Letterman's retirement

Lost In Xanadu

So, looks like not much interest in this? Watching Conan last night, he told a nice story about how, when Dave left the Late Late show on NBC, Conan filled that spot and got killed in the reviews. Dave asked to come on Conan's show to help and Conan is sure that is what sparked the 180 that occurred immediately afterward. He thanked Dave so much that he URGED people to change the channel at 11:35 (EDT) to watch Dave's last show.

I gave up on Dave a while ago, seemed he turned into a grumpy old man and I got tired of how his new twist to late night became tired and routine. I did tune in last night, and was glad I did. So many great memories from my HS and college days, and Dave truly was a comedic genius.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

The thing that made me laugh, and help me remember why I stopped watching... the crowd was applauding and giving him a standing ovation... he eventually got irritated with them and said "ok, that's enough". Then he told them they wasted so much time that he doesn't have time for the "giving gifts to the audience" segment. (which was obviously said in fun, without the tone of irritation)

I never much liked him. He seemed to irritate a lot of his guests, mainly with his making fun of them. Never really cared for Jay Leno either.
  • Like 2

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and think to yourself, "I am just full of hot gas?"

-- David Letterman, to Rush Limbaugh (during his first visit to the show)

:haz: :haz: :haz:

One of the most influential comics of the last 30 years. So many cite him as a major inspiration on that dry, ball bustin ironic comedic style. If you want safe, watch Leno. Dave brought a much needs edge to late night television. I remember watching him circa 1984 as a 13 year old, and I got it.

Good luck in your retirement Dave.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

I never much liked him. He seemed to irritate a lot of his guests, mainly with his making fun of them. Never really cared for Jay Leno either.

Yeah, that's what he brought to the table. Who wants to watch a boring, ass kissing interview with softball questions? I loved Carson as well, but that old style was tired and worn out when letterman came on the scene. Dave appealed to college kids, while Carson was more for your grandparents.

• Like 1

Watched it and loved it last night. Been a big fan since the very beginning. He was very experimental and wanted to push the envelope and put on things he enjoyed without any consideration of what others thought. In a lot of ways he has similarities to rush. When asked what was expected on the show last night executives admitted they had no idea since, they wouldn't ask and dave damn sure wasn't going to tell them. He achieved a lot of independence and, to an extent, it kept him for the upper echelon of being the host of the tonight show. While the sex scandal diminished his image a bit, it ultimately isn't any of my business so it's not a factor in my determination of how I feel about his show.

Yeah, that's what he brought to the table. Who wants to watch a boring, ass kissing interview with softball questions? I loved Carson as well, but that old style was tired and worn out when letterman came on the scene. Dave appealed to college kids, while Carson was more for your grandparents.

Or parents... :LOL: :codger:
  • Like 1

I still think Letterman was boring. Just because he was irritating didn't make him entertaining. It just made him annoying.

One of the most influential comics of the last 30 years. So many cite him as a major inspiration on that dry, ball bustin ironic comedic style. If you want safe, watch Leno. Dave brought a much needs edge to late night television. I remember watching him circa 1984 as a 13 year old, and I got it.

Good luck in your retirement Dave.

Letterman was far, far more genuine that Leno ever was. Leno reeked of fakeness - during his monologue, when talking to guests......he was LAME.

I still think Letterman was boring. Just because he was irritating didn't make him entertaining. It just made him annoying.

I never liked him even way back when he guested with Johnny. Just not a fan of his humor and style...

I never liked him even way back when he guested with Johnny. Just not a fan of his humor and style...

He always reminded me of the annoying nerdy kid with the highwater pants and taped up glasses.

• Like 2

:notworthy: :cheers: Thanks Dave!!! :cheers: :notworthy:

I thought the show was a blast and I will miss watching Dave and Paul & the Band and Biff and the late Mr Deforest, who lived in the building across the street from me in Brooklyn.

I will miss all the funny suits and stupid tricks and throwing things, especially fruit, off a 5 story building.

I always wanted to steal Sid McGuiness' Felix the Cat button down dress shirt!!!

It's been a great run, Dave. :D-13: Enjoy the next chapter of your life.

• Like 2

Or parents... :LOL: :codger:

That was good stuff!! :ebert:

Never liked Letterman. :sarcastic:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

He always reminded me of the annoying nerdy kid with the highwater pants and taped up glasses.

:LOL:

I always loved Howard Stern's appearances on the show.

I always loved Howard Stern. Heck with Dave...
  • Like 1

It's Howard's show when he's on. On his last appearance I doubt Dave said more than 10 words

Just meant I have been a fan of Stern since he was on DC 101 way back. Super talent in my view. Don't mean to highjack the thread. Carry on folks...

Letterman had the best musical guests as well as the best sounding mix (as far as musical guests go) IMO. I don't think any of the current late night talk shows will ever come close to topping Dave in that regard to be honest.
  • Like 1

It's Howard's show when he's on. On his last appearance I doubt Dave said more than 10 words

Just meant I have been a fan of Stern since he was on DC 101 way back. Super talent in my view. Don't mean to highjack the thread. Carry on folks...

Stern more Talanted than Letterman? No.

• Like 2