Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

I have to admit that my usual initial excitement about some new Rush faded pretty quickly after I had watched it a couple of times. However, that initial fanboy/fanboi/fanperson/fanatic excitement about new Rush is what will probably keep me buying stuff as long as they release it. With some exceptions that are out of my price range.

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

Well we know how that turned out. Wasn't even close to matching the experience.

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

:popcorn: This may take a while... :)

Or maybe not. If the complaints about the CA DVD are that Geddy can't sing and the show was pretty boring, then I think that'll confirm it was very much representative of the show.

And the person or persons with ADHD that pieced it together. That about covers it... *putsawaypopcorn*

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

You kinda answered your own question. The essence of the show you saw was boredom. The show I saw was a band firing on all cylinders.

But to put it simply, I think the DVD sounds crappy.

• Like 2

Mick

You kinda answered your own question. The essence of the show you saw was boredom. The show I saw was a band firing on all cylinders.

I wonder if you would've said the same thing about the Seattle show?

Edited by JARG

CA dvd give me a headache 15 seconds into the 1st song. the editing is horrible i've only watched it once since buying it.

Mick

Same here but I watched it twice. I can't believe how bad the editing is on the DVD. Besides all the jumping around every two seconds, and the audience perspective shots were goofy. At one point I think it was during Tom Sawyer that Geddys bass changes from sunburst and back to black in the middle of the song. Whoever stitched that thing together must have been on drugs. I was really looking forward to seeing it initially since it was a great show and every one that I saw during the tour was full of energy and fire. Geddys vocals could've been better, but he hung in there. But boy what a disappointment when that came out on DVD. It was nowhere near the experience I had actually seeing them in person.

Edited by EagleMoon

CA dvd give me a headache 15 seconds into the 1st song. the editing is horrible i've only watched it once since buying it.

Mick

Same here but I watched it twice. I can't believe how bad the editing is on the DVD. Besides all the jumping around every two seconds, and the audience perspective shots were goofy. At one point I think it was during Tom Sawyer that Geddys bass changes from sunburst and back to black in the middle of the song. Whoever stitched that thing together must have been on drugs. I was really looking forward to seeing it initially since it was a great show and every one that I saw during the tour was full of energy and fire. Geddys vocals could've been better, but he hung in there. But boy what a disappointment when that came out on DVD. It was nowhere near the experience I had actually seeing them in person.

That's exactly why I'm filming snippets here and there during the shows that I'm attending. At the moment I'm watching my clips from the Dallas, Houston & NOLA shows and I'm putting togeher a list of clips which I can use for my own mini version of the R40 tour movie :)

I'll probably create another trailer first for fun just like the one that I've created from my CA clips:

http://youtu.be/OaxdN1v6bAc

• Like 2

Mick

That's exactly why I'm filming snippets here and there during the shows that I'm attending. At the moment I'm watching my clips from the Dallas, Houston & NOLA shows and I'm putting togeher a list of clips which I can use for my own mini version of the R40 tour movie :)

I'll probably create another trailer first for fun just like the one that I've created from my CA clips:

http://youtu.be/OaxdN1v6bAc

Wow, that was really well done! :) It captured a lot of the energy that you feel during a concert.

• Like 1

Mick

The sound is abysmal.

Mick

You did eat it though...it couldn't have been all that bad...lol

Listening to live bootlegs from 1976-1979 makes me wish I was alive back then to see them live at full power.

I was and i did----truly magical :rush:

Agreed. Just wish I could remember it... :eh:
  • Like 1

Listening to live bootlegs from 1976-1979 makes me wish I was alive back then to see them live at full power.

of all the things i miss, i miss my mind the most :codger:

Mick

I'm not a fan of the DVD. The actual studio album...that's another matter.

• Like 1

I miss my mind too. Maybe now would be a good time to post the old Vanilla Fudge tune Where is My Mind?

• Like 1

I miss my mind too. Maybe now would be a good time to post the old Vanilla Fudge tune Where is My Mind?

Ask and ye shall receive... :) :hug2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8bDyK79-M

• Like 2

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

There was nothing wrong with Tulsa. At all.

It was a fun show, and a sight to behold watching them unfurl that setlist with no knowledge of what was to come!

• Like 2

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

It was a fun show, and a sight to behold watching them unfurl that setlist with no knowledge of what was to come!

This was my takeaway as well. Lorraine is setting off alarms on account of things that are typically normal for the first show of a tour. Bit overblown. I've enjoyed observing the steady improvement of Ged's voice over the first 11 shows

Ask and ye shall receive... :) :hug2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8bDyK79-M

Ah, the good old days! :codger: :LOL: :hug2:

• Like 1

This was my takeaway as well. Lorraine is setting off alarms on account of things that are typically normal for the first show of a tour. Bit overblown. I've enjoyed observing the steady improvement of Ged's voice over the first 11 shows

I resent that.

I'm not setting off any alarms.

I'm entitled to my observations as much as you are.

• Like 3

Mick

I wonder if you would've said the same thing about the Seattle show?

I don't know. Here is some footage I shot in Portland. The rock was on full display.

http://youtu.be/qSUeUBW5r0E

I resent that.

You defend your right to speak your mind!

Good grief guys you can love a band and still see the wood for the trees!

• Like 1

I resent that.

So don't resent my observations Lorraine, but what you posted is what you posted, I can respond to what you write--it's what we do here:

"something is way off in Rushland"--Alarm number 1

"If I spent hundreds of dollars on a ticket I'd be insulted"

"Neil looked utterly bored"--this is expected when you watch Pratt drum

'"their heart wasn't in it"

"Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. "

Here are your comments.

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1