Anyone know the real story behind La Villa?

Captain Avatar

Seriously, none of you people have figured out that Alex is a pathological liar, yet? During interviews, before every single tour he starts throwing out different songs that they will be playing and they never get played. Alex has been giving us bogus information for decades now.

Edited because I forgot to mention that I have also seen Alex kick a baby.

(Or it may have been a football, I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time.)

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 3

I would have to go back and check, but I am almost positive that I read in my Rush book that La Villa had to be recorded in pieces.

I'll go check and report back. :)

What is it for Rush book you have? What is it called?

Zumbi, the name of the book is Contents Under Pressure. I think the author is Martin Poppoff (not sure if the spelling of his last name is correct).

I would have to go back and check, but I am almost positive that I read in my Rush book that La Villa had to be recorded in pieces.

I'll go check and report back. :)

What is it for Rush book you have? What is it called?

Zumbi, the name of the book is Contents Under Pressure. I think the author is Martin Poppoff (not sure if the spelling of his last name is correct).

I read this one several years ago and it was good. Here's an Amazon link

Thanks both of you! :)

• Like 1

Alex made the point on Renman Live that it only took two takes for La Villa (one practice and the second take was recorded), and both of them were played all the way through as a band. On Beyond the Lighted Stage the point was made that they had to "admit defeat" when they couldn't play it all the way through in a single take, and had to record it in parts.

He said that about Xanadu in the Renman interview, but I don't remember him saying it about La Villa.

Yeah, I'm about 99% sure he first said that about La Villa. He followed that up by saying, "We did the same thing with Xanadu." Again...if that's true, that's very impressive. I'm just not sure it's true, given the disparity in the various recollections.

I read in Rush by Brian Harrigan (if my memory does not fail) that they recorded La Villa in one take, but they needed 46(!) tries to get it right. :huh:

I read in Rush by Brian Harrigan (if my memory does not fail) that they recorded La Villa in one take, but they needed 46(!) tries to get it right. :huh:

That's actually what prompted Alex to say it only took them two takes. On the Renman interview, Alex was asked if it really took them 49 tries to get it right, and he responded that it only took two. He said the second time through is what we hear on the album.

Never understood why this sing is cited as so hard to play. The main riff doesn't seem all that tough. Can anyone elaborate? I hear other rush tunes that sound tougher.
  • Like 1

Never understood why this sing is cited as so hard to play. The main riff doesn't seem all that tough. Can anyone elaborate? I hear other rush tunes that sound tougher.

I'm thinking a lot of the difficulty comes from the multiple time signatures and the tight unison playing. When I hear other bands try to play it, it often sounds like crap since they get all out of synch with one another. Many times it is the guitar part that sounds the worst, IMO. I guess Alex's parts aren't as easy to play as they sometimes sound.

• Like 1

It goes through a lot of "moods" which can be hard to get right when you're coming off a part with a different feel. And there are segments that are pretty intricate. If any one person screws up during one of those sections, then that part would need to be re-tracked.

• Like 1

It goes through a lot of "moods" which can be hard to get right when you're coming off a part with a different feel. And there are segments that are pretty intricate. If any one person screws up during one of those sections, then that part would need to be re-tracked.

Natural Science sounds hard to play as well.

It does indeed.

It does indeed.

Geddy freaks me out in this tune - stretching from the 4th fret on the D to the 7th on the A under the "Quantum leap forward" bit. I get pooped after doing that just a few times.

I'm thinking a lot of the difficulty comes from the multiple time signatures and the tight unison playing. When I hear other bands try to play it, it often sounds like crap since they get all out of synch with one another. Many times it is the guitar part that sounds the worst, IMO. I guess Alex's parts aren't as easy to play as they sometimes sound.

Plus,

People need to realize that at that point of their career they were really pushing the limits of how talented all three of them could be. Always trying new things. :rush:

• Like 1