Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (Ultra @ Apr 16 2010, 03:43 AM)
WOW!

Went to see Thom Yorke's solo band tonight, and shit was f***ing crazy.  Not only did we get an extra song inserted into Thom's solo set, (he usually does 3, but we were given 4), but we got a second encore.  Never before have I been to a show where after the band leaves the stage, after the lights go on, after the house music comes on, not a single person has left the theatre and everone is still screaming and stomping.  We stood there nearly 10 minutes raising hell.  At one point a stagehand tried to come on stage to dismantle the gear and we booed him off.  Then the band finally came back on to play a Joy Division cover and everyone went nuts. 

This was one of the best shows I have seen in a LONG time.

Setlist:
The Eraser
Analyse
The Clock
Black Swan
Skip Divided
Atoms For Peace
And It Rained All Night
Harrowdown Hill
Cymbal Rush

Encore 1:
Open The Floodgates (Thom Yorke solo, Skirting on the Surface false start before)
Skirting On the Surface (Thom Yorke solo)
Airbag (Thom Yorke solo on acoustic guitar)
The Daily Mail
Paperbag Writer (Radiohead cover)
Judge, Jury and Executioner
The Hollow Earth
Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses

Encore 2:
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division cover)

I'm jealous. yes.gif

Sounds like it was a great show. If he ever tours and he comes nearby I've got to see him. That also means that I've got to give The Eraser several listens, as well as The Bends and OK Computer... and I also need to get the rest of Radiohead's catalog.

I went to Coachella this weekend, which was absolutely incredible. Best three days of the year every year. Here's who I saw:

FRIDAY:

*Yeasayer (terrific)

*She & Him (decent, not great, but I'm not one to turn down a chance to look at Zooey Deschanel for 45 minutes)

*Gil-Scott Heron (didn't catch his whole set, but that's somebody you don't get to see very often. Pretty cool)

*Them Crooked Vultures (this was an absolutely brutal call between them and Grizzly Bear, but TCV killed)

*LCD Soundsystem (really, really fun. New songs sounded great live)

*Jay-Z (really, really good. Brought Beyonce out at the end too)

SATURDAY:

*Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes (really fun)

*The xx (I was iffy on them before, but they won me over. Very good live)

*Faith No More (only saw the last 20 minutes of their set. I'm not a fan of theirs but they were pretty entertaining live)

*Muse (f***ing awesome, as expected)

*Die Antwoord (ENTER THE NINJA!!!!!!!!!)

*DEVO (sounded good, only caught a few songs)

SUNDAY:

*Owen Pallet (really fun to watch, it was just one dude up onstage looping different parts on an electric violin)

*Deerhunter (great)

*Sunny Day Real Estate (the surprise of the weekend for me, I had never listened to them before but I was really impressed with their set)

*Jonsi (really good, I'd love to see Sigur Ros live someday)

*Phoenix (awesome, lots of energy)

*Thom Yorke (otherworldly)

*Gorillaz (amazing, best show of the weekend)

^^ Yeah, I'm jealous. laugh.gif

The summer before I start my senior year of high school, I want to go up to Bonnaroo, because it's in the summer, and it's close to me. Also I'll be old enough to drive up there by myself, though (if the other person pays) I may bring someone. Can't really afford to fly out to California for Coachella, though I'd really love to.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 21 2010, 07:07 PM)
^^ Yeah, I'm jealous. laugh.gif

The summer before I start my senior year of high school, I want to go up to Bonnaroo, because it's in the summer, and it's close to me. Also I'll be old enough to drive up there by myself, though (if the other person pays) I may bring someone. Can't really afford to fly out to California for Coachella, though I'd really love to.

Bonnaroo's lineups are usually a little on the Phish/Dave Matthews side for my tastes but I've heard that's a great time as well.

Coachella 2010

Friday:

DJ Lance Rock - Great fun start to the weekend

Yeasayer - Awesome. Packed but awesome

She & Him - A very enjoyable set. Zooey Deschanel is reason alone to watch

The Specials - Probably the biggest surprise of the day. They're old but they still got it. Great set and had a ton of fun

Grizzly Bear - WOW!!!!

LCD Soundsystem - Awesome

Vampire Weekend - They've improved their live show quite a bit in the past two years. Awesome energy, awesome crowd, really solid fun set and a great light snow too.

Jay-Z - He brought it. He brought it so hard and he absolutely killed it. I went in with good expectations but certainly did not expect him to be one of my top acts of the weekend. This guy is absolutely amazing live

Saturday:

Porcupine Tree - Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. SO glad they got a set time that allowed me to see them with literally no conflicts. Always wonderful live

Portugal. The Man - First time seeing them. What a treat

Girls - Enjoyable set. Loved the album

Temper Trap - Fun. Surpisingly good live

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - AWESOME! This band is going to breakthrough...soon. The whole set was one huge sing-a-long

The XX - I had heard mixed reviews and was skeptical especially due to them being on the outdoor during the day and worried about major soundbleed. But once the music started I was on another planet. Great set

Coheed and Cambria - Caught the last three songs (Pearl of the Stars, In Keeping Secrets, and Welcome Home) and enjoyed it but nothing special.....UNTIL at the second verse of Welcome Home the f***ing USC marching band comes out. I'll just say they ended on a high note...

Hot Chip - Isanely Fun

MGMT - Awesome. Packed but the new stuff sounded great live. So. Many. Hipsters

Muse - f***ing amazing as usual but was nothing special compared to the Oakland show I had seen a few days ago with their full production.

The Dead Weather - Insane and intense. Raw and heavy. Allison Mosshart is amazing but f**k Tiesto

2ManyDJ's - Great way to close out Saturday. Lots of fun. Killed it

Sunday:

Owen Pallett - WOW

Deerhunter - Great set even though I feel like they got stuck with a shitty time slot. I enjoyed it.

Matt & Kim - Yes, I was convinced to skip Yo La Tengo and Sunny Day Real Estate to see this...but it ended up being one of the funnest sets i've ever seen. Just came out feeling GREAT.

Jonsi - WOW

Phoenix - This band seriously knows how to put on a show. They destroyed it.

Orbital - 50 minutes of insanity. WOW. Absolutely mindblowing set.

Thom Yorke and Atoms for Peace - The real headliners of the night (in my opinion). Incredible. Even better than when I saw them at the Orpheum. and solo acoustic versions of Airbag and EIIRP

Gorillaz - The biggest set of the weekend that we were all anticipating. Damon Albarn definitely delivered and completely killed it. Last Living Souls will live in my head forever. One of the best sets of the weekend. Only complaint was the ending. Way to go from Feel Good to Feel Depressed. Other than that, amazing.

Probably the best weekend of my life.

Edited by theworkingman

Allan Holdsworth - Ronnie Scott's - London

Backed by Jimmie Johnson on bass and Garry Husband on drums. Awesome gig - I'm not a musician myself but even I could tell these guys are from a different planet. Husband's drumming was amongst the most passionate and intense I've ever seen. A lot of drooling all round in the audience which, being Ronnie Scott's, did have a high quotient of jazz and fusion fanatics.

Holdsworth is a really generous guy with other musicians. Lots of spotlights for Husband and Johnson - not so much solos but extended breakdowns within the overall structure of the song.

Saw AH at the Jazz Cafe last year with Chad Wackerman which was superb but this gig just shaded it.

From Tick's Stevie thread......

Stevie is the greatest showman I've ever seen. So there.

I go to roughly 2 or 3 gigs a month and have been for years and I've never gone through such a, dare I say it, religious experience as I did last night.

Thanks to shocking traffic, and most car parks full or closed, we parked illegally down a side road and ran to our seats. Just in time.

Out shuffles the man, regal in electric blue, playing a solo on the keytar. The night was dedicated to Michael Jackson, peace on earth and love. From anyone else's mouth I'd have dismissed this as nonsense. But it's Stevie. He can say what he likes. The band were superb, tight but loose. They went from jazz to blues to soul to a bit of calypso at the drop of a drumstick.

Stevie had the crowd exactly where he wanted them from the off. I've never seen such confidence wrapped in humility before. He joked with the crowd all night, lapsing into Irish patois to blaxploitation movie speak to seemingly helium induced time machine Little Stevie talk.

He even made I Just Called To Say I Love You bearable, it's still a shocker, but I was so caught up in the moment, I loved it, roaring out every lyric like a street corner preacher, expectorating every syllable like it was gospel truth. If my 16 year old self saw me, he'd have kicked me in the shins.

The 2 hours 15 minutes flew, there were truckloads of special moments, I'll list a few:

- breaking into Empire State of Mind

- Michael Jackson's Why, with Stevie on Harmonica

- Uptight, Signed Sealed Delivered, and a raucous Fingertips

- Higher Ground, Happy Birthday(the crowd singing), Sir Duke(I nearly went insane)

- Superstition - everyone went nuts

- My Cherie Amour, Isn't She Lovely - so beautiful

There's more, once I see a setlist, I'll revisit this. Mind is shot, little or no sleep.

He finished with a local choir, urging us to love each other, and then he was gone, leaving the 3 percussionists on the stage whacking out a heady beat.

Around an hour in, a rather inebriated lady accidentally spilled a beer down the back of my shirt. I hardly noticed.

As we filed out, this loud Dubliner was behind us, "Ah yeah, bleedin' deadly show, there's one guy who's a notch higher though. (I waited for this nugget to spew from his Guinness drenched throat). Yeah, Billy Joel".

Sweet Jesus.

Revolution's coming. Wear a helmet.

I caught the last DT/Iron Maiden show of their North American Tour last week.

I took my 19 y/o son, who is a monster Maiden fan, just like I was when I was 19. It was the first time seeing them for both of us, and we had pit ticks! trink39.gif

As we were walking through the nasty gravel lot in Bristow, VA, a crazy thunderstorm blew in. DT starts playing while we're still in line to get in. Hail starts pelting us in the head, and there's no cover to stand under. (Quite an ominous start for the show, lightning and hail, eh?)

We get in and head straight for the pit to get our bracelets before the piece of paper we're holding turns to mush. We stand back and don't push. Just taking in the spectacle. And spectacle it was too.

Sorry to you DT fans out there, but their performance was uninspired and disappointing. For some reason, the singer left the stage whenever he wasn't singing. At least 4 times on the first song. He wasn't as bad as I remembered him however, I give him that much credit. The guitarist, who looks like Dave Groehl on steroids, is a great player. I know this. But his talent was not on display this night. Lacklustre is the kindest description I could attach to his performance. OK, and the keyboardist needs to shave that beard because Scott Ian has a patent on it. No one wears beards like ZZ Top, right? Ian is in this category. As for his playing, he was so low in the mix I didn't really hear him that much.

The bright spots were the bass player and Portnoy, who played w/ a great deal of zest. Those two were the only ones that looked like they wanted to be on stage. The bass player was playing a Chapman stick for the entire set. Portnoy was more interactive w/ the crowd than the singer.

Truly, I apologize to you DT fans out there, but they were hopelessly bland. I didn't even bother trying to get the set list, as I recognized none of what they were playing, and didn't really care for any of it.

Then for the main event, my son and I pushed up very close to the stage (we started up there as soon as DT stopped playing.) Every time the crowd started pogo-ing, we got even closer, until we were about three tightly-packed rows back.

In contrast to DT, Maiden delivered the goods, big time. It was extremely hot, everyone drenched from rain and sweat, including the band. Gers looked a little pale, but everyone else was hitting on all cylinders. Bruce was everywhere, constantly jumping around and interacting w/ the crowd.

Spoiler alert for European fans! Do not continue.

Additionally, the set list was fantastic:

1. The Wicker Man

2. Ghost of the Navigator

3. Wrathchild

4. El Dorado (new)

5. Dance of Death

6. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

7. These Colours don't Run

8. Blood Brothers

9. Wildest Dreams

10. No More Lies

11. Brave New World

12. Fear of the Dark

13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. Number of the Beast

15. Hallowed be thy Name

16. Running Free

Great and long set list. Met lots of really cool people. Many of them drove long distances, SC, NC, GA, etc. This venue was the southernmost of the tour, excepting a few dates in TX. Just like my son and I, most of them were seeing Maiden for the first time and were pumped. It was a blast. Everyone in the pit went over like dominoes when the band threw their various paraphernalia to the crowd. It was pretty funny, primarily because everyone went down, and nobody got hurt. trink39.gif

All you Maiden fans in Europe, don't miss this tour.

I saw John Mayer last night. He is really incredible. Im so sick of people hating on him because of the dumb stuff he says. That doesnt take away from how talented he is. I didnt know a few of the songs he played, but he played a few of my faves, including Vultures and his cover of Free Fallin'. While playing Half of my Heart, at the end he broke into Dreams by Fleetwood Mac(which is perfect since he was playing his Lindsey Buckingham signature guitar) then into Don't Stop Believin'. I really loved it. He is a great showman and seems to me, from things he said, to be quite down to earth and humble.

If you like good musicians and dont mind a bunch of screaming girls, i highly recommend going to see him. My husband admires him as a guitar player, so thats how i dragged him there lol

I saw Macca with my wife and friend Sun night in Philly. Amazing show, had a tear run down my cheek for like 5 songs! Very emotional night. It was like with Rush on the TM tour when they played Workin' Them Angels. I realize there's a tear half way down my face and i'm like, i'm having a religious moment. But i guess it was just emotional. I was raised on The Beatles, and Paul McCartney and Wings. 1985 got me. Half way through it i'm like, it's happening again. My Love got me, cause Paul dedicated the song to all the lovers in the house, and me wifey puts her head on my shoulder through it wub.gif Letting Go rocked! Paul's voice was in great shape. And so was the rest of him- he never left the stage until the encore, and played almost 3 hours, like 36 songs. His two Fireman songs, Sing the Changes & Highway were raucous in the best way- much more lively on stage than on record. Pitty the fools who pissed through either of those songs- I saw them getting up! But, can't fault them really- Macca is a machine, not taking a sip of water throughout the entire show. Live and Let Die was as lively as ever, with fire! Not like Rush's giant flamethrowers, but good fire and fireworks as always. Wish we would have heard Mull of Kintyre, but I think he only plays that overseas cause it didn't chart well in the States. It was a massively amazing show, and a spectical to behold. 1022.gif Paul is great notworthy.gif Paul da man!!! trink38.gif A show not to be missed by one or all trink39.gif

I saw Kiss this past Saturday in Bristow. They were great as usual. I had a blast (sober too...a first!) The best part was my daughter went with us and loved it. I can't think of a better first concert for a kid, but she loves Kiss anyway so I figured she'd have a good time. She insisted on standing all night and throwing up the horns. So proud. common001.gif

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/stormtron/kiss82110.png

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 24 2010, 11:45 AM)
I saw Kiss this past Saturday in Bristow. They were great as usual. I had a blast (sober too...a first!) The best part was my daughter went with us and loved it. I can't think of a better first concert for a kid, but she loves Kiss anyway so I figured she'd have a good time. She insisted on standing all night and throwing up the horns. So proud. common001.gif

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/stormtron/kiss82110.png

Took my youngest to see them in Indy a few weeks ago....great show!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 29 2010, 11:27 PM)
Just got back from the Jon Anderson acoustic show. He put on a great show and played guitar, piano, ukelele, and sitar. The opener was Lisa Bouchelle who performed an acoustic set. Overall, a very good show.

I swear, I'm gonna find a way to go to his show in Atlanta. Money may be tight but the tickets are something like $30 and it's on a Sunday night so I've got all that time to spend in Atlanta or whatever.

Saw Dave Matthews Band a few nights ago in Boise. Say what you will, but those guys are righteous musicians! Good show. They played for around 2 1/2 hours. If you get the chance to see them, take it! I wasn't going to go, but a friend called me with an extra ticket. Glad I went! cool.gif

My 10 yr. old son and I saw Green Day on Sept 2 in San Diego....

Old school punk....Lots of energy....Lots of fun

It was my son's first concert.....on the way home he fell asleep in his new Green Day shirt and in the morning told me it was the best night of his life.....until a new best night happens.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Sep 5 2010, 01:29 AM)
My 10 yr. old son and I saw Green Day on Sept 2 in San Diego....

Old school punk....Lots of energy....Lots of fun

It was my son's first concert.....on the way home he fell asleep in his new Green Day shirt and in the morning told me it was the best night of his life.....until a new best night happens.

I've seen five large concerts (Rush 3 times, Muse once, and Green Day once) and I believe that the Green Day concert I went to last year was the greatest concert experience of my life. Every little thing was awesome... I'd love to be able to top that show, but it looks like a stretch.

I just want to say how happy I am that I went to the second night of Muse at Staples Center. I thought hearing MK Ultra was incredible the first night.

I've seen them twice so far on the Resistance tour (Oakland, Coachella) and 6 times combined but these past two nights (specifically night 2):

I have NEVER seen the band like this before and if this is the kind of show they treat their U.K fans to nightly then I have to say that I am incredibly jealous. Matt and Dom both talked a lot over the course of both nights and the crowds were incredible.

Bliss

Ruled by Secrecy

The outro to Stockholm Syndrome on night 2 (The longest Muse jam in history) was so heavy and amazing. Matt was tearing shit up. Even Neutron Star Collision was great. Absolutely incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpzvUPbbivQ...player_embedded

Stockholm Syndrome Outro

I saw Built to Spill on Saturday night in Richmond (at The National - best venue around!) and they were amazing. I love that their setlist varies every night. They played a long set with some nice surprises including a cover of Ripple and two acoustic songs from Doug's solo album (said they had never done that before, felt special.)

Traces

Stab

Kicked It in the Sun

Time Trap

Hindsight

Else

You Were Right

Ripple (Grateful Dead cover)

The Weather

Life's A Dream

Big Dipper

Carry the Zero

Encore:

Dream

Offer

Twin Falls

Some

Virginia Reel Around the Fountain (The Halo Benders cover)

Videos:

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 11 2010, 10:46 AM)
I saw Built to Spill on Saturday night in Richmond (at The National - best venue around!) and they were amazing. I love that their setlist varies every night. They played a long set with some nice surprises including a cover of Ripple and two acoustic songs from Doug's solo album (said they had never done that before, felt special.)

Traces
Stab
Kicked It in the Sun
Time Trap
Hindsight
Else
You Were Right
The Weather
Life's A Dream
Big Dipper
Carry the Zero

Encore:

Dream
Offer
Twin Falls
Some

Videos:

Dream
The Weather
Time Trap / another view of Dream with better sound

Fantastic!!!! Saw them support Dinosaur Jr this year. Blew them off the stage.

Hindsight is so goddamn perfect.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 11 2010, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 11 2010, 10:46 AM)

Traces
Stab
Kicked It in the Sun
Time Trap
Hindsight
Else
You Were Right
The Weather
Life's A Dream
Big Dipper
Carry the Zero

Encore:

Dream
Offer
Twin Falls
Some

Videos:

Dream
The Weather
Time Trap / another view of Dream with better sound

Fantastic!!!! Saw them support Dinosaur Jr this year. Blew them off the stage.

Hindsight is so goddamn perfect.

trink39.gif

Indeed it is, definitely a highlight for me. The whole thing was moving.

Saw Anberlin last night at a small club called the Knitting Factory in Boise, ID. They were incredible! So much energy...good, solid musicians playing some great music! I enjoyed every second of it. The two bands they had opening for them (Civil Twilight and The Crash Kings) were good, but the house mix was crummy with them for some reason and it was hard to hear anything besides drums and bass.

I am going to see Coheed and Cambria tonight (10/15) in the same venue. Should be a blast! 1022.gif

Saw Coheed and Cambria last night at the Knitting Factory in Boise, ID. It was fun...good energy from the band. I love seeing bands in small venues like that. It's intimate, and the band feeds off of the crowd so much more, it seems. 1022.gif

Anyway, they are awesome live. If you get the chance to see them, do it. The tickets were pretty cheap...only around $20-$25.