Intermission? (little spoiler)

Jaminbenb

Why would this be different? They can hang the screen in front of the stage just as easily as behind.

In Austin, they did not. The screen (that I think you're referring to) was behind the stage. During the intermission, everyone could see everything being swapped out. Of course, most of us didn't know it would be different at other venues.

Bottom line - yes it does seem as though it would be dependent on the venue. It sounds like some of these "special setups" will work better for some than others.

Clem

Yeah from what I remember the guy said basically in a normal arena show, the south park video would start and as they are counting it in, it would rise up and you would suddenly see the band as they kick into tom sawyer + the new stage setup. for the amphitheatre show there was no screen in front of them. it was just the usual screen on the back where they played the video. so you could see the whole band and everything before the south park countdown starts. Edited by mrfriendly
  • Like 1

Wow. I wonder if that was just Austin or all outdoor venues. I'll be in DC, which I believe is a shed, so I guess I'll see for myself.

How anti-climactic, though. When the curtain/screen came up in Tulsa, it was so exciting. A highpoint of the evening for sure/

Yeah from what I remember the guy said basically in a normal arena show, the south park video would start and as they are counting it in, it would rise up and you would suddenly see the band as they kick into tom sawyer + the new stage setup. for the amphitheatre show there was no screen in front of them. it was just the usual screen on the back where they played the video. so you could see the whole band and everything before the south park countdown starts.

The intro vid was on the same screen. It ends with the band in silhouette and when the curtain rose, they were all in the appropriate positions, right behind their shadows. Having that happen behind them completely destroys that effect.

Yeah well heres a video

I think you can see whats happening there. I will be in Bristow too unfortunately… why couldn't they have done this at the Verizon Center if they clearly are so keen on the majority of shows being indoors. They seem to like Jiffy Lube a lot although I've never been everyone seems to hate the venue.

Hmmm...now starting to wish I got Philly tickets, too.... :|

You and me both even though it would be a 6 hour drive for me.

It just seems odd the Rush's stage designers would have things different to the point that they interfered with the show in outdoor venues. Makes no sense to me and I really hope it had to do strictly with the venue. Was the actual structure not built to hold the correct amount of weight? Was there a curtain that could not be removed? Gotta be something.

Oh...it was also a different, larger screen in Tulsa. They had the same back screens, but with the additional one in front.

Edit: weren't they expecting storms that day?? Maybe that has something to do with it..

Edited by Justin Case

Wow. I wonder if that was just Austin or all outdoor venues. I'll be in DC, which I believe is a shed, so I guess I'll see for myself.

How anti-climactic, though. When the curtain/screen came up in Tulsa, it was so exciting. A highpoint of the evening for sure/

Oh, you said "a" highpoint instead of "the." I was ready to ask if better than, Jacobs, Cygnus, Xanadu, Presentation, et al ;)

Hmmm...now starting to wish I got Philly tickets, too.... :|

You and me both even though it would be a 6 hour drive for me.

It's only about two for me, but since it's during the week, it would have been tough for my friend and I to get there, which was why we thought that VA next weekend would be better! (and he has some points at whatever hotel we're staying at, so THAT's free! I'll buy lunch or dinner and bring some good beer to cover gas, and life is good!)

• Like 1

Oh, you said "a" highpoint instead of "the." I was ready to ask if better than, Jacobs, Cygnus, Xanadu, Presentation, et al ;)

Different kind of highpoint, but yeah - when the curtain came up on second set and I saw Alex's wall of speakers...Geddy's wall of speakers...Neil on the replica kit...it was super exciting. Also, consider that my reference was Tulsa. No one knew exactly what was about to happen apart from band and crew.

On another related note I saw Dave Matthews at Jiffy Lube last night and they are doing a similar two set show that starts just after 7.. the sun was bright out yesterday and didn't start to go down until like 8:45.. felt the show was better late at night with the good visuals/lights etc. If rush gets on around 7:45 that is going to ruin their stage show having to see that in broad daylight especially when you are on the lawn. Sure I guess the second set is the highlight so that won't get ruined but still. I count only 4 amphitheatre shows for this tour and I don't know what they were thinking. They could have easily done this at Verizon.

It definitely took away from the show a little to not have the curtain rise to reveal the stage. I'm guessing it was due to wind, so maybe the other outdoor shows will have the usual setup.
  • Like 1

On another related note I saw Dave Matthews at Jiffy Lube last night and they are doing a similar two set show that starts just after 7.. the sun was bright out yesterday and didn't start to go down until like 8:45.. felt the show was better late at night with the good visuals/lights etc. If rush gets on around 7:45 that is going to ruin their stage show having to see that in broad daylight especially when you are on the lawn. Sure I guess the second set is the highlight so that won't get ruined but still. I count only 4 amphitheatre shows for this tour and I don't know what they were thinking. They could have easily done this at Verizon.

Well Dave never had much of a stage show...and since the first part is acoustic, I'm guessing that it wasn't anything to write home about with the sun up....

Well Dave never had much of a show...and I'm guessing that it wasn't anything to write home about.

Fixed

Well Dave never had much of a stage show...and since the first part is acoustic, I'm guessing that it wasn't anything to write home about with the sun up....

This is true and by the time the second set started it was night time and it was no different really then being in a stadium. But I am curious what time they will make the start time for Bristow. Sun really does not start going down until like 8:45, obviously they can't start that late. This will ruin the anarchist and other early songs I feel because a big part of the visuals for those songs are the effects. I can't imagine watching OLV with the pyro with the sun out lol. To a certain degree the first set has more visual/effects stuff going on doesnt it? Yes I know second set has all the great stuff but more laser/light stuff.

This is true and by the time the second set started it was night time and it was no different really then being in a stadium. But I am curious what time they will make the start time for Bristow. Sun really does not start going down until like 8:45, obviously they can't start that late. This will ruin the anarchist and other early songs I feel because a big part of the visuals for those songs are the effects. I can't imagine watching OLV with the pyro with the sun out lol. To a certain degree the first set has more visual/effects stuff going on doesnt it? Yes I know second set has all the great stuff but more laser/light stuff.

I never understood the outdoor shows for these reasons, unless the venue has good acoustics. Even still, there are various inconveniences.

During CA tour, at the local poor acoustic wide open to the elements thundering rainstorm, nasty mosquito outdoor jones beach venue (no canopy like some have), they came on at 7:39, it was so bright out they could have been "fixing transmissions" let alone playing Subdivisions ;)

Edited by Gabrielgil513

I'd imagine this will be different for the amphitheatre shows? I remember one review of the Austin show (which I believe has been the only outdoor one so far) the guy said the amphitheatres ruin the show.

You are correct. No curtain in Austin. Venue was a big let down. Would have preferred an indoor venue.