Big Reveal in Classic Rock Interview

Rush85dude

Another good thing about RUSH possibly releasing studio albums only from this point on is that you can give Geddy total vocal rest and choose only the best takes, give him as much time as he needs to really nail those melodies to tape. In case you didn't know, his vocals on the Clockwork Angels album are pretty great.

And Neil might like the idea of taking a month off in the future after a large break to record again, and then not have to gear up for another tour but instead go back to his house and family again.

Oh and P.S. Get Peter Collins back as the producer on this new album!

Another good thing about RUSH possibly releasing studio albums only from this point on is that you can give Geddy total vocal rest and choose only the best takes, give him as much time as he needs to really nail those melodies to tape. In case you didn't know, his vocals on the Clockwork Angels album are pretty great.

:goodone:

Oh and P.S. Get Peter Collins back as the producer on this new album!

Did you hear? Terry Brown is back to produce Moist!

But let’s just say that at this point that Neil’s made it clear that he’s good with this US tour being the last group of dates.

Read between the lines, boys n' girls. For your own good. :)

"[Neil] wants to spend more time at home and with his family. I get it. He's never been keen about touring. It's always a difficult thing for him. ... Neil knows that we're not ready for the end, and he doesn't want to ruin that for us. Keep in mind: we're like brothers. And we went through a terrible period with him in his life and supported him and he'll never forget that. I think he feels, as I would too, an obligation to us for having stood by him. So he's not willing to let that go. Maybe now he is. And I get it. It's not like, what a jerk, he doesn't want to do this any more? I get it. ..."

-----

There is enough in the article to have hope there will be something, if its limited to recording, that would be amazing. If it involved any live performances (which of course could be bundled into a blu ray...Ray...) that would be a bonus.

Does anyone know if they have alot of unreleased concert footage, especially from back in the 80's. DVD's like ESL, GUP, they were short, and hour or so, but Rush played two plus hours back then...since those shows were filmed, there could be archive material?

"[Neil] wants to spend more time at home and with his family. I get it. He's never been keen about touring. It's always a difficult thing for him. ... Neil knows that we're not ready for the end, and he doesn't want to ruin that for us. Keep in mind: we're like brothers. And we went through a terrible period with him in his life and supported him and he'll never forget that. I think he feels, as I would too, an obligation to us for having stood by him. So he's not willing to let that go. Maybe now he is. And I get it. It's not like, what a jerk, he doesn't want to do this any more? I get it. ..."

-----

There is enough in the article to have hope there will be something, if its limited to recording, that would be amazing. If it involved any live performances (which of course could be bundled into a blu ray...Ray...) that would be a bonus.

Does anyone know if they have alot of unreleased concert footage, especially from back in the 80's. DVD's like ESL, GUP, they were short, and hour or so, but Rush played two plus hours back then...since those shows were filmed, there could be archive material?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all of the original footage from ESL is gone? Maybe they went looking when they rereleased everything on DVD recently. GUP Tour seems more likely, I think. I wonder if they even know what's in the vaults. :)

Loved reading this interview. Thanks so much for posting it here. :sundog:
  • Like 1

This basically confirms what I've been saying for a while now. Geddy and Alex want to continue playing shows, Neil doesn't and I think right now, they're in a bit of a flux....

-----

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all of the original footage from ESL is gone? Maybe they went looking when they rereleased everything on DVD recently. GUP Tour seems more likely, I think. I wonder if they even know what's in the vaults. :)

One of the tragedies is the loss of ESL footage. Some story about tapes accidently discarded or something... Seeing that show front to back would be phenomenal, especially without all the editing/voiceover stuff on the official release. That was one epic tour.

The ESL voiceover is painful. Stops me from putting that DVD in more often. So if tapes lost, sounds like there isn't even a chance to re release without the voice over nor full show. I've been reading on the net about it, a few years ago there were stories about having some leads to the tapes location, then crickets.

It's sounding like all color video ESL and prior may have been already released?

Since they just released a portion of TFE tour DVD on the R40 box, there should be a full show/nearly 3 hours recorded, with most of that unreleased?

But it's the early arena headlining shows, before the three stooges intro era, those would be golden to have a full show on DVD.

I know they video recorded a london show in 1979 on the hemispheres tour for possible live video use, but I don't know if the footage is in a vault somewhere or gone forever.

• Like 1