Concert Reviews

Disco

Heaven and Hell - London Wembley Arena 10th November

Excellent performance - particularly Dio's singing and Iommi's playing. The later Dio era stuff, e.g Dehumaniser material really stood up well against Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules cuts.

Lamb of God supported and although I thought it wouldn't be my thing they were impressive. First time I've been able to see the appeal of that type of vocals (shout/throat delivery). The music is so powerful that it needs something a little abnormal.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Nov 12 2007, 11:10 AM)
Lamb of God supported and although I thought it wouldn't be my thing they were impressive. First time I've been able to see the appeal of that type of vocals (shout/throat delivery). The music is so powerful that it needs something a little abnormal.

Must admit I had more fun watching the notorious Wembley security "fun police" trying to break up the mosh pits than the actual performance by Lamb of God laugh.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Nov 12 2007, 08:31 AM)

Must admit I had more fun watching the notorious Wembley security "fun police" trying to break up the mosh pits than the actual performance by Lamb of God laugh.gif

True - and I hadn't realised there are different types of mosh pit for different songs. The circle pit was admittedly more like children playing ring-a-roses though. In fact from what I could see most of them were children. I suspect the Download experience he referred to was somewhat different.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Nov 12 2007, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Nov 12 2007, 08:31 AM)

True - and I hadn't realised there are different types of mosh pit for different songs. The circle pit was admittedly more like children playing ring-a-roses though. In fact from what I could see most of them were children. I suspect the Download experience he referred to was somewhat different.

Very probably. I'm not entirely sure what the security guys were hoping to achieve. I think they singled out one person and threw them out but, apart from that, as soon as they walked away it all started up again laugh.gif

No idea what the song was called, but the one where a big area cleared and then they all charged into the middle of it was hilarious laugh.gif

Ok, my third T.S.O. is in the books, the perfect blend of hard rock meets classical. It really is the perfect marriage. It was as usual, visually stunning, musically brilliant, thoroughly entertaining ! If you have not experianced this show, your missing out greatly. 1022.gif

Heaven and Hell - London Wembley Arena 10th November

Excellent performance - particularly Dio's singing and Iommi's playing. The later Dio era stuff, e.g Dehumaniser material really stood up well against Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules cuts.

Saw the show at Manchester...The band were on fire........Here's a couple of pics

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Img7362.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Img7305.jpg

Trentemoller - The Forum, London, 8 Nov 2007

The night before WillowRoolz was at The Forum to see Porcupine Tree I was there to see Trentemoller. Willowroolz and I have never met, but from our various postings I see he was downstairs while I was upstairs for the last Porcupine Tree gig at the Forum, we were a few rows apart for a Wembley Rush gig and in adjacent blocks for Rush in Birmingham...

Anyway, in my youth I went to a lot of gigs. I lived in the southest of South London and my chums and I used to haunt The Marquee and see all sorts of rock acts there (including, many times, RichyRob's faves Little Angels). Now, I didn't mind at the time but getting back was a pain. A loooooong journey by night bus which dropped us handily 2 miles away from my Mum and Dad's house. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but, now, older and lazier, I just wouldn't fancy it.

Female Variety Disco (a new and much improved version) however, lives but a 10 minute walk from The Forum. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed being able to arrive to my wonderful girl's flat, have dinner with her with a accompanied by a fine bottle of wine before strolling down to the venue at about 8.45pm to arrive for 9.00pm. This is why I want to live in the heart of London. 15 minute commute to gigs, bring it on!

Going in, the support DJ was winding down his set and a long slow ambient build of electronica came from the stage as Trentemoller arrived.

Trentemoller is the saviour of electronica. The problem with the genre isn't that most of it's rubbish, it's just most of it is just average. As a genre it develops by leaps instead of gradually, with far too many people content to just knock out other versions of the stuff that's popular at the time. Trentemoller has develops complex breathy soundscapes based full interesting instrumentation. it has a distant restrained emotion to it, a lonmg way from the euphoria rush of a few years ago.

My experience of the concert was being with FVD at the sides and dancing with her and, not to spare your blushes, kissing to the accompaniment of the music feeling waves of love as we could both loose ourselves in the music and each other.

I turned round form time to time, he plays in front of huge back projections and constructs his concerts wonderfully, building up and up to some huge dance tracks at the end, while giving you little teases through the night. On it's journey his set moved through sexy restraint, electo clash, love, sparkling sounds of hope, all of it underpinned though with notes of windswept melancholy.

It was a joy to see the place turning into scenes very similar to old school raves from the early 90s.

And when it was finished I was tucked up in bed within 20 minutes. Marvelous.

Love to all

Disco

You tube clips, search under: trentmoller forum

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 17 2006, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (Mental Vortex @ Apr 6 2006, 08:48 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult last Saturday and Buckcherry last night. Both great shows. Pics of the BOC show and a short review are here:

http://www.solarfederation.net/images/conc...6/04_01/boc.htm

I was in a band a few years ago that warmed up for Blue Oyster Cult and the band would not even make eye contact with us. I wasn't very impressed. The thing that WAS cool, though, was I got to meet the stage tech that was pictured on Rush's All The World's A Stage album artwork. I recognized him right away. I asked him if that was a joint hanging from his beard and he said people have been asking him that since 1976. That was around 1998, so the guy must have been on the road with BOC while Rush was on hiatus. I don't know his name, but I know he wasn't Skip Gildersleeve. Skip has had short hair for years now...

The answer to your question is Jack Secret he tours with BOC when Rush isn't out or is he Hondo VonDussenberg now!

I'm really one for reviewing shows, but I just wanted to say that I got to see Van Halen Thursday night and it was awesome. They played a 3 hour set. Research In Motion, the company I work for, hired them for a private concert in Toronto at the Air Canada Center.

If anyone hasn't seem them yet and has their doubts about Eddie's son Wolfgang on bass, that kid is fantastic. He's only 16 and he's doing a real bang up job. He's way better than Mike Anthony in my opinion.

going to see VAN HALEN tonight at the staples center in los angeles. maybe i'll see NP there. glad to hear those backup vocals are live cause i was wondering (they sounded good).

got floor seats today when i crashed the venue. they are in the back on the riser which means access to the floor and above everyone's heads. i hope my GF is ready for this...she doesn't know **** about VH. like it matters: she gets drunk on one drink cheer.gif

of course she's on the rag for yet another show so we'll see how that works out.

on the phone last night:

HER "i want to tell you what i'm going to wear for the show"

ME "nooooo!!!!! suprise me!"

HER "no, i want you to approve of the outfit"

ME "oh, ok"

HER "my tight jeans &....."

ME "APPROVED"

yes.gif

Riverside, Camden Underworld, London UK, 30/11/07

I've been waiting to see this Polish progressive metal band for a long time. This was their first visit to the UK, and their first ever London show. They obviously underestimated their popularity over here because The Underworld was packed to the rafters.

Once the support were out of the way (Haken, decent musicians, dreadful singer) it only took Riverside a few minutes to get on stage. Naturally they were largely promoting the superb new album Rapid Eye Movement. The set list was as follows:

Beyond The Eyelids

Rainbow Box

I Turned You Down

Ultimate Trip

Conceiving You

Loose Heart

Parasomnia

Volte-Face

I Believe

Second Life Syndrome

--------

02 Panic Room

Out Of Myself

--------

Lucid Dream IV

It was a stunning performance, despite a handful of truly obnoxious people in the crowd, and a slight technical hitch during I Turned You Down which, fortunately, was corrected pretty quickly - in time for a storming rendition of Ultimate Trip which is the track of the year off the album of the year, for me.

They closed the main set with Second Life Syndrome, which very nearly brought the house down.

The band looked genuinely surprised and delighted by the response they got. I hope they come back to the UK soon. Taking Rush out of the equation this was, without a doubt, the gig of the year for me. If you get a chance to see them don't miss out!

Edited by willowroolz

Marillion @ The Forum, 5/12/07

set list for the two sets was:

Bridge

Big Lie

Runaway

Mad

Fruit of the Wild Rose

Out of This World

Real Tears for Sale

Somewhere Else

Seasons End

--

Hooks In You

Most Toys

The Other Half

Cannibal Surf Babe

This Town / 100 Nights

This Strange Engine

--

Genie

Neverland

--

Let It Snow

split into two halves - the 'slow miserable' half and the 'slightly faster miserable' half - those in the know delighted in hearing the first 3rd of the brave album. a cleverly paced first set gradually drew the crowd in with some stunning performances of some rarely played songs.

mr h stopped to berate the security for trying to stop people enjoying themselves which was well received by all. the new song aired, real tears for sale sounded superb and bodes well for album no 15!

whilst some of the crowd had been a bit subdued during the first half, the second set exploded into life with an energetic version of hooks in you and the energy never really let up after that and the set culminated in superb renditions of the this town trilogy and a full length this strange engine complete with a stunning guitar solo from mr rothery.

they should have played quartz as first encore song but due to a huge number in the crowd calling for genie, they played that instead and followed it with a stunning version of neverland - a song so personal to me sung with such passion that it brought tears to my eyes.

returning with kazoos for a ramshackle rendition of let it snow, the band completed their set.

the crowd and atmosphere were superb throughout, something the band picked up on and it pushed their performance higher. mr h actually commented on how their london audience has changed over the last three years to the point where they enjoy playing the capital now due to the buzz they get from an appreciative and friendly audience.

so a superb night of great songs, an inflatable crocodile, wonderful musicianship, an inflatable guitar, heart, soul, a warm, friendly atmosphere, an inflatable palm tree, funny stage/crowd banter, and a snow machine that i somehow conspired to stand directly under thus getting covered (although i bet the short lady behind me was glad i was infront of her) in fake snow. what more could you ask for?

QUOTE (arctangent @ Dec 6 2007, 09:37 AM)

Bridge
Big Lie
Runaway
Mad
Fruit of the Wild Rose
Out of This World
Real Tears for Sale
Somewhere Else
Seasons End
--
Hooks In You
Most Toys
The Other Half
Cannibal Surf Babe
This Town / 100 Nights
This Strange Engine
--
Genie
Neverland
--
Let It Snow

split into two halves - the 'slow miserable' half and the 'slightly faster miserable' half - those in the know delighted in hearing the first 3rd of the brave album. a cleverly paced first set gradually drew the crowd in with some stunning performances of some rarely played songs.

mr h stopped to berate the security for trying to stop people enjoying themselves which was well received by all. the new song aired, real tears for sale sounded superb and bodes well for album no 15!

whilst some of the crowd had been a bit subdued during the first half, the second set exploded into life with an energetic version of hooks in you and the energy never really let up after that and the set culminated in superb renditions of the this town trilogy and a full length this strange engine complete with a stunning guitar solo from mr rothery.

they should have played quartz as first encore song but due to a huge number in the crowd calling for genie, they played that instead and followed it with a stunning version of neverland - a song so personal to me sung with such passion that it brought tears to my eyes.

returning with kazoos for a ramshackle rendition of let it snow, the band completed their set.

the crowd and atmosphere were superb throughout, something the band picked up on and it pushed their performance higher. mr h actually commented on how their london audience has changed over the last three years to the point where they enjoy playing the capital now due to the buzz they get from an appreciative and friendly audience.

so a superb night of great songs, an inflatable crocodile, wonderful musicianship, an inflatable guitar, heart, soul, a warm, friendly atmosphere, an inflatable palm tree, funny stage/crowd banter, and a snow machine that i somehow conspired to stand directly under thus getting covered (although i bet the short lady behind me was glad i was infront of her) in fake snow. what more could you ask for?

The first set sounds pretty good to me ! i love "Fruit of the wild rose", never heard that live. I think the rest of the set looks awesome as well but im one of the few fans who prefers H to Fish. yes.gif

QUOTE (arctangent @ Dec 6 2007, 02:37 PM)

Bridge
Big Lie
Runaway
Mad
Fruit of the Wild Rose
Out of This World
Real Tears for Sale
Somewhere Else
Seasons End
--
Hooks In You
Most Toys
The Other Half
Cannibal Surf Babe
This Town / 100 Nights
This Strange Engine
--
Genie
Neverland
--
Let It Snow

Saw the Wolverhampton gig....Wonderfull night..

Here's a few pics I took ...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img9191.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8766.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8558.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8675.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8861.jpg

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Dec 6 2007, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Dec 6 2007, 02:37 PM)

Bridge
Big Lie
Runaway
Mad
Fruit of the Wild Rose
Out of This World
Real Tears for Sale
Somewhere Else
Seasons End
--
Hooks In You
Most Toys
The Other Half
Cannibal Surf Babe
This Town / 100 Nights
This Strange Engine
--
Genie
Neverland
--
Let It Snow

Saw the Wolverhampton gig....Wonderfull night..

Here's a few pics I took ...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img9191.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8766.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8558.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8675.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Marillion%202-12-07/Img8861.jpg

AWESOME PICS ! 1022.gif

Marillion - The Forum

At the risk of the rest of the board rising up as one and saying "We know sleepy head, what took you so long", Marillion are a sensational band.

Each of them plays with such a grace and so sympathetically with one another. Unlike certain bands one could mention they always lay the song and don't let the performance take over.

The guitarist! I saw the Super Furry Animals a few weeks ago. Dreadful. Alex Lifeson in an interview recently said something to the effect that a lot of modern rock is a bit dull as the guitar sounds are all similar (cf Snakes and Arrows). How right he is. The Super Furries guitarist just plugs in his box and plays, and what a dull man he is. In my view the guiatirst shouldn't just be worrying about the music but should be working to create sonic textures. Enter Marillion's guitarist. Beautiful textural guitar, a real craftsman and artist.

The singer. Frankly, I've never heard a better singer live. Technically great, but my God the passion he pours into it... Oh and the drummer, I like Mr Peart's hit-them-like-you -hate-them style, but it is something to see them played with just relaxed refined grace.

The singer also have a very special relationship with his audience. There was a real intimacy and connection between the band and the crowd. The singer is actively wanting little comment shouted out, reacting a laughing along. As arctangent mentioned, the singer did comment on how a few years ago they found the London audiences a bit cool and dreaded playing here but last night he said he could really feel the goodwill in the room. Well, we may have changed, but I also think it was also down to his ability to reach out to a room.

Anyway, I am a 'new fan' only knowing the Marbles album, so I only knew a couple o f the songs played last night, but I was blown away, and it was a long way from a greatest hits set I understand. It was made all the easier to enjoy by some of the best sound I've ever heard at a gig.

Like arctangent, I also had a little tear in my eye for Neverland, I don't think I've ever been so moved at a concert.

Also along were my friend Mark and his girlfriend Maki. Maki is into her fashion and at the interval we did fall onto "What is the guitarist wearing!!!" The worse ever fitting uit over soem horrible fading blakc jeans and some shoes that looked, er, comfortable. I mean folks, I really do dress up more to do my ironing - while I'm in the house by myself!

Disco

PS And only a 15 minute walk home, raaaay!

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 6 2007, 02:43 PM)

but im one of the few fans who prefers H to Fish. yes.gif

eh? i think most marillion fans far and away prefer h as singer. i know i do and i have seen both incarnations.

nice photos by the way wartypig. but who is that guy in red with the beard wink.gif

QUOTE (arctangent @ Dec 7 2007, 11:31 AM)

eh? i think most marillion fans far and away prefer h as singer.

unsure.gif

bolt.gif

Gutted I had to miss the Marillion gig due to illness sad.gif

Probably just as well, as my eardrum decided to explode yesterday - I blame Riverside laugh.gif

Glad to read that it was a good night, though biggrin.gif

Thankfully I have the rather wonderful Somewhere In London dvd to make up for it and remind me of the great gig in June - get yourselves over to the Marillion website and order it pronto new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (arctangent @ Dec 7 2007, 11:31 AM)

eh? i think most marillion fans far and away prefer h as singer. i know i do and i have seen both incarnations.

nice photos by the way wartypig. but who is that guy in red with the beard wink.gif

Cheers.....

Not sure who the guy in red was . . . . he turned up pretty late in the show though wink.gif laugh.gif

Violent femmes: Meh, i got free tickets so.... Decent concert for being my first

Then Dokken, And Vixen,and a local band, Awesome show! Got to meet Vixen and get an autograph.

Ted Nugent- I loved every minuit of it, it was awesome.

Alice Cooper- Played at a fair, got to see him for 9 or $12 bucks so their was no way i could turn that down, sweet concert.

David Torn at the Vortex Jazz Club, Hackney

Despite being just down the road, I'd not heard of the Vortex Club until last week, but now I can tell you where it is. The wrong end of Hackney, that's where.

Hackney, for those not lucky enough to live in Britlandshire, is not only my home, but a rather poor part of London. But just because I live here, don't think I can't be a snob. I had no idea Hackney had a 'good' part and a 'down at heel' part, but what do you know, I live in the posh part! Kingsland Junction is where it's at, the only thing King like down there are the king sized reefers.

The Vortex Club is one of those attempts at regeneration - let's put something good here. So you arrive to it by passing over a 'regeneration' square - all nicely done up with uplights, and arrive at quite a nice large building, which you enter, and then get ushered into a really small, souless, room. Where'd that big building I entered go to?

Anyway, David Torn is a guitarist who has played with many big manes: David Bowie, Jeff Beck, David Sylvian etc and the flyers promised oceanic music, like a twisted Mann soundtrack. He himself describes himself as a texturalist. All big buzz words for me.

So we arrived full of hope (after seeing Gilbert and George in a local Turksih eatery art-fans) but what a pile of tosh it was.

Imagine Miles Davis's Bitches brew, but not played by that band, but a random assortment of yoru less musically interested buddies. That's how it was.

It was, basically, free jazz.

The saxophonist just played notes without texture. I asked my girlfriend, the much more musical Female Variety Disco, whether there was anything musical going on in his playing, a slightly grumpy (I would say resentful, but she might read this at some point) "No" was the answer.

The keyboard player spent the first 10 minutes trying to work out how his equipment worked (Dude, you've flown in for the gig, spending 10 minute in the afternnon sound checking wouldn't have harmed you). He did find the 'Harpsichord' sound and very unsuccessfulyl tried to pretend this was on purpose while fading it out with as much speed as dignity would allow.

The drummer. We finally got to some ambient textures. This silence the drummer mistook for his chance to come to the fore. By all things Godly No!!!

Discussing the first set with my chums it transpired that between us we'd wished every member of the band would just go home.

We didn't stay for the second set (why stay for more of exactly the same?)

I was glad it wasn't the first date for me and Female Variety Disco.

On the plus side, being older much of my enjoyment of a gig rests on how quickly I get home. 15 minutes. Nice ending to a poor show.

Oh, and the turkish meal we had beforehand was delightful.

Love to all

Disco

Genesis in Boston 9/11/07

According to the Boston Herald, the show was SOLD OUT despite a few seats unsold here and there.

I returned to my native Boston and all I can say is that Genesis was well worth my trip to Boston.

I arrived an hour and a half early with my best friend Dennis and I proceeded to buy a program first thing (which is basically two programs in one) and then the T-shirt with an album art collage.

Food was expensive (I just had a pizza which was $6.50 and a large soda $4) but c'est la vie, the Banknorth Garden (a/k/a The Fleet Center) was practically packed. My buddy and I were in the balcony but the view of the stage was unbelievable.

Then after the lights went down, the crowd erupted when the screen went on and the collage gots lots of cheers and then when the JFK speech was played, the crowd went nuts (seeing JFK was originally from Boston) and the band went on stage in the dark.

Then after the itinerary pointed to Boston, Phil clicked his sticks into the "Behind the Lines/Duke's End" medley a/k/a Duke's Intro and what a beginning. Then they segued into "Turn it On Again" and Tony Banks' keyboards were spot on. Mike Rutherford and Daryl Stuermer were on fire. Chester Thompson was superb. Phil Collins, one Hell of a showman and one Hell of a stage presence. People who mock him are just either insecure or ignorant or just angry he is superbly talented, funny and just a great presence.

Synopsis of show and songs:

Duke's Intro was awesome which segued into a stellar Turn it on Again. PC then welcomed us to Boston and was superb and knows how to work a crowd. No Son of Mine was excellent, nice visual effects. Land of Confusion was probably the best version I ever heard. Phil then humorously announced In the Cage. He said it was written when they had more hair and asked if there were older fans in the audience. In the Cage was excellent and Rutherford used his awesome double neck (a Gibson 12-string with a bass from his arenal custom made) whilst Stuermer superbly played his red Fender Stratocaster and Tony's keyboard solo was amazing (best version of In the Cage live since 1980 IMHO). Then the band did the Cinema Show/Duke's Travels medley and Phil I swear gets better with age on drumming (his stick went flying from his hand at start of Afterglow but played on without missing a beat plus Chester was there to cover him). Afterglow was superb. Then Hold On My Heart was next and some fan then tried to interrupt him for an autograph whilst performing (some people are just ignorant, Phil thankfully didn't pull either a Roger Waters circa 1977 or Axl Rose hissy fit) but great version. Phil then did a humorous intro to Home By the Sea and the performance was EXCELLENT, especially the Second HBtS section when the band played the instrumental. Next was Follow You Follow Me and was superb. Phil could sing from behind the drums and I would go see it. The visuals of the album covers coming to life was stellar. Then the Firth of Fifth instrumental was awesome (Daryl's solo was better than on either TWWW album or video). I Know What I Like was next and the crowd was into Phil's classic tambourine act, how he can still smash the tambourine at 56 and that fast is impressive. Mama was awesome and best of 2007 versions. Ripples was probably the best version I heard and was awesome (shame people headed for the bathroom during the track, either that or go get merchandise or go outside to smoke or whatever, I love the song). Throwing It All Away was superb. Domino's intro was classic Phil and the song was awesome. Then Chester and Phil's Drum Duet/Conversation With Two Stools was awesome and the crowd was into it, especially the bar stool bit before Phil switched to drums and Chester and Phil just dueled. Los Endos was superb. They played it better here than on the VH1 Rock Honors. Tonight Tonight Tonight and Invisible Touch was stellar and the pyro was amazing. I Can't Dance was excellent. Phil then thanked the crowd and then said Boston was the very first place Genesis played to in the US at Brandeis University (which got lots of cheers from my native Beantown fans) in 1972 (only 28 people were there for Genesis in 1972). The encore Carpet Crawlers was a great closer (many people headed for exits, fairweather fans) and then the band said good night and took their final bows.

My trip to Boston was worth it for this show alone (plus the walk off home run that David Oriz hit the next night and seeing Heaven and Hell (a/k/a the Dio fronted Black Sabbath) with Alice Cooper and Queensryche two nights prior to Genesis). I am fortunate I got to see the Turn It On Again tour and my ten plus years of Genesis fandom has rewarded me in SPADES!