Geddy and Alex's stage gear

r13cents

Are Alex and Geddy actually using Marshall and Ampeg for stage amps or is it dummy cabs. Nice throw back if so.I know in the past few years it's been in ear monitors and dishwashers. which was great and really added to their amazing spectrum of of their personalities. But those 2 brands are all I would allow on a true rock stage. It's nice to see 'em getting back to the beginning for the ending... as it were. I'll be at San Jose

Did anyone notice that the logo on Geddy's Ampeg cabinets does not say "Ampeg"? It says "dirk."

Amazing.

From watching the show on video I'm pretty sure they're props. And the dudes in the red coveralls are throwing those Ampeg heads around FAR too easily (or they're Olympic weightlifters in their spare time).

• Like 1

Are Alex and Geddy actually using Marshall and Ampeg for stage amps or is it dummy cabs. Nice throw back if so.I know in the past few years it's been in ear monitors and dishwashers. which was great and really added to their amazing spectrum of of their personalities. But those 2 brands are all I would allow on a true rock stage. It's nice to see 'em getting back to the beginning for the ending... as it were. I'll be at San Jose

Yes, they are all hollow cabinets with no cables.

Did anyone notice that the logo on Geddy's Ampeg cabinets does not say "Ampeg"? It says "dirk."

Amazing.

From watching the show on video I'm pretty sure they're props. And the dudes in the red coveralls are throwing those Ampeg heads around FAR too easily (or they're Olympic weightlifters in their spare time).

Saw a few clips of these guys pulling stuff away...they should have used guys dressed like the dwarfs from the last tour!!

• Like 1

I understand the theme of this last concert tour but why did RUSH have to go with this stage prop crap that they've been doing for the last 20 years? I mean seriously? Washing machines, popcorn makers??? Why couldn't RUSH just go out there for there last tour and go old school and have the stacks of amps LIVE? Have a direct cord from the guitars to the amps along with the onstage monitors up in front of the stage?

I understand the theme of this last concert tour but why did RUSH have to go with this stage prop crap that they've been doing for the last 20 years? I mean seriously? Washing machines, popcorn makers??? Why couldn't RUSH just go out there for there last tour and go old school and have the stacks of amps LIVE? Have a direct cord from the guitars to the amps along with the onstage monitors up in front of the stage?

Honestly, though, I can appreciate the sentiment, but as much as I have some weird thing about Geddy going direct, I still have to admit all of that processing and modern approach to concert amplification has led to usually pretty fantastic sounding shows. Concerts in the 70's and 80's often sounded like crap, and those walls of amplifiers didn't mix down very well. There's a reason modern audience bootlegs sound so good, and recording technology is only part of it. Often shows did sound as boomy, distant, and echoey in person as they do on some unlistenable boots.

Honestly, though, I can appreciate the sentiment, but as much as I have some weird thing about Geddy going direct, I still have to admit all of that processing and modern approach to concert amplification has led to usually pretty fantastic sounding shows. Concerts in the 70's and 80's often sounded like crap, and those walls of amplifiers didn't mix down very well. There's a reason modern audience bootlegs sound so good, and recording technology is only part of it. Often shows did sound as boomy, distant, and echoey in person as they do on some unlistenable boots.

Yeah...some places sounded great during soundcheck, but when the audience was in the place, it was one large piece of crap! Some bands didn't have enough power for hockey arena's!

Things sound great live, and on bootleg anymore!

Yeah...some places sounded great during soundcheck, but when the audience was in the place, it was one large piece of crap! Some bands didn't have enough power for hockey arena's!

I saw The Who in 1982 at CNE Stadium in Toronto, and it was so muffled at times we'd have to ask each other what song it was. That stadium was the converted ballpark for the Blue Jays, which still had bleachers made from the one side of the ancient football grandstand. And like Candlestick it was by water and had weird weather, and could get windy in that way that could really mess with sound. I'm glad I went, like, historically, but I have no illusions of it having been a fantastic performance.

Cuz it ain't 1981 any more.

Some possible answers...

A ) They aren't playing 5,000 seat venues

B ) They prefer the sound quality they get from all this machinery making modern music

C ) They have determined they are fond of what remains of their hearing

D ) All of the above

I saw The Who in 1982 at CNE Stadium in Toronto, and it was so muffled at times we'd have to ask each other what song it was. That stadium was the converted ballpark for the Blue Jays, which still had bleachers made from the one side of the ancient football grandstand. And like Candlestick it was by water and had weird weather, and could get windy in that way that could really mess with sound. I'm glad I went, like, historically, but I have no illusions of it having been a fantastic performance.

The sad thing is, it probably was a fantastic performance. You just wouldn't have had any chance of noticing it because of the state of stadium sound support at the time. My first Rush show was in the Astrodome. I was also lucky if I could identify the song being played. Funnily enough, I saw the Who there five years later, and the difference in sound quality was unreal. They had come a long way in just five years.

I'm sure they're doing it the way they are because it allows for a consistent quality of sound throughout the concert. As much as we would like them to actually whip out some Ampegs and HiWatts it's just not very practical.
  • Like 2

One reason they didn't do that is it would have messed up the sound to have different amps coming and going throughout the night. Consistent sound quality is more important than working props.

• Like 1

There was a video uploaded just after the Tampa concert where all geddy´s basses and current rig are discussed with Skully McIntosh...suddenly disappeared and I have not been able to find it again...it was great...21 basses ...only the 4080/12 has a backup.... :ph34r: also some of the rack equipment has changed.....still using Orange amps but with a Rivera Power Attenuator on top...dunno what happened to that video...any help welcomed!!