Damn Right I Got The Blues

Figured I could start a general blues thread. I usually see a topic here or there about Stevie Ray Vaughan or Joe Bonamassa and they never last long.

Over the last few years I've absolutely fallen for Buddy Guy's latest outputs. His 2010 album, Living Proof is probably one of the best blues albums of the last 10 years. You can easily hear the inspiration Hendrix found in him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/Buddy_Guy_-_2010_Living_Proof_Album_Art.jpg

• Like 3

We've already got a Bonamassa thread, and I'm sure there's a blues thread buried in there somewhere, but it's no biggie. You've started off the thread good and proper with my personal favorite blues artist ever, Buddy Guy. Love his stuff. He took that Chicago blues and lit a fire under its ass with that pure energy of his.

I had the opportunity to see him front row with my dad at the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis when I was 10 years old. I don't have many specific memories of that show, except for one magical moment. That day there was a bad storm coming in, and the rain killed a lot of the stage rig power, so at some point in the show Buddy switched to unplugged and played Feels Like Rain and looked right at me at one point. That was unforgettable.

• Like 2

Joe Bonamassa's recent live album full of Howlin' Wolf-Muddy Waters covers was really good too. Anybody hear it?

I got the DVD as soon as it came out. Great material!

Buddy's Sweet Tea album is powerful stuff. The tone he's pulling there is amazing. Strong strong effort.

Sweat Tea has an incredibly powerful feeling throughout, he makes those covers better than the originals by Junior Kimbrough in my opinion. Baby Please Don't Leave Me has one of the most badass bass playing I've ever heard. The song sounds so raw and it completely overwhelms me. Tramp also is great, it's got this super humid feeling like you're walking through a thick swamp and a storm is rolling in

• Like 1

We've already got a Bonamassa thread, and I'm sure there's a blues thread buried in there somewhere, but it's no biggie. You've started off the thread good and proper with my personal favorite blues artist ever, Buddy Guy. Love his stuff. He took that Chicago blues and lit a fire under its ass with that pure energy of his.

I had the opportunity to see him front row with my dad at the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis when I was 10 years old. I don't have many specific memories of that show, except for one magical moment. That day there was a bad storm coming in, and the rain killed a lot of the stage rig power, so at some point in the show Buddy switched to unplugged and played Feels Like Rain and looked right at me at one point. That was unforgettable.

http://youtu.be/QButLzJB5SI

I've seen him three times, he's an incredible performer. First was in 2011 when he opened for BB King (and stole the show), second was a headlining act. He played "Drowning on Dry Land" and walked through the audience. He stopped in the row behind me, sat in an empty seat and played. As he finished the show, we rushed the stage and he handed me a pick.

http://i.imgur.com/q60jpJa.jpg?1

I saw him in April 2014 as he played with the Experience Hendrix group and he signed a copy of Living Proof for me after doing a great cover of Red House

• Like 1

I discovered this live album by chance a few months ago and it's probably my favorite BB King record. He does an absolutely beautiful cover of Hummingbird

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/169/MI0000169738.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I love Buddy Guy!

Saw him with Tommy Castro and BB KING in Concord California.

He stole the show with his guitar. Walked out into the crowd and jammed! Even Carlos Santana came out and jammed with BB.

Epic show but Buddy stole the fuckking show. JMO

HE RULES!

If there's such a thing as an amateur blues scholar, then I'm one.

I have a shitload of first edition blues lps from Wolf to Albert King to Mayall and all points in between. It all started when I got The Complete Robert Johnson Recordings back in the early 90's. Knocked me for six.

As Lord Trousersnake once elicited, "I love the blues, they tell my story".

• Like 2

Listening mainly to metal and rock music I find myself liking more bluesmen with what I call a 'harder skin': Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter above all.

For the same reason I'm not much in love with Clapton and Bonamassa: great players but too gentlemen with their instrument.

Went to a Kenny Wayne Shepherd's gig lately; I didn't know him and it's been a great surprise.

• Like 2

Listening mainly to metal and rock music I find myself liking more bluesmen with what I call a 'harder skin': Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter above all.

For the same reason I'm not much in love with Clapton and Bonamassa: great players but too gentlemen with their instrument.

Went to a Kenny Wayne Shepherd's gig lately; I didn't know him and it's been a great surprise.

I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd do the Experience Hendrix tour and he is very very good. He played Voodoo Chile flawlessly

• Like 2

Here's a man keeping the blues going today, along with the younger folks like Bonamassa and KWS, here's Gary Clark Jr. playing my favorite song of his, When My Train Pulls In. Got a great grooving riff. As a player I don't do too much of the fuzz myself but Gary plays it beautifully.

• Like 1

I'm much the same way. Actually, that's precisely why I love Bonamassa. Bonamassa's really good with the blues but manages to make it sound balls to the wall hard rock. Have you heard his cover of Tea For One by Led Zeppelin? Absolutely phenomenal.

Buddy Guy, my favorite blues player, is similar. He takes the blues and kicks you in the ass with it, particularly in his live performances.

I'm trying to get into Gary Moore but his discography is pretty vast so I'm not sure where to start with him.

• Like 1

Here's a man keeping the blues going today, along with the younger folks like Bonamassa and KWS, here's Gary Clark Jr. playing my favorite song of his, When My Train Pulls In. Got a great grooving riff. As a player I don't do too much of the fuzz myself but Gary plays it beautifully.

http://youtu.be/_mpnT7zqhLk

His Bright Lights hit is really good too. I loved his live album he released

• Like 1