The reason why Rush will come to Europe as well

YYZumbi

I hope that they do come to Europe as I would love to see them again, if just to say goodbye. I've only seen them once, after all.

I had no idea that Alex was also suffering while playing though, not just Neil. That really sucks, so while I would love Bard to be wrong (no offence mate), I think he's probably right with this: they are stopping for good after L.A.

It can't be any fun playing in pain after all.

I don't know where this "Alex is hurt" stuff is coming from.

This s what he said about their future...

" I have such mixed feelings about it. In one way, I feel relief. I think that 40 years is a long time to be touring the way we tour. I really like being home with my grandkids. At 61, I don't feel there's anything we need to prove....

Well, we're not finished as a band. We still talk about recording.

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts ... like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

Ged and I are just itching to get back into writing. He just revamped his studio, and he's not a tech kind of studio guy. He doesn't know how probably even one per cent of that stuff works.

But he's had this renaissance of being a musician and wanting to play and study more — it's really inspiring to see. When things slow down we'll start to do some writing, for whatever purpose. We've always talked about doing some soundtrack work. "

So take it anyway you want... sounds like a 'we'll see'.

Edited by Fat Stick

" I have such mixed feelings about it. In one way, I feel relief. I think that 40 years is a long time to be touring the way we tour. I really like being home with my grandkids. At 61, I don't feel there's anything we need to prove....

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts ... like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

Ged and I are just itching to get back into writing. He just revamped his studio, and he's not a tech kind of studio guy. He doesn't know how probably even one per cent of that stuff works.

But he's had this renaissance of being a musician and wanting to play and study more — it's really inspiring to see. When things slow down we'll start to do some writing, for whatever purpose. We've always talked about doing some soundtrack work. "

This is from 2013....

http://www.musicrada...art-four-575756

Lifeson: I have psoriatic arthritis. I've been dealing with that for about 10 years. Every year, it gets a little more difficult, and it spreads a little more. I take medication.

Edited by Justin Case

This is from 2013....

Lifeson: I have psoriatic arthritis. I've been dealing with that for about 10 years. Every year, it gets a little more difficult, and it spreads a little more. I take medication.

He also mentioned it on that Redman interview a few weeks ago.

Reading the last few posts, sounds like Alex is slowing way down. A few years ago he was gung ho to keep going, but unfortunately, that ailment is causing him pain to play.

Reading how Ged just set up a new studio, rallied the troops for R40 and typically states he still loves to record and play...

Sounds like we may have a bit of a solo Geddy Lee career upcoming. That would be fun, but then there's the issue would solo Ged ever play a Rush tune live. A good chance not or VERY little.

Rush thankfully holds themselves to a very high standard. There are bands out there touring under their original name with only the second cousin of the original drummer in the band.

• Like 1

This is from 2013....

He also mentioned it on that Redman interview a few weeks ago.

My dad has had this seemingly his entire adulthood. Not cool at all. He suffered years and years and has been taking Humira injections for quite a few years now and it has helped some with clearing his skin and inflammation. I realize he is 81 now but this sh*t doesn't play and never has. Not sure how severe Alex's situation is but it doesn't get better only worse. No cure and it can only be lessened some as far as inflammation etc. Playing the guitar is gonna hurt and it probably already does a lot. As I have said... Bless the effort but don't expect much more...
  • Like 3

I knew about the psoriatic arthritis... but I must have misinterpreted what others have been saying as he was injured.

Apparently.

It's no joke.

Nor is Neil's tendonitis.

LA is the last show for a good while. Perhaps the last one ever.

Again...they've earned it.

Playing music to capacity crowds while sucking up the pain isn't a chilled quiet retirement.

It's the last outing, boys n' girls.

See 'em if you can.

Well Phil Mickelson is still playing the PGA tour, and tendonitis heals with rest., or in the extreme...surgery.

In my over half century on this rock, there's one thing I've learned... NEVER say never.

But it is a given... DO NOT MISS R40!

I'd be happy to be wrong, believe me. :)

But I don't think I am.

I neither think that I am wrong. :D

Alex and Neil are playing under physical discomfort. That's only getting worse EACH TIME THEY PLAY.

The truth is, they SHOULD retire. They're more lauded and legendary than they've ever been at this point. And there's no need to satisfy global fan interest under consequences of further pain and long term disability. If you're a fan who's outta range, that sucks, I feel for ya, and if they'd decided to do a Canada-only run or a Europe run or a South American run and skip the states, I'd be lamenting that missed last tour myself.

BUT...I'd understand it.

It's a decent time to go out on top. And give the boys a well needed and well earned rest and retirement.

So what's wrong with Alex? I hadn't heard that he was having problems.

But I don't think I am.

Alex and Neil are playing under physical discomfort. That's only getting worse EACH TIME THEY PLAY.

The truth is, they SHOULD retire. They're more lauded and legendary than they've ever been at this point. And there's no need to satisfy global fan interest under consequences of further pain and long term disability. If you're a fan who's outta range, that sucks, I feel for ya, and if they'd decided to do a Canada-only run or a Europe run or a South American run and skip the states, I'd be lamenting that missed last tour myself.

BUT...I'd understand it.

It's a decent time to go out on top. And give the boys a well needed and well earned rest and retirement.

Read back a page.

But I don't think I am.

BUT...I'd understand it.

Read back a page.

What she said. Or really, in virtually any other thread. :)

Fingers crossed Geddy might do some solo shows in London. I've read he's a big fan of that city, and he and his wife vacation there quite a lot. Maybe he'll consider touring over here in a few years time with a new record.

Zumbi seems to be in the denial phase right now. I was there to back when this tour was announced. I didn't believe all the talk about the band retiring after it was over. But slowly as the tour drew nearer and I heard all the talk about Neil and Alex's health issues, I accepted that this very well is probably it for them. Add on to that Geddy's aging voice and I also read he has some shoulder problems to, it seems almost a certainty that they won't be touring again. Just look at the setlist, it definitely has that farewell feel to it. Even if they do play some random shows again, I think it's gonna be quite a few years before we hear from them again once R40 is over. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

This is it. How many way's can you say it. I believe the only member interested in r40 is Ged.

Al is hurting.

Neil is hurting as well and checked out LONG ago if you ask me.

Mick

• Like 5

The reason Rush must come to Europe is because the Prince have decreed it! Rush owe the Prince a great debt
  • Like 3

Find yourself another band around your own age and grow old with them.

Surely there must be other good bands around today.

Just think about how much of a rarity Rush is to still be around after 40 years with all of the same members. I can't think of any other group that's done it.

• Like 5

Just think about how much of a rarity Rush is to still be around after 40 years with all of the same members. I can't think of any other group that's done it.

It is amazing, and I do not know how they did it. It says more about their character than anything else.

I think that the friendship of Al and Geddy going back to when they were ten years old has a lot to do with their ability to get along. As for Neil, he seems to be a man that once he has made up his mind to do something, he sticks with it no matter what. Also, the fact that none of them really went off the rails (excessive drug/alcohol usage, girls, girls, girls and more girls) like most other bands of their generation factors in too I think.

It would be a good question to ask Rush - how they managed to do it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

It is amazing, and I do not know how they did it. It says more about their character than anything else.

I think that the friendship of Al and Geddy going back to when they were ten years old has a lot to do with their ability to get along. As for Neil, he seems to be a man that once he has made up his mind to do something, he sticks with it no matter what. Also, the fact that none of them really went off the rails (excessive drug/alcohol usage, girls, girls, girls and more girls) like most other bands of their generation factors in too I think.

It would be a good question to ask Rush - how they managed to do it.

I agree with both of you.

All three of them have the most remarkable relationship together- both professionally and personally- that I've ever seen in a group of musicians.

• Like 6

Fingers crossed Geddy might do some solo shows in London. I've read he's a big fan of that city, and he and his wife vacation there quite a lot. Maybe he'll consider touring over here in a few years time with a new record.

I'd go and see that. Imagine Geddy playing 2 or 3 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo!

• Like 1

I'd go and see that. Imagine Geddy playing 2 or 3 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo!

Not sure what the climate is like over there, but I don't think Geddy solo could sell out 2-3 nights in a comparable size room here in the states. Not on his first tour at least.