Months of Rehearsal?

Rush85dude

A place to be snarky. Put your gripes about how songs have sounded so far. Might be early-in-the-tour stuff but I've got a couple:

1. Alex's playing on YYZ and Xanadu not even close to as fluid as CA and R30.

2. Hard time hearing toms in recordings of second set. Is it the drum set, mics, or seating location of recorder?

Love Rush, can't wait to see em but thought this might be a good place to aggregate all of our petty gripes about how they're playing so far.

Alex looks REALLY stiff playing Xanadu, for some reason... The volume pedal part is just so.... AWKWARD.... And just the way he's holding the guitar.... But, hey... I know he's got some arthritis problems in his fingers, and it almost looks as he is AFRAID to mess up, probably for that reason.... This tour, I couldn't care less about flubs (That "Between The Wheels" solo from Lincoln wasn't pretty, and it just looked like Alex completely lost his place and forgot where he was... Or just plain forgot the solo....)... Like Neil messed up the fill in Natural Science, the other night.... I think it makes them all the more lovable this tour... They're having fun playing all that old stuff, on those CLASSIC instruments.... And they did it for US..... I give credit to Neil for just getting out of his comfort zone (Or uncomfortable zone, depending of what opinion whe have of his new setup and style) and to go back to playing the old kit!! HOW incredibly cool is that!!! I can say as a drummer myself too, that it's not that obvious switching setups like that ..... Playing Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu might not be too bad, since he never or barely played them on the new kit, but Tom Sawyer, and Natural Science got plenty of performances on the new setup, so it might be hard to revert to the old tom placement for the fills..... Edited by Supersyl
  • Like 3

It's an inconvenience to be an imperfect human being, who can't hit every note perfectly every time.

It's even more of an inconvenience to be an older, imperfect human being, who can't hit all those perfect notes as often as he used to.....

• Like 7

All of your feedback was understood before my initial post. Just wanted to make a space for being a little snarky. I can't even pull off a decent B chord. Tried to clarify that with my tone in the start of the thread. My bad.
  • Like 1

It's an inconvenience to be an imperfect human being, who can't hit every note perfectly every time.

It's even more of an inconvenience to be an older, imperfect human being, who can't hit all those perfect notes as often as he used to.....

This!

I agree.........BUT.....hold on

it's 3 freakin' shows in!!!!!!!!!!

relax, lol

Mick

Yep!

Rush Sucks!!!

NO...I keep telling you...that's PRIMUS!

Here's my take on this...Like Mick said "it's THREE shows in" They're playing a LOT of stuff they haven't played in a while...they are playing on instruments that they haven't played on in a while..would you rather they just do what they did last tour, play the same set list, on the same stuff...and call it a day?

• Like 2

All of your feedback was understood before my initial post. Just wanted to make a space for being a little snarky. I can't even pull off a decent B chord. Tried to clarify that with my tone in the start of the thread. My bad.

Don't take our comments to heart. Right now, this is my favorite thread.

Alex looks REALLY stiff playing Xanadu, for some reason... The volume pedal part is just so.... AWKWARD.... And just the way he's holding the guitar.... But, hey... I know he's got some arthritis problems in his fingers, and it almost looks as he is AFRAID to mess up, probably for that reason.... This tour, I couldn't care less about flubs (That "Between The Wheels" solo from Lincoln wasn't pretty, and it just looked like Alex completely lost his place and forgot where he was... Or just plain forgot the solo....)... Like Neil messed up the fill in Natural Science, the other night.... I think it makes them all the more lovable this tour... They're having fun playing all that old stuff, on those CLASSIC instruments.... And they did it for US..... I give credit to Neil for just getting out of his comfort zone (Or uncomfortable zone, depending of what opinion whe have of his new setup and style) and to go back to playing the old kit!! HOW incredibly cool is that!!! I can say as a drummer myself too, that it's not that obvious switching setups like that ..... Playing Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu might not be too bad, since he never or barely played them on the new kit, but Tom Sawyer, and Natural Science got plenty of performances on the new setup, so it might be hard to revert to the old tom placement for the fills.....

I agree with all of the above.

Alex looks REALLY stiff playing Xanadu, for some reason... The volume pedal part is just so.... AWKWARD.... And just the way he's holding the guitar.... But, hey... I know he's got some arthritis problems in his fingers, and it almost looks as he is AFRAID to mess up, probably for that reason.... This tour, I couldn't care less about flubs (That "Between The Wheels" solo from Lincoln wasn't pretty, and it just looked like Alex completely lost his place and forgot where he was... Or just plain forgot the solo....)... Like Neil messed up the fill in Natural Science, the other night.... I think it makes them all the more lovable this tour... They're having fun playing all that old stuff, on those CLASSIC instruments.... And they did it for US..... I give credit to Neil for just getting out of his comfort zone (Or uncomfortable zone, depending of what opinion whe have of his new setup and style) and to go back to playing the old kit!! HOW incredibly cool is that!!! I can say as a drummer myself too, that it's not that obvious switching setups like that ..... Playing Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu might not be too bad, since he never or barely played them on the new kit, but Tom Sawyer, and Natural Science got plenty of performances on the new setup, so it might be hard to revert to the old tom placement for the fills.....

I agree with all of the above.

Like I said, Rush sucks!

Your video clips are a nice addition, two, er too.

What video clips?

What video clips?

The Huge Waste of Time sig. had a busty montage going at one point

What video clips?

The Huge Waste of Time sig. had a busty montage going at one point

Shouldn't life be full of busty montages?
  • Like 1

From the St. Paul show it's clear that Neil didn't practice NS enough. ;) That is a tough fill, but I never heard him flub it that bad! :P

It happens to the best of them! :D

I've tried to watch as many R40 videos on YouTube as I can get my hands on, and to be honest...Alex is really struggling on a few songs.

It may be the psoriatic arthritis, who knows. Yeah, they are all human (barely). More like superhuman... and it's just not like them (more Alex and maybe a little Neil) to be this stiff and rusty after months of preparation.

In the end, they are still gods and the best at what they do. :rush:

Rehearsals are different than actually going on the road. The rehearsals take place in one venue but playing on a tour is a whole different thing because of the travel. Alex may be struggling because of his arthritis or may just be he's not in the tour rhythm yet. I would imagine it takes most bands a week or two to settle into touring mode. Also, he's playing a double neck guitar during Xanadu and i'm not sure how much those things weigh but i'm guessing they're probably a little heavy for a 62 year old man with not much upper body muscle to carry. If he's being careful with his playing and trying not to mess anything up then good. That means we're guaranteed to get the best playing possible from him.

I hope it's Alex just trying to play everything right and not his arthritis causing him problems.