Seven Cities of Gold: Filler or Fantastic?

Tombstone Mountain

Seven Cities of Gold  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is this song just filler, or a grand mini-epic?

• Filler. The song is ill conceived
    • Mini Epic all the way
  2. 2. Geddy's Voice on Seven Cities of Gold

• I love it
    • I hate it
    • It's ok
  3. 3. Does SCOG remind you of any other Rush song?

• No
    • Yes
    • Kinda

My mind is being messed with . . . sometimes I come into this thread and there are only a few posts. Then I come in again and there are many posts. I know now that there are two different threads with the same title.

you did that on purpose, didn't you?

• Like 2

My mind is being messed with . . . sometimes I come into this thread and there are only a few posts. Then I come in again and there are many posts. I know now that there are two different threads with the same title.

I don't know how that happened. Use the post with the most views and replies

It´s a cool song... one of the better ones from Clockwork Angels.

Zumbi...it's official. You know what you're talking about!!!

Eh... What? Ofcourse I know what I'm talking about! I always know what I'm talking about when it comes to Rush!

• Like 2

What does nescient mean in this context?

The character in the context of the story is ignorant of life. The lyrics show that as well.

The character in the context of the story is ignorant of life. The lyrics show that as well.

Gotcha. Is the complaint that the ignorance of the character is poorly portrayed, or is the complaint that the lyrics reveal the writer's ignorance of what that sort of existence would be like, or is the complaint that the ignorant character on a journey to find answers is a big ol' cliche, or all of the above?

• Like 1

Listening to it reminds me of a slowed down "One Little Victory" in parts...starting at 00:45. You can even sing along with that part.

Hell yes i like it. Clockwork Angels was a great album, and this is one of my favorites.
  • Like 2

I don't know how that happened. Use the post with the most views and replies

Threads merged.

• Like 2

Gotcha. Is the complaint that the ignorance of the character is poorly portrayed, or is the complaint that the lyrics reveal the writer's ignorance of what that sort of existence would be like, or is the complaint that the ignorant character on a journey to find answers is a big ol' cliche, or all of the above?

It's poorly portrayed, and poorly written. I had the same complaint about the book, which is the same way but on a much larger scale.

It's poorly portrayed, and poorly written. I had the same complaint about the book, which is the same way but on a much larger scale.

You're kind of describing a lot of Peart's stuff, though, in terms of his story-based lyrics being nescient or sophomoric. As I posted in the CA thread, I think twelve songs of the same story was just too much.
  • Like 1

Personally I don't really understand the concept and quite frankly I don't give a care.

The music is slammin' and thats all that matters to me. Neil isn't even my favorite lyricist but he is awfully damn freaking good. Top 5 any day.

Granted there has been some shite and really it doesn't even matter, most of it sounds good so who cares? Incidentally I love Yes, but for the most part I hate they lyrics, they just sound damn good in context.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that I love it, I wouldn't say that I hate it. It's a great song but there's some songs on CA that top it.
  • Like 1

The bass riff at the beginning sounds like Geddy TRYING to sound like Geddy. It's the weak, underdeveloped brother of Mal Nar.

The bass riff at the beginning sounds like Geddy TRYING to sound like Geddy. It's the weak, underdeveloped brother of Mal Nar.

Eh?

Geddy doesn't have to try to sound like Geddy. Geddy is as Geddy does, and Geddy does as Geddy is. That bass is the big, bruisin', well traveled uncle of Malignant Narcissism. (A tune I also dig as it has some slick playing.) But the bass in this tune is a dirty, gritty, mean-funky slice of awesome, with every note perfectly placed in the groove. In my opinion.

• Like 3

You're kind of describing a lot of Peart's stuff, though, in terms of his story-based lyrics being nescient or sophomoric. As I posted in the CA thread, I think twelve songs of the same story was just too much.

But we don't ordinarily get an entire album of them like we did with CA.

Personally I don't really understand the concept and quite frankly I don't give a care.

The music is slammin' and thats all that matters to me. Neil isn't even my favorite lyricist but he is awfully damn freaking good. Top 5 any day.

Granted there has been some shite and really it doesn't even matter, most of it sounds good so who cares? Incidentally I love Yes, but for the most part I hate they lyrics, they just sound damn good in context.

You probably like AC/DC too, right?

Jk....

Sorta.

:D