When did you know? (Spoilers)

Merely Space

This time around, for the first time in many tours, I managed to stay unspoiled for my first show (Austin). I really enjoyed not knowing what was next, and the dawning realization of what they were doing with the "theme" of the show, so to speak.

So, my question is this. For those who saw a show more or less unspoiled (youtube and periscope counts), when did you realize they were taking us on a journey back through time?

For me, it was a ways in. I thought it a little odd (and lazy) that the show started out with what appeared to be their CA tour set. But I was enjoying what they were playing, so didn't think much about it. The first "set change" during Headlong Flight was a little ambiguous. I could see they (red jumpsuits) were doing something, but the change on Alex's side was pretty subtle. I could see a washing machine on Geddy's side, and I thought it was a cool shout out a previous tour, but didn't really put it together. When they went into Farcry, I became suspicious, but, again, I was too busy rocking out to put it all together. But when they went into MMB, I really started wondering if they were doing a reverse chronological order thing. And the "set change" during MMB seemed to confirm this. I could see that they were putting amps on Alex's side, and Geddy got another washing machine. "They're going back in time!" I shouted to my wife excitedly (she might have heard me). And every song for the rest of the first set was sweet confirmation. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, and the best "big drop" moment was when they skipped from RTB to GUP in one fell swoop. "Wow! We're going old fast!" I thought to myself.

So, what about you? When did you know?

• Like 3

I just saw them in Atlanta and I was able to avoid the set list spoilers and I’m very glad that I did. I did sort of accidentally see a couple pictures so I knew that they were going to change the stage setup. But I didn’t know to what extent they would change the stage and that they would do it little by little during the songs. When they started to bring out Alex’s Hughes and Kettner cabinets and Geddy’s washing machines, I realized that they were going backward in order.
  • Like 1

I was at Austin as well. I think "Far Cry" was when I became the most suspect. By "Roll the Bones", I figured it out.

I remember thinking MAYBE the "time machine" would end at the end of the second set and that the encore might be some mixed up favorites, but after "Tom Sawyer" and "The Spirit of Radio" were played fairly early in the second set, I figured it would "end at the beginning".

When I first saw the red uniformed roadies, I didn't quite catch what was going on. I thought maybe they were fixing some broken amps or something.

Clem

• Like 1

I knew in advance but the first time I thought it was obvious was when (don't remember song) the screen showed the clockwork Angels clock and the hand we're spinning backwards.
  • Like 1

So, through deduction about 30 mins before Opening Night, I figured out the theme. I had side view tickets on Geddy's side about 4 rows back, so I saw the stage set up in its glory. I also was able to get a peek at the washers/dryers behind the Gedison.. That was very cool!!!

Beginning of February when Neil appeared on the Ladd show. He twice used the word "chronological" in that interview.

This, the news about the two kits and hearing Far Cry pretty much sealed it for me.

Well, I heard the interview with Neil, early in the year, and I thought they were going to start from the original album and go forward.

I really tried to avoid spoilers, but someone said that Headlong Flight was the opener, so I got confused.

I accidentally saw a video on You Tube where they played "Jacobs Ladder," so that was out of the bag, and I PM'd Narpski to see if they were going to play "Subdivisions," and he said yes. So I only knew 3 songs.

Then, in Atlanta they opened with The Anarchist. I was like, "WTF?" Then, they played "Clockwork Angels," and then "Headlong Flight," and I started to become a little pissed off, to be honest. Then, they played "Far Cry" and "The Main Monkey business." At that point, I'm like, "Ohhhhh Kaaaaay, I think I see what's happening." Then, when they played "One little Vick Tor EEE" it was obvious.

• Like 1

When my son noticed the clock on the screen moving backwards during Clockwork Angels (song 2 in St. Paul)

This time around, for the first time in many tours, I managed to stay unspoiled for my first show (Austin). I really enjoyed not knowing what was next, and the dawning realization of what they were doing with the "theme" of the show, so to speak.

So, my question is this. For those who saw a show more or less unspoiled (youtube and periscope counts), when did you realize they were taking us on a journey back through time?

For me, it was a ways in. I thought it a little odd (and lazy) that the show started out with what appeared to be their CA tour set. But I was enjoying what they were playing, so didn't think much about it. The first "set change" during Headlong Flight was a little ambiguous. I could see they (red jumpsuits) were doing something, but the change on Alex's side was pretty subtle. I could see a washing machine on Geddy's side, and I thought it was a cool shout out a previous tour, but didn't really put it together. When they went into Farcry, I became suspicious, but, again, I was too busy rocking out to put it all together. But when they went into MMB, I really started wondering if they were doing a reverse chronological order thing. And the "set change" during MMB seemed to confirm this. I could see that they were putting amps on Alex's side, and Geddy got another washing machine. "They're going back in time!" I shouted to my wife excitedly (she might have heard me). And every song for the rest of the first set was sweet confirmation. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, and the best "big drop" moment was when they skipped from RTB to GUP in one fell swoop. "Wow! We're going old fast!" I thought to myself.

So, what about you? When did you know?

This is almost precisely my experience, right down to it being Austin and shouting to my wife, "They're going back in time!"

And the jump to "Between the Wheels" is when I really got excited and settled in. I like "Animate" well enough, but by that point I understood what they were doing and, well, I'm a bigger fan of FBN through Signals, so I couldn't wait to get to the good stuff. I thought "Subdivisions" was a great first set closer, and I predicted at that point that "Tom Sawyer" would open the second set. But I had no idea what to expect from there. I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the night. "Camera Eye," whoa cool! Wait, no "Limelight"? Interesting. And then "The Spirit of Radio" really caught me off guard, not because I shouldn't have anticipated its arrival, but because it was odd hearing it in the middle of a set. And until they launched into TSOR I still thought they might end the second set with "Working Man" and then do an encore of TSOR and "YYZ," or something similar. But once TSOR kicked in I knew "Working Man" would be the closer.

I was losing my shit from "Jacob's Ladder" through "Working Man," and I'm even one of those folks who thinks "Jacob's Ladder" is overrated. It was outstanding in Austin, partly because a thunderstorm had been threatening the evening for most of the day. Without question, the biggest surprises were 'What You're Doing" and the closing section of "Cygnus X-1." I absolutely could not have predicted those.

I was absolutely blown away. I've seen virtually everyone you can think of live over the last 25 years. I immediately told my wife that it was easily in my top five concerts all time, maybe number one. And this had so much to do with making a commitment to not look at the setlist and see spoilers. which I never do, quite the opposite--I study setlists of bands I don't even like that much. I went back in time too, to being a teenager and going to a concert with absolutely NO idea what to expect, from the stage setup to the instruments to the setlist. It was such a :rush: !!!!!!

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 4

I avoided this forum and Facebook posts and managed to go to the Chicago show with my dd with no clue about the set list. When they finished songs from CA and moved onto "Far Cry" I leaned over to my dd and told her I thought they were going backwards. When they played "One Little Victory" after the "Main Monkey Business" that confirmed it for me. After the concert I learned about the three different set lists. We had set list C in Chicago. I could not believe I saw them play "Natural Science", "Jacob's Ladder" and "Xanadu" all in one evening. Still riding the wave of euphoria.
  • Like 1