Anybody else think (song) drags like hell?

hammerofthor

Yeah, I play, so I guess we can just chalk it up to old age then? He's been slowing tempos up for years, especially on S&A tour. ATWAS seems slow to me as well, but I guess it is what it is. Listen to the ABC 1974 bootleg, that version kicks ass.

Flat out wrong. SnA tour did feature some slower tempos, but the last couple of tours have been spot on or even faster than the studio versions.

WYD is a hard song to sing when it's up to tempo. I would imagine with Geddys vocal range limit now that they slowed it down so that he can handle singing it easier.
  • Like 4

So much misunderstanding about drumming from non drummers. At the end of a tour, I'm sure the exhaustion is setting in, but not at this point from someone of Neil's caliber. Once you really develop the wrists and ankles(and finger control) to world class level, it's still taxing, but not like running a ditance race or anything. Plus, Neil is not even doing that many fills or anything that hard in that song. He could EASILY pick up the tempo in that song if he wanted to which he doesn't. The tempo of the song has nothing to do with Neil being tired. In fact, I would say Neil has been the most "spot on" member so far on this tour.

As far as Neil being in pain from tendonitis, I guess it's possible, but it wouldn't affect his playing.(I'm a drummer who has battled elbow tendonitis as well) He had tendonitis BAD on the T4E tour(even wearing an arm brace in live shows), but it didn't affect the quality of his performances.(straight from Neil's mouth) So unless you see him with an elbow brace on this tour, I would say it's not close to the worse pain he's been in.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 2

So much misunderstanding about drumming from non drummers. At the end of a tour, I'm sure the exhaustion is setting in, but not at this point from someone of Neil's caliber. Once you really develop the wrists and ankles(and finger control) to world class level, it's still taxing, but not like running a ditance race or anything. Plus, Neil is not even doing that many fills or anything that hard in that song. He could EASILY pick up the tempo in that song if he wanted to which he doesn't. The tempo of the song has nothing to do with Neil being tired.

Truthfully...I get more warmed up as the night goes on...but as I said...this isn't dragging from a fatigue issue...it's just the way they've settled in to playing it.

• Like 2

Maybe you think they should play like hyper chipmunks like they did on the St. Catherine's video with Rutsey. Start out at normal tempo and by the end of the song they're about to go off the rails.

I'm pretty sure they dialed in the tempo they wanted during rehearsals. With this set list, complaining about the WYD tempo is like complaining about the color of the napkins at a gourmet restaurant.

• Like 1

So much misunderstanding about drumming from non drummers. At the end of a tour, I'm sure the exhaustion is setting in, but not at this point from someone of Neil's caliber. Once you really develop the wrists and ankles(and finger control) to world class level, it's still taxing, but not like running a ditance race or anything. Plus, Neil is not even doing that many fills or anything that hard in that song. He could EASILY pick up the tempo in that song if he wanted to which he doesn't. The tempo of the song has nothing to do with Neil being tired. In fact, I would say Neil has been the most "spot on" member so far on this tour.

As far as Neil being in pain from tendonitis, I guess it's possible, but it wouldn't affect his playing.(I'm a drummer who has battled elbow tendonitis as well) He had tendonitis BAD on the T4E tour(even wearing an arm brace in live shows), but it didn't affect the quality of his performances.(straight from Neil's mouth) So unless you see him with an elbow brace on this tour, I would say it's not close to the worse pain he's been in.

I can see the OPs point, WYD is my least favorite song on ATWAS. It's great they're busting out something from way back, but I think In the End would have been much better for the end of the show. Especially because well, you know...

I think this does drag a little, but I think the reason is the lyrics..... Sometimes if you play a song too fast the vocalist can't get the rhythm and breathing right. The lyrics on WYD are almost like a blues rap.... If you haven't done the song in a while then it can be hard to get it right. We do some covers in our band and some we speed up a few BPM....but some you just can't do it cause of the way the lyrics are structured...

Try and do You Shook Me All Night Long by ACDC even 5 BPM faster.... You'd pass out trying to sing it....

Hammer, sorry you asked yet? :LOL:

:LOL: ...

Well, it's true. The man asked a question and gets :smash: for asking it. :LOL:

I know. Its one of the reasons that I better really want to know something before I dare ask. Also I am most certainly not going to start any thread with spoiler in it. I would certainly break a rule or two unintentionally... :codger:

Well, if you ask a question in an insulting manner, prepare to be insulted.

Anybody else think What You're Doing drags like hell? Or that Neil is really "half assing" it on this song.

No. But I do think you're half assing it with this thread. It's about the groove son, Neil is laying deep in the pocket on this one. After two hours of melting our faces with epic awesomeness and you're bitching about this. God help me.

• Like 1

But you're right, groove or no groove, over playing or under playing, it seems petty of me to pick on one song. Neil has certainly earned the right to play it anyway he wants. Sorry Neil. (Like he gives a shit, lol) Guess I was just hoping to see one of my favorite drummers go all out, playing crazy, one last time.

Actually I think Neil should be commended for not overplaying the hell out of this tune, and keeping it true to the vibe of Rutsey's original.