The Rolling Stones... My God...

Mr. Not

I have to share this.

I was listening to a live version of 'Mixed Emotions' below from Live At The Tokyo Dome, Tokyo / 1990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1jy8eUHH0

What really drives the song is Bill Wyman's performance with his Steinberger XM2 bass where he utilizes a signature bass playing of sliding between the notes. The camera angles with just Mick Jagger and Wyman describe this.

I found this comment from Wyman below posted here.

Wyman's current phase of contentment in all areas dates back to his watershed year, 1992. It was then that he conceived the idea of forming a band with an older musical agenda which would allow him to play the bass the way he had always wanted to, in a more fluid, jazzy style.

"When I play now it has more the feel of a double bass, an instrument which I love but can never play because I've got such little hands." These, he explains, are the reason why he originally removed the frets from his electric bass in 1962, to make it into a sort of miniature double. And that's why he still prefers to hold it vertically, in a manner that became his live trademark with the Stones. "That wasn't a gimmick, it was a necessity!"

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

Go Keith !!! He had a band in the late 80's and into the early 90's called the X-pensive Winos. Memorable R&R riffs for sure.

http://youtu.be/-qnfPQQiQv0

Go Keith !!! He had a band in the late 80's and into the early 90's called the X-pensive Winos. Memorable R&R riffs for sure.

http://youtu.be/-qnfPQQiQv0

I was in a Religious group starting in the fall of '78, and we were called "New Wine", although we called ourselves "Nude Winos". We had our last 'Get Together' in the mid Ninetys.

t1Qf8U0.gif

I'm a HUGE Stones fan and this is my favorite song from Sticky Fingers... and Keith is not playing on it.

The Mick Taylor years are the best !!!

Fantastic album and a great song. Not a bad song on that album. For myself, it was the last great Stones' album. After Sticky Fingers, I began to lose interest in them.

I'm a HUGE Stones fan and this is my favorite song from Sticky Fingers... and Keith is not playing on it.

The Mick Taylor years are the best !!!

Fantastic album and a great song. Not a bad song on that album. For myself, it was the last great Stones' album. After Sticky Fingers, I began to lose interest in them.

"Through The Past Darkly" was my FIRST Stones album, "Sticky Fingers" was my second Stones album. That ended my Stones buying until "Black And Blue" caught my attention with "Hot Stuff" The next I bought was "Emotional Rescue".

t1Qf8U0.gif

Awhile back, I found a clip of Geddy and Alex discussing The Rolling Stones, which was backstage at the SARS benefit concert in July 2003.

Geddy had mentioned that the last time he saw the band live was during the 1989-90 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour.

Alex mentioned hearing the band's compilation album 'Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)' at a relatives house and being enamored by '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I love the scene in the dvd of Sarsfest where Charlie Watts is waiting politely to meet Neil. Neil at first doesn't recognize him and Charlie tells him "I will be watching you".
  • Like 1

Am I wrong for thinking Exile isn't really in the same league as Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers? I mean, it's got stellar highlights (across the whole double disc), but then there's a bunch on there that just reads as filler to me. :16ton:

Am I wrong for thinking Exile isn't really in the same league as Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers? I mean, it's got stellar highlights (across the whole double disc), but then there's a bunch on there that just reads as filler to me. :16ton:

I wouldn’t say “wrong.” You like what you like. I think Beggars Banquet through Exile are all equally perfect. If you don’t you don’t.

• Like 4

Some of it is filler. They used some stuff left over from the Sticky Fingers recording sessions. I can see why you don't like it as much as those two though. I would probably give Sticky and Bleed a slight edge over Exile.

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of Ghost Head Soup. Mick Taylor's guitar work on this album in incredible.

The bass guitar, on some tracks, was played by Keith and Mick T.

• Like 1

So, I'm finally coming down from seeing The Stones three times this tour. They are still f*ing amazing and to rock a stadium of 60,000+ people, you got to give them credit.

Keith's cords go right through to your soul.

http://youtu.be/g-SuwfKSDaY

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3