Heresy and Neurotica

D3strukt

Thanks to this topic, I´m listening to Roll the Bones in full at work today. I take it for what it is, and enjoy it quite a lot!

Funy enough, a lot of people think RTB is Rush playing safe. I think it´s the exact opposite: a band betting on themselves and releasing an album of new material, in a time when a lot of other bands were confused with the new state of things in the music business and started to bet on live albums and compilations. Think of how many bands went down that route at the time: Kiss (Alive IV), Iron Maiden (A Real Live One, A Real Dead One, Live at Donnington), AC/DC (AC/DC Live), Van Halen (Live Right Here Right Now). Many other less expressive acts fell apart with the rise of grunge, but not Rush, who stuck to their guns and kept releasing new and interesting music during that period.

And it reversed a decade long slide in album sales and got the band on the radio in a big way for the first time in almost as long.

It did. i remember Dreamline being pimped out hard on the radio back in he day, lol.

Mick

What's up with them not playing these? At least Neurotica, that's a pretty rockin song. I think I made a topic about how I "found" the song a few years ago. I refound it again shortly before the Tampa show. It's a damn good song!

Heresy has a great Vocal melody.

Simple question: why would they dare even consider including those songs into these setlists of awesomeness? if they did, you might as well consider it a second intermission because 10k people would head for the bathrooms.

I can't think of any less desireable songs for them to play on this tour.

Everyone is entitled to their guilty pleasures but I think the guilt is well justified for these.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 2

What's up with them not playing these? At least Neurotica, that's a pretty rockin song. I think I made a topic about how I "found" the song a few years ago. I refound it again shortly before the Tampa show. It's a damn good song!

Neurotica? Not bad but...

Noo OOOH OOOH OOOH OOOH OOOO

Thanks to this topic, I´m listening to Roll the Bones in full at work today. I take it for what it is, and enjoy it quite a lot!

Funy enough, a lot of people think RTB is Rush playing safe. I think it´s the exact opposite: a band betting on themselves and releasing an album of new material, in a time when a lot of other bands were confused with the new state of things in the music business and started to bet on live albums and compilations. Think of how many bands went down that route at the time: Kiss (Alive IV), Iron Maiden (A Real Live One, A Real Dead One, Live at Donnington), AC/DC (AC/DC Live), Van Halen (Live Right Here Right Now). Many other less expressive acts fell apart with the rise of grunge, but not Rush, who stuck to their guns and kept releasing new and interesting music during that period.

Any album that has a Geddy Lee pitch shifting rap in the title song is for sure not playing it safe.

• Like 3

Simple question: why would they dare even consider including those songs into these setlists of awesomeness? if they did, you might as well consider it a second intermission because 10k people would head for the bathrooms.

I can't think of any less desireable songs for them to play on this tour.

Everyone is entitled to their guilty pleasures but I think the guilt is well justified for these.

No spoilers yo!

I mean, i'm sure no one expected them to be played.

Anyway, it wasn't necessarily for this tour, more like, tours past. Alex has been talking about wanting to cut his teeth into some deep shit.

Huh, maybe i'm alone then. *shrug*

Ironically, I don't like RTB, or Dreamline much, but I love Ghost and Face Up.

I like both songs, though they aren't perfect by any means. Heresy strikes me as better than Neurotica, only because the latter's chorus is pretty weak.

I prefer the latter two songs as well.

Maybe it is because I am a child of the Cold War, but I rather like Hersey. I find it to be one of Neil's genuinely smarter songs.

The counter-revolution

at the counter of a store.

People buy the things they want.

And borrow for a little more.

That pretty much summed up exactly what happened in the reunification of Germany and, frankly, given the timing of the song, Neil actually predicted it.

• Like 3

I prefer the latter two songs as well.

I like You Bet Your Life!

*runs for cover

• Like 2

I have always loved RTB and can easily play it right through.I like every song but i must admit Neurotica does have goofy lyrics in the chorus.As mentioned Heresy is a great studio song but i don't think it would go down well live.A mate who stopped listening to Rush after Signals says RTB is too shiny and poppy and theres no grunt in the guitar like on (yawn)MP.Yes ,i agree with him but that is why i love the band to see what they can come up with next.I love every era of Rush and can easily play Caress of Steel next to RTB.Also i can play RTB without the wife getting cranky.
  • Like 1

Heresy and Bravado both fit into the "Rush soft-rock" mold, and they only ever play Bravado. I think Heresy would be a much better mid-setlist piece to relax things. I suppose Neurotica could accomplish the same, but I'd prefer Heresy.

And it reversed a decade long slide in album sales and got the band on the radio in a big way for the first time in almost as long.

Record company helped out in a big way. It was really the last time they got any serious record label support. They released FIVE singles to radio and Roll The Bones and Ghost Of a Chance were released as commerical singles (overseas) For example, Roll The Bones was released in the UK as a trilogy of CD singles with different B-Sides. Roll The Bones and Ghost Of a Chance were the last 45s to be released until Caravan/BU2B. The band toured the US three times and one in Europe in 1991-92.

Good times for a collector too.

Record company helped out in a big way. It was really the last time they got any serious record label support. They released FIVE singles to radio and Roll The Bones and Ghost Of a Chance were released as commerical singles (overseas) For example, Roll The Bones was released in the UK as a trilogy of CD singles with different B-Sides. Roll The Bones and Ghost Of a Chance were the last 45s to be released until Caravan/BU2B. The band toured the US three times and one in Europe in 1991-92.

Hmmm.I wonder if Ray Danniel$ came to them and said, "hey boys, throw me a friggin bone here. I'm out there busting my buns canvassing Atlantic Records here and Ahmet Ertegun says he can make it worth your while to write some hits, something we can get on the raido. times are changing and we cannot get swept away in the tide here, so do me a solid, break out the hits for me!"

It did. i remember Dreamline being pimped out hard on the radio back in he day, lol.

Mick

Around here we got Ghost of a Chance ...alot.

I've never heard Dreamline on the radio.

Hmmm.I wonder if Ray Danniel$ came to them and said, "hey boys, throw me a friggin bone here. I'm out there busting my buns canvassing Atlantic Records here and Ahmet Ertegun says he can make it worth your while to write some hits, something we can get on the raido. times are changing and we cannot get swept away in the tide here, so do me a solid, break out the hits for me!"

I'm not sure if Rush lets Ray Danniels ( or anyone else from a label) anywhere near a control room during the creative process.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Rush lets Ray Danniels ( or anyone else from a label) anywhere near a control room during the creative process.

Nor should they.

I was listening to RTB end to end last night in the car while driving to and fro a friends place. The thing about RTB that really stands out to me is how weak-sauce Alex's guitar tone is throughout. Forget the lyrics, song structures, etc etc.....if they were able to remix/record that one with a way more upfront aggressive tone like what he had on Counterparts, I think that alone would make it a much better sounding album. The weak guitar on RTB stands out to me much more than it did on Presto or HYF. Certain parts of songs, like the pre-chorus chords on You Bet Your Life, sound like he forgot to turn his amp on or that he's playing two rooms away from the mics Edited by jnoble

Neurotica is as derivative and repetitive a Rush song as you can get...the chorus sounds like a thousand other Rush tunes and sucks worse than all of them. Utterly forgetful. Heresy...well I don't even remember how that song goes but it sucks just for being on RTB.
  • Like 1

Neurotica is as derivative and repetitive a Rush song as you can get...the chorus sounds like a thousand other Rush tunes and sucks worse than all of them. Utterly forgetful. Heresy...well I don't even remember how that song goes but it sucks just for being on RTB.

:o

Mick

Around here we got Ghost of a Chance ...alot.

I've never heard Dreamline on the radio.

I still hear it fairly frequently on the radio.

Please "do not" post songs that are played or not played on this tour.

Post it in the "spoiler thread. Thanks. ;)