Seven Cities of Gold: Filler or Fantastic?

Tombstone Mountain

Seven Cities of Gold  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is this song just filler, or a grand mini-epic?

• Filler. The song is ill conceived
    • Mini Epic all the way
  2. 2. Geddy's Voice on Seven Cities of Gold

• I love it
    • I hate it
    • It's ok
  3. 3. Does SCOG remind you of any other Rush song?

• No
    • Yes
    • Kinda

It's kickass, very cinematic and has a nasty groove...some seriously tasty licks by Neil, very much "in the pocket" like never before.

The f**k folks? Every song have to be odd meter-note-crammed-chop-spectacles? This ain't friggin Dream Theater thank God!

• Like 3

It's kickass, very cinematic and has a nasty groove...some seriously tasty licks by Neil, very much "in the pocket" like never before.

The f**k folks? Every song have to be odd meter-note-crammed-chop-spectacles? This ain't friggin Dream Theater thank God!

We share the same sentiment. I believe what I enjoy most about Seven Cities is Geddy and his freaking awesome VOICE. When I listen to him belt this out, It's as if he's in the headspace of that 20 year old Geddy--with a touch of grey.

• Like 3

I get the same feeling listening to a Dream Theater album as I do listening to CA's.

Boring song.

Really?...As a bass player, I would have thought you'd love that bass line and bass fills. To each is own. I spent a whole weekend learning the bass part, Not so much the notes but the timing groove Geddy puts on it. You should listen to it again and focus on the bass...maybe it won't be as boring to you.

I always focus on the bass. It's an okay bass line but that's it.

Now I'm questioning my bias on that song.....because I value and respect your opinion.

I'm going to go spin the vinyl right now and make a refreshed assessment on the song and the bass parts.

I know I like the song...but can't wrap my mind around it being boring. I do love the simple yet funky bass intro.

Go play that intro...tab it, if you have to....It's fun. My drummer friend and I start with that intro and then just do a improv funk jam.

I've played it. I learn all Rush albums as soon as they come out. To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite bass player of all time but he hasn't done much of anything that interesting in the last few albums. With the possible exception of Mal Nar.

..."

" To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. "

Wow !....

That's a profound statement. I respectfully disagree.

Is EagleMoon to Geddy...what GeminiRising79 is to Neil?

I would like to think not....

But nothing creative?...in 20 years? It's your opinion. Kudos...for making the statement and still liking and following the band.

I figured I'd get some flack for saying that, but yes, it's my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't think they've made some good music since then, or that I don't LIKE his bass playing. I just don't think he's been as creative with his bass parts in the last few albums. A lot of the flamenco 16th notes throughout the songs and just nothing outstanding.

And btw, I'm not trying to be negative to be negative. It's just a bit of constructive criticism.

I agre about the 16th notes. On VT they are particularly distracting and completely unnecessary. Detracts from the melody, I think.
  • Like 1

Which are the seven cities anyway? Anyone care to take a guess?

Do you mean the mythical cities that the explorers Coronado and Estabanico were seeking?

Cibola is the name that mostly comes up, but Quivara does as well. Here's more than you'd care to know about the legend...An interesting read.

http://www.geographicus.com/blog/rare-and-antique-maps/cibola-estebanico-antilla-and-the-seven-cities-of-gold/

• Like 1

Probably the weakest on the album, but not bad. Awesome bass, good guitar work, decent enough vocals…certainly listenable.
  • Like 1

Really love it. Great bass. Great lyrics. As someone said very well the guitar is very out there but in a good way

Geddy's voice soars in this song. Not an average song for this band. A special adventure

• Like 2