How did you discover Rush ?

Tuesday's Gone

actually, in all seriousness, it was my neighbor. He was a couple years older than me, in a HS band. He handed me Chronicles and told me to listen to disc 2... then disc 1. I was hooked.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine new their the seeker cover. Told my dad and he was fascinated, so he started giving me their albums. I remember when he told me to look after Closer To The Heart and his warning was "be careful, the singer is not the most handsome..."
  • Like 2

:drool: :kisshug:I heard 2112 and I was flabbergasted and completely addicted to these guys right from the start!!

I always sort of knew them as "the guys with the high voice on the radio that did 'Freewill'" throughout my younger, Metallica and Green Day-laden years, but it wasn't until May 2005, when one of my best friends from college, Mike, and I, took a road trip from Ithaca, NY (where we went to school) to my parents' summer cottage on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick (where Neil and Brutus actually once stayed in the mid-90s), for a week of post-school relaxing, brews, and good food. There, during a very rainy/foggy Victoria Day, we did up some burgers indoors and listened to RUSH (starting with Chronicles, and working our way through most of the catalog over the next couple days). Needless to say, I was hooked, and have now seen them live 8 times (soon to be 11).

The two best shows among the 8 so far were October 2012 in Bridgeport on the CA tour, as well as April 2011 in Hershey (about a week before they filmed the Time Machine DVD...Ged's voice sure didn't sound ragged THAT night!). Also, seeing them at the NY State Fair in my hometown, Syracuse, in 2010 was pretty special, since they hadn't played in the Salt City since the Signals tour. That Syracuse show was the only one I got to see with Mike, as he moved to Oregon shortly thereafter, but, in what will likely be my final RUSH show, in Portland on July 21, I will get to see with him. If we won't be seeing RUSH again after that night, at least I get to see my final show with my dear friend who got me into them.

• Like 1

Not long after ATWAS came out, a friend that saw them a few weeks earlier told me that I would totally get into this drummer, and played Working Man through the drum solo for me. I was hooked! So I'm almost a 40 year fan!
  • Like 2

Guitar Hero. Originally heard YYZ in Guitar Hero II, but never really gave it much thought. When the last one came out, I got heavily into the 2112 chapter, and I remember falling in love with it. Got the Moving Pictures DLC of To, Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Limelight and just,loved it. I was in my local CD Shop and saw the Time Machine album with two parts of 2112 and the four other songs I knew at the time. I remember listening to it in the car and instantly loving Spirit of Radio and BU2B. Then the love truly began. Downloaded everything (as Time Machine was all they had after I'd bought Clockwork Angels) and then found Sector 2 boxset which I bought instantly. After enduring eye surgery for the first time, my Grandparents gave me Sectors 1 and 3. Thats all I ever found until they brought out The Studio Albums 1989-2007. I've also bought a lot of the Live stuff online, but need to buy the CD of Snakes and anything from Rush in Rio. Also got the Replay X3 stuff for my birthday last year. I,know the question was how did you discover Rush, but that's pretty much my history with them.

11 years old in '76 and older brother brings home ATWAS. Got earlier albums and Rush became second favorite band after Led Zeppelin. Then AFTK came out and Rush took over first place but not by too much (my obsession for Xanadu edged out my obsession for Kashmir). Then Hemispheres came out and no other band seemed half as important. That lasted through ESL but still a pretty good run of total dominance :) . Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

It´s a long story, but to make a long story short...

My dad had tried to convince me to like Moving Pictures (only album he had) for like a year. I did not liked it at all... I HATED Geddy´s voice.

But then Rush came to Sweden on their Time Machine Tour, so my dad fixed tickets from his job and forced me to join him. And then when they played Stick It Out... I was stuck.

And then when I got home, I fixed all their music (downloaded it first, and then bought the CDs one by one). The first album I really liked was Snakes & Arrows, I was listening to it every day for weeks. And then I started to explore their music more.

I remember the last album I was listening to was Hemispheres. I was not really into Prog rock back then, before I found Rush I was listening to simple Rock music (Queen, Bad Company etc).

And now I am the one that is teaching dad all the Rush music, since he only knew about Moving Pictures.

Honestly I don't mean this critically at all but this post cracked me up. "My dad had tried to convince me to like Moving Pictures (only album he had) for like a year. I did not liked it at all... (but) when they played Stick It Out... I was stuck." :o

You hated MP but you were "stuck" by Stick it Out. :P

"The first album I really liked was Snakes & Arrows, I was listening to it every day for weeks." I like S&A too but I'm sure this has a lot of people scratching their heads (which is fine).

"before I found Rush I was listening to simple Rock music (Queen, Bad Company etc)." Queen is "simple" rock music. :eh:

But again, not criticizing, just think these are funny. Great post though, loved this: "And now I am the one that is teaching dad all the Rush music." I never got anywhere trying to expose my dad to Rush.

• Like 1

When I was a freshman in high school, I started getting into classic rock. My cousin in Alabama is a phenomenal musician, and owns a recording studio in Mobile. I really looked up to him; phenomenal drummer and bass player. He mentioned that Rush was his favorite band, and since I have a lot of admiration for him, I decided to investigate. I checked out 2112 and AFTK from my local library. After hearing 2112, I was hooked. I eventually checked out everything else in the Rush catalog from the library, and bought any other Rush albums I could find from a used CD store. Then saw them on R30, and I was fully hooked and a Rush fanatic for life
  • Like 1

In 1976 my family lived in Maryland. My Dad was in the Coast Guard so we'd get to grocery shop at the military commissary. Every time, me and my older brother would go to the record section and choose one album between us to purchase. We didn't have much time to choose, so I'd go to the beginning of the alphabet, and by brother would start at the end. This time by brother comes running up holding 'All The Worlds A Stage' in his hands a shouting - "look at this album, man." I looked at the stage on the cover and said - "this band has to be good, look at that drum set!" So we bought it.

"Alright, will you please welcome home RUSH!"

The Bastille Day riff caught us right away. Then we heard Geddy's voice. We laughed a little at first but then thought - this guy can really sing! - like a banshee on acid. My brother bought 2112 once we moved to California that summer. I bought A Farewell To Kings the next year on the release day. the rest is history!

• Like 2

How did you discover Rush and what was the first song you heard by them ?

I'm not sure when I first heard Rush, which isn't the same as discovering them to my mind. I remember hearing songs like Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio in my early adolescence in the early 1980s, but I can't say they made an impact on me.

I first discovered Rush, as in I heard something that made me go "WOW!", it was probably around 1989, and I was skipping out of school and I remember Muchmusic and they were playing one of Prince's mid-80s songs, and then John Fogerty's Old Man Down The Road, and then they played the live version of Marathon from A Show Of Hands, and all of a sudden it was like tingling up my spine. It still stands as probably one of my top three or four Rush songs. At that point I became obsessed, bought Exit Stage Left, Archives, and then everything they released at the time. Presto came out soon after, and I was pretty much hooked.

Edited by toadbrother
  • Like 1

I've told this story a few times here, but here goes:

I got into Rush in the spring of '77 when I came home from school one day and my older brother was playing By-Tor & the Snowdog really loud on the stereo. I could hear it walking down the sidewalk. I entered the house right in the middle of one of Neil's big drum fills. I'd never heard music like that, having been listening to a steady diet of AM radio up to that point (which meant I thought disco was good music). I sat down with the album cover and read the lyrics while listening to the song. I was instantly hooked and quickly became intimately acquainted with the five albums that were out at that time. It was a heady time to be a Rush fan, for sure. There was so much that was mysterious about them - no internet or movies out at that time to shed light onto what these guys were like.

Edited by JARG

AAh, the 70'-

I had neither heard of the band or their music,but was somehow drawn to ATWAS.

Is was in the "import section" at my local record shop.

Something about it, and the fact there was only 3 in the band really intrigued me.

It wa sealed and very expensive. Too much for my weekly allowance of one album. It meant saving up for a couple of weeks, but I was addicted to music and found is so so difficult to leave a record shop without buying anything.

Eventually, I managed it . I can't describe the effect it had on me, especially Peart's drumming, which stood out.

I almost abandoned all other bands for weeks after. Amazing that they remain my favourite group by far.

I still love all the music I was into in the 70's, but my love of RUSH is still almost child like in it's intensity.

Some time in the future,a scientist will eventually discover what makes this band so special.

• Like 1

Shared a flat in 79 with a bloke who had heaps of records.I was into Zep,Hendrix,Purple,Wishbone Ash,Sabs,etc.His collection was all over the place,Horslips was his fave.He said one night you probably like this.He put on The Trees followed by La Villa.Loved the cover.Loved the lyrics(weird).Loved the band.Went out bought it next day.

I always like seeing threads like this, and reading everybody else's tales- and telling my own, too.

It was 1979, and I had an older brother (he was all of 13) who was heavy into Rush. He turned me on to them with big chunks of Fly By Night, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings. (All of the other '70s albums came later, for me). The first 'new' Rush album when I became a fan was Permanent Waves.

My brother was killed in 1986, about a month short of his 19th birthday...but without him, I don't think I ever would have latched on to Rush like I did. They are the most important band to come along in my lifetime.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

It was April 1980 and I was 16. The boyfriend I had just started dating introduced me to Permanent Waves, and I got into pretty much everything else they did soon afterwards. The boyfriend isn't around in my life anymore, but Rush is :D

I thought HYF was your first Rush experience? Thought I remember you posting that somewhere... ;)

Older brother went out so borrowed an album from his collection, Permanent Waves and that was me hooked. He took me to Wembley arena for my first of many Rush concerts for the moving pictures tour and we are both heading to Toronto in June.
  • Like 2

I discovered Tom Sawyer when I was 14. I really liked it. Later that year, someone recommended 2112. I got both Moving Pictures and 2112, and couldn't stop listening to them. I then got everything else they made.

It was April 1980 and I was 16. The boyfriend I had just started dating introduced me to Permanent Waves, and I got into pretty much everything else they did soon afterwards. The boyfriend isn't around in my life anymore, but Rush is :D

I thought HYF was your first Rush experience? Thought I remember you posting that somewhere... ;)

HYF was the album that chased me away from Rush for years. I liked pretty much everything they did up until that point, including Signals and g/p, but HYF was too sappy and easy-listening for me.

HYF was the album that chased me away from Rush for years. I liked pretty much everything they did up until that point, including Signals and g/p, but HYF was too sappy and easy-listening for me.

I know. I was hoping for a "mooning" but you disappointed me. Was just pulling your leg. Its all good... :)

My father has been a Rush fan since 1976, seeing them almost every tour since the 2112 tour. He used to play them when I was kid but I didn't really get into music until I was about 12. He had Fly By Night playing in the car one day and I was hooked since. That was summer 2006 and the next summer was my first time seeing them live. I was a big Rush fan before seeing that concert but came out just blown away by them.