What Next For Rush?

Red Dwarf

If the tour really ends August 1... there is simply no excuse to NOT have a new DVD in hand by the holidays...possibly even Halloween.

Hopefully they do another epic album....any new stuff would be cool!

Edited by JBsDWdrums

Rush ends in Los Angeles later this summer.

Geddy will continue making music.

Neil and Alex will retire.

That's all.

This is, alas, the most likely estimate.

nope. they definitely got another album in them.

• Like 1

That would make great subject matter for a few songs on a studio album.

The tour ends in August, go into the studio and start working out the new album(possibly their last), while they are in playing form(warmed up from touring), and either go ahead and finish the record, or in a few months continue the tour in Europe, then come home and finish the record for release in late 2016. After that who knows, maybe tour the album as their last tour, or just release the record and take a break.

That's all.

This is, alas, the most likely estimate.

nope. they definitely got another album in them.

Possible. Not probable.

To all the musicians out there . . . if you play guitar, for example, don't you feel a sort of compulsion to create? I wonder if someone like Lifeson could ever really put the guitar away and retire. And if he is compelled to pick it up and play, wouldn't he also, being the creative guy that he is, be compelled to make something new? I don't know if it's the same for drums. I play mostly bass and guitar myself, and although I might go for days without playing, I still have to go back to it and see what happens.

I'm a drummer...my drums are set up, and except for the occasional "need to get something out of me" I don't play like I used to play...or for the reasons that I liked to play...in fact... after seeing Rush a few days back...I haven't gotten the urge to pull out the concert toms, and play along to something... maybe it's over for me!

If the tour really ends August 1... there is simply no excuse to NOT have a new DVD in hand by the holidays...possibly even Halloween.

Hopefully they do another epic album....any new stuff would be cool!

MY hope...if it DOES end August 1st, then the live album and DVD is out by the holidays...then maybe by summer a box set of all the missing live pieces from over the years...

I'm also hoping that the odd unreleased live album from different tours come out.

Rush plays in Australia, Asia and some other places that they haven't been where there's a market for them (Dirk, Lerxst, Pratt, get your things together and come visit me before you all it quits forever)

Maybe they'll become the judge panel for a Canadian version of American Idol.

I have a feeling that they will release singles on their own pace, rather then compile a full album. Scratch the itch when they need to, but not have to commit to the time it takes to produce a full length.

i also see them playing small house shows for all of their loyal fans....on their birthdays...so mine will be June 9th in the next couple of years or so. ;)

Would anyone besides me LOVE an all instrumental album by Alex and Geddy? Let Neil chase his baby around the house and get Portnoy or whoever else is available to drum and go for an old school sound. I loved Victor's "Strip And Go Naked", so maybe continue in the vein of ethereal pieces like that or TMMB.

That's assuming there wouldn't be a new Rush album, which would obviously be first choice.

• Like 2

That's all.

I'm holding out hope for more new music. But am prepared to call it a day.

Would anyone besides me LOVE an all instrumental album by Alex and Geddy? Let Neil chase his baby around the house and get Portnoy or whoever else is available to drum and go for an old school sound. I loved Victor's "Strip And Go Naked", so maybe continue in the vein of ethereal pieces like that or TMMB.

That's assuming there wouldn't be a new Rush album, which would obviously be first choice.

Yes I would love an instrumental album. I think it would be great. I think another thing they could do would be soundtracks

I do not why the Stones can be still playing in their 70´s and Rush is already talking about quitting......I see Neil in a better shape in R40Ttour than CA Tour and Alex too, Geddy is A1 as he always is....dunno....they could probably do 2 hour shows....10 years of difference at that age seem a lot to me to quit.....IMHO :codger:

Go to a Stones concert and you'll see a bunch of tour musicians playing most of the music while the Stones hit an occasional note when the mood strikes.

• Like 1

To all the musicians out there . . . if you play guitar, for example, don't you feel a sort of compulsion to create? I wonder if someone like Lifeson could ever really put the guitar away and retire. And if he is compelled to pick it up and play, wouldn't he also, being the creative guy that he is, be compelled to make something new? I don't know if it's the same for drums. I play mostly bass and guitar myself, and although I might go for days without playing, I still have to go back to it and see what happens.

Emm, not necessarily. I play guitar less and less as I get older and I'm 10 years younger than Al. When I do play, I enjoy it, but then I don't feel the urge to follow-up for weeks at a time.

Emm, not necessarily. I play guitar less and less as I get older and I'm 10 years younger than Al. When I do play, I enjoy it, but then I don't feel the urge to follow-up for weeks at a time.

I think it depends on the person. Al has other creative outlets and I think he will keep playing as long as he can and it doesn't hurt too much. Geddy is the type that I could see playing until he falls over dead one day. I could see Neil guest starring on other people's albums but I think he enjoys traveling and writing his books now more than the music. I think he would say that he's paid his dues.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the person. Al has other creative outlets and I think he will keep playing as long as he can and it doesn't hurt too much. Geddy is the type that I could see playing until he falls over dead one day. I could see Neil guest starring on other people's albums but I think he enjoys traveling and writing his books now more than the music. I think he would say that he's paid his dues.

They will make more music...it's what they do.

After how great they played last night in Buffalo, i've got no problem if they decide to hang it up after this tour is over. It's possible they can still do some short tours but given Alex and Neil's physical problems i'm not so sure that will happen. Even if treated well, arthritis and tendonitis are not things that get better as you age.

I think they still have a couple of new albums left in them but playing live will be very little or nothing at all.

• Like 1

They'll probably take it as easy as they can, which could be hard with a demanding fan base. I could see them doing some shows here and there and/or Geddy making another solo album. I've said this before and I'm gonna say it again: Alex should do standup comedy.

I do not why the Stones can be still playing in their 70´s and Rush is already talking about quitting......I see Neil in a better shape in R40Ttour than CA Tour and Alex too, Geddy is A1 as he always is....dunno....they could probably do 2 hour shows....10 years of difference at that age seem a lot to me to quit.....IMHO :codger:

Go to a Stones concert and you'll see a bunch of tour musicians playing most of the music while the Stones hit an occasional note when the mood strikes.

Yeah, those tours by old school bands where there are like 30 people on stage seem a bit ridiculous to me. With Rush there's Ged, Alex, and Neil and nobody else.

It seems somewhat likely there will be one more studio album, based on what Alex and Ged have been saying, but it seems unlikely there will be a major tour to support it. For a band that has always made albums with an eye towards performing them live, I'm not sure what sort of album they will make when they don't expect to be playing it live to any significant degree.

I wouldn't be shocked if they end up doing one more major tour to support a new studio album but I don't expect it. Another album? Perhaps. Another major tour? Very unlikely. Neil's tendonitis and Alex's arthtitis are only going to get worse, unfortunately.

If they have made their last album and this is their last tour, they've already given us four decades; much more than any other band I can think of. So if there's more, great. But if not, what they have already given us will always be there.

Edited by rftag