Does anyone else get ticked off by this?? **Spoiler**

clem

So I attended the Rush show in Austin Saturday night. Great show even though the venue was a bit lacking. I only "Lost It" once during the show with an employee. And I guess I need my friends here on The Rush Forum to tell me if I was out of line or not.

This is the only time I have ever gone to a concert where they have vendors walking up and down the aisles peddling food and beverage. Not a bad thing in and of itself. But my problem was having vendors yell: COLD BEER! COLD BEER! during the actual show, right in my ear.

Now I was in an aisle seat, so I supposed it bothered me a bit more than others, but there was one time during the quiet part of "Jacob's Ladder" where the vendor decided to stand right behind me and yell COLD BEER! a few times in succession.

Well, I lost it. I turned around and told him (in no so polite words) to please shut up and not yell COLD BEER! when the band is actually performing. Please note, I have no problem with this going on before the show or during intermission. Nor do I have a problem if this was a sporting event. But to me, this is unacceptable during a musical event when the actual music is being played.

To me, this is the equivalent of going to the movies, watching a very quiet, intense scene, and having an employee walk in the theater screaming "Does anyone want to buy some popcorn??" Or something like that.

So help me friends. Was I right to be pissed? Was I right to yell at the guy? thanks in advance for your input.

PS - I did fill out a survey for the event that they sent me after the show, and mentioned this. I do realize the guy was "only doing his job" etc.

Clem

• Like 5

That's annoying...don't they know people might be taping..... :huh:

I even think it's annoying during a sporting event...ok 99% of the time we can SEE YOU...so if we want you we'll call for you...

• Like 2

Seems this kind of peddling doesn't belong at this type of event. I would say the same of an Opera, Musical or Play. Geez people. I am a big fan of capitalism but good grief... :codger:
  • Like 2

You were not out of line, that would really piss me off too. I have never seen that at a music or really any kind of theater performance. Only at sporting events, where it should stay.

Damn. I had no idea this was going on during the show. Sure would have pissed me off.

Seems like a no-win for the beer guys: either you're trying to shout over power amps, or you're shouting over a quiet part, and pissing people off.

• Like 1

Clem, I'd be furious as well. The analogy to a quiet movie is spot on. Unreal the venue managers are so inconsiderate of those paying to HEAR a music event.

I love the idea of people bringing beer around during concerts. I've never seen it and I would love to have it at all the shows I go to. But I hate beyond words the idea of yelling "cold beer" during the concert. If I want a beer, I'll find you, buddy.

COLD BEER!!!! ICE!! COLD BEER!!!!!!!! :hail:

Oh sorry, I interrupted the library session of TRF. :coy:

Yeah he was dick for doing that.

• Like 1

If it was during The Wreckers or something I could see it but.... :) :outtahere:

Completely Wrong. Has anyone been to a different concert at this venue? Is this common? Instant boycott in my book for any future shows there. I would drive to Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston before I had to listen to that.

I was there and was also quite surprised to see them doing that DURING a show. And it was crappy beer to boot! :) It's irritating enough when that happens at games and they walk in front of you during play. That should only happen during breaks in the event.
  • Like 1

If it was during The Wreckers or something I could see it but.... :) :outtahere:

I wouldn't mind if they did it for songs from PoW or HYF. Oh, wait, the band recognizes that no one wants to hear those songs? Never mind.

• Like 1

Was I right to be pissed? Was I right to yell at the guy?

I would have been tempted to buy a beer from him...and then throw it in his face.

But seriously, if I were you, I would contact everyone in that venue's management staff and rip them a new one. Inform them that you and everyone you know will NEVER go to that venue again because of their lack of respect for their patrons.

It probably sounded something like this:

When the ebbing tide retreats

Along the rocky COLD BEER!!!!

It leaves a trail of tidal pools

In a short-lived ICE!!! COLD BEER!!!!

Each microcosmic planet

A complete COLD BEER!!!!

I was there and was also quite surprised to see them doing that DURING a show. And it was crappy beer to boot! :) It's irritating enough when that happens at games and they walk in front of you during play. That should only happen during breaks in the event.

You can pretty much count on the fact that it's ALWAYS crappy beer when this happens. It's usually people in the the bud/coors/miller crowd that appreciate and participate in these shenanigans as opposed to the microbrew/craft/import folks.