What Year You Began Listening to Your Favorite Artists

Mr. Not

Beatles Feb 9, 1964.

Who 1967.

ELP 1970

Rush - not till my son convinced me to watch Rush in Rio with him... :oops:

Wow !

You saw them that very night on the Ed Sullivan show :cool:

If you ever want to share your experiences about your Fab 4 days I would love to hear them .

I`m a Mod on a Beatle Forum and we love hearing from original fans .

http://beatleforum.proboards.com/

sorry about the highjack . :unsure:

• Like 1

Pre 1977, I listened to mostly the singer/song writer and soft rock radio stations but quickly became very involved in the Disco era...ala Saturday Night Fever. ( I've got the pictures to prove it...Angel Flight slacks, platform shoes, gold chains, shiny vests and even the afro ).

Between the years of 1976-1978 at 13-15 yrs. old, I made the transition, like many, from Disco to Rock.

It started with Elton John, Kiss, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner, Queen, Foghat and Kansas but quickly escalated to Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Nazerath and Cheap Trick.

In early 1978, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and AC/DC became my favorites and soon after that...

in late 1978, Rush, Yes, Styx and Pink Floyd entered into my Top Ten and became my main favorites.

In 1979, Jethro Tull, Marillion and Triumph were added to my regular rotation of listening favorites.

From 1978 through 2015 my top ten favorites have stayed the same and I began to actually go backwards in time to learn the history and full catalogs of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and several other classic rock bands.

From 2000 through 2010 my Top Ten favorites have endured, yet tested, with having an open mind about new, or new to me bands.

After finally starting to learn how to play some instruments an eventually becoming a musician (bass and keys) in 2010...

I went full circle and probably listen to and play more jazz, blues and disco bass beats than any other music....

From 1972 through 2015...I have had many musical influences in my life....from playing classical violin in grade school and classical piano in middle school...to growing up through the 70's & 80's and listening to all the bands listed above and then recently learning to play bass and studying about the classical, jazz and blues influences that are in most all music.

With my musical time-line journey... Rush has always been a highlight, an influence, and has remained a constant in my life.

Rush has remained my favorite band, which says alot about their lasting effect on my ears, heart and mind.

• Like 1

Wow, OK

Queen 1975

Led Zeppelin 1976

Genesis 1978

Yes 1978

Supertramp 1979

Pink Floyd 1979

David Bowie 1980

Rush 1980

U2 1981

Metallica 1988

Dream Theater 1992

Tool 1993

I guess those are my favorites. There are many others that I like, such as my favorite new rock artist is Royal Blood. Plus I also dig Bruno Mars. I'm kinda all over the place now as I've gotten older. My main criteria is that you have to have the chops and be talented, at least in my mind.

One of my earliest has to be ELO. I liked all their songs on the radio, and I saw them a couple of times on TV in the '70's. By '81-'82 I had started my own album/tape collection and they were represented. That was also when I found out about metal. ( :haz: !!!) Here came The Scorpions, Van Halen, Rush, Iron Maiden,Ozzy, etc.. I liked Black Sabbath but at the time thought they were a RJD band. Oddly didn't find out much about Ozzy Sabbath until '89 or so, when I totally got into the Seattle bands. (I live two counties north of Seattle.)

Monster Magnet-'92

Kyuss- '94

Porcupine Tree- '08 (Thanks to you folks here.)

Santana-around '90

It seems like I go through 2-4 year eras of music discovery followed by dry spells.

The Who, Led Zep, Genesis, Yes, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple - 1973

UFO - 1974

Thin Lizzy, Rainbow & Rush - 1976

Gary Moore/Colosseum II - 1977

Marillion - 1982

Riverside, Blackfield & Porcupine Tree - 2004 (Though first heard PT in 1996)

Joe Bonamassa - 2006

• Like 2

Pre 1977, I listened to mostly the singer/song writer and soft rock radio stations but quickly became very involved in the Disco era...ala Saturday Night Fever. ( I've got the pictures to prove it...Angel Flight slacks, platform shoes, gold chains, shiny vests and even the afro ).

Between the years of 1976-1978 at 13-15 yrs. old, I made the transition, like many, from Disco to Rock.

It started with Elton John, Kiss, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner, Queen, Foghat and Kansas but quickly escalated to Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Nazerath and Cheap Trick.

In early 1978, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and AC/DC became my favorites and soon after that...

in late 1978, Rush, Yes, Styx and Pink Floyd entered into my Top Ten and became my main favorites.

In 1979, Jethro Tull, Marillion and Triumph were added to my regular rotation of listening favorites.

From 1978 through 2015 my top ten favorites have stayed the same and I began to actually go backwards in time to learn the history and full catalogs of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and several other classic rock bands.

From 2000 through 2010 my Top Ten favorites have endured, yet tested, with having an open mind about new, or new to me bands.

After finally starting to learn how to play some instruments an eventually becoming a musician (bass and keys) in 2010...

I went full circle and probably listen to and play more jazz, blues and disco bass beats than any other music....

From 1972 through 2015...I have had many musical influences in my life....from playing classical violin in grade school and classical piano in middle school...to growing up through the 70's & 80's and listening to all the bands listed above and then recently learning to play bass and studying about the classical, jazz and blues influences that are in most all music.

With my musical time-line journey... Rush has always been a highlight, an influence, and has remained a constant in my life.

Rush has remained my favorite band, which says alot about their lasting effect on my ears, heart and mind.

You got the date for Marillion wrong there pal.

Rush: 2009

Billy Joel: 2014

Queen: 2013

The Beatles: 2006

Metallica: 2012

Yeah, before '06 I was into Maroon 5 and 'N Sync. Ugh, it makes me cringe. But I was eight, so I had no appreciation for music yet. :)

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

This one is for LeGorLaTroy...

I remember seeing Midsummer Rock ( a concert from Cincinnati 1970 ) broadcast on TV in 1971 ? The bands I remember seeing were:

Alice Cooper

Traffic

Iggy and the Stooges

Sure, Iggy stood out with his jumping chest first into glass then rubbing peanut butter on his chest, but I remember this performance by Alice Cooper and I was hooked.

• Like 1

I guess I found all my favourite artists during the early 80's. 81-85. Can't really remember exact years or exact order, but at the age of 8-12 I found Rush, Zep, AC/DC, Who, Stones, ZZ Top, Floyd, Skynyrd... Two exceptions, though. My mother is and was a huge Beatles fan, so I got into them in the 70's as even a smaller kid, because she used to play their albums all the time. I loved the melodies and the variation. Then again, I found Grateful Dead as late as 1987, when In The Dark was brand new.

Megadeth - 2014

Van Halen - 2011

Metallica - 2014

Led Zeppelin - 2011

Black Sabbath (and Ozzy's solo stuff) - 2011

Iron Maiden - 2015

Pink Floyd - 2013

Queen - 2011

Rush - 2014