Alex' (guitar)

MJH

I read somewhere,that alex gave away his original white Gibson dbl.neck...is the one he is using a re-issue? Or did he have one custom made?

Interesting question. As most will probably recall, Alex donated his double neck to the RRHOF several years back, but was this actually Alex's famous guitar? The answer is no, sort of. The guitar seen below is a more modern EDS1275 model. You can tell this by the length of the 12 string headstock, which is a lot longer to allow better access to the tuners,

http://media.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/photo/2013/04/12517921-standard.jpg

The RRHOF guitar is likely the one Alex used on the 2004 tour, seen below.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/R0dpJmBHtDs/hqdefault.jpg

Alex's original guitar is a 1970s era (probably 75 or 76) and is distinguished by the short headstock and chrome tuner buttons. It is my belief that this is the same guitar as his original red/brown guitar, but was painted white to hide the massive neck repair.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/andreww1962/RUSH125_zpsa457ad3b.jpg

As you can see, the R40 guitar matches the vintage era guitar and likely is the genuine item.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Lw9TpaC0J78/maxresdefault.jpg

So I am going to guess that the guitar that Alex loaned to Gordie Johnson and then to David Barrett was actually the newer model which ended up in the HOF. Alex's original has been kept safe at home until this tour.

• Like 3

Off-topic, not to be a stickler, but the thread title could be a spoiler for some people? I mean, he's only ever used it on one song, so...

He's used it on several songs actually.

Off-topic, not to be a stickler, but the thread title could be a spoiler for some people? I mean, he's only ever used it on one song, so...

He's used it on several songs actually.

Which ones? I've only ever known him to use it on Xanadu live.

Edited by gudbuytjane

Oh, he used it on Prelude in 1994 as well, I forgot about that. Either way, those are two songs people might be spoiled by knowing he's using it this tour.

And, anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk, people here are sensitive to spoilers, and that thread title might give it away.

a quote from Alex about the doubleneck

The one thing about guitars that drives Lifeson crazy is that people always ask him first about the double-neck guitar he uses on stage. "I use a double neck on onesong," he complained. "We were at a point just after the live album when we were deciding whether we wanted to add a fourth member to the band to play keyboards or guitar, or whether we were going to learn to use new instruments, which is what we did do. Geddy started using a mini moog and I added the double neck. 'Xanadu,' which we were writing at the time, was a perfect candidate for the twelve-string in the chorus so I used the double-neck. I've used it on a couple of songs in the studio but I only use it in one song in the set, and I don't particularly like playing it. I guess I harbor ill will toward it because every time I see a picture of me with a guitar, it's the double-neck!"
  • Like 3

Interesting question. As most will probably recall, Alex donated his double neck to the RRHOF several years back, but was this actually Alex's famous guitar? The answer is no, sort of. The guitar seen below is a more modern EDS1275 model. You can tell this by the length of the 12 string headstock, which is a lot longer to allow better access to the tuners,

http://media.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/photo/2013/04/12517921-standard.jpg

The RRHOF guitar is likely the one Alex used on the 2004 tour, seen below.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/R0dpJmBHtDs/hqdefault.jpg

Alex's original guitar is a 1970s era (probably 75 or 76) and is distinguished by the short headstock and chrome tuner buttons. It is my belief that this is the same guitar as his original red/brown guitar, but was painted white to hide the massive neck repair.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/andreww1962/RUSH125_zpsa457ad3b.jpg

As you can see, the R40 guitar matches the vintage era guitar and likely is the genuine item.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Lw9TpaC0J78/maxresdefault.jpg

So I am going to guess that the guitar that Alex loaned to Gordie Johnson and then to David Barrett was actually the newer model which ended up in the HOF. Alex's original has been kept safe at home until this tour.

With "Heavy" and "Bastard" added to the headstocks. :laughing guy:

• Like 3

a quote from Alex about the doubleneck

The one thing about guitars that drives Lifeson crazy is that people always ask him first about the double-neck guitar he uses on stage. "I use a double neck on onesong," he complained. "We were at a point just after the live album when we were deciding whether we wanted to add a fourth member to the band to play keyboards or guitar, or whether we were going to learn to use new instruments, which is what we did do. Geddy started using a mini moog and I added the double neck. 'Xanadu,' which we were writing at the time, was a perfect candidate for the twelve-string in the chorus so I used the double-neck. I've used it on a couple of songs in the studio but I only use it in one song in the set, and I don't particularly like playing it. I guess I harbor ill will toward it because every time I see a picture of me with a guitar, it's the double-neck!"

Well Alex, these Gibson guitars and Rickenbacker's among Neil's double bass drums are what made RUSH cool and the music sound great. It's when you guy's started switching to those "twangy", thin sounding guitars of the late '80's and '90's which killed the classic sounds of RUSH. Between Alex and then Geddy going to the Steinberger then to the Wal basses, and i might as well toss in Neil going for the Jazz drum setup, this was a tough period for me to be as hard core RUSH fan but I stuck with them!

• Like 1

I have now read both that Alex gave away his original to either Eric Johnson or that guy from Big Sugar. Then again, I think I've now read in print that La Villa Strangiato took one take, three takes, or two? So, you know, comme ci comme ça. It does seem to be verified that the original was a 1975, and cherry red at first, but was repainted Arctic white when it was repaired after having a speaker land on it during the Tour of The Hemispheres. I don't know what happened to it, because in the Eric Johnson version of the story someone stole it from him not long after being given it by Alex. Shrug.

I found this while searching the Google for Alex doubleneck info. It's an interesting overview of doubleneck players over the years:

http://www.premiergu...ti_Neck_Players

Edited by gudbuytjane

I have now read both that Alex gave away his original to either Eric Johnson or that guy from Big Sugar. Then again, I think I've now read in print that La Villa Strangiato took one take, three takes, or two? So, you know, comme ci comme ça. It does seem to be verified that the original was a 1975, and cherry red at first, but was repainted Arctic white when it was repaired after having a speaker land on it during the Tour of The Hemispheres. I don't know what happened to it, because in the Eric Johnson version of the story someone stole it from him not long after being given it by Alex. Shrug.

I found this while searching the Google for Alex doubleneck info. It's an interesting overview of doubleneck players over the years:

http://www.premiergu...ti_Neck_Players

A guitar was leant to Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar who used it as his main axe for quite a while. When he started making some scratch he returned it to Alex. I believe it then went to Eric Johnson who had it stolen from his apartment. Alex had the guitar replaced. It was then loaned to David Barrett who used it to record an album. That guitar is likely the one that ended up in the HOF. I guess that improbably the reason Al is touring with the original again.

Edited by andreww
  • Like 1

There are more of these out there. He could very well have bought several more of them. Doesn't mean the one he is playing now is at all original

Alex did purchase a white Double Neck in the 70's to replace his original brown double neck. I believe he mentioned it in a Guitar player Magazine article in the late 70's. Speaker horn fell and sheared off the necks on the double necks and his tobacco 335, thus he purchased the White double neck and the ES355.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your reply's, I love talkin Rush!, I wish I could have you all over to my home for drinks,we would all talk till dawn...June 10th buffalo is my next Rush show ...take care.
  • Like 2

Thanks for all your reply's, I love talkin Rush!, I wish I could have you all over to my home for drinks,we would all talk till dawn...June 10th buffalo is my next Rush show ...take care.

I'm going to Buffalo too. :)

• Like 1

Section 102 row 22 seats 4-10 I am bringing my ten year old son to his first concert ever! come visit us we shall laugh cry raise our glass and say farewell to the Kings!!
  • Like 1

Section 102 row 22 seats 4-10 I am bringing my ten year old son to his first concert ever! come visit us we shall laugh cry raise our glass and say farewell to the Kings!!

Sounds great. :) I'm not sure what seat I'll have as I bought the VIP tickets. Find out the day of the show. :)