Geddy's voice on this tour??

nicky6

Would it help Ged a little if Lakeside Park was tuned down a step? Curious as to how that might sound. Any thoughts from forum musicians?

I think it is.

Oh it is? I haven't compared it to the album version yet. He really seems to be straining on this one. But 2 hours in thats understandable.

At this point, everybody knows Clockwork Angels is way superior.

Superior to Moving Pictures?

Who is this guy? :)

To Snakes and Arrows and Vapor Trails.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree it's a vastly better effort than VT.

But I'm probably in the minority in thinking SnA is a better album than CA.

I loved SnA!

Snakes and Arrows while it was a MAJOR improvement from the grunge/death metal attempt that was Vapor Trails, I felt it still suffered from what I like to call "Nickelback/Death Magnetic syndrome" where it's still horribly brickwalled in terms of sound, but I feel the songs were more melodic and catchy than Vapor Trails.

Clockwork Angels on the other hand, while it still sounds like Death Magnetic at some points, it has FAR superior songwriting. Hell, the title track is one of Rush's best heavy metal songs. Also, this was Rush's first attempt at a full theme album/rock opera like Dream Theater's Metropolis II Scenes From A Memory and it definitley was impressive.

In no way.

Is Rush.

Heavy Metal.

At any time.

In their history.

PSA #345. :)

To each to their own, but SnA is clearly a better Rush album than CA. :)

Absolutely. i love it.........It should be getting the praise CA gets, IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

I thought he sounded excellent in Austin last night. I went in with zero spoilers. I couldn't believe he was singing so much 70s material so well. Blew me away. Thought the entire show, concept, and execution was absolutely brilliant. Maybe my favorite concert all time, and I've seen almost everyone. I could't be more impressed with Geddy--an inspiring dude.

I loved SnA!

Snakes and Arrows while it was a MAJOR improvement from the grunge/death metal attempt that was Vapor Trails, I felt it still suffered from what I like to call "Nickelback/Death Magnetic syndrome" where it's still horribly brickwalled in terms of sound, but I feel the songs were more melodic and catchy than Vapor Trails.

Clockwork Angels on the other hand, while it still sounds like Death Magnetic at some points, it has FAR superior songwriting. Hell, the title track is one of Rush's best heavy metal songs. Also, this was Rush's first attempt at a full theme album/rock opera like Dream Theater's Metropolis II Scenes From A Memory and it definitley was impressive.

In no way.

Is Rush.

Heavy Metal.

At any time.

In their history.

I don't think that post said anything about Rush being metal (although I think they should be credited as founders of progressive metal).

I loved SnA!

In no way.

Is Rush.

Heavy Metal.

At any time.

In their history.

I don't think that post said anything about Rush being metal (although I think they should be credited as founders of progressive metal).

Read it again. The poster cites Clockwork Angels as one of Rush's best heavy metal songs.

I do not think Rush, or Yes, or Pink Floyd, can adequately be described as progressive metal. Progressive rock, all founders, yes.

I tend to make a big distinction between hard rock and heavy metal. For me there is a clear and distinct difference.

I loved SnA!

In no way.

Is Rush.

Heavy Metal.

At any time.

In their history.

Read it again. The poster cites Clockwork Angels as one of Rush's best heavy metal songs.

I do not think Rush, or Yes, or Pink Floyd, can adequately be described as progressive metal. Progressive rock, all founders, yes.

I tend to make a big distinction between hard rock and heavy metal. For me there is a clear and distinct difference.

Rush one of the founders of Progressive Rock? Seriously?

• Like 1

Overall, his voice sounds much better than the previous two tours. One thing I am noticing is he's losing some control in places. He can hit the notes; just not very cleanly at times.

#nitpicking

His voice on the Time Machine Tour was great

I loved SnA!

I personally love CA, but I can see how it's polarizing. Some like it, some don't. Some people think the sound is too "cluttered" (a fair criticism). If you just want a stripped down, straight forward rock album, CA really isn't for you. S n' A would be much more along those lines. I love S n' A as well. The band's last 2 albums are a couple of their best IMO. I like them both more than RTB, Presto, HYF, TFE or VT, etc. What is amazing is that CA and S n' A are so different, but both kick ass in their own way. Edited by CaressMySteel
  • Like 2

I never thought of Clockwork Angels as heavy metal; hard rock, with progressive elements, yes, but not heavy metal. I think Rush sometimes sound heavy metal at their concerts due to Alex's roaring guitar, though. Rush in Rio's version of 2112 and By-tor and the Snow Dog certainly sound metal to my ears!

As for Geddy's voice, I think he sounds great this tour. Definitely better than he did in Clockwork Angels (which I still enjoyed a lot), although he hasn't done 30+ shows yet. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses throughout the tour, although I'm sure he'll do great.

Of course. That said, it's a smaller sub-genre in the hard rock lexicon, so founder-student-teacher syntax can be thrown around pretty widely, I guess. Certainly Rush and Floyd seem to be the only prog outfits that transitioned successfully into the hard rock mainstream.

I do not think the mainstream headbangers ever really embraced Yes or Genesis or the MB's or ELP or JT on a mass scale...definitely not at Rush or Floyd's levels, anyway.

Edited by Bard

Of course. That said, it's a smaller sub-genre in the hard rock lexicon, so founder-student-teacher syntax can be thrown around pretty widely, I guess. Certainly Rush and Floyd seem to be the only prog outfits that transitioned successfully into the hard rock mainstream.

I do not think the mainstream headbangers ever really embraced Yes or Genesis or the MB's or ELP or JT on a mass scale...definitely not at Rush or Floyd's levels, anyway.

• Like 1

I loved SnA!

Hey, we agree on something! :cheers:

I loved SnA!

Hey, we agree on something! :cheers:

To butt in with my opinion. I really like Clockwork Angels but I think Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows are far superior. They are interesting albums, very different sounding from anything else out there. Clockwork Angels is a concept record with a lot of call backs to the earlier albums. It's a good metal album (it's heavier than hard rock not sure what else to call it) I personally think Snakes and Arrows and Vapor Trails are just more interesting. Clockwork Angels just feels a little generic to me I guess.

On Geddy's voice. It was amazing sounding for the Austin show.

I never said progressive rock, but progressive metal.

• Like 1

Considering his age, I think his voice is amazing. It has gotten better and better since VT.
  • Like 1

I love SnA, and I love CA, but to me, the recording quality on SnA is far superior to that of CA. SnA was much crisper (especially teh drums). Even when they release Caravan and BU2B as singles - they were crisp, but they are much cloudier on the CA album. Don't get it.

From what I've heard (based on downloads and Youtube) - Geddy's voice sounds much better than CA and TMT. Can't wait to hear the drums - for me SnA has the best sounding drums!

• Like 1

I love SnA, and I love CA, but to me, the recording quality on SnA is far superior to that of CA. SnA was much crisper (especially teh drums). Even when they release Caravan and BU2B as singles - they were crisp, but they are much cloudier on the CA album. Don't get it.

From what I've heard (based on downloads and Youtube) - Geddy's voice sounds much better than CA and TMT. Can't wait to hear the drums - for me SnA has the best sounding drums!

Yes it does! I agree. I can't wait to hear the two different drumsets too and how they differ.

It may sound crazy...But I thought "Chromey 2.0" was much more resonant, and had a deeper punch. But, in all honesty it may have been the anticipation of the older stuff as well. I have a discerning ear, but I think that they may have built two kits out of that 1200 year old log. Props to Neil for changing his style for the second set.

I thought we were promised no more attempts to jack up the prices for the LA shows?

A fan was kind enough to link the STL second set and encore since NOLA was dark. Rush sounded great, better than their last Blu ray. Geddy's singing was very good. All three played tremendously.

When Geddy makes absolute crystal clear comments about full retirement, which very well may happen this year, I will listen carefully and salute their great career. That's how this band should be respected. No one else should be speaking for Ged. He is the leader of Rush.

I never said progressive rock, but progressive metal.

I think it's more fair to say that Rush brought a hard rock edge (not metal) to prog that had been scarce prior to them (King Crimson could be pretty hard rocking at times, but in a more unusual and dissonant way). Rush is not a founder of prog, but I think it is fair to say that they blended hard rock and progressive rock pretty nicely there for a while in the mid to late 70s.

• Like 1