he was playing behind his back, or with his teeth. At one point he said, "Sorry I'm so LOUD!" Then he launched into another song and bumped up the volume. The crowd went nuts. 1022.gif

I was on nothing, but I was hallucinating after the show. wacko.gif

I will never forget that concert.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 24 2005, 02:18 PM)
I'll tell you what little I remember of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Dallas, April, 1969. We lived in Fort Worth, and my parents took us to the venue, and later picked us up. I was with my brother and sister. We were in the nosebleed seats, but center. The opening act was Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) with lots of musicians and tons of horns. They were great!

Then The Experience took the stage. There were only three of them, but they were HUGE! Don't even ask me what they played. But it was the Electric Ladyland Tour, so they had a sizable catalog to draw from. It was, simply put, amazing. There would be all these overlayed sounds, and you would look at Jimi and he was playing behind his back, or with his teeth. At one point he said, "Sorry I'm so LOUD!" Then he launched into another song and bumped up the volume. The crowd went nuts. 1022.gif

I am soooooooooooooooooo jealous cool.gif

Mind you I was a month short of my first birthday laugh.gif

I saw Sons & Daughters last Friday, my second time seeing the band, but this time it was at a much smaller place and I was front and center for it. Openers were The Wolfkings, who were a little mellow for my tastes, and Willy Mason. Mason is a 1 man acoustic thing, but hes obviously a very talented and humorous songwriter. Lol, one of the songs he sang was about his fathers fear of lyme disease. Anyway Sons and Daughters were great, kinda a cross between Nirvana and Buddy Holly, with a scottish flavor to them. Plus I think its kinda cool the way they have a female lead singer with a male backup, it gave the music a nice twist.

I just saw Metric last Friday (11/04/05) in San Francisco at Slim's. Their openers were The Lovely Feathers and Death of a Party. This show was actually recommended to me by D-13, and I have to definatly thank her for the heads up on this band. She wrote a thread about them http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9212 here that gave alerted me to them. I checked them out, and was amazed enough to buy a ticket a few months before the show, and it was incredible.

The opener, The Lovely Feathers were suprisingly good for an opening band, they sounded kinda like The Arcade Fire, once they got into thier heavy portions of their songs. Death of A Party was the next opener, they are a San Francisco band that are starting to become a favorite of mine right now. The singer for this group gets down off the stage and actually dances around with the crowd, which is really fun to be apart of. Thier show was incredible, but they didnt play 2 of my favorite songs on their EP which was a little disappointing tongue.gif

Metric came on last, they are sort of an electronic rock based band, with this really good female singer. I had only ever heard a few tracks off thier album before, and it was amazing to see how their catch, electronic based rock translated in a live scene. Once they got on the stage and got into thier material, my section of the crowd started to get really into the show. Especially during songs like Monster Hospital and The List, there were a few people nearby me that were totally moshing all around. The show was a mostly female audience though, so I didnt have too much of a problem with it. I was most impressed with thier performance and the singers ease on stage, talking to the audience and specific people frequently, it was great.

Anyway, I would highly recommend them, to me they sound like a Bloc Party or Kasabian with a female singer. I'm DEFINATLY gonna have to pick them up the next I go to a store.

Just saw Jethro Tull last night at the historic Paramount Theatre in Oakland. Before I get into the performance, I have to comment on the beauty of the art deco inside this building, the entire wall and ceiling section is covered in brass carvings, very beautiful looking. Anyway upon entering the venue, I was given a free copy of a cd consisting of a live performance Jethro Tull did for XM radio, where they played the entire Aqualung album live. Considering a number of songs were reworked and relearned, as they hadnt been played since they were first recorded in 1971, this gave JT a bit of new (albiet old) material to pick from in thier setlist.

The set was divided into 2 halves, consisting of an acoustic beginning half, and a louder, electric final half. This half was a bit more relaxed and mellow, with a few tracks from the JT X-mas album released a couple days ago, but mostly older material. The real highlights took place in the second half though, with versions of Thick As A Brick, Budapest, and a plethra of Aqualung material. It was really interesting hearing reworked versions of Hymn 43 and Wind Up, in addition to the standard Aqualung material that has been touched before. I think the entire album was played by the end of the show.

Jethro Tull was the very first (and second) concert I have ever been to, so it was like reliving my first show all over agian. Ian cant quite hit the high notes anymore, but it still sounds incredible.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 6 2005, 10:57 PM)
I just saw Metric last Friday (11/04/05) in San Francisco at Slim's. Their openers were The Lovely Feathers and Death of a Party. This show was actually recommended to me by D-13, and I have to definatly thank her for the heads up on this band. She wrote a thread about them http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9212 here that gave alerted me to them. I checked them out, and was amazed enough to buy a ticket a few months before the show, and it was incredible.

The opener, The Lovely Feathers were suprisingly good for an opening band, they sounded kinda like The Arcade Fire, once they got into thier heavy portions of their songs. Death of A Party was the next opener, they are a San Francisco band that are starting to become a favorite of mine right now. The singer for this group gets down off the stage and actually dances around with the crowd, which is really fun to be apart of. Thier show was incredible, but they didnt play 2 of my favorite songs on their EP which was a little disappointing tongue.gif

Metric came on last, they are sort of an electronic rock based band, with this really good female singer. I had only ever heard a few tracks off thier album before, and it was amazing to see how their catch, electronic based rock translated in a live scene. Once they got on the stage and got into thier material, my section of the crowd started to get really into the show. Especially during songs like Monster Hospital and The List, there were a few people nearby me that were totally moshing all around. The show was a mostly female audience though, so I didnt have too much of a problem with it. I was most impressed with thier performance and the singers ease on stage, talking to the audience and specific people frequently, it was great.

Anyway, I would highly recommend them, to me they sound like a Bloc Party or Kasabian with a female singer. I'm DEFINATLY gonna have to pick them up the next I go to a store.

WICKED! Metric freaking rocks my socks...and so did the lovely feathers!

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 24 2005, 02:18 PM)
I'll tell you what little I remember of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Dallas, April, 1969.  We lived in Fort Worth, and my parents took us to the venue, and later picked us up.  I was with my brother and sister.  We were in the nosebleed seats, but center.  The opening act was Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) with lots of musicians and tons of horns.  They were great!

Then The Experience took the stage.  There were only three of them, but they were HUGE!  Don't even ask me what they played.  But it was the Electric Ladyland Tour, so they had a sizable catalog to draw from.  It was, simply put, amazing.  There would be all these overlayed sounds, and you would look at Jimi and he was playing behind his back, or with his teeth.  At one point he said, "Sorry I'm so LOUD!"  Then he launched into another song and bumped up the volume.  The crowd went nuts. 1022.gif

Unreal Grizz. Tales like that make me wish I were 10 years older. The best I can claim is seeing SRV at the Fair Park Bandshell in '84. It was an unforgettable show. The single best guitar performance I've seen(that I can remember). I also snuck into a ZZ-Top new years show at the now defunct Wintergarden when I was way underage, '79 I think. Of course I've got to include the MP tour. Mabey the best all-around show I've seen. Geddy was still in full voice, Alex not yet fully nose-candied out. The YYZ solo is still Neils' best I think. Plus I got to meet Alex and Ged as they got on the bus after the show. common001.gif

Ok, I had better get started on reviewing the last few shows I hit over this week, else I will have half a dozen to do in another couple days, lol.

So on Sunday, I went to go see this little band called Death Cab For Cutie at the Warfield in SF, with The Stars opening. The Stars were kinda mellow for my taste, but after a few songs I could see where they were coming from with their sound. Though not my kind of music, they are definatly all passionate about what they do and it showed in the music. For a band like DCFC, whose sound can be quite mellow as well at times, it seemed an appropriate opener.

After a short intermission, DCFC took the stage, causing many a young emo girl in the crowd to scream in excitement. I had actually expected them to be somewhat reserved and laid back in thier performance, but they were rocking out pretty hard throughout most of the show (barring the sappy ballads). They hit on most of thier Plans material, which they were touring for, which I liked. I dont know too much of thier previous body of work, but I knew a lot of what was being played just because they were sticking mostly to new material. Anyway, it was very enjoyable, and I cant wait to see them again at Not So Silent Night next month.

Ok, the next night (11/14) I went to go see Social Distortion at the Fillmore. This was an all out punk show, probably my first real punk show, considering I am not too into the genre, there are only a few select bands I do enjoy out of that. The Dead 60's and Devil Doll were the openers this night. Old and new punkheads were in full force this night, but not too much an attitude of anticipated violence that you may expect at most punk shows. There were a number of older Social D fans, I guess age brings you the wisdom that you dont need to beat the crap out of other people to still have a good time, lol. This was actually night 4/5 they were playing at the Fillmore, throughout that week they had scheduled a ton of shows here in SF.

Anyway, Devil Doll was the first opener. They were a smooth, jazzy band, whose music could easily have been the sound track to some an old film noir movie. Fronted by an incredibly attractive, low sexy voiced girl who was really into playing with the crowd through her singing. The Dead 60's were the second, and I was immediatly blown away by thier intensity. They are a newer band, but I can see these guys really going far, every song had me moving and screaming.

Anyway, despite the incredible opening acts, the real show came when Social Distortion took the stage. Almost as immediatly as Mike Ness took the stage, people began pushing and shoving thier way to the front. Now me being only about 10 feet back before the great push, as soon as the crowd started moving I quickly found myself not more then a couple rows of people behind the front. This show's crowd was very much like the Davis NIN show I saw earlier this year, with everyone moving around and packed in the front like sardines. By the end of it all, I was a sweaty mess and thoroughly wrecked, but I had a great time. It was great finally getting a chance to see these guys up close, the time before I had seen them at a festival type show and was about 100 miles away in the lawn section (SHORELINE SUCKS!!). So yes the show was good biggrin.gif

U2 Tampa, Florida November 16, 2005

Well, I'm sitting here trying to describe this show without using predictable, cliched words like "awesome", "amazing" or "incredible". Then, it occurs to me that sometimes these words are perfectly appropriate.

It's "amazing" to see how something like a group of musicians playing for money, a scenario we've all experienced many times, and quite frankly, something which I've become particularly jaded about, can be made to feel like something else entirely. Something, dare I say it......... transcendant?

Kinda cool also, that this experience always seems to produce for me several newest-bestest-buddies-for-life-I'll-never-see-again. (Pictures to follow.) There's just something about a concert, especially a general admission scenario, that brings this out in people. ("Oh, you like 'Until the End of the World', too? I LOVE that song!")

It's "incredible" to believe that this group of guys, led by this charismatic, bleeding-heart, idealistic, outspoken lead singer can make die-hard Republicans share beer, good conversation, and laughs with ultra-leftists. But, I was there. I experienced it. I was the "right" half of these equations, and I here I am, finding myself wanting to research African debt-relief some more. Can it be morally, economically feasible? Does it seem to offer the best long-term chances for prosperity, freedom, and free enterprise for this benighted continent? Does it make sense from the point of view of a die-hard capitalist?

I'm not ready to proclaim a final opinion. Not just yet.

And, I suppose "awesome" is as good a word as any to describe the sheer power of great rock. These guys know how to craft a tune, and sling those guitars around!

Of course, the history of these concert reviews has always been as much about the people one meets, as about the show. I see no need to break tradition.

I met up with my sister-in-law, with whom I was very gratified to share my good fortune at getting General Admission (GA) tickets (the Holy Grail of U2 tickets this year). This is especially true since she recently got some bad family news. I had "instructed" her to acquire some good Irish whisky (or Jim Beam, whatever LOL), as I was determined to take the "edge" (pun intended) off my work-a-day worries. So, we went to the arena, got a number written on our hands, (we were fan-club GA line members 501 and 502, by the way), then returned to my parked mini-van to have a brief sip. I felt like a high-schooler all over again, stealing furtive glances this way and that, but whatchagunnado? It's either that, or pay $8 a beer at the venue. (To paraphrase Miss Sarajevo, "Is there a time........ to be cheap?") Yes, there is.

We returned to the GA line outside the venue, which by this point, was easily several thousand. They were actually lined up in 2 rows, those with fanclub GA's, and those with regular GA's.

So, we found our proper place in line, and I decided to just see if I could spot some friends I had met last year at the Tampa Rush show.

I walked not more than 20 feet when I spotted them! And this was among a group of thousands! How "incredible" is that?

Had a nice chat with Jeremiah and Gary (known to some here as "Xana Dew" and "Bruthr Presto", respectively).

Here's the three of us, feeling little to no pain. (L to R, Jeremiah, Gary, me.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/JeremiahGaryAndScott.jpg

Soon enough, the line began moving. As the tickets were scanned, there was a system to randomly select tickets to go inside the "ellipse", the area directly in front of the stage, which holds 300-400 people, and is enclosed by catwalks. If the GA ticket is a Holy Grail, the ellipse is umm.......... really neat.

An employee of the venue told me that the general admission area held about 5000 people. So, considering that each selected ticket-holder also brings in one companion, there were about 175 times that the buzzer went off. So, between the 2 of us, we had about a 1 in 14 chance to make it. (Please post corrections to my math at ibarelypassedcalculusanddontcare.com.)

Well......... if I thought I was lucky to spot my friends in that crush of people outdoors, my luck was about to become, umm.......... "incredible".

It happened so fast, but the next thing I know, someone is telling my sister "congratulations!" What? No way! Shut up! Get outta town! So, we got ourselves a blue wristband, and proceeded like we were part of the road crew or somesuch, all the way to a spot about 20 feet from Adam's side of the stage.

By the way, apologies to J & G if my excited reaction seemed a bit, oh, I don't know, exuberant. Suffice it to say, no one in the immediate area failed to realize I was a happy dude.

Highlights of the show? Bono introduced "Sometimes you can't Make It On Your Own" by talking about his father (as usual). He said when he'd talk to him, his Dad would say "take off those fu*king sunglasses!" During "Love and Peace or Else" Bono whacks on a drum at the far side of the catwalk. Very dramatic dude, that Bono.

And the moment when Bono asks the audience to take out their cell phones and send a text message to a particular number, showing support for his "One" campaign, was quite moving. The arena lit up with literally thousands of flickers of light. Beautiful to see, really.

Songs I was ecstatic to hear:

"Mysterious Ways"

"Until the End of the World"

"Original of the Species" (a beautiful love song from HTDAAB)

"Stuck in a Moment"

"With or Without You"

"40"

Songs I loved to hear, and enjoyed immensely:

Everything else.

And, of course, there were many songs I wished to hear. Probably most notable by its absence was "Miracle Drug", a song which they've pretty consistently played this tour, and which was greatly missed.

My only wish is that they had adopted an "evening with" format, as Rush did several years ago. I know the argument for exposing new bands, etc. but frankly, I'd rather see more U2. It doesn't seem likely that will ever happen, though. So, I'll just need to be content with what there was to experience.

Other concert experiences? Wow! Where to begin? There was my new best-friend-for-life Victor, from Mexico City. Victor dude, send me those pics you took with your REAL camera, with the telephoto, please.

Victor managed to elicit the interest of security, who came by looking for someone with a real camera, and even asked to see my crappy disposable thingie. Luckily, Victor was away at the time they came by.

Then there were other folks. The girl with the punk, "hello kitty" look. The cutie pie who befriended Victor and me, just because we were 2 "wild and crazy guys"!!!

One more here, proving how crappy my camera was, Mr. Adam Clayton:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/04.jpg

And a closeup, crop of the same:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/BonoAndAdam.jpg

Just WAIT until my pal Victor comes through with some REAL pics. I can just FEEL he's gonna do it. And, judging by my recent luck, you ought not bet against me, eh?

"It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away."

Edited by BSG

Here's a few more pics from this show.

First, Victor, my new bestest buddy and I:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/VictorandScott.jpg

And some cutie pie (never caught her name) and Victor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/CutiePieAndVictor.jpg

And, for the record, here's what they played:

01. City Of Blinding Lights

02. Vertigo

03. Elevation

04. Mysterious Ways

05. Until The End Of The World

06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/In A Little While

07. Beautiful Day

08. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

09. Love And Peace Or Else

10. Sunday Bloody Sunday

11. Bullet The Blue Sky

12. Miss Sarajevo

13. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

14. Where The Streets Have No Name

15. One

Encore:

16. The First Time

17. Stuck in a Moment

18. With or Without You

19. All Because Of You

20. Yahweh

21. 40

Wow, BSG, what a night !!!

A great tale from the whisky supping to the eclipse tickets - are we too cool to shout that that's absolutely fantastic? Hell bleeping no!

How close were you and how pretty was the girl??

I saw U2 ages and ages ago (Zoorpoa tour) and had one of the best times I've ever had at a concent. wasnt' a fan before but was a real convert. Dancing away to the support bands, pretending to score a goal on hallowed turf of Wembley (major soccer stadium in the UK) and puffing up with my mates. And U2. The best band for a stadium show by a country mile.

Disco

Sorry, I cant top a review like BSG gave, so I will just give some pictures and a short description. Well, I might be able to if I tried, but.. oy....

Last Friday (11/18/05) I went to see Depeche Mode in San Jose for thier Playing The Angel tour. Raveonettes opened, and were incredible. Depeche Mode were suprisingly active and energetic, considering they have been around since the early 80's. The only drawback I may have had is that they have way too much material that I wanted to hear, but I thought it was really cool that they werent in a nostalgia trip and played over half of thier new album. The stage setup was very cool too, with the synth's surrounded by these UFO looking stands. And there was this huge ball looking thing with lighted words, lcd screens acting as a marquee for random lyrics for whatever song was playing, lights shooting out of it. A very futuristic looking stage.

As for where I was, I thought it was a GA show, but turns out it was all seated, so when I got my ticket from will call, I was slightly more then ecstatic to discover I had row 4 tickets. This feeling was only compounded when I realized just where my seat was in the arena of about 15,000 people, it was directly infront of this little walkway thingy that came out of the stage. Therefore providing me with a great opportunity to get some quality pictures. Here are a few good ones that turned out, well as good as you can get with a phone camera.

Here's Dave Gahan during an earlier portion of the show, before the vest came off. The first time he came out along the walkway. You can also see the ball thingy there, though not that well. The word Angel is lit up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo71.jpg

Gahan reaching out to people in the crowd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo76.jpg

A picture with the LCD screens and keyboard players in the background. The keyboards were surrounded by these UFO looking things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo74.jpg

And a picture from the last song, where Gahan and Martin Gore came out to sing together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EvanMacD03/Photo79.jpg

---

Setlist:

A Pain That I'm Used To

John The Revelator

A Question Of Time

Policy Of Truth

Precious

Walking In My Shoes

Suffer Well

Damaged People

Home

I Want It All

The Sinner In Me

I Feel You

Behind The Wheel

World In My Eyes

Personal Jesus

Enjoy The Silence

1st Encore

Somebody

Just Can't Get Enough

Everything Counts

2nd Encore

Never Let Me Down Again

Goodnight Lovers

Edited by Moonraker

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 13 2005, 01:07 AM)
Just saw Jethro Tull last night at the historic Paramount Theatre in Oakland. Before I get into the performance, I have to comment on the beauty of the art deco inside this building, the entire wall and ceiling section is covered in brass carvings, very beautiful looking. Anyway upon entering the venue, I was given a free copy of a cd consisting of a live performance Jethro Tull did for XM radio, where they played the entire Aqualung album live. Considering a number of songs were reworked and relearned, as they hadnt been played since they were first recorded in 1971, this gave JT a bit of new (albiet old) material to pick from in thier setlist.

The set was divided into 2 halves, consisting of an acoustic beginning half, and a louder, electric final half. This half was a bit more relaxed and mellow, with a few tracks from the JT X-mas album released a couple days ago, but mostly older material. The real highlights took place in the second half though, with versions of Thick As A Brick, Budapest, and a plethra of Aqualung material. It was really interesting hearing reworked versions of Hymn 43 and Wind Up, in addition to the standard Aqualung material that has been touched before. I think the entire album was played by the end of the show.

Jethro Tull was the very first (and second) concert I have ever been to, so it was like reliving my first show all over agian. Ian cant quite hit the high notes anymore, but it still sounds incredible.

i just saw them on friday night @ the Detroit Opera House!!

Great show!! had an awesome time!!

Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994. Just after seeing my first Rush concert a few weeks before with a dreadful Candlebox opening(I have seen Rush THREE subsequent times since and were better each time), I anticipated for Pink Floyd.

I was in the nosebleeds of Foxboro Stadium but Floyd were AMAZING. David Gilmour's guitar was in fine tow and he did well singing wise as well despite flubbing Keep Talking's lyrics(instead of singing "My words won't come out right" it was "My words were not so bright"), Nick Mason was drumming like he hadn't played since the Animals tour and was superb on Astronomy Domine and Rick Wright's Hammond I swear was going to explode and his synthesizer work was brilliant.

Setlist:

Astronomy Domine(I was stoked PF chose this track to open the show as they hadn't played this since 1970 and the planets swirling onstage was superb)

Learning to Fly(seagull film in background)

DG says hi to crowd and welcome to Foxboro and the band brought the rain, and were good at it(a good chunk of the US shows had rainy days on the tour)

What Do You Want From Me(first song from The Division Bell I heard live)

On the Turning Away(was miles ahead of Delicate Sound version)

Take it Back(awesome light show on this track)

Poles Apart(the band swapped songs each night and did this Division Bell number which is a great song and the lasers during the kaleidoscope section was breathtaking)

Sorrow(stellar version, how David Gilmour's Fender Strat didn't break or go out of tune from his whammy bar use on end solo and the lights were blinding)

Keep Talking(great performance, David's voice-box solo at end was stellar)

One of These Days(killer version and had the two warthog pigs from side of stage and PYRO EXPLOSIONS galore)

Intermission

Shine On You Crazy Diamond(pts 1-5)(the screen made its first appearance)

Breathe(they pulled from archives)

Time(with Breathe Reprise)(another great film of inside of clock)

High Hopes(best Division Bell track live and the film from Storm Thorgerson was breathtaking)

The Great Gig in the Sky(was good and had a different film)

Wish You Were Here(excellent performance and crowd sang, I couldn't as I almost damaged my tonsils from screaming loudly at Rush a few weeks before)

Us and Them(had the old backdrop film and was great)

Money(with funny film of alien coming to Earth and a great version)

Another Brick in the Wall(pt. 2)(with teaser of Brick 1, Happiest Days and Goodbye Cruel World)(stellar version with Gilmour singing(like he did on record with bass player Guy Pratt substituting for Roger Waters)

DG thanked the crowd and hoped we had a great night despite the rain, cold and wind(I laughed)

Comfortably Numb(Gilmour's ending solo was amazing and the mirror ball popping from stadium floor was price of admission)

Encores

Hey You(another classic resurrected live and DG did most of singing, he sang most of track originally)

Run Like Hell(with firework display that would make KISS' use of pyro look like fizzlers)

This show plus Rush at Great Woods in 1997 I still regard as two best shows I have been to EVER!

Edited by floydfanatic111

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 2 2005, 03:22 AM)
Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994.

I agree. The Pink Floyd show of '94 was hands down the best concert I've ever seen, and I too also saw them shortly after the Rush Counterparts show. Rush is superlative, of course, but that Pink Floyd show was just exceptional. I've been a huge PF fan since 1967 and only saw them one other time, in 1972. Their loyal fans were in much smaller numbers then. It was before Dark Side came out. That was quite a memorable show as well.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming release of Pulse on DVD. 1022.gif

I'm with you, fanatic. Rush and PF are the two greatest bands to walk the face of the earth, so far.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Dec 2 2005, 04:39 AM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 2 2005, 03:22 AM)
Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994.

I agree. The Pink Floyd show of '94 was hands down the best concert I've ever seen, and I too also saw them shortly after the Rush Counterparts show. Rush is superlative, of course, but that Pink Floyd show was just exceptional. I've been a huge PF fan since 1967 and only saw them one other time, in 1972. Their loyal fans were in much smaller numbers then. It was before Dark Side came out. That was quite a memorable show as well.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming release of Pulse on DVD. 1022.gif

I'm with you, fanatic. Rush and PF are the two greatest bands to walk the face of the earth, so far.

I have been both a Floydian and Rush-head for years. I have taken the razzing for liking 2.gif as much as liking Pink Floyd without Roger Waters or Syd Barrett. My other band of my trinity of greatest bands is Queen.

2006 is shaping for great year. Pulse DVD(in time for my 30th birthday), David Gilmour's new solo effort On an Island due March 7, Queen and Paul Rodgers touring the US and new Rush album!