Months of Rehearsal?

Rush85dude

Rehearsals are different than actually going on the road. The rehearsals take place in one venue but playing on a tour is a whole different thing because of the travel. Alex may be struggling because of his arthritis or may just be he's not in the tour rhythm yet. I would imagine it takes most bands a week or two to settle into touring mode. Also, he's playing a double neck guitar during Xanadu and i'm not sure how much those things weigh but i'm guessing they're probably a little heavy for a 62 year old man with not much upper body muscle to carry. If he's being careful with his playing and trying not to mess anything up then good. That means we're guaranteed to get the best playing possible from him.

I hope it's Alex just trying to play everything right and not his arthritis causing him problems.

I give them huge credit for the double necks, but i think they easily could pull off Xanadu with single necks and some effects which might make it more playable for them.

There's a reason people don't play double necks unless they really, really need too...they're awkward as hell.

I was going to go but after hearing Alex make a mistake on Zanadu, I've sold my ticket. I have no patience for mistakes!

I was thinking the same thing after Neil blew the drum break in Natural Science the other night!! I mean HOW COULD HE DO THAT?!?!?! :wtf:

Warning: long post ahead!

Well, I was going to wait for some sort of massive inspiration for my 2112th post, but it's meant I have to stay silent too much, so . . .

I think there have been some interesting things written in this thread. I've been going back and forth between thinking "this is amazing; I can't believe they're playing these songs!" and a much more (I'm sorry to say) negative pissy-moany kind of thing that has to do with the mistakes (sorry . . . "new parts") I'm hearing, and Lee's singing, which often seems like yelling - and I say this with full acknowledgement of the fact that he's older now, he's perhaps even sacrificed that which always made his voice incredible through years of robust performances, and he's gamely giving it his all - for which we love him. I just wish that he would work on making some adjustments to the parts. He already does this in many ways, but . . . perhaps some more alternate melodies would allow him to deliver without sounding so pained?

Like many others on the forum, I try not to let the mistakes bother me, because this is some of the most difficult music to pull together, and Rush is one of the most unique sounding bands out there. Their music, when I hear it, will always take me back to certain places and put me in certain emotional spaces regardless of the performance. I think the positive attitude wins out - at the end of the day I am pleased and proud by the band's efforts.

I guess part of the thing is that many Rush fans truly know every note, every interestingly placed kick drum. So when something is different, it really jumps into your coconut. There is one little specific thing that I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed. When Lifeson is playing the guitar pattern in the Hemispheres Prelude just before the harmonic thing, it seems to me it is different from what he plays on the album, and I'm curious about whether it might be a deliberately new part, or whether Lifeson is just grabbing a chord shape which is similar but on different strings? On the album, I hear that part being played on the bottom strings (E to D) with these notes beginning the arpeggiated part: F C E G. When he plays it live, I hear F F A B (on the E, D, G, and B strings), which is a similar chord shape, but obviously different notes.

Some folks will likely say, "Geez, dude." Seriously?" But I gotta say, I've listened to Hemispheres many times in my lifetime. Every note to me is perfect, and I notice when they're different (I'm not applying this to solos as much, for which there will always be a bit of variation). So I can't help wondering if some of us "know the notes" even better than they do?? In rehearsal, did Lifeson sit down with the song and try to relearn it by ear, or did he go with his memory of the chord shape but just grab slightly different strings?

I'm blown away by the fact that they're playing Jacob's Ladder, but there again, I'm hearing different notes. I'm hearing Lifeson fret notes that on the album are actually bends, especially in the part leading up to (and including) the solo. I'm hearing Lee rush those synthesizer notes just a little bit. Little things like that. In many ways I like it because it's different, but another part of me is going, "wait a second . . ."

Sorry for the long post. It's my 2112th, so it should be epic, no? To make a long question short: beginning of tour mistakes . . . or just new parts?

I hope the tone of this post doesn't seem like I'm being cranky. I hope it doesn't even sound like I'm saying "well, they're doing the best they can even though they're old." I think many of these performances are great, and yes I think the mistakes can often be justified in various ways. I look forward to following the tour with the rest of you, and I hope the periscope thing keeps working!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 4

I was going to go but after hearing Alex make a mistake on Zanadu, I've sold my ticket. I have no patience for mistakes!

That is the exact same reason why I will never read another one of your posts.
  • Like 1

Well, I was going to wait for some sort of massive inspiration for my 2112th post, but it's meant I have to stay silent too much, so . . .

I think there have been some interesting things written in this thread. I've been going back and forth between thinking "this is amazing; I can't believe they're playing these songs!" and a much more (I'm sorry to say) negative pissy-moany kind of thing that has to do with the mistakes (sorry . . . "new parts") I'm hearing, and Lee's singing, which often seems like yelling - and I say this with full acknowledgement of the fact that he's older now, he's perhaps even sacrificed that which always made his voice incredible through years of robust performances, and he's gamely giving it his all - for which we love him. I just wish that he would work on making some adjustments to the parts. He already does this in many ways, but . . . perhaps some more alternate melodies would allow him to deliver without sounding so pained?

Like many others on the forum, I try not to let the mistakes bother me, because this is some of the most difficult music to pull together, and Rush is one of the most unique sounding bands out there. Their music, when I hear it, will always take me back to certain places and put me in certain emotional spaces regardless of the performance. I think the positive attitude wins out - at the end of the day I am pleased and proud by the band's efforts.

I guess part of the thing is that many Rush fans truly know every note, every interestingly placed kick drum. So when something is different, it really jumps into your coconut. There is one little specific thing that I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed. When Lifeson is playing the guitar pattern in the Hemispheres Prelude just before the harmonic thing, it seems to me it is different from what he plays on the album, and I'm curious about whether it might be a deliberately new part, or whether Lifeson is just grabbing a chord shape which is similar but on different strings? On the album, I hear that part being played on the bottom strings (E to D) with these notes beginning the arpeggiated part: F C E G. When he plays it live, I hear F F A B (on the E, D, G, and B strings), which is a similar chord shape, but obviously different notes.

Some folks will likely say, "Geez, dude." Seriously?" But I gotta say, I've listened to Hemispheres many times in my lifetime. Every note to me is perfect, and I notice when they're different (I'm not applying this to solos as much, for which there will always be a bit of variation). So I can't help wondering if some of us "know the notes" even better than they do?? In rehearsal, did Lifeson sit down with the song and try to relearn it by ear, or did he go with his memory of the chord shape but just grab slightly different strings?

I'm blown away by the fact that they're playing Jacob's Ladder, but there again, I'm hearing different notes. I'm hearing Lifeson fret notes that on the album are actually bends, especially in the part leading up to (and including) the solo. I'm hearing Lee rush those synthesizer notes just a little bit. Little things like that. In many ways I like it because it's different, but another part of me is going, "wait a second . . ."

Sorry for the long post. It's my 2112th, so it should be epic, no? To make a long question short: beginning of term mistakes . . . or just new parts?

I hope the tone of this post doesn't seem like I'm being cranky. I hope it doesn't even sound like I'm saying "well, they're doing the best they can even though they're old." I think many of these performances are great, and yes I think the mistakes can often be justified in various ways. I look forward to following the tour with the rest of you, and I hope the periscope thing keeps working!

We interrupt our regularly scheduled thread to congratulate Toymaker on his 2112th post.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Rehearsals are different than actually going on the road. The rehearsals take place in one venue but playing on a tour is a whole different thing because of the travel. Alex may be struggling because of his arthritis or may just be he's not in the tour rhythm yet. I would imagine it takes most bands a week or two to settle into touring mode. Also, he's playing a double neck guitar during Xanadu and i'm not sure how much those things weigh but i'm guessing they're probably a little heavy for a 62 year old man with not much upper body muscle to carry. If he's being careful with his playing and trying not to mess anything up then good. That means we're guaranteed to get the best playing possible from him.

I hope it's Alex just trying to play everything right and not his arthritis causing him problems.

The EDS-1275 weighs somewhere betwixt 12 and 13 pounds. They are weird in that the necks are heavier than the body.

Conversely, a Rickenbacker 4080 weighs about 15 pounds.

A few years ago, Alex did say how the double necks are a bitch cause they are so heavy, and being older and not being as light and spry as he used to be, that has to be taking a toll on him. Given their ages, I'll give them a pass for this kind of stuff.

Warning: short post ahead!

Who is this Rush band you speak of?

Wait, Don Cherry has an answer.

"These uh, Torrona boys done good eh? "

I've given this a lot of thought after listening to the first three shows. It's this unbelievably high standard they have set over the years. Minor mistakes made by Rush instantly jump out right at you.

• Like 1

Then Geddy made a mistake saying they never played Jacobs Ladder live on opening night. I heard the into to it one their third show where he said "I'm told we haven't played this song in a long time"

Geddy made a talking mistake. Just pathetic, don't these guy's rehearse anything? :huh:
  • Like 1

I've given this a lot of thought after listening to the first three shows. It's this unbelievably high standard they have set over the years. Minor mistakes made by Rush instantly jump out right at you.

Everyone always complains that Rush doesn't improvise on stage enough, and now that they are, people are still complaining. Edited by snowdogged

I kind of assumed people would know I was joking, but sometimes humor, especially unfunny humor doesn't translate.

I kind of assumed people would know I was joking, but sometimes humor, especially unfunny humor doesn't translate.

I wasn't sure if you were joking or not but I saw an opening and went for it. :cheers:

I agree.........BUT.....hold on

it's 3 freakin' shows in!!!!!!!!!!

relax, lol

Mick

When Judas Priest started their 40th anniversary tour, someone complained about the drumming opening night. The drummer replied "It takes 10 shows to get us in good form". There are usually little fuckups at the start of a show. Rush is no different, they'll hit their stride soon enough

I wasn't sure if you were joking or not but I saw an opening and went for it. :cheers:

That's why I "liked" your comment. :)

Then Geddy made a mistake saying they never played Jacobs Ladder live on opening night. I heard the into to it one their third show where he said "I'm told we haven't played this song in a long time"

Geddy made a talking mistake. Just pathetic, don't these guy's rehearse anything? :huh:

You made a punctuation mistake. You incorrectly used an apostrophe in "guys".

I'm never talking to you again! :gumby:

Sorry for the long post. It's my 2112th, so it should be epic, no? To make a long question short: beginning of tour mistakes . . . or just new parts?

true dat...he's either missing the harmonics or playing different harmonics. that was kind of bugging me as well being so used to hearing it one way all these years. I'm not sure why he would initially change it because there's no vocals or anything in that section of the song where the original harmonics messes things up.

But i usually screw those harmonics up as well when I haven't played that in a while.