Funny story about people freaking out over spoilers!!

nicky6

On the 2007 tour snakes, I was on the way over to tweeter center riding the ferry in NJ, This guy riding over with us, was freaking out and kept telling these guys with him, "Don't tell me the setlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs, he kept saying it, whatever you don't do, don't even breathe a word of the setlist. to the point he was almost threatening them with violence. Then he sits down next to me, me, already knowing the setlist, he kept saying to me, god I hope they play earthshine, I really love that song. cant wait to hear it live, he kept saying god I hope they play earthshine. and I was thinking in my mind, dude, they ain't playing earthshine. iam sure he was really letdown that night..

People get really carried away with this spoiler shit,, if ya really don't wanna know anything about the setlist. stay off the internet until you see the show.. People get carried away with that. Once back in 1982, my uncle took me to see rocky III, and when we got home. I told my brother that rocky wins. well, my uncle took that real personal and screamed at me to never do that again, or hes never taking em to another movie. I was 9, well, he ended up homeless on the streets, wonder if spoilers are so important now... People take this shit too serious...

• Like 9

On the 2007 tour snakes, I was on the way over to tweeter center riding the ferry in NJ, This guy riding over with us, was freaking out and kept telling these guys with him, "Don't tell me the setlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs, he kept saying it, whatever you don't do, don't even breathe a word of the setlist. to the point he was almost threatening them with violence. Then he sits down next to me, me, already knowing the setlist, he kept saying to me, god I hope they play earthshine, I really love that song. cant wait to hear it live, he kept saying god I hope they play earthshine. and I was thinking in my mind, dude, they ain't playing earthshine. iam sure he was really letdown that night..

People get really carried away with this spoiler shit,, if ya really don't wanna know anything about the setlist. stay off the internet until you see the show.. People get carried away with that. Once back in 1982, my uncle took me to see rocky III, and when we got home. I told my brother that rocky wins. well, my uncle took that real personal and screamed at me to never do that again, or hes never taking em to another movie. I was 9, well, he ended up homeless on the streets, wonder if spoilers are so important now... People take this shit too serious...

Idiotic post of the year. And that's saying something.

• Like 4

Idiotic post of the year. And that's saying something.

Indeed. Its a tough award to win as the competition is stiff and there are so many deserving posts but^^^.....
  • Like 3

I guess I have a weird sense of humor. I thought it was funny.

I certainly have a weird sense of humor and sometimes infantile ( see spaghetti lee) even but that one I didn't land with me. I wouldn't consider myself prudish or above bathroom humor especially for an old guy. The whole "spoiler" thing gets on my nerves a bit to be honest. I kinda get both sides. This internet sh*t is endlessly fascinating to me either way. Oh well... :)
  • Like 1

I guess we should follow the rules to the extent that is possible, but avoiding spoilers is a mean task. It's evento harder today than it has been in previous tours. If you're a Rush fan, chances are you have friends who like them as well, and their tolerance to spoilers will probably be different than yours. So if you're really adamant about not knowing the setlist, you should stay away from any and all social network from the beginning of the tour right up to the show you attend. That's not easy to do nowadays!

You guys do realize that not everyone on earth feels the same about spoilers, and this is a fan forum, where people come to communicate about Rush, right? Personally I find it astounding that anyone would visit a site where Rush fanatics come to geek out about Rush ad lib, year-round, expecting utter silence about the tour from fans who've already seen a show and come here to geek out about it. I understand that there is a designated section for spoilers, but the content here is all fan-generated and fans get excited. Not all fans are that attentive to detail, some are newbies, some are just plain in their own world and don't consider whether others want to be surprised or not. The only person in total control over what they see on the net is the person deciding to click or not click on a website. Any other wish to control the content of a site like this where people want to discuss anything and everything about the band, related to the band, plus any other thought in their head that they feel like sharing here is just a setup for disappointment. The only way to avoid spoilers is to avoid anyone and everyone who wants to communicate their love of the band or the show unless you know for a fact that they feel exactly as you do, which is impossible to guarantee on a fan forum this large. If you must visit here when you know there may be a spoiler, visit at your own risk. But know that you are sticking your hand into flames expecting not to get burned.
  • Like 6

Sorry...I agree with the spoiler rules, they make total sense to me...but if you're THAT anal about it...don't open the page... sorry. There's a lot of other cool stuff on the internet to keep you occupied!

The only thing spoilers do to ME is if I know they've been playing something, and I'm looking forward to it...then they drop it the night I get to see them!

• Like 3

You guys do realize that not everyone on earth feels the same about spoilers, and this is a fan forum, where people come to communicate about Rush, right? Personally I find it astounding that anyone would visit a site where Rush fanatics come to geek out about Rush ad lib, year-round, expecting utter silence about the tour from fans who've already seen a show and come here to geek out about it. I understand that there is a designated section for spoilers, but the content here is all fan-generated and fans get excited. Not all fans are that attentive to detail, some are newbies, some are just plain in their own world and don't consider whether others want to be surprised or not. The only person in total control over what they see on the net is the person deciding to click or not click on a website. Any other wish to control the content of a site like this where people want to discuss anything and everything about the band, related to the band, plus any other thought in their head that they feel like sharing here is just a setup for disappointment. The only way to avoid spoilers is to avoid anyone and everyone who wants to communicate their love of the band or the show unless you know for a fact that they feel exactly as you do, which is impossible to guarantee on a fan forum this large. If you must visit here when you know there may be a spoiler, visit at your own risk. But know that you are sticking your hand into flames expecting not to get burned.

Amen. The band is on tour. There is a section for spoilers. Someone inadvertantly puts name of song in subject line. A bunch of guys who iron their underwear freak. If you are coming to TRF to avoid spoilers, do it. Don't eye-scan topic titles on Spoiler section.

• Like 1

People babbling on Ferrys usually have mental problems.

I'm pretty uptight about spoilers when it comes to games I'm having to DVR due to other committments, or tv shows I'm into, but something like a concert - to me - it's no big deal. I understand where people come from, but I'm just too damn excited about this show to wait. I'm like a kid snoopign under the Christmas tree shaking presents.

But truthfully - I don't care what they play - I'm just grateful for one more opportunity to see them live! And if this truly is it - then after what I've seen, I'll come away very satisfied as a concert goer. But then again, I could show up to hear a 2 hour NP solo and I'd be over the moon!

People babbling on Ferrys usually have mental problems.

It depends on what they are babbling about. Not all babbling is an indication of poor mental health.

I understand Albert Einstein was a babbler to end all babblers. But he didn't travel on ferries, so that may have saved his mental health.

Edited by Lorraine

Starting with the VT tour, I've spoiled myself silly for every tour. But this time around, I decided to go old school for the Austin show. None the less, I inadvertantly saw the names of two songs. One they played, one they didn't. I really enjoyed not knowing what was coming for the most part. Glad I did it.

You handled that situation different then I would have. Getting off the ferry I would have told him "dude they're not playing f-ing Earthshine, you're getting Secret Touch instead and you will like it". Odds are he wouldn't have done a damn thing to you with other people being around.