Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

Gotta say, from CA tour, it's definitely a shock to see the level of playing drop off. Mainly from Neil. Even on this tour. I can tell he's in some serious f***ing pain, and it's sad.

But at least they were on fire on Time Machine Tour. Look at the playing overall on TM, and then watch CA tour, definite drop off (individually, not as a whole cohesive group)

And while I went and saw them in Tampa and it was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm starting to notice the slips, the lack of expression and interplay from the guys, on numerous videos. Mainly once again, Neil and Alex (Alex seems to be hurting a bit.) It seems like they are falling, and fast.

I always thought that Geddy would be the first to go, mainly with his voice.

I guess touring for a good 10 years flat (minus 3 years off throughout the years) is starting to take its toll.

Also the CD version of TMT is kind of shit, but when i'm watching the movie, it seems to have a different mix to it slightly, and I enjoy that more.

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

• Like 2

I'm not upset i skipped this tour.......but i enjoyed the tulsa show on the whole. I thought it might have been a first show high. but weeks later I still enjoy it. What i've seen of the following shows.........just not good. flame me if you must but this has been really not good. They're hurting. Neil and Al just LOOK like they couldn't care less.

So yea. not sorry i skipped.

Mick

Just wanted to say what I saw the other night was pretty damn great. I think I may have had my rose colored glasses with me but that second set was chill inducing all the way through... Edited by Narps
  • Like 8

Just wanted to say what i saw the other night was pretty damn great. I think I may have had my rose colored glasses with me but that second set was chill inducing all the way through...

Wait for the DVD narps

Hehee :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

Just wanted to say what i saw the other night was pretty damn great. I think I may have had my rose colored glasses with me but that second set was chill inducing all the way through...

Wait for the DVD narps

Mick

I was thinking about it when watching the show. I was hoping they were taping it then because the sound was good and Ged was busting a hump on the vocals and sounded better than I expected. They will screw it up somehow I know that already...
  • Like 1

Gotta say, from CA tour, it's definitely a shock to see the level of playing drop off. Mainly from Neil. Even on this tour. I can tell he's in some serious f***ing pain, and it's sad.

But at least they were on fire on Time Machine Tour. Look at the playing overall on TM, and then watch CA tour, definite drop off (individually, not as a whole cohesive group)

And while I went and saw them in Tampa and it was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm starting to notice the slips, the lack of expression and interplay from the guys, on numerous videos. Mainly once again, Neil and Alex (Alex seems to be hurting a bit.) It seems like they are falling, and fast.

I always thought that Geddy would be the first to go, mainly with his voice.

I guess touring for a good 10 years flat (minus 3 years off throughout the years) is starting to take its toll.

Also the CD version of TMT is kind of shit, but when i'm watching the movie, it seems to have a different mix to it slightly, and I enjoy that more.

The TMT tour proves that Geddy was the first to go. I'm glad that you can watch the DVD and appreciate the playing, but I can't because Geddy's voice is so horrible on that disk. Admittedly, they seem to have caught him on the worst night of the tour, as he rarely sounds that bad. In fact, he's sounded quite good most of this tour.

• Like 2

Still haven't watched the Tulsa show and kept at the very least youtube sniffing, but I think what you say is now common to all the great bands around aged 60 or more.

I feel sorry for Neil and Alex aching and maybe I'm just a simple guy, but from my point of view on the other side of the fence and in my opinion a little bit of heaven is still welcome.

• Like 2

Tulsa my first experience with an opening night was a bit of a let down. I chalked it up to the venue, the weather, the 1st half set list but something just felt a bit ho-hum.

The highlight of my 48 hours in Tulsa was being surrounded by RUSH fans and meeting SOCN players. That doesnt say much aboot the band. That is why I feel the need to see another show this tour or maybe not and just save the cash for cigars and prime rib.

• Like 1

Wait for the DVD narps

Mick

I was thinking about it when watching the show. I was hoping they were taping it then because the sound was good and Ged was busting a hump on the vocals and sounded better than I expected. They will screw it up somehow I know that already...

BTW. I feel like an ass for not saying i'm glad you had a great time..

Mick

• Like 2

Tulsa my first experience with an opening night was a bit of a let down. I chalked it up to the venue, the weather, the 1st half set list but something just felt a bit ho-hum.

The highlight of my 48 hours in Tulsa was being surrounded by RUSH fans and meeting SOCN players. That doesnt say much aboot the band. That is why I feel the need to see another show this tour or maybe not and just save the cash for cigars and prime rib.

You were there and you felt it too. I was just sitting at my computer watching. It broke my heart.

I'm sure regardless of how they sound in Toronto I'll be glad I saw this tour in a few years. Sure it's just a memory, but some memories last forever get better as you get older and have a harder time recollecting things. :)
  • Like 7

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Lorraine, I know what song you were talking about. While i was jamming out to it, it seems like it was just another by the books.

I'll always have the show in my heart as one of the best shows i've ever been to, because I mean, it's Rush. their worst is someone elses best.

Also, i'm not necessarily talking about Geddy's vox on TMT. The until collectively plays their asses off. Look at Freewill, or Marathon, the finesse is still there, Neil actually looks like he's beating the ever loving shit out of his kit.

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

You wouldn't. You have an emotional attachment to them.

• Like 1

I dunno, I just know Alex is in pain, and Neil is clearly in pain. Geddy seems to be the only one who's really into and I think we can all agree that at some point it's just not fun anymore, right? At this point, after seeing them one last time and coming to the conclusion, I can safely say that if they decide to retire. I'm okay with that. It took a long time to come to that conclusion as a fan of the band for 20 years. But I did.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

Edited by Lorraine

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

The thing that struck me the most at my show was Ged was playing and singing his @ss off. It stood out the most. he was killing it on all of the basses he was playing. It was amazing. Neil blended into the woodwork for the most part...
  • Like 1

Some of this could be because it's just the beginning of the tour. It will be interesting to see how things play out as time goes on.
  • Like 2

I must say, it was the greatest concert experience of my life. I've seen Rush about 15 times or so, and this was by far the best: the crowd was into it more than at any other show, the setlist was by far the best, Geddy's vocals were great. I mean, I liked meeting you and everything, but the show was the big star for me. In a live concert setting I don't mind small miscues like many Rush fans obsess over (in fact, I almost like it as I like Rush to change things up...if I wanted to hear the record I'd stay at home) so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Like 3

My daughter had on the Palladia channel yesterday and they were rerunning TMT in the afternoon; how strange, I was thinking a lot of these same things. I actually had to go and check the date and couldn't believe it was only 4 years and (and 1 month) ago that it was taped. I won't rehash Alex too much, we all know he is suffering from health issues, but the difference between his performance that night and on this tour really stood out to me. As well as what Lorraine said above, I can't put my finger on it, but yes, something vital is missing, although Geddy seems to be in better voice than he has been in a long time :)

• Like 1

I hear quite the opposite. From the pace of the songs (not slowed down as much as recently) to some playful changes to some great individual performances, they seem like they are giving it what they have and enjoying it, even if Neil and (especially) Alex aren't lighting the world on fire as much as they used to.

• Like 3

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(