Lorraine

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better?

2. 2. Which band is more talented?

• Rush
    • The Police
    • Both talented each in their unique way
  3. 3. Who is a better drummer?

I love a handful of Police songs...but Rush all the way for me!!

You must have huge hands.

Well played Hobbit

Thief. ;)

My ten year old just started reading it...I know he's wondering WTF half the words mean...at least he's trying!
  • Like 1

Whoever did that was a chicken shit.

Segue's awesome and that punk just imploded under his seguey-ness, lol

Mick

I am pretty nifty...as are you!

And Narps and Lorraine lolololol

Well Lorraine and I are the cats meow for sure. Everyone knows that... :LOL:

yes you both are in my book :rose: :pussy:

• Like 2

I went to my police file (Lol sounds funny) Hit random and the lucky album.................

Zenyatta Mondatta

Mick

The solo in Driven to tears still sounds very p/g like to me. Something alex might pull off.

Mick

You can hear the influence every now and then in early eighties Rush.

Definitely in New World Man

• Like 1

When interviewed, Lerxst admitted that he had been listening to apt of them so the influence is truly not surprising.
  • Like 1

And then there is Goodbye...Hello. I think you'll love the title track. A beautiful song.

Now, that man had some voice!

I missed this particular post last night. I might have this one as well; I have to look through my vinyl. (In fact, all of the Tim Buckley albums I have are on vinyl).

• Like 1

Is Jeff his son? He must be quite old already.

I remember very clearly reading in the New York Daily News the day Tim Buckley died. That was decades ago.

Had Jeff Buckley lived, he would be turning 49 in November.

And Tim, if he were still alive, would be 68, I believe.

• Like 1

If you click on the Tim Buckley Music link, they have a section with every song he ever did listed. You can listen to snippets of songs there.

I know enough of his music and his style that I can buy it pretty much sound unheard...I just haven't delved into his catalog any more than what I've had for twenty years or so.

I recommend Jeff, also- I can send you his debut album if you're interested (which was the only one released in his lifetime). He is not a carbon copy of his father, but stylistically in a lot of places, I can definitely hear Tim in Jeff.

The Police are good.....Copeland has a very unique sound, I dont know how to describe it and I dont know if this word really fits when describing drumming, but he has a very distinct inflection - how he makes different hits vary throughout the song, his intensity flows really well throught the song especially live. Hes really good, but Neil is better. Overall as a musical catalog, to me its not even close, and I really do like The Police

Agree. Copeland is unique.

I am actually a very big fan of The Police. Have been for many years. Synchronicity is one of my favorite albums ever, but I am a fan of all their work.

But back to Copeland. One of his biggest fans is apparently Neil. Neil mentions being a fan of The Police in Beyond the Lighted Stage. Neil mentions Copeland in one of his books. Neil has been a guest at The Sacred Groove.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Police live twice. The first time was at the Conspiracy of Hope show at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago way back in 1986. It was a charity drive sort of thing and you had to enter a lottery to get tickets. I remember the show well because, when The Police played Invisible Sun, Bono sang with them. Keep in mind that was when U2 was still very legit and that song is about The Troubles. That was very cool.

The second time was during the recent reunion tour here in San Antonio. Copeland did a percussion solo that was out of this world. All sorts of crazy things with symbols and triangles and things suspended by ropes. That, I think, is the difference between Copeland and Peart. Peart is a straight forward rock drummer of mad skills. Copeland is more a percussionist.

• Like 2

I thought he (Copeland) found solos pretentious? I could've sworn that was what I read.

It wasn't really a solo in the traditional rock sense. He actually stepped away from the kit and played in a bunch of items hanging from rags and ropes and such. It was very different and very cool.

I am a big fan of Stewart's drumming, and although I am a much bigger fan of Rush, I am also not a drummer. So I can't vote because I can't rate Stewart vs. Neil. I imagine both can do whatever the other does.

The best thing about Rush is how open to new ideas they always were, and the Police obviously influenced them heavily. They never succumbed to the childish notion that new music is automatically inferior to old music, and they adapted and integrated enthusiastically and in accordance to their own tastes.

The Police didn't have that, so I will always put Rush far ahead. Rush took what the Police were great at and made it even better (to my view).