SPOILER- Alex's Technical Glitch in the Big Easy

This is the second show where this happened to Alex while I was there in the crowd. Brooklyn 2012 was the other one. How bizarre... :scared:

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/311378/311378_full.jpg

Member Title: The Cooler

This is the second show where this happened to Alex while I was there in the crowd. Brooklyn 2012 was the other one. How bizarre... :scared:

How close are you standing to Alex when it happens? ;)

LOL, in Brooklyn I was in row 4 on the opposite end of the floor from Lerxst. In NOLA I was in row 13 right next to the center aisle.

In Brooklyn on the CA tour, during Overture, same thing happened, Al couldn't find the guitar tech, I think he had to soft toss the guitar off stage to get the tech's attention. Then he gave up for a minute, and started dancing to 2112!

Is there video of this somewhere?! Youtube, etc. That's hilarious!

Here you go. :)

I've watched this video a few times, and here is what I think happened. It sounds like Alex broke a string during the first chorus (you can really hear it when he lets that last chord ring), so he takes it off to give it to his tech (who was right there, he didn't have to find him). The issue is, 2112 is tuned down, and Alex only had one guitar on that tour tuned for it (if I recall correctly from reading his gear list from that tour). So, the tech had to restring it in real time. This can be done pretty fast, in a matter of seconds. But, of course while waiting for it, every second seemed like an eternity.

• Like 3

In Brooklyn on the CA tour, during Overture, same thing happened, Al couldn't find the guitar tech, I think he had to soft toss the guitar off stage to get the tech's attention. Then he gave up for a minute, and started dancing to 2112!

I've watched this video a few times, and here is what I think happened. It sounds like Alex broke a string during the first chorus (you can really hear it when he lets that last chord ring), so he takes it off to give it to his tech (who was right there, he didn't have to find him). The issue is, 2112 is tuned down, and Alex only had one guitar on that tour tuned for it (if I recall correctly from reading his gear list from that tour). So, the tech had to restring it in real time. This can be done pretty fast, in a matter of seconds. But, of course while waiting for it, every second seemed like an eternity.

Exactly what I thought... no backup tuned to D - I bet he has one this tour! LOL

• Like 3

At the Newsrk show on CA, Neil's bass drum pedal broke. Lorne was working feverishly around the drum kit during the middle if the song. There was a short break after the song so they could fix it properly.

Could be. How do you interpret his hand gestures immediately after he hands the guitar over? It kind of looks like a WTF? gesture.

In Tampa during the S&A tour Alex's guitar was out of tune for OLV and they actually stopped for a few seconds while Alex walked off stage. Geddy said "a brief pause" then Alex started playing while walking back onstage and Geddy and Neil picked right back up. No big deal. It never turned into a train wreck much to their credit. Alex always looks seriously pissed whenever there's an issue but it must just be heat of the moment since he keeps bringing Scotty back.

That's awesome!

We were on Geddy's side and saw Alex struggling, I told my buddy this is not good.

Been a long time since I seen a glitch that bad.

I remember many tours ago, Alex broke 2 strings at the start of TSOR , took like 30 seconds to get a new guitar..but nothing like this.

Now I want the New Orleans bootleg

I was in the 3rd row right in front of Alex in NO and saw this all unfolding. I was surprised afterwards how many people (some with very good seats) didn't even realize that two guitars failed. I'm wondering if maybe it was the wireless pack that failed and not the guitars. I saw that happen to Vinnie Moore at BB Kings in NY a few months ago.

One thing I know for sure, Alex was visibly pissed when we all started cheering as he finally got a guitar to work.(They weren't Bronx cheers, we were trying to be positive) And I think he was even more pissed as he left the stage for intermission. I was disappointed, because Between the Wheels is one of my favorite songs, and I especially like that solo at the start of the song, and I paid a good bit of $$ to get a seat right in front of Lerxst... But I totally understand that that's just how things go sometimes. :huh:

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought... no backup tuned to D - I bet he has one this tour! LOL

Just the way he's gesturing at the roadie, while he's coming back up the stairs "Will you HURRY up!!" :banghead: Haha! :Alex:

It must have been a wireless battery pack that failed. I don't believe you could restring and tune and stretch the strings on a guitar that quick.

You absolutely can restring that fast, I don't believe there's any locking nut on that guitar, so it's just string and tune. Can be done in under a minute. The battery pack was fine, and you can actually hear the guitar out of tune on that last sustained chord, which usually means a string broke.

I believe the reason why he was gesturing and all that was simply because he was pissed. In the moment he probably wasn't thinking there wasn't a backup in the correct tuning. He just had a broken string and wanted a new guitar. It probably dawned on him once he handed it over that it had to be restrung and it wasn't just a guitar swap. They're in the middle of a song and he needs a guitar restrung, he's just frustrated and wants the roadie to hurry. No one's fault, just one of those things.

Edited by kevind2112
  • Like 1

It must have been a wireless battery pack that failed. I don't believe you could restring and tune and stretch the strings on a guitar that quick.

You absolutely can restring that fast, I don't believe there's any locking nut on that guitar, so it's just string and tune. Can be done in under a minute. The battery pack was fine, and you can actually hear the guitar out of tune on that last sustained chord, which usually means a string broke.

I believe the reason why he was gesturing and all that was simply because he was pissed. In the moment he probably wasn't thinking there wasn't a backup in the correct tuning. He just had a broken string and wanted a new guitar. It probably dawned on him once he handed it over that it had to be restrung and it wasn't just a guitar swap. They're in the middle of a song and he needs a guitar restrung, he's just frustrated and wants the roadie to hurry. No one's fault, just one of those things.

Yes of course! I don't know why I was thinking about restringing all six strings?

• Like 1

Someone needs to make a gif file of Alex doing that little dance during 2112. :lol

Here you go. Not sure how exactly to post media to this forum but here's a lin to my public DropBox folder.

https://dl.dropboxus...Lifeson jig.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Miscellanious/Alef%20Lifeson%20jig.gif

• Like 1

Good one!

Never saw that. Wow. Awesome.