The Rolling Stones... My God...

Mr. Not

Black And Blue is one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time .. Fool To Cry is as good as it gets

Fool To Cry is good but I like Memory Motel better. I really like Hand Of Fate too.

Will not be getting out to montauk this year. Always cool passing the memory motel there. Strange when you see it...that's where they were??

Oh shit, I didn't know the Memory Motel was based on a real place. I just thought it was a name they used for the song :LOL:

A fantastic song either way. Somehow i've been fortunate enough to see them play it live three times. They brought it back as a regular/semi regular during the 90s and I was able to luck out and see them do it. Each time I saw them play it, the crowd went nuts for Keith when he sang his part.

Black And Blue is one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time .. Fool To Cry is as good as it gets

Fool To Cry is good but I like Memory Motel better. I really like Hand Of Fate too.

Will not be getting out to montauk this year. Always cool passing the memory motel there. Strange when you see it...that's where they were??

Oh shit, I didn't know the Memory Motel was based on a real place. I just thought it was a name they used for the song :LOL:

A fantastic song either way. Somehow i've been fortunate enough to see them play it live three times. They brought it back as a regular/semi regular during the 90s and I was able to luck out and see them do it. Each time I saw them play it, the crowd went nuts for Keith when he sang his part.

J,they were out in Montauk, the remote eastern tip of Long Island, I believe visiting Andy Warhol at his famous estate out there. They stayed at the Memory Motel either on their way out or back. Its kind of a strange looking motel on the main street out there, wedged in between two streets.

The Stones completed their Zip Code tour last weekend. They played before 93,000 in Quebec. Impressive for a band that's been touring 50 years.

They'll be back in South America next year.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/rs_quebec4_zpsc8ea7r5j.jpg

• Like 2

This is how Dave Davies got the sound for "You Really Got Me":

While recording the Kinks’ debut album in 1964, Dave Davies altered the course of guitar history with the help of an Elpico AC-55 amp. Unhappy with the sounds he was getting from it, he slashed his Elpico’s speaker with a razor blade and inadvertently created one of the rawest sounds in early rock, as heard on the classic “You Really Got Me.”

You beat me too it. Does Davies get credit for inventing distortion?

The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. Indeed.

I saw them in 1989, 1994 and 2003. They were always fantastic.

The Stones? Fantastic live? I saw them in 94. Far from fantastic. Like Zeppelin, a terribly overrated live band.

The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. Indeed.

I saw them in 1989, 1994 and 2003. They were always fantastic.

The Stones? Fantastic live? I saw them in 94. Far from fantastic. Like Zeppelin, a terribly overrated live band.

I just saw them a few weeks ago and was expecting some old men just going through the motions on stage. I mean, Mick, Keith and Charlie are all over 70 and Ronnie is just a couple years behind them, so how good could they be at this point? Well, they were fantastic. From the first song, they had me and everyone else in the palm of their hands. Keith, Ronnie and Charlie killed it with their playing and Jagger was working the stage and audience as good as he ever did. There was this youthful energy to the band's performance that I was just not expecting and I don't think a lot of the people in attendance were either. I did write a review in the concert review section if you want to read it.

I think only doing 15 shows on this tour and having two or three days off in between really helped the quality of each performance. At their age, doing longer tours just doesn't favor them anymore. But shorter ones like this has helped the band to find that spark again live.

• Like 2

When I think of outstanding tone I think of the following:

David Gilmour

Keith Richards

Mick Taylor

Duane Allman

Marc Ford

Steve Hackett

Brian May

Neil Young

Lindsey Buckingham

Lee Underwood

and Alex Lifeson's tone during the early period, definitely through 2112, and perhaps even through Hemispheres, was beautiful, back when it was nice and fuzzy and warm, and not so thin and processed as it eventually became.

• Like 1

Eric Johnson = Tone King

Here's more of Bill's efforts...

When I was younger I used to be able to sing along with the falsetto Mick does in this song. Now, not so much lol.

Didn't they play this one recently for the first time?

When I was younger I used to be able to sing along with the falsetto Mick does in this song. Now, not so much lol.

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/PTxQ601mlAY

Yeah, they played it a few years back on their 50th anniversary tour. The couple versions I heard of it, Mick sang it in his normal voice and didn't use the falsetto.

I think I'm about to get my balls kicked here... but, I think Keith is one of the most over-rated guitar players out there. He hasn't improved in 45 years. If you saw him playing in a club, but he wasn't the "Famous Keith, Rock Star," just some dude, you'd probably be unimpressed.

I think I'm about to get my balls kicked here... but, I think Keith is one of the most over-rated guitar players out there. He hasn't improved in 45 years. If you saw him playing in a club, but he wasn't the "Famous Keith, Rock Star," just some dude, you'd probably be unimpressed.

Yeah, but he would be just some dude who was playing with a very unique sounding guitar tone. That's why Keith gets the praise he does. It's not because anyone thinks he's a technical guitar genius. But he comes up with good riffs and knows how to play them the right way. That along with his tone help him to stand out.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Yeah, but he would be just some dude who was playing with a very unique sounding guitar tone. That's why Keith gets the praise he does. It's not because anyone thinks he's a technical guitar genius. But he comes up with good riffs and knows how to play them the right way. That along with his tone help him to stand out.

I agree about Keith to a degree, and the Stones have been stagnant for near on 30 + years, maybe longer, but those first ten years, they were awesome, and even had moments after that. Love the Stones up through about '76, '78. Some Girls was good. But from '63 - '73 they were awesome.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Keith was never known for his guitar "wizardry". A lot of regular players can play his stuff, but it was his style, his innovative tuning etc and his riffs. Put it all with his swagger and you have one of my all time faves. Calling him over-rated is kind of missing the point. He came up with some of the most famous guitar lines ever.
  • Like 3

Keith Richards is a fantastic guitar player. And a very innovative player, producer and composer.

I don't know how one can listen to the majority of the Rolling Stones' repertoire and think otherwise.

• Like 2

Keith was never known for his guitar "wizardry". A lot of regular players can play his stuff, but it was his style, his innovative tuning etc and his riffs. Put it all with his swagger and you have one of my all time faves. Calling him over-rated is kind of missing the point. He came up with some of the most famous guitar lines ever.

He was innovative for awhile. I don't necessarily feel that "flash" equates to a great guitarist. I like more subtle players too like Lindsey Buckingham and The Edge. But Keith lost something. Those early years were great, but somewhere in the mid- to late '70s it got hit and miss. I felt like he was coasting. Even something like Start Me Up was actually an older song that was recycled for Tattoo You in '81. Like I said the early stuff was great. And Keith really did some good stuff. Classic stuff. But what has he done since Start Me Up that even comes close to Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, or even It's Only Rock and Roll? But I wouldn't call him overrated either.

Edited by Wil1972

He was innovative for awhile. I don't necessarily feel that "flash" equates to a great guitarist. I like more subtle players too like Lindsey Buckingham and The Edge. But Keith lost something. Those early years were great, but somewhere in the mid- to late '70s it got hit and miss. I felt like he was coasting. Even something like Start Me Up was actually an older song that was recycled for Tattoo You in '81. Like I said the early stuff was great. And Keith really did some good stuff. Classic stuff. But what has he done since Start Me Up that even comes close to Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, or even It's Only Rock and Roll? But I wouldn't call him overrated either.

Who doesn't eventually lose something? Especially after an artistic peak like the Stones had from 1968 to 1972?

You mentioned the Edge (who I like), he hasn't done anything interesting with a guitar since 1987!

• Like 2