Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 17 2012, 09:04 PM)
I saw Def Leppard yesterday. Setlist spoilers for Poison (minor) and Def Leppard (major)

Lita Ford opened for poison: she had her ass to the crowd most of the time trying to be sexy (sorry ma'am, but you have no sex appeal left and I'm glad there were no cameras to do close ups for the projector). Between songs she kept bringing up how her new album was available. She didn't seem interested at all. It was painful to watch and painful to listen to. I had already made my round at the merch booth so I had nothing to do but sit through it.

Poison opened for Def Leppard: I don't like their songs for the most part, but I was looking forward to their last few songs on the set (unskinny bop and talk dirty to me). Bret Michaels caught me off guard. He packed a ton of energy and despite the fact that most of the music isn't exactly my cup of tea I was very much engaged and enjoyed it. Every rose has it's thorn was particularly amazing to hear live (I hadn't heard it before). The drum and guitar solos were quite impressive. I wasn't phased so much by the drumming after having seen Neil Peart's solos but I must give Poison the benefit considering Neil's amazing skill. I went in with low expectations, wound up loving it despite the crap lighting and no cameras for the projector. I was very happy.

Def Leppard: They opened with Undefeated, a song I found mediocre by studio recording, but DAMN they had style while performing it. It sounded much better live. They moved into Rocket, amazing, especially during the chorus. They keep that up during Let it Go. On comes Foolin' when suddlenly, Joe Elliot's voice dies during the chorus. Instant state of WTF. It was like the vocal track just died on the part of the song everyone wanted to hear during the song everyone wanted to hear. I didn't expect him to hit the notes, but I expected to hear the words "Is anybody out there" at a higher pitch than the chorus. Nothing came from the speakers, meanwhile on the projector you can see him forcing pretty hard with no results. It was sad to watch. Every time he had to hit a high note this happened, which completely ruined Animal, Love Bites, Hysteria, Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Armageddon it. After that he drank something and he nailed Photograph, Pour some sugar on me and Rock of Ages, but I don't think it was enough to save the concert, especially for how long they took to start the encore.

On the plus side, everything else was spot on. There was an acoustic section where every band member sat with a guitar on a box to do an acoustic medley. Thirty seconds after everyone sat down Rick Allen came on with a shaker. One of the guitarists got up and gave him his spot next to Eliot. It was a beautiful moment on stage which had some very beautiful arrangements. I loved the acoustic section.

Despite how Def Leppard exceeded my expectations of the concert going in, Elliot's shotty voice ruined almost half the setlist (all of which were the band's signature songs). The concert was good, but I left disappointed because my favorite songs were missing a vocal track and only had a picture of a struggling man on stage as compensation.

Great review...thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm seeing them in Pittsburgh on 14 August and was curious about Lita Ford and Poison.

Like you, Poison is not really my cup of tea, but will enjoy their hits in the set.

I've seen Def Leppard (one of my most favourite bands) many times and Joe must have had an off night for your show, as he has has always been spot on for the shows I've seen.

I have front row tickets for this one and am very excited, to say the least.

~Peace, RGLT

PS...for my Pittsburgh brothers and sisters, I may have an extra ticket or 2, as my sister and her husband may not be able to make the show. PM me if you are interested.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Aug 1 2012, 01:35 AM)
YES

it was surprisingly good, had a really good time

Cool. trink39.gif Did Jon Davidson sound good?

I would see them this tour, but they are not coming anywhere near. sad.gif

EDIT: saw what you posted in the Yes thread. trink39.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

I saw Mayhem fest on wednesday. This wasn't the traditional Mayhem fest with the side stages though. Our venue here doesn't like having the side stage so both last year and this year they booked the mainstage acts to play and that's it. The reason for that is because when the tour came here during it's first year back in 2008 there was a lot of trouble being caused in the crowds on the side stages. There were a lot of fights and the cops had to get called to the venue a number of times for things. So, the venue decided not book the tour here anymore until the local radio station decided they would just bring in the mainstage acts so we can at least get some form of the mayhem fest every year.

Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer and Slipknot were the only bands to play at this show and that was fine by me. Honestly, I don't give a damn about any of the other bands booked on this tour. These four are the main reasons tickets for this tour are selling so it's fine just to ge the main acts and not sit through any other bands you really don't care for.

Anthrax was up first, they've been headlining the second stage at every other show. It's strange seeing them play in reserved seating venue where people aren't moshing their bodies to death and it was really f*cked up to not see a huge pit break out during the "Wardance" part in Indians. They played a short but very good 35 minute best of set. The crowd was into them for the most part though the lawn was lame as hell as nobody was moshing at all confused13.gif Joey and Scott were even yelling at people to wake the f**k up back there to laugh.gif I know Anthrax has been essentially playing the same set staples for 20 something years now and it can get a little boring when you look at it on paper. But when you see them live they are so full of energy and bring it so well that you forget about that completely. Joey sounded great and had really good energy as he was running up and down the stage and doing his best at getting the crowd into it. Short but good performance, yet being the big fan of them that I am, I find it baffling that they played only 35 minutes while Motorhead who isn't as successful in the US as Anthrax is, played for about 50 minutes. Anthrax even had to cut out Madhouse which they had been playing at every other show. There's no reason they shouldn't have been able to play it.

Anthrax's setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anthrax/2012...ny-3dce98b.html

Next was Motorhead and i've tried to get into them before but I don't understand what metal fans find so appealing about them and why they get the praise they do? They do nothing for me and their set was boring as hell. The crowd was into them a bit but I think it had more to do with respect for Lemmy than anything else since the only songs to get a good reaction were Damge Case and Ace Of Spades. They also had a pointless drum solo to. Cut that shit out and let Anthrax or Slayer play and extra song instead 1022.gif

Motorhead setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/motorhead/20...ny-bdce98a.html

Next up was my main reason for going, Slayer. They had an awesome performance and everyting they played sounded ten times better live than in the studio. On either side of the drums they had speakers stacked up like an upsidedown cross. The speakers were just props since no sound came out of them but a lot of fire did 1022.gif The bulk of the crowd was into them but once again when I would look back at the lawn there was nobody moshing at all. Come on people, it's f*ckin Slayer for satan's sake, move your asses!! I loved their set since it was pretty much no bullshit and they just played the songs. Tom only talked twice to thank everyone for coming and he gave an intro to Mandatory Suicide and that was it. Slayer was flawless, I couldn't believe how perfect they sounded with everything. The power the songs have live is hard to describe, it absolutely floored me. It was awesome to scream out with thousands of others "God Hates Us All!!!" during Disciple firedevil.gif The people in the reserved seats were moving, singing along and headbanging hard for the whole set. Especially during the intro to Raining Blood, once that main riff kicks in it is impossible not to bang your head with all your might or stand still at all.

Slayer setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slayer/2012/...ny-bdce996.html

Slipknot closed out the night and it was obvious that the majority of the crowd was there for them since the biggest response of the night came when their intro started. They're one of those bands i've grown out of liking in recent years. A decade or so ago when they first came out, I was younger and angrier and related to them a lot better. They still put on a very good show and the crowd sang along loudly with every song. I still don't see the purpose of having nine guys in the band though. The guy in the clown mask and the dude in the mask with the long nose serve absolutely no purpose as banging on a bunch of tin cans doesn't add anything to the performance. The same can be said for the two random DJ's they have on either side of the drums. Corey Taylor as always was a very good frontman and did a great job of workng the stage and keeping the crowd going. I've seen Slipknot once before and Corey's other band, Stone Sour twice and this was the best his voice sounded. He isn't screaming the stuff off the first two albums as agressively as he used to, he's putting a little more melody and clarity into the vocals off those songs now. I tought it made the songs sound better actually. It's probably best for his voice in the long run if he sings like that now as i'm sure the way he used to scream on the first two Slipknot albums didn't do his voice any favors. Very, enjoyable show by them but unless their next album impresses me I don't plan on seeing them live again.

Slipknot setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slipknot/201...y-13dce995.html

Overall it was an enjoyable concert experience with Slayer being the highlight of the show.

Saw KISS and Motley Crude last night in Phoenix, AZ. It was around 109 degrees at showtime but it didn't affect either bands performance and energy. The venue was entirely full, with approx 18,000 all sweating in the heat but fired up for the show.

This was a f***ing Rock Concert, in the most true sense. The Crue came out and just tore the place to shreds. Their set was insane and they can all still play and sing very well. Vince Neil is a total pro and really worked his ass off. Tommy did his fair share of talking to the crowd too, even with his drum set upside down! Last thing Tommy said as they finished their set and were walking off stage was, "we love you mother f*ckers". Classic.

Their sound was good and the stage show was awesome. Great lighting, lasers, tons of Pyro, constant fog, sexy girls dancing and used as backing vocalists, lots of energy. Total rock show, loved it!

KISS came out and destroyed the joint. I feel like I went to a concert and watched a fireworks display. Man, these guys can still bring it big time. They sounded really good, hit all their notes and put on a major production. You're hard pressed to find a better front man than Paul Stanley. The guy hasn't lost anything and is the definition of "pro musician". This was the 12th time I have seen Kiss and maybe the best show ever.

Not much of a review, sorry. Just wanted to write something and say that this was a Rock Concert. If you like these bands, go see them.

Just came back from Metallica at Outside Lands. This is a gigantic festival of about 50,000 people in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park and Metallica definitely draw the majority of the crowd. There was a stage setup with giant walkways leading in the middle of the crowd in a V-shape so they could walk through the crowd. I was lucky enough to make my way about 3 feet from the barricade in front of one of the microphones and my face is melted.

Fireworks shooting through the fog straight into the air, flashbang grenades going off to mimic gunshot and explosions, pyrotechnics shooting of both on stage and behind (and above) the ~12 story main stage. On top of that, this was their setlist,

Hit the Lights

Master of Puppets

Fuel

Ride the Lightning

Fade to Black

The Memory Remains

Hell and Back

Sad But True

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Orion

One

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Creeping Death

Battery

Seek & Destroy

---

Neil Young/Foo Fighters/Beck were last night, but I'm sorry you three, Metallica destroyed everyone who has played the festival so far this year. Bring on Day 3 tomorrow!

Edited by Ultra

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 11 2012, 11:49 PM)
Saw KISS and Motley Crude last night in Phoenix, AZ. It was around 109 degrees at showtime but it didn't affect either bands performance and energy. The venue was entirely full, with approx 18,000 all sweating in the heat but fired up for the show.
This was a f***ing Rock Concert, in the most true sense. The Crue came out and just tore the place to shreds. Their set was insane and they can all still play and sing very well. Vince Neil is a total pro and really worked his ass off. Tommy did his fair share of talking to the crowd too, even with his drum set upside down! Last thing Tommy said as they finished their set and were walking off stage was, "we love you mother f*ckers". Classic.
Their sound was good and the stage show was awesome. Great lighting, lasers, tons of Pyro, constant fog, sexy girls dancing and used as backing vocalists, lots of energy. Total rock show, loved it!

KISS came out and destroyed the joint. I feel like I went to a concert and watched a fireworks display. Man, these guys can still bring it big time. They sounded really good, hit all their notes and put on a major production. You're hard pressed to find a better front man than Paul Stanley. The guy hasn't lost anything and is the definition of "pro musician". This was the 12th time I have seen Kiss and maybe the best show ever.

Not much of a review, sorry. Just wanted to write something and say that this was a Rock Concert. If you like these bands, go see them.

Awesome ...I am going to see them in 2 1/2 weeks. smile.gif

Saw Kansas today for the second time. The setlist was great - they played Song For America, Down The Road, & Cheyenne Anthem (I think it was this song - it was the one from Leftoverture that originally had the children singing), and Portrait (He Knew) along with the 2 hits and a bunch of other songs. The band sounded excellent but Steve Walsh was stuggling. His voice wasn't unlistenable but he did strain quite a bit. He's still great on keys. Billy Greer and David Ragsdale, who I think are pretty underrated, helped out on a lot of the vocals. As good as they were I'd still like to see them reunite with Livgren, Steinhardt, and Hope. All in all it was a good but short show (only 90 minutes but I'm not going to complain since it was free). It was a bit sad to see them playing fairs like this though.

The sun was shining right into the audience so I only took a few of pictures. This is the only one that came out good.

http://i.imgur.com/twyrA.jpg

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Rockin in the Park, Clumber Park, nr Mansfield, 17 Aug 2012

I was lucky enough to win two tickets for this on my local radio station, an evening of, largely, prog rock including some bands/musicians I've wanted to see for a long time but never had the choice. For most of the day, the weather was terrible with some quite heavy rain but, as my friend and I, made our way to the venue, it began to clear up.

Due to various circumstances, we missed opening band, The Strawbs, and actually arrived just as Curved Air were starting their set, running through 'It Happened Today.' Having had my sister play me the Curved Air Live album way back when I was 11 years old, and being totally in love with Sonja Kristina, the Air were one of the bands I wanted to see despite not being greatly familiar with a lot of their back catalogue. I have to say that they did not disapoint. The band were tight with Sonja proving despite the fact she is now 63, her voice is as good as ever. Songs like 'Melinda More or Less', 'Marie Antoinette', 'Propositions' and 'Young Mother' were given an airing along with the, obvious, 'Back Street Luv'. All in all, I have to say they were one of the highlights of the day, heightened by the fact I was able to meet the lady herself afterwards, finding her to be a pleasant, polite and very friendly person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN1fI9CAebE

Next up was the Carl Palmer Band. Being a fan of both ELP and Asia, he was another I had wanted to see for a long time. Taking the stage with a power trio of guitar/bass/drums, they immediately kicked into 'Peter Gunn' followed by a great version of Toccata. the highlight came next when, without keyboards or any other assistance, they did an amazing arrangement of 'Pictures at an Exhibition'. Rounding off with a rousing run through of 'Fanfare For the Common Man', it was a virtuoso performance, not least from the legend himself.

Next up were Focus who provided a mixture of great music and humour. Another band whose back catalogue I'm only just getting to grips with, they didn't disappoint giving run throughs of classics like 'House of the King', Sylvia' and 'Eruption' before ending with a breakneck rendition of 'Hocus Pocus'. Sadly, Jan Akkerman and Cyril Havermans are no longer a part of the band but there replacements, Menno Gootjes and Bobby Jacobs step up admirably. Pierre van der Linden and Thijs van Leer (who now looks like Harry Secombe) lend the line up a degree of authenticity and are as good as ever.

Brit Floyd came next. There had been some grumbling about the presence of a tribute band so high on the bill but, for me, this was swept away as, as the sun set behind us, 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' filled the air. The set, drawn from 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'The Wall' (wot! No Animals? wink.gif ) was performed with skill ans respect. As there is little chance we'll ever see the proper Pink Floyd again, this was the next best thing.

Finally Hawkwind took the stage. It has got be over 20 years since I saw the Hawks live but, despite the almost total change of personnel, it was as if little had changed. There was the usual crunching riffs overlaid by bubbling synth and, now, Tim Blake's theramin. 'Damnation Alley', Sonic Attack' and 'Arrival in Utopia' were among the tracks given an airing. There were the usual on stage dancers and good light show that, to me, are among the hallmarks of Hawkwind live. Sadly, they were unable to return for a deserved encore as the curfew had been reached but that was only a minor detail.

All in all, it was an enjoyable evening. the weather, for the most part, stayed fine with only the occasional shower. the organisation was good with helpful and friendly staff and, above all,FREE PARKING, located very close to the concert area. The only real downside was the sparse crowd, probably due to lack of promotion (that seemed to be reserved for the 80s pap, sorry pop, available the next day). Still, hopefully there was enough of an interest to justify the plans to make this an annual event.

Iron Maiden w/Coheed and Cambria

Sat. Aug 18th Houston Texas at The Woodlands

Wow, what a show last night in Houston Texas... got back in not too long ago, and will give you a rundown in just a bit.. but a few short words about the venue.. The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion is an excellent venue that Ive been too a few times...the area around is large and there was plenty to do before the show. (Shops and Food) and if you get in early enough you can get some free parking in the Mall and Market Street areas and no one will say anything about it... that is what I did..

I also got lucky on a tour shirt as well... Tour shirts were high at the show at $40, but however the day before the show I saw that Hot Topic were selling tour shirts in the store... only for 22 bucks... on Tax free weekend.... what a steal! So with free parking and getting a shirt cheap I saved about $40 for last night's show... Hell Yeah...

I have been to opening shows for tour before, and that is always a great experience, but never a closing night of a show, the audience was large, fierce, and loyal, and is every bit as special as an opening night.... had an absolute blast and aside from one issue (which I will talk about at the end of this review) this was one of the best shows I've been too... but now on to the actual performances

------------------Coheed and Cambria-------------------

Coheed killed it, as they usually do. One does not simply "open for Maiden", you need to have an edge and intensity that warrants doing such, and this young band took that metal ring into the fires of Mordor and absolutely gave it their all.. Their set comprised of mainly their "hits" and heavier songs (for obvious "opening for Maiden" reasons) so tracks like "In Keeping Secrets Silent Earth 3" "The Running Free", and "Welcome Home" were to be expected and welcome, but offered little in the way of surprises, aside from a stellar cover of Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" that was well received even by those unfamiliar with Coheed.

Speaking of which, Coheed for the most part were well received by Iron Maiden's Crowd. And while most of the audience was not yet in their seats or unfamiliar with the band, they got good cheers. Still there were a fair few number of people (such as myself) who were familiar and/or fans of Coheed and Cambria that were rocking the whole time..

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/393834_2351216516139_763721128_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/530985_2351216756145_188422902_n.jpg

--------------------IRON MAIDEN------------------

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/309197_2351216876148_997206485_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/224234_2351216996151_1144410300_n.jpg

-Expectations are always high when seeing Iron Maiden, there's a standard to live up to and Thankfully Iron Maiden lived up to that standard and gave a phenomenal performance for the final show of the tour. The intensity was very high and energetic from Bruce to Dave, and Adrian to Steve everyone was on the top of their game and giving the audience their money's worth. The crowd was on fire as mentioned before, and constantly engaged by the band (notably Dickinson), hands and horns constantly in the air, headbanging rampant, singing along to the songs....ect you could not ask for a better band and audience relationship. I particularly was VERY impressed with the energy put forward by Bruce Dickinson, I did not see the man slow down the entire performance, and was constantly running from stage left to stage right, from the elevated platform to the front of the stage, jumping off speakers and lighting equipment as he's always done since the early days ALL on top of putting on an amazing vocal performance, but if you mention that he is also a man of 54, it leaves you nothing but impressed..

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/523164_2351218236182_1013578703_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/297073_2351219356210_1052239244_n.jpg

-The Setlist was fantastic....

Moonchild

Can I Play With Madness

The Prisoner

2 Minutes to Midnight

Afraid to Shoot Strangers

The Trooper

The Number of the Beast

Phantom of the Opera

Run to the Hills

Wasted Years

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

The Clairvoyant

Fear of the Dark

Iron Maiden

Encore:

Aces High

The Evil That Men Do

Running Free

In honor of the Live album that bears the tour's name (Maiden England) nothing after Fear of the Dark was played honoring the band's first 8 albums, which left me spellbound. The standard tracks were of corse amazing, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Running Free (at an awesome show close), Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden and especially Fear of the Dark were always welcome.. but some of the standouts for me were a few of the deeper tracks and tracks off the first album.. "Phantom of the Opera", and extened "Seventh Son of a Seventh son" and "The Clairvoyant" were just as draw dropping as any of their main stays... now excuse me while I run to dimeadozen and find a boot of this show...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/422544_2351219076203_1098752371_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/319319_2351219716219_1209621758_n.jpg

- The Stage Setup

Now here's where I start compiling, not due to the fact that Iron Maiden had a poor stage performance, no, to the contrary it was very well put together, the props, the pyrotechnics, Eddy, and the overall layout of the show was fantastic, but sadly, I only got to see about a third of it and had to rely (thankfully) on the monitors displaying the show... As you can tell by the photos here, MY seat f***ing sucked, I was as far right as you can go and 2/3 of the view was obscured by the equipment on stage. Iron Maiden is always an act who's known to put together an excellent live show, and have especially been praised for the presentation this tour... It irks me that I did not get the full experience, but It did not ruin the show for me in no way, shape, or form... The Raw Energy by the band, the amazing musicianship, and excellent setlist made the night a very enjoyable experience and one that will be hard to live up to...

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/483981_2351218876198_1639247575_a.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/403975_2351219156205_2033071272_n.jpg

Thanks for Reading

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Aug 21 2012, 10:07 PM)
How do you guys remember setlists from concerts?

Either you pay attention or look up the setlist online.

I'll see how well I remember Tom Petty 2 years ago.

(Not in order)

Kings Highway

You Don't Know How It Feels

Running Man's Bible

I Should Have Known It

Jefferson Jericho Blues

Free Falling

I Won't Back Down

American Girl

Running Down A Dream

Oh Well

Don't Come Around Here No More

Good Enough

Listen To Her Heart

You Don't Know How It Feels

I Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

Oh Well

Mary Jane's Last Dance

Kings Highway

Breakdown

Jefferson Jericho Blues

Good Enough

Running Man's Bible

I Should Have Known It

Learning To Fly

Don't Come Around Here No More

Refugee

Runnin' Down A Dream

American Girl

I got most of it, but I didn't want to just guess since there were a lot of Greatest Hits

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 21 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Aug 21 2012, 09:07 PM)
How do you guys remember setlists from concerts?

setlist.fm

yes.gif

Or you can go to a bands message board like this one wink.gif and read the current tour reviews. The internet is your friend when it comes to these things, take advantage of all it has to offer new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Saw Blue Oyster Cult on Friday night, they absolutely sucked. The set list sucked, the performance sucked, zero professionalism, annoying 10 minute guitar solos every song. 35% of the place was gone by song 5. They looked like an old garage band trying to play Blue Oyster Cult.

A little Canadian band that America never discovered called TROOPER blew BOC out of the water. I am a huge BOC fan of 30 years, it was the first and last time I would waste $$$ on them in concert. I was not a TROOPER fan until Friday night. They rocked. Oh Canada !!! Blew Oyster Cult was a sad embarrassment. wtf.gif

Going to see John Fogerty, then the boys in October.

AD (still in shock)

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Aug 28 2012, 11:14 PM)
Saw Blue Oyster Cult on Friday night, they absolutely sucked. The set list sucked, the performance sucked, zero professionalism, annoying 10 minute guitar solos every song. 35% of the place was gone by song 5. They looked like an old garage band trying to play Blue Oyster Cult.

A little Canadian band that America never discovered called TROOPER blew BOC out of the water. I am a huge BOC fan of 30 years, it was the first and last time I would waste $$$ on them in concert. I was not a TROOPER fan until Friday night. They rocked. Oh Canada !!! Blew Oyster Cult was a sad embarrassment.  wtf.gif

AD (still in shock)

Really ?

They are having a free concert at Rib America Fest in Indy Monday , them and Cheap Trick are the last 2 bands.

I thought about going to see BOC (I've seen Cheap Trick a couple of times) but if a 30 year fan says they suck I may have to skip it.

Edited by nappy2112

Saw Hollywood Nights (Bob Seger tribute) and Roger Hodgson (of Supertramp) last week in Blue Ash. Great concert! 1022.gif

Roger's voice was amazing! ohmy.gif Although he sort of lost the audience at "Death and the Zoo" laugh.gif That was also the point at which a really high (drunk?) guy started dancing around in the aisle near my friend and I. Everyone got real mad at him... laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Aug 28 2012, 11:14 PM)

A little Canadian band that America never discovered called TROOPER blew BOC out of the water. I am a huge BOC fan of 30 years, it was the first and last time I would waste $$$ on them in concert. I was not a TROOPER fan until Friday night. They rocked. Oh Canada !!! Blew Oyster Cult was a sad embarrassment.  wtf.gif

AD (still in shock)

I saw them last year but Eric Bloom was sick so he didn't play the show. It was pretty much the Buck Dharma band. I thought they played a decent show despite the fact that they were missing one of the most important members. Rudy Sarzo was great on bass but I don't think he's with them anymore.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 11 2012, 11:49 PM)

I went last Saturday and it was bombastic !! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Aug 29 2012, 03:14 PM)

ohmy.gif

So I saw Katatonia and Devin Townsend last night at the El Rey Theater in L.A. There were two other bands before them, but I didn't care enough to see them. Anyways, it was a pretty nice venue and wasn't too crowded when I came in. I managed to get a pretty decent spot near the front a little off to the side. After a 10-15 minute wait, Katatonia hit the stage and busted out some great tunes like Dead Letters, Forsaker, Deliberation, and of course My Twin. They even threw in a few rarities with Walking by a Wire and Deadhouse, the latter of which I was totally unfamiliar with until I youtubed it after the show. After Katatonia's amazing performance, we had to wait about 20-30 minutes for Devin's crew to set up. However, the wait wasn't boring at all because of the hilarious clips they were showing on the on-stage screen. Then the lights went down again and the mighty Hevy Devy took to the stage. He and his band got off to a phenomenal start with Supercrush which is one of my all-time favorite songs of his. The rendition of Kingdom was superb and the addition of Regulator in the set had me headbanging like nobody's business. The Epicloud songs worked especially well in the live setting, even Lucky Animals which I wasn't particularly fond of when I first heard it. It was also great hearing Bad Devil which is so danceable yet headbangable at the same time. Devin's banter kept the show lively in between songs and clearly demonstrated how awesome a person he is besides being an incredibly talented musician. The only downside of his set was Planet of the Apes. I enjoyed a few parts of it, but I found myself bored throughout most of it. I would have really preferred Awake to that song. However, compared to how awesome everything else was, it's only a minor imperfection and I still had a blast. If this show is coming near you, I highly suggest you check it out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Sep 9 2012, 03:02 PM)
So I saw Katatonia and Devin Townsend last night at the El Rey Theater in L.A. There were two other bands before them, but I didn't care enough to see them. Anyways, it was a pretty nice venue and wasn't too crowded when I came in. I managed to get a pretty decent spot near the front a little off to the side. After a 10-15 minute wait, Katatonia hit the stage and busted out some great tunes like Dead Letters, Forsaker, Deliberation, and of course My Twin. They even threw in a few rarities with Walking by a Wire and Deadhouse, the latter of which I was totally unfamiliar with until I youtubed it after the show. After Katatonia's amazing performance, we had to wait about 20-30 minutes for Devin's crew to set up. However, the wait wasn't boring at all because of the hilarious clips they were showing on the on-stage screen. Then the lights went down again and the mighty Hevy Devy took to the stage. He and his band got off to a phenomenal start with Supercrush which is one of my all-time favorite songs of his. The rendition of Kingdom was superb and the addition of Regulator in the set had me headbanging like nobody's business. The Epicloud songs worked especially well in the live setting, even Lucky Animals which I wasn't particularly fond of when I first heard it. It was also great hearing Bad Devil which is so danceable yet headbangable at the same time. Devin's banter kept the show lively in between songs and clearly demonstrated how awesome a person he is besides being an incredibly talented musician. The only downside of his set was Planet of the Apes. I enjoyed a few parts of it, but I found myself bored throughout most of it. I would have really preferred Awake to that song. However, compared to how awesome everything else was, it's only a minor imperfection and I still had a blast. If this show is coming near you, I highly suggest you check it out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

I saw this concert on Wednesday, the first band Stolen Babies was the highlight of the show imo. Katatonia and Paradise Lost were boring.

Don't know about Stolen Babies or Paradise Lost, but Katatonia were awesome even if they weren't as energetic as Devin. I definitely wouldn't call their performance boring. But I guess we'll just agree to disagree. smile.gif