Anyone surprised that Ged is singing as well as he is this tour?

Alchemical

Pleasantly so, though I saw him considerably earlier in this tour (show 3) than in the last couple of tours (and I saw the last show on the CA tour).

Hopefully, it continues, since I'll be at the 7/9 show...

• Like 4

No, he has sounded good every time I've seen him. They just seem to record too late in the tour when he's struggling and that's what sticks in our heads.
  • Like 2

No, he has sounded good every time I've seen him. They just seem to record too late in the tour when he's struggling and that's what sticks in our heads.

Has there been any word on what show they're recording this tour? I've been avoiding this site the past month.

Has there been any word on what show they're recording this tour? I've been avoiding this site the past month.

Toronto is the rumor since they are playing two nights there.

I agree with RUSHandOSU - Ged is going all out as this is likely the last go round. I wonder if he got a new voice coach as well?

• Like 1

Toronto is the rumor since they are playing two nights there.

I agree with RUSHandOSU - Ged is going all out as this is likely the last go round. I wonder if he got a new voice coach as well?

From what I've heard from someone who is at the venue, Toronto is definitely being filmed.

• Like 3

Geddy IS singing well. Amazing is not the correct word, please.

He doesn't sound amazing and he doesn't even sound all that good. He does sound stable and smooth, especially compared to the past two tours. His voice is shot and I commend his efforts, but stop deluding yourselves that he sounds great. Great was ESL and HYF.

What we have now is a 60 year old man with a seriously strained voice who is giving us one final shot, which is awesome. I don't care that his voice sounds like crap, but I don't kid myself that he sounds awesome, either. He's Geddy Frickin Lee. He is what he is and always has been, which is awesome in my book.

• Like 6

He doesn't sound amazing and he doesn't even sound all that good. He does sound stable and smooth, especially compared to the past two tours. His voice is shot and I commend his efforts, but stop deluding yourselves that he sounds great. Great was ESL and HYF.

What we have now is a 60 year old man with a seriously strained voice who is giving us one final shot, which is awesome. I don't care that his voice sounds like crap, but I don't kid myself that he sounds awesome, either. He's Geddy Frickin Lee. He is what he is and always has been, which is awesome in my book.

I agree. At least he's hitting the notes he's going for on this tour and that's awesome.

• Like 2

His 2015 live voice is far better than his HYF tour voice in my opinion.

Semantics and opinion stated as fact. Nice job

• Like 1

Just a thought and I've not done the analysis, but it seems to me (entirely unscientific) that there is less time vocally this tour than in previous ones. Anyone willing to do the analysis? My prediction; there is less percentage of time spent singing in this tour than in past tours.

Just a thought and I've not done the analysis, but it seems to me (entirely unscientific) that there is less time vocally this tour than in previous ones. Anyone willing to do the analysis? My prediction; there is less percentage of time spent singing in this tour than in past tours.

This sounds right but I haven't done the analysis either. Jacobs ladder and Xanadu have huge chunks of no vocals

• Like 2

This sounds right but I haven't done the analysis either. Jacobs ladder and Xanadu have huge chunks of no vocals

Same with Cygnus X-1 for this tour

• Like 1

That is exactly why the did the material they did while they still could do it. The next live outings will revisit the synth era that was passed over this time... Please Please Please :drool: :notworthy:

Jacob's Ladder - stress-free vocals, what little there are

Prelude - difficult, but very few vocals

Cygnus - very long stretch of no vocals\

CTTH - difficultish vocally, but a short song

Xanadu - 4 or 5 minutes with no vocals, then 5 or 6 minutes of difficulty

2112 - half is total instrumental, the other half is highly difficult

So yeah, tons of vocal silence during the bulk of the 2nd set. Kinda similar to the 70s run on the R30 Tour.

• Like 1

Funny you mention "stable and smooth", as I think his control when he was younger was awful. I wouldn't call the HYF vocals great, but to my ears the start of being a bit sharp for about 4 tours.