So, Just how bad is smoking dope for your memory?? (Spoiler)

clem

That all happened to me when I turned 40.

Then again, it's been said me and my crew lived a bit harder than most, so that's probably a lot to do with it.

Those damned 80's were unkind to long term body chemistry and endurance. :)

As far as drugs and memory go, chronic alcohol dependence can definitely cause dementia, and also giving a person who has thiamine folate and b12 deficiency from existing solely on alcohol for an extended period glucose without first giving them vitamins and folate can destroy their memory even if it was intact just before you give them the glucose (usually happens with IV fluids in an emergency room setting if someone forgets to put in the vitamins and folate). The story with weed is still evolving in the research--there's evidence that it can affect the memory, but whether it is reversible or not is still debatable. Chronic use does shrink some brain structures involved in memory, but I don't think anyone has looked at whether those areas rebound after someone quits for a long time.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how they couldn't remember. Yes, I get that they've done thousands of shows, but if I can remember the setlist from 35 years ago after seeing the concert ONCE, I would think they would be able to remember since they probably played about 100 shows on that tour.

My first concert was in 1983, I was 14. I didn't remember the setlist from that show, nor do I recall with certainty the setlists from the other 18 Rush shows I attended. I have never smoked pot. What's my problem?

Truthfully, I don't think that would be the main cause for him not remembering... I was a pretty heavy smoker from about 1977-78 through 1989-ish, and for some reason, I have a pretty good memory for things that happened in those "daze"... In fact some of my friends can't believe some of the detail I remember things in from that period of time... (Now ask me what I just walked in to the other room to get, and I have NO clue!!)

Why take Geddy so seriously when he says "never played this one before.." But then think nothing of him saying "we got about 6 million songs to play for you tonight..", or "here's a song from a hundred years ago.." Etc.. Maybe he just wasn't thinking, but could it be Ged's odd canadian sense of humor that caused him to say this? They do have a wicked sense of humor you know.. I blame it on all the weed they smoked in the 70's ;)
  • Like 1

How old are you Clem?

I asked because it might be easy for you now to recall everything, but these men are over sixty. Immediate recollection of past events begins to get harder as time goes on. Even Geddy has had to use a teleprompter for lyrics for a while now.

I think things really start going downhill after 50. You can feel pretty young up until that point, then things start sliding. I've seen that with so many people.

I turn 50 this summer and still feel like a kid. I was running yesterday, and the thought occurred to me that at 60 I'll have lived just under half as many years ad my grandfather, who lived to 103. I wasn't sure that I was interested in living so long. Through providence, an older man was out front tending his yard. As we talked, I noted how good he looked and how full of life he was. Turned out he,was 82. Changed my whole outlook...
  • Like 1

Why take Geddy so seriously when he says "never played this one before.." But then think nothing of him saying "we got about 6 million songs to play for you tonight..", or "here's a song from a hundred years ago.." Etc.. Maybe he just wasn't thinking, but could it be Ged's odd canadian sense of humor that caused him to say this? They do have a wicked sense of humor you know.. I blame it on all the weed they smoked in the 70's ;)

:goodposting:

How old are you Clem?

I asked because it might be easy for you now to recall everything, but these men are over sixty. Immediate recollection of past events begins to get harder as time goes on. Even Geddy has had to use a teleprompter for lyrics for a while now.

I think things really start going downhill after 50. You can feel pretty young up until that point, then things start sliding. I've seen that with so many people.

I turn 50 this summer and still feel like a kid. I was running yesterday, and the thought occurred to me that at 60 I'll have lived just under half as many years ad my grandfather, who lived to 103. I wasn't sure that I was interested in living so long. Through providence, an older man was out front tending his yard. As we talked, I noted how good he looked and how full of life he was. Turned out he,was 82. Changed my whole outlook...

You look good my friend and you are still in excellent shape (I have seen pics :LOL: ) very active and are healthy as far as I know. I could see you out there hacking wacking it around well into your 80's and possibly beyond. I really believe its true what they say about a body in motion etc etc... :cheers:

So I'm currently watching the Tulsa show on YouTube (kudos to whoever posted and recorded), and I'm listening/watching "Jacob's Ladder". Geddy introduces it as a "song they've never played before".

Now, how is it possible that he can't remember playing this thing? Yes, I realize it's 35 years old, but they played it for the whole frigging tour. Then, it was featured on the very next live album. Yet he doesn't remember?? I seem to remember Neil stating something similar at the beginning of The Time Machine Tour when he said they'd never played "The Camera Eye".

How can you not remember this sort of stuff?

What gives??

I had a friend mention that it's probably because they've smoked an awful lotta dope in their time, and it sort of affects one's memory.

Not to sound like a prude, but I've never ever taken "a passage to Bangkok", and I'm really not sure I ever want to. Even though the plant is legal in many places, I'm not sure I want to imbibe if I'm gonna lose huge chunks of memories.

Thoughts?

Clem

Hey, I live in Colorado where marijuana isn't demonized to shit. It's very true that marijuana can affect your long term memory loss. But the studies done on it are very shitty with a lot of bias and weird testing samples. Like when they test THC exposure on animals, they just cover rats in a ton of smoke, that's how they get them high. This is wrong because being filled in a glass box of smoke is a lot more damaging than taking edibles, vaporizing, dabbing or even smoking.

Rats exposed to THC for nearly 30% of their life showed nearly double loss of neuorons in their memory part of their brain apart from a normal rat again. But that was a small amount, other only had about 10% more loss of those memory cells.

Short term memory is more affected. Things that are new are harder to remember.

Now lets compare this to something more damadging. Alcohol in almost all tests, which actually more accuarate since it's not illegal and data can be charted across huge sample sizes. Alcohol contributes to memory loss about 4 times as severe and more common.

You can get all this info form drugabuse.gov

Edited by kentpilot
  • Like 1

Truthfully, I don't think that would be the main cause for him not remembering... I was a pretty heavy smoker from about 1977-78 through 1989-ish, and for some reason, I have a pretty good memory for things that happened in those "daze"... In fact some of my friends can't believe some of the detail I remember things in from that period of time... (Now ask me what I just walked in to the other room to get, and I have NO clue!!)

You were a smoker from 77 - 89. In the late 70's and 80's the average thc content for bud was around 5%. Now the average is up to 16%. Weed is 3 times as strong now. Also we have concentrates, DABS! some of these are 70% THC all the way up to 99% THC It's insane. Take one hit and it's like smoking a whole joint at once. I know that Alex partakes in these new medicinal things. Not sure about Geddy though. I think he sticks to just drinking now, which could explain his relaxed demeanor with his speeches and him forgetting things.

How old are you Clem?

You look good my friend and you are still in excellent shape (I have seen pics :LOL: ) very active and are healthy as far as I know. I could see you out there hacking wacking it around well into your 80's and possibly beyond. I really believe its true what they say about a body in motion etc etc... :cheers:

Thanjs! I need to follow your lead and shed a few pounds, though.

It has been my experience from what I have observed in those who smoked pot for decades on a regular basis that it does affect the memory. So does excessive alcohol use.

As for Geddy and Neil not remembering, I am certain that you would have a hard time remembering too if you toured extensively and almost nonstop for decades. I mean, it must all seem like a blur in their minds. I wouldn't hold it against him for not remembering he did Jacob's Ladder over thirty years ago.

I agree 100%. I'm surprised these guys remember what city they're in at any given time. Maybe they don't... their roadies prep them before they go on.

As a former abuser (up to an ounce a day), I can tell you that I often forgot to give a damn.

That is, I didn't give a damn about anything......except getting high.

Edited by Principled Man

As a former abuser (up to an ounce a day), I can tell you that I often forgot to give a damn.

An ounce a day? Damn! How did you stay awake?

Edited by Merely Space

An ounce per day? Wow. Never would have guessed that's possible.

• Like 1

It has been my experience from what I have observed in those who smoked pot for decades on a regular basis that it does affect the memory. So does excessive alcohol use.

As for Geddy and Neil not remembering, I am certain that you would have a hard time remembering too if you toured extensively and almost nonstop for decades. I mean, it must all seem like a blur in their minds. I wouldn't hold it against him for not remembering he did Jacob's Ladder over thirty years ago.

I agree 100%. I'm surprised these guys remember what city they're in at any given time. Maybe they don't... their roadies prep them before they go on.

A friend I had that did sound years back said that they would tape the city name to something so they'd remember where they were...

Most of the time it was on a monitor or something.

But truthfully... I don't think that would be the main cause for him not remembering... I was a pretty heavy smoker from about 1977-78 through 1989-ish, and for some reason, I have a pretty good memory for things that happened in those "daze"... In fact some of my friends can't believe some of the detail I remember things in from that period of time... (Now ask me what I just walked in to the other room to get, and I have NO clue!!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

An ounce per day? Wow. Never would have guessed that's possible.

Hell ...if I had access to that much BITD, I would have given it the "old college try"

An ounce a day? Don't you mean a lid? :facepalm:

• Like 1

Yeah. A z a day while an admirable idea is nonsense. Unless you have lots and lots of freeloading friends...

is this pedro de pacas? no one calls it a lid anymore :LOL:

• Like 3

as for an oz a day every day, that's snoop dogg level. I could see myself doing that if I was rich as hell and had no responsibilities at all. but man, the money, the effect on your tolerance - big downsides. plus, you couldn't get shit done.

as for an oz a day every day, that's snoop dogg level. I could see myself doing that if I was rich as hell and had no responsibilities at all. but man, the money, the effect on your tolerance - big downsides. plus, you couldn't get shit done.

But at least you'd forget you hadn't got anything done!

• Like 1

No one's consuming that amount every day either ;) Not even Snoop Dogg :smoke: :smoke:

• Like 1

Yeah. A z a day while an admirable idea is nonsense. Unless you have lots and lots of freeloading friends...

Or you light up , and pass it...then the whole "row" gets it!

"How many joints are in a lid? " "two!... I roll big joints"! :rfl: :LMAO:

• Like 2