The reason why Rush will come to Europe as well

YYZumbi

This is it. How many way's can you say it. I believe the only member interested in r40 is Ged.

Al is hurting.

Neil is hurting as well and checked out LONG ago if you ask me.

Mick

i don't believe Neil has checked out. Dude is still giving the fans what he has left in the tank.

Fingers crossed Geddy might do some solo shows in London. I've read he's a big fan of that city, and he and his wife vacation there quite a lot. Maybe he'll consider touring over here in a few years time with a new record.

I'd go and see that. Imagine Geddy playing 2 or 3 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo!

Not sure what the climate is like over there, but I don't think Geddy solo could sell out 2-3 nights in a comparable size room here in the states. Not on his first tour at least.

You may be right. Maybe it is a little too optimistic to expect Geddy to sell out multiple dates at the same venue on his first solo tour, but it would be very cool to see Geddy perform at a venue such as the Hammersmith Apollo.

Fingers crossed Geddy might do some solo shows in London. I've read he's a big fan of that city, and he and his wife vacation there quite a lot. Maybe he'll consider touring over here in a few years time with a new record.

I'd go and see that. Imagine Geddy playing 2 or 3 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo!

Not sure what the climate is like over there, but I don't think Geddy solo could sell out 2-3 nights in a comparable size room here in the states. Not on his first tour at least.

In an atmosphere of a world where Rush no longer exists, maybe he'd have to move from Radio City to the Beacon. He could easily sell out a bunch of nights there, especially if it was a limited city run. Plus, ya got all em fans traveling everywhere to see the last survivor of Rush. Folks don't do that ;) ?

Rush was on last nite, even on the bitty stream. Someone actually had HD clear stream for a bunch of songs from fifth row. Great view, hard to see that new drummer guy from so close. Did not see much discomfort at all, they looked happy.

They really have some juice left in the tank. No artist should fully retire with juice left in the tank, they'll only regret it... in the end.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

In an atmosphere of a world where Rush no longer exists, maybe he'd have to move from Radio City to the Beacon. He could easily sell out a bunch of nights there, especially if it was a limited city run. Plus, ya got all em fans traveling everywhere to see the last survivor of Rush. Folks don't do that ;) ?

Rush was on last nite, even on the bitty stream. Someone actually had HD clear stream for a bunch of songs from fifth row. Great view, hard to see that new drummer guy from so close. Did not see much discomfort at all, they looked happy.

They really have some juice left in the tank. No artist should fully retire with juice left in the tank, they'll only regret it... in the end.

I don't think he could sell out a single night at RCMH his first time out. I think that a night at the Beacon would also be a bit ambitious on the first go 'round. Once he gets established? Sure....anything's possible. If I had to wager, I'd say the first Geddy solo NYC show would be at Best Buy or Terminal 5. In any case, it would be 100% diehard Rush fans.

LOL. After 40 years of outstanding work and a perennially satisfied fanbase, these guys have nothing to regret.

Juice or not, Alex and Neil are playing under bodily protest.

Quit being greedy. Let it go. They deserve it.

I think they'll finish through the LA dates.

After that, I doubt we can expect to hear from them for a good while. Neil will probably write...or maybe help Kevin promote the CA novel sequel. Geddy will definitely hit the studio with his new arsenal. Alex, heck, who knows what Alex will do. :)

LOL. After 40 years of outstanding work and a perennially satisfied fanbase, these guys have nothing to regret.

Juice or not, Alex and Neil are playing under bodily protest.

Quit being greedy. Let it go. They deserve it.

VS retirement police! "Should fully retire" was a bad choice of words by me. My intent with that phrase was to acknowledge a nearly full time retirement upcoming.

I intended to say... I think they had it last night, and the new drummer guy even looked comfortable. I am not asking for anything.I am very happy with the multitude of shows and albums experienced. When you got juice in the tank, its a shame to not drink it. To 100% retire...That could be a decision regretted, in the end. We can agree to disagree.

so Alex is essentially agreeing with me..looks like new music is distinctly possible.

"Alex also thinks there's still a good possibility of another Rush album"

juice in the tank.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

It's possible. It's just not probable. That's all I've been saying the whole time.

Fans don't wanna hear that.

Me, I'm good with realities. There are worse fates than the one Rush has already created for themselves.

From the article in the link posted above:

... These days it's Lee who is driving Rush forward. He wants to tour more. If he gets his way, the band will return to the UK and mainland Europe in 2016. Whatever happens next, he says, will be dependent on how the other two guys are feeling after the US tour: "If everyone's really digging it, the way I think we will, then we might carry on." ...

I think VS that most fans realize Rush is slowing down dramatically, but fans are hoping for some more magic, just not of the current magnitude.

maybe an ep or a 6-7 song release instead of a mega CA like production.

maybe 5-10 shows in select cities, residency style.

the above would conform to the infamous press release at the onset of this tour.

if you, eh Neil, wanted to fully retire, he would have been clear in his comments. He writes the words after all.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/05/19/4350/Rush-cover-feature-and-new-interview-in-the-July-2015-issue-of-Classic-Rock

"If [Geddy] gets his way, the band will return to the UK and mainland Europe in 2016"

We're doing a rail tour of Germany next summer with the entire family, all 35 of us. If they do tour I'll coax my parents into manipulating the vacation a bit so maybe I can catch a show. I know my brother in law always wanted to see Rush and his boys are now 15 and 13, perfect time to pop their rush cherries.

Expecting more of Rush is kinda lame, I think.

It's the difference between seeing them as icons and seeing them as humans, I guess.

You're correct. Despite my previous post, I do hope they retire and enjoy their lives and their money properly. They earned it. We all have their music to remember them by forever. But, if they do come back, I will go. I hope they don't, but I'll gladly pony up almost any amount and go, especially if it's when I am in Germany. I always thought it would be cool.to.do that. An old college girlfriend got to see the Wall in Germany and it was all.she talked about for weeks. That and the lack of bathroom facilities :)

I don't think he could sell out a single night at RCMH his first time out. I think that a night at the Beacon would also be a bit ambitious on the first go 'round. Once he gets established? Sure....anything's possible. If I had to wager, I'd say the first Geddy solo NYC show would be at Best Buy or Terminal 5. In any case, it would be 100% diehard Rush fans.

Are there ANY other kind?

RCMH would be too ambitious, but Terminal 5 and Beacon are both 3,000 seat venues, so we are basically agreeing. I'd say Beacon, because Ged has a heart and knows his old fans need an occasional spell in the seat!

In a world where Neil formally announces his retirement (so we'd have retirement clarity) and Alex agrees to do "some writing and recording" there are enough diehard Rush fans to fill 3k venues. Get some special guests to tour on drums and guitar...And if Ged announces some Rush will be played, it's an easy bet.

This tour has been unreal regarding popularity. Greensboro is going to sell out. Greensboro in the country and mountains, far from the coast. That is incredible. Sellouts all over the place. You know how rare tickets are in the Northeast. Yes, Geddy is not Rush, but in this hypothetical, he would be the closest there is, except for kRush of course ;)

Expecting more of Rush is kinda lame, I think.

It's the difference between seeing them as icons and seeing them as humans, I guess.

Hey Neil, eh VS, Rush IS different.

Rush music is iconic. Created and performed by humans with integrity rarely found in the rock biz.

Is AC/DC lame for continuing after so many tragedies and lineup changes? Their fans want the magic to continue, so the show goes on.

Seeing Eddie with his son replacing MA? Lame?

The carousel of singers?

Bringing DLR back after publicly hating him for 25 years? Sounds like one giant act.

But the fans responded, so on it goes.

Rush is different compared to the classic rock crew.

Were talking what, releasing a few songs. Geez, Alex is predicting a NEW ALBUM. I ain't asking for so much, but it would be greatly appreciated.

To want a little more...to keep the magic going, even in some small degree... from such a special and unique band is normal reaction to the magic they provided. Retirement is accepted. Until it is announced, hope springs eternal.

Yet you, eh, he, hasn't said something that is so simple to say. The tickets are already sold, so that excuse is long gone. Just say it Neil, if that's your final wish, you have earned it.

You must be baiting with that post.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

A formal announcement just isn't their style. Don't hold your breath.

Not all of us need things spelled out ABC style to see the forest for The Trees. :)

And asking more of a band that's been so prolific and fan friendly for so long is pretty weak sauce.

• Like 1

A formal announcement just isn't their style. Don't hold your breath.

Not all of us need things spelled out ABC style to see the forest for The Trees. :)

And asking more of a band that's been so prolific and fan friendly for so long is pretty weak sauce.

I am not asking for anything, I am grateful for all Rush has done. I did use the ask word as comparison to what other classic rockers are doing. If no fans were to "ask" then it is fairly obvious what the answer is.

Better word...I am "hopeful" that health would allow a little more juice. Can I emphasize the "little" part?

Edited by Gabrielgil513

maybe an ep or a 6-7 song release instead of a mega CA like production.

So you mean regular album length

The last two Rush albums were 12-13 songs...

So 6-7 is about about half...hence I said EP

or perhaps less.

Um. You're already getting a little more juice. This R40 tour.

Sheesh. Some folks always want more.

Of course fans want more. Of course that's tempered by their health. So fans hope for band life over band discontinuance.

Doesn't have to be Forest For The Trees. If it were so easy, it can be decided with three words, taking one second of time. The pressure to keep those words would be enormous. So we will get tiny morsels, and be happy with that.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Some fans clamor for band activity over band retirement, sure. What many don't seem to care about is the potential COST of continued band activity. It implies a distressing lack of empathy, and a disheartening level of narcissism.

I don't need Rush to make an official press announcement that they're retiring to know that they probably are.

If you need your black and white realities, that's unfortunate, because this is not a world of black and whites.

It's a world of grays.

It would seem that diehard fans would know long before this near-certain last tour that Rush has always downplayed the limelight - so to speak - and that big official announcements and ceremonies and general spotlight hoopla just aren't their bag.

The closest they come to any kind of grandeur is their pyro-laser stage shows.

Look at their RRHOF induction. Look at the how much they let themselves be features in festivals, television appearances, and general music industry hooplas.

The obvious conclusion is - not very much.

They're private and humble guys.

It is not in their usual modicum of behaviors to make a big deal out of retirement. And what if they did? That doesn't guarantee they would never come outta retirement.

It's been decided. It just hasn't been publically stated to a preferable level of certainty that you seem to need.

I don't need more info than I already have. Worse case scenario for me is, I turn out to be wrong to some degree, and I get some kind of Rush EP or another chance to see them. If I'm not, I got bitchin' seats to their last tour. It's a win win for me.

But it seems for some fans, they're really wrestling with the possibility they may not return.

It's better to accept things as they are, and if anything is added in the future Rush wise, to consider it a bonus.

Me, I'm at the point where I know enough about Peart and Lifeson's current capabilities and how they're already stretching their limits and endurance to make this small tour happen.

So if I really love Rush and its members as much as I do, how important they have been throughout my life, I will gravitate toward the side of their retirement, because they've given us enough and they ought to start taking care of their older selves and quit the road shows outright.