Guitar solo battle

Tuesday's Gone

Which one of these songs has the best guitar solo ?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these songs has the best guitar solo ?

• La Villa Strangiato
    • Freewill
    • Limelight

La Villa or Limelight for sure. Went with LVS.

Those two are my favorites along with Xanadu, No One At The Bridge, Return Of The Prince, and Presentation.

Three incredible songs, and a very difficult choice. All of the solos are so different stylistically, also.

I have to rank them thusly:

1. La Villa

2. Freewill (among my favourite Lifeson solos ever)

3. Limelight

Three incredible songs, and a very difficult choice. All of the solos are so different stylistically, also.

1. La Villa

3. Limelight

I'm with you.

The bass in those first two is incredible too.

When I was getting into Rush, way back when, I had only heard Permanent Waves and Signals was the new release at the time; I knew nothing of their older stuff. I was partying with a kid who played bass and I asked him if he could play Freewill (the bass lines had just blown me away). He kind of scoffed at me and said I can play La Vila Strangiato. I went "What is La Villa whateveryousaid?" (we were partying, remember, ala 1982-83). I went out the next day to hunt it down and haven't looked back since.

• Like 1

1. La Villa

3. Limelight

I'm with you.

The bass in those first two is incredible too.

When I was getting into Rush, way back when, I had only heard Permanent Waves and Signals was the new release at the time; I knew nothing of their older stuff. I was partying with a kid who played bass and I asked him if he could play Freewill (the bass lines had just blown me away). He kind of scoffed at me and said I can play La Vila Strangiato. I went "What is La Villa whateveryousaid?" (we were partying, remember, ala 1982-83). I went out the next day to hunt it down and haven't looked back since.

Indeed, the bass playing is just jaw-dropping; fantastic! Again, Freewill contains some of Geddy's finest bass shredding...but La Villa still takes the cake.

The solo is great in La Villa but I think of the song as an entire jam session, whereas the other two are true solos within their respective songs. In which case I have to pick Limelight.
  • Like 2

La Villa for me. Because of how that one builds. soft and builds to heaven.

Mick

Hey look, a post of Mick appreciating Rush! Haven't seen one of those in a while, lol.

Tough choices primarily because I really haven't listened to MP or PW in quite awhile, unlike ESL which is an album I play at least once or twice a month.

Therefore I've had to do a recap and played all three songs just a few minutes ago. I must admit, it was a close call between LSV and Freewill, but went for the former because of the slow build up and intense crescendo capped it for me. 

That said I might vote for Freewill tomorrow as I also think this is an under-rated but very well timed effort

It’s close but it’s 

LVS for me 😎

I must add that Lerxst also produced some top 🎸 solos during the ‘ synth years ‘

when he really had to step up in terms of cutting thru the synth layers with beautiful melody, suitability to the track, each solo’s composition and his individual uniqueness during these brief windows in those songs which gave him the chance to shine 💥

Just off the top of my head I find these following solos equally as outstanding  as the 3 listed in this poll ..

* The Weapon 

* The Analog Kid

* Digital Man

*  Chemistry 

*  Afterimage

*  Between the Wheels

*  Red Sector A

*  Kid Gloves

*  Emotion Detector 

*  Marathon 

• Like 1